R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 crack in rear door tail light C pillar?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:12 PM
accordselux
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
crack in rear door tail light C pillar?

Hi everyone-

I noticed this crack developed and it must have happened in a short period of time since I am very attentive about my car. I took it to my dealer to have covered under warranty and they claim it is from an impact. However, there are no scuff marks near the crack, no damage to my rear bumper, and no damage to the taillight, which protrudes beyond this trim! I park in a garage, ride the bus to work, and when I park, I park far away from anyone, usually near an island so I have my driver's side protected.

Since this opens and closes, I think it's a stress related crack and should be a warranty issue. I got a flat answer of "it's from an impact, you must have backed up and hit something or someone hit you." But there's no other damage and it's in a really weird spot, so I don't agree with that statement. I also have PDC and don't have a habit of backing up into weird spaces.

Anyone else have any experience of this or know what steps to take to get this covered? I'm headed back this Tuesday for my oil change and I was hoping I could get some more ammo to support my case.

See for yourself and tell me what you think!

No bumper damage:

No taillight damage:

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Skye2
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel your pain. This is typical behavior from the MINI dealer.

My clubman had blotchy paint on the doors and their "factory rep" claimed it was "within spec". The paint was not mixed thoroughly before the spray. (got an estimate from a highly recommended body shop) I recommend getting a factory rep to look at it. If you do not get satisfaction, there are pro bono attorneys that will help. Contacting MINI USA will be of no help to you as they deem the factory rep's word as final.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 AM
tattedXB
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Skye2
I feel your pain. This is typical behavior from the MINI dealer.

My clubman had blotchy paint on the doors and their "factory rep" claimed it was "within spec". The paint was not mixed thoroughly before the spray. (got an estimate from a highly recommended body shop) I recommend getting a factory rep to look at it. If you do not get satisfaction, there are pro bono attorneys that will help. Contacting MINI USA will be of no help to you as they deem the factory rep's word as final.
Dude, can you just quit being so negative please? You sold your mini, now quit trying to be a Debbie Downer for everybody else here

http://www.youtube.com/v/3yFSpml8oSw&hl=en&fs=1&

Old 08-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Skye2
3rd Gear
I am only trying to help.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:50 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tattedXB
Dude, can you just quit being so negative please? You sold your mini, now quit trying to be a Debbie Downer for everybody else here

http://www.youtube.com/v/3yFSpml8oSw&hl=en&fs=1&
+1

And BTW Skye2 if it were a problem with the paint not being mixed well there would be HUNDREDS of cars with that problem. Not just yours.

So as has been said stop dising MINI jstu because you were not happy with yours. BTW I would surely bet that your Pre-owned Toyota or what ever it is, is not up to your standards for the MINI either so why not go caomplain to them and on the Toyota forums.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:58 AM
jtc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Skye2
I am only trying to help.
I wouldn't call complaining about a car that you don't even own anymore "helping." Why you continue to hang around this forum is beyond me.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:59 AM
RckyMtnTwisties
2nd Gear
Are there any photo's of the crack underneith the tail light lense? Looking for a stress point or notch that would be the start of the crack.