R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 For Owners: Did the Clubman live up to your expectation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love it, Love it, Love it!

We purchased this for my wife and she really truly loves it! She was thinking that the auto was the way to go but thankfully the one on the dealer's lot had everything we wanted except for the Auto. After test driving both the Auto and the Short Shifting 6 Speed...hands down the stick won over the auto! The hill assist is a VERY nice feature that I have never experienced in a manual transmission.

One minor complaint that I have (will be addressed at the dealer next time in) is that we get a rattle/buzz from the tachometer area when we are at 2000 RPM or so. Wife doesn't notice but I do.

As far as the "blind spot" on the barn doors....I do notice it. I have altered my "scan" and it is not much of a problem but it IS noticeable for me especially since I tend to have a very heavy foot on the skinny pedal! Not a huge deal by any means.

As far as MPG goes....we have 2500 miles on it now and last tank was 36.7 I believe. That is with just my wife driving it as I am recovering from a knee replacement that does not allow me to use the clutch. She drives it as a "normal" person would not like I do. I drive it like I stole it and while doing so I was averaging around 33 mpg. Not too shabby by any stretch of the imagination.

What really has me "smitten" with the Clubbie S is the absolute JOY it is to drive!!!! This thing is on RAILS! It makes driving that much more fun every time I get behind the wheel.

The Sport button is not a big deal to either of us. It is just habit to push it every time I start the car. I convinced my wife to do the same and now it is second nature for her as well. Makes all the difference in the world!

Reasonable price, adequate space, very good MPG, GREAT performance...all coupled with unique and cool looks that not everyone else has....what more could you ask for!

BTW....we have the Pano sunroof and have had zero issues with it in the hot climate here in New Mexico.

One thing that we had the dealer toss in as part of our "negotiating" was tinting the clubbie all the way around to include the sunroof. That by far, has been a huge blessing for us!

Old 07-28-2009, 10:43 AM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by budoboy
4 days old so I doubt it is a sensor. I'm not even driving it hard. Maybe it needs to break in or I have the units of measure setup wrong
Sorry, didn't notice your car is brand new. Keep a close eye on the gas mileage and see if it improves in a month or two. If it's still getting 24 mpg, then I'd be worried. A 4-cylinder engine displacing less than 2 liters should be getting almost 29-32 mpg even if you're a little hard on the throttle once in a while. I never race my car or stomp on the throttle. One owner on this board said he constantly carries tons of cargo in his Clubman S and is still averaging over 30 mpg but he does all highway driving.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:26 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
I'm one of the first on the road with an ordered Clubbie and I'm still happy. I like the center post for times when there are bright headlamps behind. We use the 3rd door, and we love the mileage. Also, not ONE or more problems with it, not even a rattle.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:34 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by mbu; 07-28-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Yes - love the Clubman!

As for options I wouldn't choose to live w/o: roof rails, xenons, cold weather package.

Options I would most likely not choose again if I were concerned about cost: bluetooth/ipod and multifunction steering wheel because as much as I like the bluetooth for calls...we all know it isn't smart to even go "hands free" with a cell phone and I don't use an iPod often. MFSW - I never use the cruise control.

Less is more is my mantra.

Oh yes, and I want to believe that I will choose a "free" color once again, the next time around because they really look good and I won't have to pay extra $$.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:12 AM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
I love it - It just plain FUN.

Bought mine "plain-vanila-nothing" and have had blast doing mods. CoverKing Red/Blk seat covers, Red Line shift boot - ebrake boot - armrest covers. Really dressed up the interior.

Got NM springs/sway bar and Koni FSD shocks in the garage and can't wait for this weekend.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:23 PM
MiniBlake
Neutral
Originally Posted by budoboy
3. MPG not as good as expected (24.9 over last 4 days with mixed driving)
If your CEL is on, but not flashing or anything, you might get it checked out anyway. Mine came on after about 250 miles. The dealer thought it was probably just a loose cable. Turned out to be the PCV System had broken somewhere and cause misfirings in a couple cylinders. They opened up a PUMA for it, but think its probably pretty rare. I ended up having bad mpg from this, somewhere around yours, but I have a regular Clubman.

To contribute. I've had mine for around 3000 miles now ('09) and haven't had a single other problem. The only dislike is that I can't seem to keep dirt off the back when it rains, and the sunroof does cause me to have to run the AC a little more than I'd like (hot Alabama weather). Perhaps MINI will make solid replacement cover at some point in the future. The days when you can open the sunroof make it worth it though!

