R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:27 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BLAUGRANA
What is the window dipper problem?
Just look for it over in the R56 section -- a lot of the 08 MC had a problem where the auto-up function wouldn't work correctly, which usually also took out the dip (windows go down slightly when doors are opened, then go back up when doors are closed)

It was fixed with a software update in most cases.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:30 PM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mellocooper
Just look for it over in the R56 section -- a lot of the 08 MC had a problem where the auto-up function wouldn't work correctly, which usually also took out the dip (windows go down slightly when doors are opened, then go back up when doors are closed)

It was fixed with a software update in most cases.
So I'm confused. Is the dip a good thing?

Old 06-25-2009, 10:55 PM
tattedXB
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Alphawave
Oh Jeff..one more thing: We have quite a few great reports about Amanda here, so please include your experience...and another thing (I lied): test drive BOTH a Justa (especially in Sport Mode around town, freeway onramps,etc.) and then the S...you may discover the extra cost and mileage hit may not be worth it, and avoid a hoodscoop altogether. Oh lastly (I'm just a liar all around): If you do get a MINI, I hope you change your ID.
If/When I get one - I plan on changing my ID, or making a new one all together. :-D

And sorry, i'm stuck on the S - I can afford It, I want the power - that's what i'm going for :-D

Thanks as always :-D

Jeff

Old 06-25-2009, 10:57 PM
tattedXB
4th Gear
btw, thanks all for your feedback so far :-D Appreciated!

Old 06-26-2009, 04:54 AM
carman63
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've owned my Clubman S for just about a month now, with close to 4K miles on it. My only problem is a bushing for the clutch pedal, and I have an appt for that. It's my only car, and I have no regrets A blast to drive!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:58 AM
tattedXB
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tigermann
I bought mine mid April 2008 and now have about 14K miles. Here's my list of issues or concerns:

Then there are a few annoyances:

1.The car (at least a stick) needs to be driven with the SPORT button on all the time to work well - but you have to push it down every time you re-start,
2. The seatbelt buckles catch between the seat and door - just a pain
3. Mini's come with some sort of anti-corrosive stuff that's between the metal pannels under the hood and in the door jams - which oozes out over time and requires frequent cleaning
4. The black plastic/rubberish components around the outside of the car (wheel well covers, moulding, etc) get wax on them and tough to clean
5. Mini's have serious brake dust - every car wash requires a lot of time on the wheels to look good
6. If you get run-flats and pick up a nail, the dealers won't fix them due to liability issues - need to find a tire shop with a run-flat mounting machine, most will patch if the nail is not on the side walls

and...it is too easy and too much fun to drive fast and I find myself way over the limit all the time (ouch!)

But the cars are a hoot - just get one and enjoy, and with the resale value and gas savings, if you decide you don't like it, you won't be out that much anyway.
Wow, those ARE annoyances - I guess i'll just get my car cleaned each week at the car wash place in my parking lot at work, LOL - anyways, going in Tomorrow at 2pm for a test-drive, hopefully my credit has improved the past year and a half.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:08 AM
jcoop36
2nd Gear
I bought a MINI S in Oct 2007, had a few concerns prior because, like you, I became a bit fixated by the seemingly endless stories about MINI problems. The thing to remember is that folks with problems will write in to mention them, while a lot of folks who are satisfied won't, so the picture tends to get skewed. Anyhow, I drove my MINI S for 34,500 miles, and just traded it in for a 2009 Clubman S - I loved my MINI S, and now I love my Clubman - almost 700 miles in one week already! I really do like the boot barn doors! I say go for it!

Old 06-26-2009, 03:37 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tattedXB
If/When I get one - I plan on changing my ID, or making a new one all together. :-D

Jeff

LOL you can't have MinixB it's already taken. (Obviously) BTW, I asked this already but I think it got missed but what happened to the tranny in your xB?

