R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Automatic Owners Unite - We Want a Leather Steering Wheel!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009 | 05:27 PM
MMKV
|
2nd Gear
My clubman was built in January 2009 as well.

So, are we going to get Mini to do the right thing or what?

Old 08-09-2009 | 05:06 PM
Figfuggo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Surfink
you should let them know you are expecting "paddles" . By the configurator on miniusa, no paddles for the "justa"
You're doing it wrong.

I just checked MiniUSA and it does have paddles in the Justa configurator. Thanks for the near-heart attack though.

Old 08-09-2009 | 07:20 PM
Surfink
4th Gear
Please explain how you can make it appear on a JustaClubman configurator, I just tried again and it says nothing about "paddles" or shifters on the steering wheel. Please help me find them..

Old 08-10-2009 | 02:23 PM
Figfuggo
2nd Gear
Build a clubman>Full features list and specs
>Performance & Handling> Click on "details" for 6 speed automatic
>scroll down

Looks like the sport steering wheel with controls is all that's required.

Old 08-10-2009 | 03:43 PM
Surfink
4th Gear
Thanks, I do find that info. Hope you get them.

Old 08-10-2009 | 03:55 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
In the past, the website (and configurator in particular) has sometimes lagged months behind in being up to date.

Try this: Learn > Compare Models > select Cooper Clubman and Cooper S Clubman
Scroll down to Performance > 6-Speed Aisin Automatic
Paddle shifters is absent on the non-S column

The MotoringFile article (12/2008) speculated that the paddles were going to be dropped starting from March. You can visit your dealer (or call) to verify whether recent non-S Cooper arrivals have the paddles.

Old 08-10-2009 | 05:22 PM
Figfuggo
2nd Gear
So, the plot thickens! I see that of which you speak, rkw. Well the new Justa Clubman we test drove last week had the paddle shifters, but of course I didn't buy that one. I picked one off the inventory in transit (dealer said it was on the boat from England). So maybe I'm up a creek without a paddle. Shifter. That's okay, I don't plan on driving it much on the lake.
I'm more worried about the Russian subs patrolling our East coast intercepting the shipment. I mean, without the paddles, how will the Mini cargo ship escape?

Old 08-10-2009 | 05:48 PM
jtc
2nd Gear
I have paddle shifters in my automatic Justa. It's a 2008 though.

Old 08-10-2009 | 06:28 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Well, if new Coopers don't get paddle shifters, your consolation is the original topic of this thread -- you'll be able to get the hot chocolate leather steering wheel. Also the JCW steering wheel, which doesn't fit paddle shifters either.

Old 08-11-2009 | 05:30 AM
Figfuggo
2nd Gear
Now that I know what it is like to have your dream steering wheel and lost it, I'll support the hot chocolate steering wheel movement!

Sign me up.

Any truth to the rumors that the 2010 Coopers will come with Paradigm Shifters?

Old 08-11-2009 | 06:59 AM
MMKV
|
2nd Gear
Contact MINI

I contacted MINI via email and phone to share my concerns about the steering wheel:

I recently purchased a 2009 Mini Clubman. My car is hot chocolate with the hot chocolate leather interior. I wanted to add a hot chocolate leather steering wheel, but was told that because I have an automatic with paddles that is not possible. I would like to have that steering wheel added. Does MINI have plans to create a hot chocolate leather steering wheel or an adapter that will work with the automatic with the paddles? I believe that many MINI owners would be interested in it.

The link to contact them online is as follows:

http://www.miniusa.com/footer-contac...tFaq/contact-m

The telephone number is 866-ASK-MINI.

Who knows maybe if lots of people contact them, they will do something about it.

Old 08-12-2009 | 06:50 PM
MMKV
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by moniquekv
I contacted MINI via email and phone to share my concerns about the steering wheel:

I recently purchased a 2009 Mini Clubman. My car is hot chocolate with the hot chocolate leather interior. I wanted to add a hot chocolate leather steering wheel, but was told that because I have an automatic with paddles that is not possible. I would like to have that steering wheel added. Does MINI have plans to create a hot chocolate leather steering wheel or an adapter that will work with the automatic with the paddles? I believe that many MINI owners would be interested in it.