Old 07-29-2009, 01:36 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniBlake
I can't seem to keep dirt off the back when it rains ...
For what it's worth, my Cooper is no better. Something about that shape just luuuves the dust!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:35 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Yes, not only lived up to, but exceeded our expectation in many areas! It's turned out to be the perfect vehicle for our needs and we're looking forward to buying another in the future. With a little experience behind us now, as well as the opportunity to have seen many combinations in person, next time we hope to choose a "free" color with matching roof because it looks so good on the Clubman for some reason. While I prefer one large rear window for visibility, it's not a deal-breaker by any means. The barn doors are "cool" in their own right.

If Auto A/C wasn't part of a package which made it virtually free, I don't think I'd pay for it since I don't mind manually selecting the fan speed to suit my needs (though it is nice on a long trip).

I definitely wish it was a little less "quirky", and more intuitive when it comes to using the controls but I guess that's part of what makes "MINI" different.

We love the small "footprint", nimble handling, practical nature, and overall "fun" factor. The Clubman fills a niche that's been missing for quite awhile and I hope MINI continues to improve on it in the coming years.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:20 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
I now have about 5600 miles on my Clubman since 30Mar09 and have been quite satisfied with all aspects of the driving and experience owning it. My experience has been with high reliabillity from a long line of Hondas and Acuras through the years dating back to 1978 and still own two as well as the Clubman. So, I am hesitant to indicate that I am fully sold on the reliability of the Clubman until perhaps I get up over 100K miles and can truly make a comparison. But up to now and after reading some of the gloom and doom postings of others regarding MINIs, I have to say that my Clubman was delivered perfect (with no defects) and up to now has remained so.

I am fully satisfied with all the options I ordered. I Like the sunroof and it's operation with an auto stop at the fully ventilate but closed position, (something my Prelude does not have). Also like the bright xenon headlights. My daughter has a '97 Del Sol that has such dim headlights - This one of my concerns buying a small car but with the Clubman is lights up the road ! I like the various manual modes and the 6 speed auto transmission. For me - it is perfect ! Many other features I really enjoy including the rotating side mirrors to minimize banging it or someone else banging into it.

Some quirky things but no real problems: The door locking toggle switch non-direction oriented, regardless of which way you push the toggle, it just reverses the locking position from open to shut or shut to open. If you push it down twice to lock the doors, you just opened them again.

One backup light, radio buttons are so high up, you cannot rest your arm on something comfortably while going thru all the stations....but many get the steering wheel with the volume and station buttons on it and that is fantastic !!

As far as reaction of others that come for a ride: Overall great responses ! This is an upscale small hot rod ! But for those ...let's say somewhat wide people that are use to bigger cars...don't expect them to fit comfortably in one of these or remark how they have to get one too ! That ain't happening ! Fact is many friends that I know would only get a mid or larger car, whereas, I and my wife have the mini-van for hauling people and things but like driving in a small car for all other purposes - commuting to work, daily drives around the house and perhaps that long drive thru the countryside when not carting the house along with me.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:56 AM
mccsab
3rd Gear
YES!

My Clubman has exceeded my expectations. As many of you have outlined the same positive issues; I don't have to repeat these.

So far, I don't have any complaints!

Old 08-08-2009, 12:46 PM
bimmermeup
1st Gear
Yes! Ms. Bee is awesome!

Old 08-08-2009, 01:41 PM
MINISV
1st Gear
Still like my clubbie after 15 months and 12000 miles. It seems to be the go-cart I never had as a kid.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Skeeter1
Neutral
17,000 awesome miles. I'm ready for another!!!

Old 08-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Skeeter1
17,000 awesome miles. I'm ready for another!!!
You and me both! Although to mix it up I am really considering getting a MCS! But that will most likely NOT happen...thinking practically here...LOL

Old 08-08-2009, 06:46 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Otra
...Oh yes, and I want to believe that I will choose a "free" color once again, the next time around because they really look good and I won't have to pay extra $$.
Otra or others,

What is meant by "free" color?

Old 08-08-2009, 08:40 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
A "Free" color is a Non-Metalic, one you don't have to pay a Premium for ($500).

Old 08-09-2009, 01:03 PM
bumgardnern
3rd Gear
The Clubman lived up to my expectations.

I like the size of the Clubman. The car is small yet can hold all of the gear I need it to hold. The Clubman is fun to drive. It has amazing fuel economy. I got a pretty stripped down version and love it.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:18 AM
ART ED
4th Gear
MrMagoo: I also drove the S2000 and the MX5 and bought the clubmanS for the same reason as you. Exceeded and continues to exceed every expectation, especially service.