Old 06-26-2009, 03:39 PM
tattedXB
4th Gear
Oh sorry If I missed that question - and I think I might go with TattedCLubbyS, or something like that - haha

Oh, the tranny - um, The plastic guard underneath got damaged and torn off when somebody jacked up my car incorrectly - bc of that, rocks or debris bounced up and damaged the transmission good. I was able to get a cheap replacement through through a friend that owns a body shop.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:44 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Oh ok. I was wondering if it was a manufacturer defect or something. I've got an 06 xB and an 08 xB and a 77 Mini...

Old 06-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
Stick with your ricer! j/k

Seriously, change your own oil (we have a guide here with the proper lubricants listed, and cheap sources to MINI branded filters) after the freebies, and it will be no more expensive to do so than any other car, using the same quality materials.
Alphawave....could you post a link to the guide you are referring to? Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by tigermann
I bought mine mid April 2008 and now have about 14K miles. Here's my list of issues or concerns:

Then there are a few annoyances:

1.The car (at least a stick) needs to be driven with the SPORT button on all the time to work well - but you have to push it down every time you re-start,
2. The seatbelt buckles catch between the seat and door - just a pain
3. Mini's come with some sort of anti-corrosive stuff that's between the metal pannels under the hood and in the door jams - which oozes out over time and requires frequent cleaning
4. The black plastic/rubberish components around the outside of the car (wheel well covers, moulding, etc) get wax on them and tough to clean
5. Mini's have serious brake dust - every car wash requires a lot of time on the wheels to look good
6. If you get run-flats and pick up a nail, the dealers won't fix them due to liability issues - need to find a tire shop with a run-flat mounting machine, most will patch if the nail is not on the side walls

and...it is too easy and too much fun to drive fast and I find myself way over the limit all the time (ouch!)

But the cars are a hoot - just get one and enjoy, and with the resale value and gas savings, if you decide you don't like it, you won't be out that much anyway.
As BLAUGRANA stated, the Mini video showed how to fix the seatbelt thing by pushing the plastic up and I never would have considered it myself until he pointed that out...the vids are entertaining to watch! You can find them HERE.

In response to Tigermann's info:

1. Agreed on the Sport button but it is NOT a necessity. The Sport tightens up your steering and, for lack of a better term, increases the throttle sensitivity....I like it alot and the SPORT push is second nature for me now.
2. See above on the vids.
3. Tigermann is right about the anti-corrosive stuff. It is called Cosmoline and is used to prevent corrosion. It can be a pain to keep it in check by wiping it down alot...the MINI folks use a TON of this stuff. Keeping it off of the plastic trim is kind of a pain but I have found that Simple Green does a great job of removing it and by applying "BLACK WOW" (shameless plug for a great product from OctaneGuy) once clean really helps if the cosmoline happens to come back out on the trim.
4. Again spot on. Simple Green did the trick for removing the wax/cosmoline and once the Black Wow is on it is not an issue for me to keep it clean.
5. The brake dust is an annoyance. It is VERY evident, not hard to clean off but is still kind of a pain. I have found that if you clean the wheels thoroughly and then apply some nice paste wax to your wheels (not the tires mind you) it is MUCH easier to clean that dust off....great tip from the Detailing 101 section here!
6. I have never owned run-flats before but again he is spot on. There are shops that will repair the problem, if encountered, but if you get the sidewall damaged you are pretty much out of luck according to the tire shops around town here. I will be switching to non runflats and purchasing a Slime Kit with the compressor once the runflats are gone.

From our own experiences:

This is simply the most fun car I have ever driven, HANDS DOWN! Some folks do not like the Clubman look but I think it is unique AND has the added space we needed for our dogs and for vacations/trips where we need to put some luggage in the car.

Roof Rails....we love em! Something to consider if you want to put on aftermarket Thule type luggage carriers OR you can secure soft luggage carriers with the factory roof rails.

Rear visibility with the barn doors takes some getting used to. The "blockage" is dead center in the rearview mirror....so if you are like me and drive a bit fast, you may find that you have to adjust your "Crosscheck" to really include the side mirrors more.

