R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 For Owners: Did the Clubman live up to your expectation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:53 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For Owners: Did the Clubman live up to your expectation?

Did the Clubman live up to your expectation?

If not, what/why didn't it. If yes, are there features/options that you bought that aren't worth their cost or are there features/options that were offered and you wish you had?

Old 07-26-2009, 03:54 PM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it did and it exceeded my expectations! I originally was interested in a small sporty car, umm, maybe a Mazda MX5 or a S2000, even looked at the Honda Accord Coupe. The Mazda was too small (couldn't fit in the drivers seat without turning my neck), the S2000 was great, but was not big enough to fit the clubs (and yes the neck thing), the Accord Coupe 2Dr was good, but you kinda loose the sense of the road...
I was getting desperate, wanted something that reminded me of the small british roadsters I drove when I was in high school..MGB, MG GT, Triumph GT and Sprint. I also didn't want to fuse with the notorious issues that would plague the triumph (electricals)!
The Clubmans is the modern version of all those older MG's and Triumphs without the headache and much more dependable. The Clubman fits my size (6'2" and sorta wide body), and leaves room for all the fun stuff, the golf clubs.
Your overall survey seems slanted to the negative - which isn't a true survey - you seem to be looking for an excuse!??
Dislike: Sunroof screen can't hide from the sun!
Dislike: Having to ALWAYS use the Sport button!
Likes: The ability to carry lots-o-stuff (including did I mention the golf clubes?)
Dislikes: The wife loves to ride along no matter where I go, can't shake her!
Likes: HID head lights, they are great espicially the self adjusting feature.
Dislikes: The fact that the mood light has "pink" as an option!
Dislikes: Not enough time to list!

Old 07-26-2009, 04:15 PM
jtc
2nd Gear
The Clubman exceeded my expectations greatly. The only problems I've had with it are so minor that they almost aren't worth mentioning.

PROS:
-Unbelievably fun to drive
-Looks unique
-A fair amount of cargo space with the back seats up
-A lot of cargo space with the back seats down (I could fit about four of my bass guitars in their cases in the back easily)
-A respectably spacious and comfortable interior despite the size of the car (I drove my family to Vegas and back from Los Angeles and had no complaints about being cramped.)
-Massive sunroof

There are many other good aspects to the car that would take too long to list. Those are just the big ones.

CONS:
-The electronics aren't terribly intuitive, but not impossible to figure out.
-The overhead handle above the passenger door (not sure exactly what it's called) squeaks.
-Runflats suck
-Bumpy roads feel VERY bumpy (I don't mind because I like to feel the road, but passengers sometimes do).

The only real regret I have is that I didn't get an S. That's not a big deal though as I should be able to add a decent amount of power to it anyway. I love the Clubman and would highly recommend it to anyone thinking about buying one.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:22 PM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
Yes, it did. It lived up to my expectations because I did a lot of research on the car before purchasing it. What I read in most reviews was overall about 98% true. You of course have to filter through some opinion and an uninformed reviewer or two on some minor points, but you can sort a lot of it out by test driving the car.

Based on what some folks have said already, I will coment on a few things:

-Quirky controls. Sure some of the controls and locations are different. Take opening the windows for example. You don't push a button on the door. You flip a switch in the center console. Is this different? Yes. Is it a problem? No. The passenger's side means reaching, but I'm 5'10" and I can reach it fine. Besides, the switchs are metal and look really cool. Just ANOTHER thing that makes the Mini distinctive.
-Sun Roof Sun Shade. It doesn't block out all the light and like everybody else I wish is was solid. Still I find that it's not that big a deal. I haven't tinted mine yet, but I probably will as I'm going to tint the windows. Still I don't even notice it. Of course Wisconsin's idea of summer this year is quite different, but even on a hot day or two it hasn't been an issue for me.
-Bumpy Roads do feel VERY bumpy as was said. I knew that going in because I did my research and read reviews. The overall ride though, especially on "regular" roads is great. There is a difference if you get the Sport Suspension or bigger wheels. I actually wanted 17" rims but went with 16" rims. I like the look of the 17"s better, but the 16s provide a more comfortable ride and from what I've read here will be better in winter.
-Spaciousness. The car is more than spacious inside. I think it fits four comfortably and my father was quite impressed on how big it felt inside compared to what you might think.

