R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Does it bother you that the dual panel sunroof lacks a solid sun shade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:35 AM
DiggyDog
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. very much. In fact it was the reason I did not get the sunroof.

For those who say "buy a baseball cap", please explain how buying a baseball cap will lower the ambient interior teperature on a summer afternoon after the Florida sun has been beating through the mesh thingy for several hours....

Old 05-27-2009, 10:14 AM
mini_racer
5th Gear
I believe the roof is correct as designed. A 'Sun'roof does not have an opaque screen to cover it, but a 'Moon'roof does. So this is not a design flaw, you could consider it a vehicle options offering shortcoming though.

The problem is that we have a Sunroof, and some of us would rather have a Moonroof.

I first had mine reflective tinted, then added a sunshade from Statmosphere, it was not cheap, but worth every penny in TX. It stays firmly in-place about 8 months every year.

Last edited by mini_racer; 05-27-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:22 AM
matty125
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stockae92
Does it bother you that the dual panel sunroof lacks a solid sun shade?
Does the sun comes through too much during sunny days? What about noise?
No, I have a perferated roof graphic and it blocks most of the sun rays and looks great too.
The s no extra noise from the sunroof either.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mini_racer
I believe the roof is correct as designed. A 'Sun'roof does not have an opaque screen to cover it, but a 'Moon'roof does. So this is not a design flaw, you could consider it a vehicle options offering shortcoming though.

The problem is that we have a Sunroof, and some of us would rather have a Moonroof.

I first had mine reflective tinted, then added a sunshade from Statmosphere, it was not cheap, but worth every penny in TX. It stays firmly in-place about 8 months every year.
Hey mini_racer, I respectfully beg to differ on your definition. A sunroof will have a solid metal (or fiberglass) surface whereas a moonroof will always be transparent glass, usually tinted. In every instance that I can think of, the moonroof is accompanied by a solid, upholstered panel to block all light if so desired.

We really don't have a sunroof, it's a moonroof. An believe it or not, there's a Wikipedia page on Sunroof to support my claims.

That said, Mini really didn't understand the impact on cabin temperature with moonroofs. I strongly believe they should have used a solid cover, like the rest of the world.

Best regards,
Terry

Old 05-28-2009, 02:01 PM
mini_racer
5th Gear
Ok got it, and I certainly am not gonna argue with Wikipedia.

And yes, the bottom line is that it should have an opaque cover to 100% block the Sun.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mini_racer
Ok got it, and I certainly am not gonna argue with Wikipedia.
Yeah, if it's in Wiki, it has to be true.

Actually, we all make poke fun at Wikipedia but there really is some accurate content mixed in there.

Best,
T

Old 05-29-2009, 01:02 AM
Alphawave
Absolutely does NOT bother me at all, but I'm a sun worshiper. Sunroof was essential, I wouldn't own a MINI without one (or cabriolet?) :D While the MINI's interior is roomier than perceived, the sunroof opens the space up with natural light, and an extra inch of headroom for tall folks like me. I would feel claustrophobic in a MINI without it. If it had an opaque shade, I'd never use it.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:24 AM
snickers
Neutral
Never used the one in my old car over the last 10 years, no reason to think I'll ever miss it on this one.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Oski
1st Gear
It used to bother me until I got it tinted 20%. Now I really hardly notice that it's there, but I love to pop it open to let the hot air out when the car's parked in the sun. Love the double panes because the air can circulate better. My kids love the sunroof because it makes the car feel bigger when they sit in the back.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:46 PM
ZippeeGear
Former Vendor
Here are some more pics

Originally Posted by pm-belgium
https://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coo..._sunshade.html

Here ya go !! for those that want if darker !! ;-)

Here are a few more pics:

Old 06-06-2009, 10:25 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
Nope!

Nope! I don't have a sunroof! Never found one that didn't leak...PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Old 06-07-2009, 05:46 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
If my previous experience was that sunroofs leak, I guess then I would be one of those that does not get a sunroof. However, previous cars that I had, i never had a sunroof and then I decided to buy a new '98 Prelude and it had a sunroof. I loved the sunroof and I still have that car. It never leaked and what I mostly like is keeping the sunroof in the up position to ventilate but not open position. In fact, I leave it in that position almost all the time even when it rains. It never leaked even when in the ventilation/up position !!!

My experience with the sunroofs on the Clubman have so far been good. I have had no leaks. I also can leave it in the ventilate/up position when it is raining out and it does not leak. I like that if you momentarily touch the toggle switch, the sunroofs open to the full ventilate position whereas on my Prelude, you had to hunt for that position since it had no preset stop for the full ventilate position. Only real thing on the Clubman sunroofs that could be better is the lack of a decent base tint and a sliding opaque cover which my prelude had and we are talking 11 years ago !!

So....I was considering for starters, just getting a tint film to put on the sunroofs. Probably give it a shot as a DIY job if I can find a decent place online that sells just a sunroof kit. The ZippeeShade seems okay but since it takes up some room on the sunroof underside, it probably cuts down on whatever minimal ventilation you get in the ventilate position which is what I like most.

Any short list for getting just a sunroof tint from an online vendor ?? It can't be too expensive for 2 measly film pieces !

Old 06-07-2009, 06:30 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OLarryR

Any short list for getting just a sunroof tint from an online vendor ?? It can't be too expensive for 2 measly film pieces !
Try "Gila" static cling DIY window tint sold at Autozone for $10.99. Cut to fit, and if you spray water between it and the glass, you can do quite a professional-looking job yourself. Comes in 20% and 5%, depending on your needs/preferences. Tried both, IMO, 5% is perfect for intense climates. No metal in it, cuts way back on the intense sun/glare coming in; can still see out just fine. Problem solved.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:52 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Thanks ! I'll look into the Gila products for sunroof tint !!