No issues for us to date with 6 weeks and 1600 miles on it. Great MPG (mid thirties for us) with it being driven "sportily".

Great Car so far for us and I would definitely recommend it to anyone in the market for a sporty, great MPG for the performance, and the added benefit of the extra room!

Old 06-26-2009, 09:45 PM
sixftlion
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TorchMINI
If you look at Consumers Reports, you are looking at thousands of respondents to a survey on reliability. The Mini does very well in this regard on reliability, scoring 'average' since 2002, and way above average since the new generation of 2007. 2008 Clubmans have the very highest rating so far, although there have been more issues with the S.
My own sample (which became part of the CR data) has been great. 17k miles and over a year and no issues. So, don't let it stop you. These are great cars!
If you just think about, here on the forums, we write about the problems, maybe to find a solution... but all these hundreds or thousands people who don't have any problems, they don't write. So it might seem that MINI has tons of issues, but actually, not really. If you go on a Honda forum, or any other car, you find similar issues.

I've had mine for 10 months. 4300 miles. (yes, I am working on being emission free if I can use my bike ). After 3 months, passenger window dip problem. Dealer fixed for free. Got a BMW loaner :-) One month later, driver window dip... Dealer (SouthBay MINI) fixed, another Beemer loaner. I think I've heard one engine rattle about 3 weeks ago, but was not sure about what it was, and nothing since then. So I am waiting and listening.

And as everybody else says, the fun factor of driving is sweet!!!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Alphawave
Originally Posted by Mike1968NM
Alphawave....could you post a link to the guide you are referring to? Much appreciated!

Hereyago Mike...started and finished by yours truly!
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...intenance.html

There's also an infinitely helpful link for the coupes(virtually identical) in post #20.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:44 PM
cloud10
4th Gear
I've had my Clubman since Feb. 2008 after a 25-month wait on the list for it. Love it more than any car I've owned and I've had a few.

Just bought a used Porsche Cayenne S for the dogs. Such an amazing difference in the driving. The Cayenne is a great car, but feels so heavy compared to the MINI.

Driving the MINI is so easy, it responds to the slightest touch and has all the speed I could ever use. I only have 3,500 miles on it in 16 months, but it has convinced me to always drive a MINI.

When I think of what people pay for a new Porsche or lots of other high-end vehicles I just think to myself--"Geez, I could by 3 or 4 MINIs for that amount."

I can't think of one car I would rather have than the Clubman. If I keep it past the warranty I can always have maintenance work done by a local foreign car shop. The 110-mile drive to the dealer is a bit much otherwise.

Hope you buy one. I don't think you will regret it.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:33 AM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
Hereyago Mike...started and finished by yours truly!
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...intenance.html

There's also an infinitely helpful link for the coupes(virtually identical) in post #20.
MANY THANKS ALPHAWAVE!!!! Virtual beer sent your way!

Originally Posted by cloud10
I've had my Clubman since Feb. 2008 after a 25-month wait on the list for it. Love it more than any car I've owned and I've had a few.

Just bought a used Porsche Cayenne S for the dogs. Such an amazing difference in the driving. The Cayenne is a great car, but feels so heavy compared to the MINI.

Driving the MINI is so easy, it responds to the slightest touch and has all the speed I could ever use. I only have 3,500 miles on it in 16 months, but it has convinced me to always drive a MINI.

When I think of what people pay for a new Porsche or lots of other high-end vehicles I just think to myself--"Geez, I could by 3 or 4 MINIs for that amount."

I can't think of one car I would rather have than the Clubman. If I keep it past the warranty I can always have maintenance work done by a local foreign car shop. The 110-mile drive to the dealer is a bit much otherwise.

Hope you buy one. I don't think you will regret it.

I don't think I could have said this better! For the sheer FUN of driving the Mini is the way to go for me....and for the price....heck, folks that have not tried these puppies are missing out! I am a VW fan (own a 2005.5 Jetta TDI that is now in the high 40's for MPG in spirited driving) so when the latest issue of Das Auto (vw owner's mag) arrived yesterday my wife said that that this looked cute......HERE...now we will probably never see this in the states but the stats are impressive! I believe it weighs 2600 lbs AND its a DIESEL!!!!!!