A few other things:

-MPG. I'm so far disappointed in the MPG I'm getting. I have an S. I know it's not so much the car, but I thought I'd get a bit more. I could of course have sorted that out a bit before buying, but it's not a big deal. I have a lead foot and traffic has made it stay down a bit. I did take it out for an extended ride for the first time the other day and the MPG kept going up, so again I know it's down to my lead foot and more so traffic. Still at the end of the day I'm getting anywhere from 50-100 miles more per tank with my Clubman S than I was with my Camry and the Camry's gas tank was at least 1.5 gallons larger.

ON TO THE GREAT STUFF:

-It is an ABSOLUTE BLAST to drive. Amazing handling, great pickup, great brakes.
-The BEST LOOKING car on the planet. A big factor for me was style. Of course if it sounded/seemed like a bucket of bolts I'd not have bothered, but it isn't. So the style is amazing. Retro and modern at the same time. One big reason I got is because when they switched the design of the standard Cooper it barely changed. You almost couldn't tell. So in 10 years, assuming I take care of my car like I do everything else, I'll still probably have a very new looking vehicle. Contrast that with say a Jetta (nothing against them, LOVE their new design) which in 10 years will look outdated. Heck, it'll look a bit dated in 4 years.
-Piggybacking on that last point, this car is VERY UNIQUE. IMO there is not another car like it out there. Stylish looks, suicide door (as cool if not more cool than the barn doors), barn doors, big spedometer in the center of the car (which looks great so long as you don't get the nav/computer - also, you can get a center spedometer just above the steering wheel for practicality), etc, etc. I have an automatic, and the shifter looks like a stick at first glance. The boot is awesome and if I needed to I'm sure I could easily get in 5 paper grocery bags with the seats up. Then you have the color combos and the extras. I wanted the metallic brown color with a brown roof. In trying to save a few bucks though I took one off the lot and got dark metallic silver with a black roof. I almost like it better and I love the color. That's the thing though. I think the car looks great in just about every color and you can come up with great combos. Also, where are you going to see a metallic brown car?

At the end of the day I don't regret my purchase at all. It's only been 3 months and about 3000 miles, but so far SO AMAZING. I just wish I had a few more, and a few Cabrios and a few Cooper Ss in different colors. I LOVE Minis and if you ask me the coolest car on the planet right now is a Mini Cooper Clubman S.

PS - One person said they regretted not getting the S. Test drive them both. Coming from a 96 Camry the non S was like a race car. Still the S just looks better and once I got used to it the S was very comfortable to drive. Now it's like I'm going 75 mph+ and it feels like 55 mph because the car handles so well. ALSO, the only thing I really wanted that I didn't get were the Xenon headlights. Car I took off the lot didn't have them and I don't miss them. I've never had them and I'm sure they're great and I'd even recommend them based on what I've read on this site, but I still can live w/o them.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:03 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmagoo
...Your overall survey seems slanted to the negative - which isn't a true survey - you seem to be looking for an excuse!??
Sorry if the question came off negative...didn't mean it to! I have read a lot of reviews on the internet and they seem to put the Clubman down. But... all of the reviews come from people that don't actually own one! I wanted to know what owners really think of it!

As to what I think of it? I just bought one last week!

Old 07-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Hawkeye
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From my perspective, you made a very good decision. My only issue, to date, since Mar 25, is the brake dust. WHen my wife was not looking, I installed CArbo Tech 1521 Bobcats...dramatic. dramatic reduction in brake dust!

Old 07-26-2009, 06:23 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
HTClubmand and I love your Clubman, it is quick fun to drive, looks great. We read a lot of reviews on the web, and read about issues here. We have 11.5K miles on our and we have had it for 10 months. The most important thing is the wife loves it, the only dislike is that the wife likes it too much and I have a hard time being able to drive it.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:36 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbu
Did the Clubman live up to your expectation?
YES

Old 07-26-2009, 06:43 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by mbu
I wanted to know what owners really think of it! As to what I think of it? I just bought one last week!
So in other words, you were looking for some people to back up your great decision

Seriously, although I have a Cooper S, I *really* dig the Clubman. My wife and I just had our first child, and since I've been getting the new baby in and out of the car seat in my wife's Subaru, I am developing real appreciation for the Clubman's suicide door design!

How do you cope with the center post in the rear view though? That's the one thing about the Clubman's otherwise awesome design that has me scratching my head... Looks cool from the outside, barn doors are great to use, but visibility, i'm not so sure about... do you just learn to lean your head to the side to look around it?

Anyway, enjoy your new ride!

