R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 What comes with a new Clubman S?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 06:44 PM
DavidJS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What comes with a new Clubman S?

I found out that my car will start production next week, and, of course, I'm trying to keep myself calm while I wait for the car by buying things.

1) Since it will have run-flat tires, are there any tools that come with the car?

2) Aside from detailing stuff, anything not provided that I should have right from the start?

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2009, 09:30 PM
johnhardy1
1st Gear
David,

Seems our Clubman's are very near the same timeline.

I would like to 2nd your questions and add: what surprises (idiosyncrasies, etc) should I expect?

Old 05-22-2009, 10:45 PM
09 CMS
1st Gear
basic tools that hide in the boot of the car. there is also a net that comes with the car that goes in the boot to hold stuff down. you shouldn't need anything from the start since the car is under warranty

Old 05-23-2009, 05:53 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Hi Guys !

I received my Clubman S at the end of March. I now have over 2000 miles on it and no issues - everything as it should be. There are a few quirky things - nonproblems...just different.
1) In all other cars that I have owned, if you press down on the lock door switch, the door(s) lock and lift the switch up, the door(s) unlock. On this MINI, it does not matter which way you toggle the switch, if doors are locked, they unlock and vice versa. So, if you press down to lock the doors and then 1 minute later forget if you locked the doors and press down again on the swithc...then you just opened the doors. Not a big deal - Just different.
2) Same goes for the fog lamps...except there is a fog lamp indicator - so you know when the fog lamps are on.
3) The Clubman has one backup light. It's on the right side rear. The left side rear has a red reflector. If you ordered rear fog lamps, then the left rear reflector where the backup light should be will come on if the rear fog lamps have been turned on. Don't ask me why this is - That's the way it is ! No big deal...but different.

You don't need this...but if you drive on fast congested roads regularly, you may want to consider getting a clear mask/bra for the bumpers and partial or full bonnet to prevent paint chips from road grit. I had 3M matl installed and it turned out great.

The MINIs get a lot of brake dust from what I guess is relatively soft brake pads. Anyway, I never really gave brake dust any thoughts until I drove the MINI for 2 weeks or so. So....may want to consider cleaning/washing supplies (ie. separate sponge, etc for the wheels). Check in the Wheels section of this Forum or do a search on cleaning supplies or wheels and you should come up with what others are using to clean their MIN , if interested.

By the way...no coin holder. Some use a round canister that is marketed. It has spring holders for inserting coins on it's top and it fits into one of the cup holders.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:24 AM
amusingdream
2nd Gear
if you have spent any time on this site then i am sure you already know this but just in case:
GET A LIGHT IN SIGHT.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:01 AM
DavidJS
2nd Gear
So I take it there is no tire inflation compressor? What tools are in the boot compartment? Just tire changing tools?

Old 05-23-2009, 09:54 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
I saw no tire inflator/compressor. If there is some hidden compartment and there is one - That will be a surprise !

About 6 months or so ago, I was looking into small tire compressors to carry in the trunk or leave on the work bench at home. After checking various sources, including Amazon and Epinions, I bought a Via Air compressor. It is relatively quiet for a compressor and fills up a tire prettyy fast compared to some other auto compressors being sold.

One thing to consider if you buy a small auto compressor: I would recommend getting one that hooks up to the battery directly versus the 12volt plug. Depending on which car you use the compressor, some of these small compressors will exceed the amps of the 12 volt plug fuse. It depends what size fuse is used by each automaker for their 12 volt plugs and the compressor you are using. If you hook up direct to the battery with a compressor that is furnished w/small battery clamps - then no problems. The Via Air is a mini-compressor in aa small plastic bag. You can get the model w/small battery clamps. Also...rcmd never truxt the air gages on the small compressors. They are oftentimes hard to make out the pressure reading on them and not very accurate. best to keep checking with a tire gage and then add air as appropriate.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:58 AM
DavidJS
2nd Gear
Thank you, OLarryR. I was actually looking at that Viair. The 070 model comes with the cig lighter plug. You are recommending that I look at the next higher model with the battery clips instead for the Mini? Is the outlet in the car too current-limited by the fuse for use of that compressor (specs say max 14 amp draw for the compressor)?

Last edited by DavidJS; 05-23-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:02 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidJS
So I take it there is no tire inflation compressor? What tools are in the boot compartment? Just tire changing tools?
No Tire Compressor.

One of two things could happen

1. You get no tools, which is what seemed to happen for a while, but now seems that they put some in.

2. You will get the following:
Jack
Lug Wrench
Torx Driver (dual tip)
Philips/Flat (dual tip)
Handle for torx or philips/flat
Tow Hook

That is about it.

Also depending on what packages you ordered and whether you are in the US or another country there will be differences.

I.E. if you ordered the Bluetooth/iPod/USB option inthe US you will get the iPod "Y-Cable" if you are in Canada or Mexico then you will have to pay extra for it.

In the US the Rear of the car comes with the "Flat Floor" Standard in ohter parts of the world in is an extra cost option. Same with the secret compartment

List what you ordered and where you live and we can give more details.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:22 AM
DavidJS
2nd Gear
OK, thanks. I live in New Jersey (ordered from Princeton Mini). I ordered my Clubman S with comfort bluetooth and smartphone prep, premium/sport/convenience/cold-weather packages.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:53 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
David,

I forget what the amp draw is of the different ViAir auto compressors and I have not checked what the MINI 12 volt plug fuse is rated. It's very possible that the fuse will be okay for the compressor. It's just that you may wind up using the compressor for more than one car and not all cars have high amp 12 volt plugs. But if you have checked out all the fuses and the amp draw of the ViAir model you are considering, then you may be fine with the model that has the 12 volt adapter versus the more expensive one with the small battery clamps.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Lyme
2nd Gear
One thing that I got with my new Clubman that was not listed in any of the product brochures is a permasmile whenever I sit in the driver's seat or just look at my car.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:39 AM
DavidJS
2nd Gear
For anyone who's curious, it seems the cig lighter plug is rated at 200 watts (according to the owner's manual). At 12 volts, that would be good for nearly 17 amps. So the Viair 70 compressor, which says it draws a maximum of 14 amps, should be fine in the lighter socket.