I would simply KILL to have a DIESEL MINI "S" here in the states!!!!!!!

Back on track though....you will LOVE the MINI.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:15 AM
zsqure
3rd Gear
Diesel mini S you bet! I'll dump my A4 for a MCCS D!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:54 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BLAUGRANA
What is the window dipper problem?
This is where the windows do not go back up the correct place when after the door is closed.

I.E. when the door opens the window dips down about 1/2" and when the door closes the window goes back up that 1/2"

Some people have had strange things happen including:

window goes down to half open
window does not dip
window does not go back up
window will go u and then down all the way

and others.

As for the reliability issue. please remember that for every bad thing you hear there are 1000's that do not have these problems. We really only complain about the problems and never comment about the good.

As for the reliability listed on many websites these are really not acurate they are only form a sampling of complaints and do not take into consideration all the good vehicles out there.

Consumer Reports is about the most accurate but again this is only if people that have not had a problem fill out the survey.

As humans we all tend to nor comment on the good or fill out reports if everything is going well. but will most likely make sure we fill out a report or comment on the bad.

So as i see it even the reports from Consumer Reports are flawed to show higher rates of failure than the real world is.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:05 PM
tattedXB
4th Gear
Well, In case you guys are wondering -

I went for the test drive and loved it, Will be ordering one the next few weeks once I figure out exactly what I want, and save 1-2k so I won't be upside down on my current car loan when I sell it.

Amanda: GREAT sales person, not pushy at all - honest about the features she likes, and doesn't like. She made the point of telling me that she's SUPPOSED to be upselling me on stuff, but she would not recomend stuff that she would not like/or think it's worth it for her mini.

I Live 4 miles from Crevier, I'm glad I drove the 35-40 miles to SouthBay - Amanda is recommended.

Anyways, still not official yet - haven't placed my order yet, but I plan to the next 2 weeks, if all goes well. :-)

Thanks for all your input folks, and I hope this thread helps others as it has me.

Jeff

Old 06-29-2009, 08:29 PM
jpp_zoso
2nd Gear
i'll just chime in to say after almost 8 months and 14k miles, my only complaints are the nicks and chips on the bonnet and windshield. 3/4 of my mileage is 55mph+, my previous car ('96 mazda mx-6) had the same issues. it's these damn wi roads and the constant construction!!!

and i agree on the original sport button sentiment...1st thing i do after starting the car is hit the sport button.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:27 PM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jpp_zoso
i'll just chime in to say after almost 8 months and 14k miles, my only complaints are the nicks and chips on the bonnet and windshield. 3/4 of my mileage is 55mph+, my previous car ('96 mazda mx-6) had the same issues. it's these damn wi roads and the constant construction!!!

and i agree on the original sport button sentiment...1st thing i do after starting the car is hit the sport button.
No nicks or chips yet, but it's only been two months. Also, the roads here in Milwaukee are largely finished (at least as far as the freeways go). Still I need to look into the invishield.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:03 AM
BluePalasky
1st Gear
TattedXB, I researched what car I was going to buy for over a year. I test drove many, looked at many forums and read reviews after reviews. I have seen the good and bad in all makes and models......and mind you, they all have the bad. I decided I would go with fuel economy as my first requirement, followed by reliability, service, an then lastly style. I also decided I did not want a hybrid because I do not feel the technology is worked out as of yet (read on the replacement costs of the batteries for the Toyota Prius). I ended up deciding between a Honda Civic EX with Navi or a Mini Cooper Clubman. I didn't want the S version because I truly don't need the extra boost and I don't plan on doing too many Mods. The Mini came with good reliability and proof that BMW is working on fixing their issues with each model, and the fact that the service plan offered with the vehicle. The MPG for both was the same. The style was close, but the Mini was definately the unique choice. Since I am here typing on this site, you must've assumed I got the Mini......well, I did. It was the right choice for my daily commuting. The Clubman is roomier than the Cooper; 4 adults fits comfortably in all the seats. I did the work, and got the best car. I am very happy, with no regrets.....except I am annoyed more Mini drivers don't wave when I wave at them! Go with your gut feeling. Do the research, but be wary, all vehicles have their problems.....otherwise there wouldn't be so many auto repair places around the country. Happy Motoring!