Old 07-26-2009, 07:10 PM
jtc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
So in other words, you were looking for some people to back up your great decision

Seriously, although I have a Cooper S, I *really* dig the Clubman. My wife and I just had our first child, and since I've been getting the new baby in and out of the car seat in my wife's Subaru, I am developing real appreciation for the Clubman's suicide door design!

How do you cope with the center post in the rear view though? That's the one thing about the Clubman's otherwise awesome design that has me scratching my head... Looks cool from the outside, barn doors are great to use, but visibility, i'm not so sure about... do you just learn to lean your head to the side to look around it?

Anyway, enjoy your new ride!
The barn doors honestly aren't a big deal at all. You forget that the pillar is there after a day of use. It doesn't create a blind spot like reviewers say it does, there's just a small, black line when you look out the back.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:27 PM
MI MINI S
3rd Gear
48 hours since I picked up my clubman S...it's a blast. This is my second MINI in 5 years. The first car is a '05 MINI S that I still love to drive. The best part is I can drive the Clubman S one day and the MINI S the next day...if I can get it away from my wife. Now my 17 year old daughter wants to drive the Clubman...first she has to learn how to drive a manual transmission.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:28 PM
tattedXB
4th Gear
Forgive me for asking the obvious, but how do the HID headlights work - they just point in the direction the car is turning, or is there more to it? Looking forward to having MY expectations met in 3 weeks

Old 07-26-2009, 10:10 PM
RadioFlyer
4th Gear
the xenon do NOT turn ,,, they just self level when they are turned on.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:20 PM
djmcgill
3rd Gear
Expectations

So far, the 'Ghost' has exceeded my expectations. I have been driving it for almost 10 months, have 24,100 miles and have averaged 34+ mpg (calculated).

There were two minor problems, which I would consider them initial quality problems. First was the sun roof gasket lost adhesion in the corners. It was fixed with no further problem. The second was the left barn door would not open due to wire corrosion from water intrusion through the handle. That was also fixed. As I understand, both of those problems have been recognized and the manufacturing updated to alleviate them.

On the plus side - Power, Ride, Gas Mileage, Roominess, + FUN. It should be illegal to have so much fun while driving.

My favorite thing to do is take ramps at 45 to 50 mph and leave the SUV drivers in my dust. (while getting double the gas mileage)

The wife wanting to drive the 'Ghost' is not an issue for me. It is my car. She has a 325I with sport and premium packages. She is more than happy with it.

Last edited by djmcgill; 07-26-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:26 PM
djmcgill
3rd Gear
[quote=bratling;2831724]How do you cope with the center post in the rear view though? That's the one thing about the Clubman's otherwise awesome design that has me scratching my head... Looks cool from the outside, barn doors are great to use, but visibility, i'm not so sure about... do you just learn to lean your head to the side to look around it?

After the first day, I have hardly noticed the 'center post'.

I do almost all of my driving at night and sometimes enjoy the fact that the center post can be used to block mis-aimed head lights.

The doors give the car a unique look that I find very appealing. I never been a fan of having a car that looks like "every one else's".

Old 07-26-2009, 11:33 PM
cloud10
4th Gear
I've had my Clubman since Feb. '08. I was on the wait list from Jan. '06 so it was the first one ordered in Arizona.

I couldn't be happier with it. By far my favorite car of all I've owned. I only regret I can't drive it more as I have only 3,600 miles on it in 17 months. As my husband is ill I can't take the trips I want to, but it is my escape pod for any trip I can take it on, usually the mail and bank. A couple of weeks ago I just took it out for a 30-mile drive to feel the freedom of the road.

I bought a used Porsche Cayenne for the Greyhounds and I am not a real fan of it. The reason I got it was for the room in case we had to evacuate from a fire, but the MINI is so much more enjoyable to drive.

I don't regret not getting a sunroof. Never think about it. The Cayenne has one and I have yet to even think of using it. Maybe in the winter months..

Actually I put the Cayenne up for sale to get a Scion for the dogs and grocery runs. I don't take the MINI as I don't want anyone to hurt it. The Scion seems ok for errands. Just trying to find the largest cubic feet of room with a flat back area. One of my Greyhounds is a tripod and I don't want that one front leg to get caught in a hole between the front and back seats.

But back to the MINI. LOVE IT with no complaints. I'm already on the list for the two-seater.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:30 AM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mbu
Sorry if the question came off negative...didn't mean it to! I have read a lot of reviews on the internet and they seem to put the Clubman down. But... all of the reviews come from people that don't actually own one! I wanted to know what owners really think of it!

