R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009 | 01:49 PM
tattedXB
|
4th Gear
Another question - does anybody have the RAY CREAM interior? If so, post up a pic or two please?

jeff

Old 06-30-2009 | 03:22 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Congrats on getting a new Clubbie. I've been wanting one for a while but i can't bring myself to sell my xB. :(

Old 06-30-2009 | 03:29 PM
tattedXB
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIxB
Congrats on getting a new Clubbie. I've been wanting one for a while but i can't bring myself to sell my xB. :(
Haven't ordered it yet, but the plan is to this week if all goes well.

Old 06-30-2009 | 03:35 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
What color you planning on getting?

Old 06-30-2009 | 04:32 PM
minihab
1st Gear
Had a few problems myself with only 16000km's but all dealer fixed, warranty or recall. Window dipper, new catalytic converter, new chain tensioner and new manifold/drain to stop throttle body from freezing due to condensation. Just keep an eye on things and check for any recalls and you should be fine.

By the way, I'm having an Alta CAI installed as we speak and had a checkered roof graphic installed on my sunroof.

Old 06-30-2009 | 04:40 PM
tattedXB
|
4th Gear
What color you planning on getting?
Pepper White S with Black Roof and rear pillars.

Old 06-30-2009 | 04:53 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Great color combo!!!

Old 06-30-2009 | 05:08 PM
Hawkeye
3rd Gear
PW & Black

I paurchased a PW with Black roof/pillars in March. I am very happy except for the brake dust. I have ordered new ceramic pads and hope to decrease the "dust" in the very near future!

Old 06-30-2009 | 08:39 PM
tattedXB
|
4th Gear
Just placed my order - will make my 1k initial deposit tomorrow. :-)

Clubman S, PW with Black Roof, Pillars, and moon/sun Roof
Nav, Brown LOUNGE Leather Interior, Sat Radio, and some other goodies.

The build is being submitted as I type this - I won't feel like it's official till it's on the boat, and I"ve got a buyer for my 2004 scion xb (any takers?) :-D

I'm excited, about to do the happy dance.

jeff

p.s. look for a new screenname from me in 6-8 weeks ;-)

Old 06-30-2009 | 10:19 PM
Alphawave
Ooooo...brown leather... I have Tuscan Gravity (so I can spill my iced coffee and never see a stain! ), and although I'm prolly doing it all wrong, I just use a damp-wrung microfiber towel to clean, followed by a leather wipe (like Wet Ones) by Meguires I picked up at Target. It claims no lanolin, but has conditioners and UV protectant, and the seats look great for 3-4 weeks after treatment. When they start looking dry, they get a cleaning and treatment, and of course they still look brand new. Congrats, Jeff...you have chosen wisely! (BTW, I keep a few 'white-trash' seatcovers handy: In-N-Out T-shirts, for when I'm too dirty/sweaty to sit on my leather seats...helps keep'em clean.

Old 06-30-2009 | 11:03 PM
tattedXB
|
4th Gear
haha I thought about tuscan, but I figured the darker color would look better with mah ride. Goin for the sporty outside and luxury inside. Thanks for the tips on cleanin ma leather, I will do that for sure

Now I gotta wait 6-8 weeks! LOL

jeff

Old 07-01-2009 | 01:09 AM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Congrats on the Clubbie. What's your xB look like?

Old 07-01-2009 | 02:18 AM
Tall Mini
4th Gear
Congrats on the Clubbie. What's your xB look like?
It's sort of cube shaped with these little tiny wheels... Looks rather odd

Sorry I could resist, just poking fun.

Old 07-01-2009 | 07:27 AM
tattedXB
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tall Mini

Well no, I’d say it’s more box or toaster shaped. It looks like a mix between a box, a toaster, and possibly…POSSIBLY a cube :-P

Actually, it’s an 04, 130k miles, lowered on espelir springs (1.5 inch) with stock rims. Got chrome trim rings and wheel caps so it’s bling on a budget. AEM intake, trd exhaust – and a few dings in the window/body from 130k miles of lovin :-D

Old 07-01-2009 | 09:10 AM
bumgardnern
3rd Gear
I have had my Clubman for a little under a year. We are fast approaching 30k miles on it. So far it has been a really good car for us. We have had no more problems with the car than we expected. you do have to remember that this is not a Civic. I went into it with the mind set that this is more of a premium/sports car and will have some minor problems that other cars wont.

So far the only problem that the car has had was the window dipper problem. The dealership fixed it with out any problems.

Old 07-02-2009 | 10:32 AM
miniclubwoman
Neutral
Should I go for it?

Been shopping around for a Mini Cooper Clubman for a while and haven't found the perfect new one and I need a car ASAP (Old car was totaled 3 weeks ago, and I have to give up rental soon.). The dealer has a 2008 with low miles and every option I want. Salesman just faxed over service records and it turns out the cable harness was replaced. Otherwise no other problems. Should I be worried?

