R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Bye bye run flats, burned right through em

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009 | 06:29 PM
isthar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BuzzCut1
22k and we are on the wear bars CYA

Kozmo is getting a set of 4 Bridgestone Potenza's put on as I type. I have them on another of my cars and I really like them. Put a couple of cans of seal and air along with an electric tire pump in the boot .

I'll let you know how they perform
My previous car had the Potenza S-03s and OMG are they sticky and high performance. So much so I wanted to get rid of them for the Hankook Evo 12.

Actually, I still have them! on 18's. Enjoy your new rubber, come summer I also will wish my RFs were gone...

Old 12-08-2009 | 07:02 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Ditched the runflats on my JCW with the JCW suspension at 5k miles on them. Now have 5k miles on 215/45/ZR17 Nitto Neogens. What a huge difference with out the runflats. The car was unbearable in the NYC area with the combination of the runflats and the JCW suspension. My car drives better, handles better, accelerates better and is now a great daily driver. I have this http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000YMP...etteraddons-20 Slime kit in the boot just in case.

Old 12-09-2009 | 08:34 AM
jameszimo
2nd Gear
I too swapped out my worn out runflats (27K) for a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position (205/55R-16). The ride is less harsh and a lot quieter! Picked up a compact spare for the boot on ebay.

Old 12-09-2009 | 12:16 PM
JavaAddict
1st Gear
So, just ordered my MCSC with the 17 in crown spoke (per run flat) but then selected the "all season" option. I guess I am still getting a run flat, but with all season tread. Tire rack website suggest they may be ContiProContact SSR. Anyone have experience with the all season OEM? Should I worry about them and replace ASAP? Definitely want a quiet and safe ride. Guess I got to worry about the spare issue also, grr.

Old 12-09-2009 | 02:32 PM
jameszimo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JavaAddict
So, just ordered my MCSC with the 17 in crown spoke (per run flat) but then selected the "all season" option. I guess I am still getting a run flat, but with all season tread. Tire rack website suggest they may be ContiProContact SSR. Anyone have experience with the all season OEM? Should I worry about them and replace ASAP? Definitely want a quiet and safe ride. Guess I got to worry about the spare issue also, grr.
Those are the ones I had on 16 in. rims. I got 27K on them before hitting the wear bars and I loved the way they handled. But, they were a harsh ride and as they wore they got more and more noisy. Also, they didn't do much in the snow for me. Other than that I didn't mind them so much. Just wanted something quieter and something with longer tread life.

Old 12-09-2009 | 04:42 PM
JavaAddict
1st Gear
Tks for info, guess I will stick with them and see how it goes. Definitely looking at ebay for spare if i dont get lucky with a spare from mini,

Old 12-09-2009 | 05:55 PM
04Mini-S
2nd Gear
I have a set of those Conti SSR's and they seem to be a fairly decent tire. They are fairly quiet. The one major problem I have is that they are rock hard since the sidewall is self supporting. I hit a slightly raised expansion joint (no more than half an inch) on the way home and the whole dash shook . I was like "G D, did I fall in a crater!!!" Needless to say Im following suit and getting rid of them.

Sorry, didnt realize I posted in the Clubman forum...

Last edited by 04Mini-S; 12-09-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-10-2009 | 12:11 AM
djmcgill
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JavaAddict
I have the 17" crown spokes with A/S tires on the Ghost and they are the ContiProContact SSRs. So far, I have 31k miles and they are still looking good. Most of my driving is highway and I have rotated them at each oil change (7.5k miles). The ride from those tires is less than great (the side walls are very stiff). I do not have a spare, but may get one, along with a road convenience kit when replacement time arrives.
When they finally wear out I'll be getting the Potenza G019s. I have G009s on the wife's 325 and had them on my previous car. Great tire for wet conditions and moderate snow. If one doesn't have a dedicated set of winter tire/wheels, the G019s should be good as a year round option.
One consideration with the spare wheel is that, on the S models, the front brake diameter prevents mounting the spare. If one has a flat on the front, they need to swap a rear to the front and then put the spare on the rear. It is an inconvenience, but in 40 years of driving, I haven't had more than 3 flat tires. The odds are good that there won't be a need to use the spare. But a spare should be had - "just in case".

Old 12-10-2009 | 12:13 AM
djmcgill
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 04Mini-S
No problem. We are all part of the same, insane, family.

Old 12-10-2009 | 06:59 AM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 04Mini-S

Welcome to the Clubman section. It really is nothing more than a base MINI stretched to accommodate the Club door. Let me tell you, those 8 inches were worth every extra penny. If you need more trunk space in the future, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Clubbie!

Old 12-10-2009 | 09:38 AM
04Mini-S
2nd Gear
I have thought about it actually. I like the regular MINI very much (except for the tires) and I've only had him a month!