As to what I think of it? I just bought one last week!
Not surprised a bit. Some car "experts" are just that: ignorant or quite a few hate MINIs just because they're popular and NOT Japanese. I KNOW that a few of them have never driven a MINI because of the arrogance oozing from their lips as they bash it for everything. Funny that they also bash the large speedometer when the Honda Scion uses one too (I'm sure it was a cheap attempt to copy the MINI). As the old saying goes: how do you know if you've never tried it?

Old 07-27-2009, 06:01 AM
Clubmaste00
3rd Gear
While I have only had my Clubbie S for 3 weeks I could not be happier. Plenty of room for both passengers and cargo (especially with the seats down), goes like I cannot believe (wife and I have a wager as to who will get the first ticket), a unique look that seems to garner comments every time we park it, great mileage. While there have been many comments about the control layout it only takes a week to get used to it and if you bother to read the manual most things fall into place. Really like the switch guards for the toggle switches. I've seen lots of negative comments about runflats but on decent roads the ride is fine - I know I'll have to get snows for the winter here in Michigan but I knew that when I bought the car.

As long as your expectations of the car are realistic - like it for what it is not for what others think it should be - and you'll have a blast driving it.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:30 AM
budoboy
3rd Gear
I've had a Clubbie S for about 4 days now. Really nice car.

I have the same complaints as others:

1. Sports button should be standard mode
2. Controls not intuitive (actually makes the car unique)
3. MPG not as good as expected (24.9 over last 4 days with mixed driving)

Pros:

1. Great interior
2. Nice brakes and handling
3. Decent stereo (although so many folks complain)
4. Looks very nice

I'm glad I didn't get a sunroof as I hear people complain about that on almost every car.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:46 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by jtc
The only real regret I have is that I didn't get an S. That's not a big deal though as I should be able to add a decent amount of power to it anyway.
Don't count on it. You might get a very small bump from upgrading intake and exhaust. Otherwise, vendors seem uninterested in tuning the non-S and they aren't motivated because there isn't enough demand.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:08 PM
SFPhoto
2nd Gear
Performance tips

Originally Posted by rkw
Don't count on it. You might get a very small bump from upgrading intake and exhaust. Otherwise, vendors seem uninterested in tuning the non-S and they aren't motivated because there isn't enough demand.
More ideas:

If you do some research here you will find these suggestions for improving non-S performance:

suspension +/-$500
good tires +/-$400
lightweight wheels +/-$500

Most owners choose aftermarket products like HSport for suspension. Tirerack (see vendor page) suggested to me Bridgestone 019 195/55-16 and ASAJH6 lightweight wheels and above prices reflect same.

The money you save on gas, insurance etc. should pay for the upgrades in short order.

Perhaps this one should be at the top of the list: take a weekend driving class with your non-S.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:14 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by budoboy
3. MPG not as good as expected (24.9 over last 4 days with mixed driving)
24.9!? That's BAD. My non-turbo Clubbie is happily slurping super unleaded and getting about 34-37. Faulty oxygen sensor maybe? Or are you doing a LOT of stop-and-go driving while fighting 9-5 traffic? Rush hour traffic is brutal on your gas mileage.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:05 PM
zsqure
3rd Gear
Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:16 PM
budoboy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by beasleyboy
24.9!? That's BAD. My non-turbo Clubbie is happily slurping super unleaded and getting about 34-37. Faulty oxygen sensor maybe? Or are you doing a LOT of stop-and-go driving while fighting 9-5 traffic? Rush hour traffic is brutal on your gas mileage.
4 days old so I doubt it is a sensor. I'm not even driving it hard. Maybe it needs to break in or I have the units of measure setup wrong

Old 07-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Alphawave
Pelle exceeded my expectations, and I bought him w/o a test drive, after seeing a clubbie up close in a parking garage in SF, I knew instantly..love a first sight kinda thing.
Pros: Style, FUN!, Sunroof, mileage, confident handling, braking, steering, SPORT MODE!, comfort, utility, parking agility (HUGE in SF!), leather, real head-turner.
Cons: Ride slightly more jarring than I thought it would be, windscreen seems more 'brittle' than conventional glass, MINI maintenance left me feeling somewhat mislead.
Absolutely no regrets, and would replace Pelle in a heartbeat if he wandered off for good. This likely won't be my last MINI, as long as they don't mess with the brand too much...quirky is FINE by me!

Edit: no regrets on choosing the Auto, nor NOT choosing the S, the Justa has plenty of oomph in Sport Mode to get me passed the slowpokes on the freeway.

Quick Reply: R55 For Owners: Did the Clubman live up to your expectation?