Old 07-02-2009 | 12:11 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tall Mini

LOL I know what most of them look like. I have two of them

Originally Posted by tattedXB
Well no, I’d say it’s more box or toaster shaped. It looks like a mix between a box, a toaster, and possibly…POSSIBLY a cube :-P

Actually, it’s an 04, 130k miles, lowered on espelir springs (1.5 inch) with stock rims. Got chrome trim rings and wheel caps so it’s bling on a budget. AEM intake, trd exhaust – and a few dings in the window/body from 130k miles of lovin :-D
Oh cool. I've got an 06 Camo Metallic with 60,000 miles on Tanbe DF-210 springs and front sway bar with 17" wheels..

The other xB is just a stock 08 Super White.

(sorry...I'm going off topic)

Old 07-02-2009 | 03:04 PM
jcoop36
2nd Gear
Miniclubwoman, I say go for it. Dealers generally don't hold onto used cars that aren't good sellers, so I suspect that if they didn't think it was a good unit, they would've auctioned it off. The other thing is that it still has a good amount of the original warranty left, so that alone should give you peace of mind.

Last edited by jcoop36; 07-02-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-02-2009 | 10:25 PM
Alphawave
Originally Posted by miniclubwoman
Been shopping around for a Mini Cooper Clubman for a while and haven't found the perfect new one and I need a car ASAP (Old car was totaled 3 weeks ago, and I have to give up rental soon.). The dealer has a 2008 with low miles and every option I want. Salesman just faxed over service records and it turns out the cable harness was replaced. Otherwise no other problems. Should I be worried?
I say go for it. These harnesses are quite a bit smaller (more segmented) and easily replaced compared to older cars, and I would not have an issue with knowing one was bad and replaced. I had a recall on my Dodge Ram for a harness replacement on the blower for the A/C, and sure enough, right when summer hit, I put the fan on high, and no air blowing! Ran it to Dodge, and they put a new harness in, and it's worked great for years since. Welcome to NAM, and post pics of your new ride!!!

Old 07-03-2009 | 12:38 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Plus with a "previously owned" MINI you get an even better warranty. Something I didn't always know but plan on remembering for the future...many years hence.

Old 07-04-2009 | 03:08 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Reliability problems?
Nope.
The only thing I've done is blow some WD-40 on the club door mechanism.
That's it in 14 months.

Old 09-22-2009 | 10:57 PM
jaxson
1st Gear
I heard there are some complaints about the clutch/flywheel? Is this true with the 09 clubman? Also, if I buy one from the dealer, will all the new updates that occured in 09 be applied to the ones they have on their lot?

Old 09-22-2009 | 11:01 PM
jtc
2nd Gear
I had my first experience with the club door sticking a few nights ago. It wasn't particularly cold or hot, just average temperature and maybe a little bit of humidity. The handle stuck the first two times I pulled it, then worked normally the third time. I used the door a few more times that night with no problems, and it hasn't stuck since.

Old 09-23-2009 | 10:59 AM
Dookiepower
2nd Gear
Nice - so Mini with HID's ($500) ftw, and might go for the cream/beige enterior which is $500 less or so too, sweet thanks

anybody got pics of the mini OEM hid/halogen bulbs by chance?

Thanks again, and sorry for being all over the place with this post.

looking to order this week, W00T!
Not sure if this is what you wanted, but here ya go!
Name:  IMG_0656.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  101.8 KB

Old 09-24-2009 | 01:16 PM
Michael Czeiszperger
1st Gear
Hey folks
As I read more into the threads here, however, it seems the reliability on the coopers and clubmans sucks. 4/10 on some major car sites - and it seems quite a few of you have issues with club doors, melting hood scoops, and other stuff that should not be a problem for a 30k(give or take) car.
Looking on forums is a bad way to judge reliability, as with any consumer item with tens of thousands or more sold you're bound to have people who aren't happy, and the unhappy ones are way more likely to go online and vote on car sites.

Consumer Reports, on the other hand, collects actual feedback from owners from all makes and models and compares them. Although you won't actually know reliability on the 2009s until they get their next survey back, the 2008s did very well, with only one car in its classed having a higher predicted reliability, the Toyota Matrix. The Clubman beat out similar cars from Subaru, Mazda, Kia, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Pontiac, Scion, and Volvo with a rating of 80% more reliable than average.

http://consumerreports.com

Note that the reliability of all of the models isn't uniform, and the ratings are updated every year as more data comes in. For example, as a used car the 2002 MINI Cooper has poor reliability compared to similar cars in the same year.

If you have a more scientific source with more reliable data I'd like to know about it!

Quick Reply: R55 Clubman Reliability