Old 06-08-2009, 03:15 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
I stopped by the auto store today and picked up the 5% tint film. Where I was today, the Autozone store was not near me but a PepBoys was and both stores were listed on the Gila website as selling their products. However, Pepboys had 3 different competitive brands of film but no Gila brand. They all looked pretty similar. I wound up getting a 5% made by Axios. Dimensions are 2' x 6 1/2' which is plenty for the dual sunroofs. I measured the sunroofs as approximately 24" x 30" each.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:13 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
I stopped by the auto store today and picked up the 5% tint film. Where I was today, the Autozone store was not near me but a PepBoys was and both stores were listed on the Gila website as selling their products. However, Pepboys had 3 different competitive brands of film but no Gila brand. They all looked pretty similar. I wound up getting a 5% made by Axios. Dimensions are 2' x 6 1/2' which is plenty for the dual sunroofs. I measured the sunroofs as approximately 24" x 30" each.
I think that was the brand I bought from Walmart the first time I tried the static cling tint. Don't know if they're all that way, but the box I happened to get had a definite "purple-ish" tint when looking through it (very annoying looking up at it). I ended up returning that one, then looking at several more boxes by holding the film up to the light (all of which seemed the same color), and finally searched for a different brand. That's how I ended up with the "Gila" (and so far we're very satisfied with it; ≈ 9 mos., no issues). IIRC, the Axios contained a little more product, but both offered enough to complete both sunroofs with a bit to spare.

BTW, be sure to really soak the glass and tint film with the soapy water solution to help it slide easily, and then squeegee as much of the water out as possible to get it nice and smooth, and bubble-free. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:12 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
I will probably give it a shot some time this next weekend. I have not taken it out of the box yet but the box cover indicates it is a charcoal grey, so hopefully that is close to what it looks like. In any case, certainly reasonable enough in cost to experiment with and see how it turns out. Thanks for the suggestion because I did not realize that some of the local stores carry the film.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:36 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Glad to help. It may have been just a bad dye lot of tint, in my case. It's really a great solution because you can still look out and get full ventilation, yet it's easily removable if/when ever you want. No more migraine headaches from the glare!

Best of luck with it!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:05 PM
hoonu
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbod
Live in Houston, lots of sun, no problem. I rarely even remember or are reminded that there is not a solid roof over my head. Its one of the few cars I've owned where the sunroof doesn't seem just like a hole cut in the top.
Ditto. North Carolina. I read all the discussion about this before I ordered, and while I waited for delivery. I decided to wait on ordering shades...haven't needed them. There have been a handful of instances that the light through the screen was more than I liked, but the heat hasn't been an issue. Obviously, YMMV.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:56 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
I should explain why I want to put a tint film on the sunroof glass. It would seem obvious but maybe needs a bit of explaining. I agree that the shade mesh provides adequate shade from the sun. But I like to keep my A/C on low settings...like next to the lowest setting for the fan. That way the fan is quiet. At the third slowest fan speed, the fan is also fairly quiet but above that fan speed you definitely notice the fan noise and I see no reason to keep it regularly at a high fan speed setting. So...by cutting down a bit on sun rays that come in via the sunroofs, the second lowest fan speed position should be adequate.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Alphawave
I should explain why I want to put a tint film on the sunroof glass. It would seem obvious but maybe needs a bit of explaining. I agree that the shade mesh provides adequate shade from the sun. But I like to keep my A/C on low settings...like next to the lowest setting for the fan. That way the fan is quiet. At the third slowest fan speed, the fan is also fairly quiet but above that fan speed you definitely notice the fan noise and I see no reason to keep it regularly at a high fan speed setting. So...by cutting down a bit on sun rays that come in via the sunroofs, the second lowest fan speed position should be adequate.
I solve all sound issues by cranking up the tunage! I do my meditating at home or work!

Old 07-05-2009, 09:05 PM
tattedXB
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DiggyDog

For those who say "buy a baseball cap", please explain how buying a baseball cap will lower the ambient interior teperature on a summer afternoon after the Florida sun has been beating through the mesh thingy for several hours....
You're kidding right? It's obvious man, just get one of those baseball caps with the little fans on it - and voila, cool cabin!

Last edited by tattedXB; 07-05-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:37 PM
jtc
2nd Gear
I've honestly never had a problem with heat, and I live in Southern California. I generally drive with the AC on the lowest setting or the windows open and that's always been enough to make the cabin comfortable.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Alphawave
Originally Posted by tattedXB
You're kidding right? It's obvious man, just get one of those baseball caps with the little fans on it - and voila, cool cabin!
Der! Every MINI Clubman comes with a harem of beauties, fanning the sweat from my forehead. Did you forget about this most important option!?!

Old 07-05-2009, 09:41 PM
tattedXB
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jtc
I've honestly never had a problem with heat, and I live in Southern California. I generally drive with the AC on the lowest setting or the windows open and that's always been enough to make the cabin comfortable.
Good to know, I live in OC- so I'm hoping the sun won't heat up my car to baking temperatures and I can live w/o the need to tint the sunroof. Guess i'll find out in oh, 6-8 weeks or so (I hate that I have to wait that long!)

Quick Reply: R55 Does it bother you that the dual panel sunroof lacks a solid sun shade?