Old 06-30-2009, 11:24 AM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BluePalasky
TattedXB, I researched what car I was going to buy for over a year. I test drove many, looked at many forums and read reviews after reviews. I have seen the good and bad in all makes and models......and mind you, they all have the bad. I decided I would go with fuel economy as my first requirement, followed by reliability, service, an then lastly style. I also decided I did not want a hybrid because I do not feel the technology is worked out as of yet (read on the replacement costs of the batteries for the Toyota Prius). I ended up deciding between a Honda Civic EX with Navi or a Mini Cooper Clubman. I didn't want the S version because I truly don't need the extra boost and I don't plan on doing too many Mods. The Mini came with good reliability and proof that BMW is working on fixing their issues with each model, and the fact that the service plan offered with the vehicle. The MPG for both was the same. The style was close, but the Mini was definately the unique choice. Since I am here typing on this site, you must've assumed I got the Mini......well, I did. It was the right choice for my daily commuting. The Clubman is roomier than the Cooper; 4 adults fits comfortably in all the seats. I did the work, and got the best car. I am very happy, with no regrets.....except I am annoyed more Mini drivers don't wave when I wave at them! Go with your gut feeling. Do the research, but be wary, all vehicles have their problems.....otherwise there wouldn't be so many auto repair places around the country. Happy Motoring!
Put this in the context of me having bought a MCCS for various reasons, but in defense of the Prius the battery is under warranty for 8 years. Get rid of it before the warranty expires and no risk.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:06 PM
tattedXB
4th Gear
Hmmm alright thanks again guys

So a few more questions - they don't really fit THIS topic per say, but I dont want to open a new thread just for this

#1. Should I go with the factory HID' headlights? Are they worth the $500, is the light output super awesome, or just so-so?

#2. Interior - Black Lounge Leather, or the Cream White Leather option.
A- For those with the beige, being that it's a light color, does it get dirty easily? If so, is it hard to clean or KEEP clean?
B- For those with the black, is the lounge SUPER comfortable compared to the other leather? I haven’t sat in either yet in person. Also, does the black get SUPER hot in the summer?

Thanks again [FONT=Wingdings]J[/FONT]

Jeff

Old 06-30-2009, 01:30 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Hmmm alright thanks again guys

So a few more questions - they don't really fit THIS topic per say, but I dont want to open a new thread just for this

#1. Should I go with the factory HID' headlights? Are they worth the $500, is the light output super awesome, or just so-so?
I hate driving my 03 BMW 525 Wagon because the light output of the MINI's HID's is so much better than the Halogens

#2. Interior - Black Lounge Leather, or the Cream White Leather option.
A- For those with the beige, being that it's a light color, does it get dirty easily? If so, is it hard to clean or KEEP clean?
B- For those with the black, is the lounge SUPER comfortable compared to the other leather? I haven’t sat in either yet in person. Also, does the black get SUPER hot in the summer?
I am not a fan of the full leather seat. I have them in the BMW in light gray and they are very cold in teh winter even with the heated seats and are very hot and sticky in the summer when i wear shorts. IMHO the leather/cloth option is the only way to go. very warm in winter even without the heated seats on and cool and breath in the summer.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:34 PM
tattedXB
4th Gear
Nice - so Mini with HID's ($500) ftw, and might go for the cream/beige enterior which is $500 less or so too, sweet thanks

anybody got pics of the mini OEM hid/halogen bulbs by chance?

Thanks again, and sorry for being all over the place with this post.

looking to order this week, W00T!

Last edited by tattedXB; 06-30-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: R55 Clubman Reliability