The link to contact them online is as follows:

http://www.miniusa.com/footer-contac...tFaq/contact-m

The telephone number is 866-ASK-MINI.

Who knows maybe if lots of people contact them, they will do something about it.
I got a response from MINI today, here is what it said:

Hi Monique,

Thanks for writing MINI. We appreciate your inquiry.

Unfortunately, at this time there is no additional information on a new steering wheel for the MINI Clubman. However, I will forward your request along to the appropriate department for review and consideration for the future. MINI is always looking for new and creative ideas to improve our MINIs and make them even more fun. Thank you for sharing your ideas and comments with us. :-)

If there are further questions I can assist with, please feel free to drop me an e-mail. I would be happy to lend a hand.

LET'S MOTOR.
Christa McGrew
MINI Customer Relations and Services
Representative
866.ASK.MINI (866.275.6464)

I think if more and more people make similar inquiries or requests, we could actually get some traction on this. Let's do this!

Old 08-13-2009 | 04:35 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by moniquekv
I got a response from MINI today, here is what it said:

Hi Monique,

Thanks for writing MINI. We appreciate your inquiry.

Unfortunately, at this time there is no additional information on a new steering wheel for the MINI Clubman. However, I will forward your request along to the appropriate department for review and consideration for the future. MINI is always looking for new and creative ideas to improve our MINIs and make them even more fun. Thank you for sharing your ideas and comments with us. :-)

If there are further questions I can assist with, please feel free to drop me an e-mail. I would be happy to lend a hand.

LET'S MOTOR.
Christa McGrew
MINI Customer Relations and Services
Representative
866.ASK.MINI (866.275.6464)

I think if more and more people make similar inquiries or requests, we could actually get some traction on this. Let's do this!
Not trying sound negative here but being realistic.

The only words in that response that is different from three I have gotten is the words "new steering wheel" other wise it is exactly the same down to the persons name and smiley face at the end. All they have done is plug in the words "new steering wheel" where in other responses to me they plugged in "cell phones", "seat belts" and "stereo amplifier".

Old 08-13-2009 | 10:40 AM
Alphawave
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Not trying sound negative here but being realistic.

The only words in that response that is different from three I have gotten is the words "new steering wheel" other wise it is exactly the same down to the persons name and smiley face at the end. All they have done is plug in the words "new steering wheel" where in other responses to me they plugged in "cell phones", "seat belts" and "stereo amplifier".
Yep..that is a 'you-i-fied' canned response. All you can do is try!

Old 08-13-2009 | 11:43 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
You received their version of the bedbug letter.

Years ago, the story goes, when people still traveled in Pullman sleeping cars, a passenger found a bedbug in his berth. He immediately wrote a letter to George M. Pullman, president of the Pullman's Palace Car Company, informing him of this unhappy fact, and in reply he received a very apologetic letter from Pullman himself.

The company had never heard of such a thing, Pullman wrote, and as a result of the passenger's experience, all of the sleeping cars were being pulled off the line and fumigated. The Pullman's Palace Car Company was committed to providing its customers with the highest level of service, Pullman went on, and it would spare no expense in meeting that goal. Thank you for writing, he said, and if you ever have a similar problem — or any problem — do not hesitate to write again.

Enclosed with this letter, by accident, was the passenger's original letter to Pullman, across the bottom of which the president had written, "Send this S.O.B. the bedbug letter."

Old 08-13-2009 | 03:47 PM
Figfuggo
2nd Gear
Well I joined the party and requested the chocolate wheel. So that's two of us so far.

Old 08-13-2009 | 08:43 PM
MMKV
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Alphawave
Yep..that is a 'you-i-fied' canned response. All you can do is try!
Can't you guys let me keep my dreams of making a difference?!?

Old 08-14-2009 | 10:40 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
I'd be afraid the steering wheel would melt in my hand every time it was hot outside.

Old 08-14-2009 | 12:17 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by lurch70
I'd be afraid the steering wheel would melt in my hand every time it was hot outside.
Well mine is made of a very rich dark chocolate that melts in your mouth not in your hand, oh that's m&m's sorry

Old 08-14-2009 | 01:37 PM
Figfuggo
2nd Gear
Smells better than the cheese wheel I'm using now though.