R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 How to disable the Headlight washers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 06:50 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to disable the Headlight washers?

Anyone know where a Forum thread is, or otherwise know how to disable the Headlight washer function? R56/55

Old 08-28-2009, 08:07 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by moe-jiller
Anyone know where a Forum thread is, or otherwise know how to disable the Headlight washer function? R56/55
Why would you want to disable it. it does a great job on keeping the lights clean especially in the winter.

But I will look into it to see if it can be done for you.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The headlight washers are req'd because you have the Xenon's. Can't be disabled unless you wanted to cut some wires.....lol

Old 08-28-2009, 01:44 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Why would you want to disable it. it does a great job on keeping the lights clean especially in the winter.

But I will look into it to see if it can be done for you.
Where I live nothing (snow,dirt, sludge, etc) ever gets on the lens. In the sweltering - Houston Texas area the only thing the washers do is water spot the rest of the car. :(

Old 08-28-2009, 01:45 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bigshot
The headlight washers are req'd because you have the Xenon's. Can't be disabled unless you wanted to cut some wires.....lol
no fuse or wiring harness to unplug?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:53 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Well they are not actully required they are just part of the Xenon head lights. No requirement to actually have them work. As for the connection I have not been able to get out to the car to check on a couple of things.

I will post back here when I have had a cahnce to check the wiring diagrams and the hose connections.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually they are req'd by the governments in Europe.

See the part about Xenon's.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:20 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Actually they are req'd by the governments in Europe.

See the part about Xenon's.
But the person asking here is from Texas and is NOT in Europe and under the US Laws FMVSS 108 does not require them. So my statament of "Not actually required" in this instance is correct.

No they may be required by most European countries they are not required by all as not all European countries subscribe to ECE Regulation 4.

As for the manufacture of them it is definitely to MINI's advantage to only make one unit.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:42 AM
Aphraidknot
1st Gear
Originally Posted by moe-jiller
Where I live nothing (snow,dirt, sludge, etc) ever gets on the lens. In the sweltering - Houston Texas area the only thing the washers do is water spot the rest of the car. :(
Hey I agree, all they really do is spot my car all over. In fact so do the windshield wipers sprays, I never use them in any car I have ever owned. Like you though, I am blessed with a climate that doesn't require it. SoCal/Vegas. :-)

Old 08-29-2009, 09:19 AM
minichev_81
1st Gear
what i would do to disable the washers, is simply unplug the wire going to the pump that feeds the headlight washers, and tie them up somehow. simple and if you ever wanna sell, you can hook them back up.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:58 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by minichev_81
what i would do to disable the washers, is simply unplug the wire going to the pump that feeds the headlight washers, and tie them up somehow. simple and if you ever wanna sell, you can hook them back up.
Just disconnecting wiring in this car can be dangerous you never know what else the computer is doing with it. Also getting to that connector is rather difficult as it is on the side of the washer tank behind the inner fender well.

A much easier way to turn them off is to remove Fuse 3 in the passanger foot well fuse block.

Just to let you know F1 is an empty slot F2 is a 20 Amp fuse and F 3 is a 30 amp fuse. I pulled mine out yesterday and the head light washers have not come on since. Put the fuse back in this afternoon and the first time I used the windshield washers the lights got washed as well.

Also of note is that the wiring diagrams show that nothing else is connected to this fuse.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:05 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Just disconnecting wiring in this car can be dangerous you never know what else the computer is doing with it. Also getting to that connector is rather difficult as it is on the side of the washer tank behind the inner fender well.

A much easier way to turn them off is to remove Fuse 3 in the passanger foot well fuse block.

Just to let you know F1 is an empty slot F2 is a 20 Amp fuse and F 3 is a 30 amp fuse. I pulled mine out yesterday and the head light washers have not come on since. Put the fuse back in this afternoon and the first time I used the windshield washers the lights got washed as well.

Also of note is that the wiring diagrams show that nothing else is connected to this fuse.
Your comments are on the money. Today the Dealer showed me how and where to disconnect the wiring harness to the headlight washer pump. We left it disconnected and the system did not set any codes. I do however like the fuse pull as an easier (for me to remember) solution. First chance I get I will reconnect the wiring and pull the fuse. Thanks for the input. ajm

Old 06-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Akack
1st Gear

Thanks for the info, just removed fuse 3. I live in TX and headlight washers are not necessary down here.