Dislikes:
Sunroof gets stuck on hot days and does not have one push open like my wife's 03 mini
Armrest slides every time I rest on it. Gonna velcro that thing down someday!
Shimmies on bumps get spooky at times at high speed.
Sport button is not on all the time unless you press it

-Everything, looks, performance, appearance package is great. Love the auto dimming rear view and outside mirrors, one touch windows, programmable rear view mirror, the stereo once you figure out its complexity is amazing; flexibility of storage options for stuff and dogs; The Laser Blue is gorgeous; Sport button is addictive and I keep it on all the time; Access to engine components under hood and how it is so protected from the elements with various shields under the car; Xenon lights are incredible, I will never go back to any other; etc., etc.....too long to list.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:54 AM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
One thing I've noticed earlier in the summer but especially of late with Summer actually arriving here in Milwaukee, the air conditioning kinda sucks. I was caught in traffic for hour the other day and I had it blasting and it really didn't do the trick. I tried using the differing arrows to get it to go in all directions and that made it worse. What's more, I detected a gasoline scent a few times. Don't know if that was from traffic or the car.

Originally Posted by ART ED
Armrest slides every time I rest on it. Gonna velcro that thing down someday!
I read about this here all the time. I NEVER have this problem and I use the armrest all the time. In fact I wouldn't take a car without it.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:55 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
The sunroof/sunroofs are hardly tinted on the Clubman compared to my Prelude and my Prelude has a somewhat stronger A/C, that is, compared to running my Clubman's fan on the second slowest fan speed vs the Prelude's slowest fan speed but the Prelude only has 4 fan speeds compared to ...something like 6 fan speeds on the Clubman. I run it at slow speeds to also keep the fan motor quiet. But I found that by installing a $20 tint that had enough matl for both sunroofs (let's 5% light through it), the A/C in the second slowest fan speed is okay for most days. The tint was not too hard to install and came out great. Even though the tint box indicates the tint only let's through 5% of the light, you can see through it. With that tint on the sunroofs, I feel it is adequate without having to consider tinting the rest of the windows. Of course that is an option that some have had installed.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:31 PM
pointydog
1st Gear
-A lot of cargo space with the back seats down (I could fit about four of my bass guitars in their cases in the back easily)

The Clubman is a perfect excuse to put together a small rig.

As a gearhead in denial I think it's time to park the 4 X 10 and buy some Mini stuff to cart around in the Mini.

Acme 2 X 10 3-way and a WTX 300W Eden head. That way one bass and I can dial up whatever sound I want.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:18 PM
MMKV
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mbu
Did the Clubman live up to your expectation?

If not, what/why didn't it. If yes, are there features/options that you bought that aren't worth their cost or are there features/options that were offered and you wish you had?
I have only had my hot chocolate club for three weeks and 300+ miles so it may be too early to comment but I am going to anyway.

My clubman is awesome.....more than I expected!

If I had it to do all over again, I would not have gotten the automatic with the paddles because they are completely useless for me and the roof rails because I am not too fond of the "wagon like" look they give my clubman. And if I could add something I would have gotten the "s version" (more for resale value than actual need...my car is pretty zippy for me) and made sure the car was smartphone compatible (I'd love to have gotten the iPhone connecter in my arm rest but I would also want it to be able to play music).

But that said, this is by far the coolest car I have ever owned! And I love it!

Old 08-15-2009, 05:44 PM
nclin
2nd Gear
My clubman S more than lived up to my expectations. I've put on 20,000 very pleasurable miles in 1 year of ownership. Plenty of power, good gas mileage all rural driving puts me over 35 MPG consistently and my foot does contain a fair amount of lead!

My 6'3" husband fits comfortably.

First car I've ever owned that doesn't give me a back ache on long drives.
Love my leather seats and sun roof the most. Xenon headlamps are great. No street lights where I live and lots of moose and deer to avoid.

Heated seats are are up there in great options. I live in a very cold place and use them all the time. With the multiple settings they are just great!

Old 08-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Raphy
Neutral
How much is typical maintenance?

I need a bit of advice--I'm looking to buy a clubman---love the way it looks and love the safety specs. I'm wondering if the maintenance is expensive--given that it is made by BMW and is a small car (hard to get to engine?) I will probably not be buying it from a MINI dealer, so I wouldn't get the service that they provide.

I am sold on this car, but feel these questions need answering before I take the next step.

Thanks!!!!

Quick Reply: R55 For Owners: Did the Clubman live up to your expectation?