R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Another new Clubman in KC

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009 | 02:07 PM
tdiguy
|
1st Gear
Another new Clubman in KC

Greetings all.

Since I still have my VW, I don't need to change my id, but my wife and I, after 4 months of discussions, multiple test drives in Hondas, Scions, Volvos, VWs, Vibes, and BMWs (at least), long chats with dealers and tons of reading, acquired our new silver Clubman yesterday. As we said last night, we have never deliberated about anything as much as we did about this. (Possibly including marriage, and we've made it 31 years so far.) It was not at the top of our list when we started back in January, but everything else fell away in comparison. We drove the Mini several times, including renting one for a 500 mile weekend trip to my parents' house. That was the clincher. I was afraid that the seats would be too snug, but the non-sport seats were fine for all those hours. And as my folks live in northwest Arkansas, we drove from their house over to Eureka Springs and loved the handling through the mountains. I have driven VWs for years, but this was an even snappier ride through those curves. And we got nearly 40 mpg while going too fast on the highway and whizzing through some outlandishly twisty roads. A delight and a miser with the gas!

So, just saying hello. Posted before as a questioner, now I am an owner. As a non-technical, non-car-guy reader I won't be contributing much, but I have enjoyed the writing and bonhomie here, Bought it at Baron Mini; our salesman was Tom Seeling, who exhibited exemplary patience and persistence. A nearly perfect testing, evaluating and buying experience.

Getting stripes and tinting on Thursday; will post a photo then.

Jim Clark

Old 05-26-2009 | 04:37 PM
rycomm
Neutral
Was this the silver non S with the roof rails? I've been going through the same questions as you, and have narrowed it down to a couple of finalists. My experience with Baron has also been first rate. Congrats, and post a pic if you can.

Ryan

Old 05-27-2009 | 06:56 AM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
What color are the stripes? Mine are black. I think it'd look fast in black stripes on silver. See my pics gallery for an example.

Old 05-27-2009 | 07:04 AM
tdiguy
|
1st Gear
Yes Ryan, it was the non-S with the rails. There's a chocolate one similarly configured, but we really liked the silver better. And yes, the stripes are black (or will be when installed.) Before buying it I thought them gratuitous, but after seeing them, for the cost I think we will get many years of enjoyment from them.

Hope to see you about when you get yours on the road!

Old 05-27-2009 | 08:46 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Congrats! From another KC Clubman owner........

I ordered mine in early Jan from Baron and picked it up in late Feb and now have 5k on it with pretty much no problems, we just got back from the Black Hills Run where we averaged 33 mpg - and that's with an S, your "justaclubman" will do even better. You're gonna love youre new Clubster!

If you can, plan on attending the MINIS at the Market event at the end of June, you can meet many of the KC MINI club members there......here's a link to a thread for the event on the KC Club's forum. If you haven't already, be sure to join the forum - our club is a no dues, just for fun club......

http://forums.kcminiclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1764

Old 05-27-2009 | 11:56 AM
ddminikc
2nd Gear
Hey tdiguy, congratulations on your choice. I am also another new Clubman owner in KC. We just picked ours up last Saturday. Ours is a Lightning Blue/Black S. We only have about 150 miles on the Clubman but love it so far. I hope you can make it to some of the KC clubs events, we always love to see new MINIs!

Old 05-27-2009 | 12:54 PM
tdiguy
|
1st Gear
Yep--I will certainly be at the River Market. I was unaware of that list.

Mine will be an unadorned one, as I do not really love cars or their culture, but I'm guessing we will enjoy the social aspect of it. (Or may--I describe myself as a demographic of one, so we'll see!)

Old 05-27-2009 | 01:00 PM
hollyross
2nd Gear
We're in KC too and have the Chili Red S Clubman...I saw a silver one on Ward Parkway a day or so ago...you? Go to the Market, it's fun. We had the only Clubbie last year.

Old 05-27-2009 | 08:52 PM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
CONGRATS TDIGUY!

We got ours 2 weeks ago and love it very much! I too own a VW TDI! Love that as well....2005.5 Jetta TDI! Got almost 70K on her and she is going stronger than ever (much better MPG now that she's broken in)!

Glad to have you on the site and again congrats and welcome!

Old 05-28-2009 | 05:11 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
congrats on yr awesome choice

Old 06-01-2009 | 02:08 PM
nutmeggy13
1st Gear
Hi all! I'm a new Clubman in KC too! I traded in my 06 S convertible on the Pepper White JCW Clubman they had on the lot. I would like to get stripes put on too, who is doing yours?

Old 06-01-2009 | 02:23 PM
kansasbob98
2nd Gear
Welcome to new K.C. MINI owners! If you want stripes go back to Baron and talk to Samer. He'll set you up with Todd who has now done vinyl graphics on 2000 MINI's. I think your imagination is the limit.
Check out the KC MINI ENTHUSIASTS web site and join in the fun!

Old 06-02-2009 | 05:57 AM
tdiguy
|
1st Gear
I would agree completely. That pepper white Clubman was lovely--but had the sport seats and I am just not comfortable in those.

Just be sure you specify the stripes you want. Mine end at the hood line; I wanted them to go all the way down the front. But I thought the dealer prices reasonable, and I liked that when done there they are included in the warranty. I also had the Invisashield done. He did not push this at all (nor anythng else, really); I asked for it based on reading on this forum. And at this point, 350 miles in, we are perfectly happy!

Old 06-02-2009 | 04:49 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Congrats on the new Mini! I'm in KC as well. Don't have a new Mini yet but I have a classic Yellow Mini and she'll be at the River Market show. Hope to see you there.