R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Learned my lesson (a rant)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Joep
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Learned my lesson (a rant)

Let me start out by saying I don't like to complain, but this just bugs the crap out of me.

I recently started riding a bike again and I usually take my bike in the back of my clubman. Because it's a pain in the **** to break down my bike, I decided that I would look into the roof rack and bike holder found on the MINIUSA site.

This week I called the dealership to schedule an appointment to get some work done and I ask about the roof rack and bike holder. At first the person in parts department tells me they don't exist. Then after pointing them to the website (I show them the accessories on the MINIUSA site) they agreed that the parts existed and, to their surprise, they had four roof racks and one bike holder on-site. I asked for a quote on the parts (knowing that the roof rack online was $230 and the bike holder was $141) and they say $577. I ask if that the total cost, and the say yes "parts and labor".

So I bring my Clubman into the dealership and tell them to do the work. A few hours later I get a call and they say that it would be $849 to install the roof rack and bike holder. $849! What happened to the $577?? They say they can't pay for the parts at $577. I tell them that I was quoted $577. They apologize but they say it can't be done at that price. So I decline the work.

When I go to pick up my Clubman, the service advisor comes over and apologizes for any inconvenience. I accept his apology and tell him I am not mad at him but at his management and that they needed to grow a set and accept the responsibility of the quote given to me. I told him that because of their actions my wife will not look at the new MINI coming out (she has been very interested in the Crossman/Countryman) at least not at this dealership.

My lesson - when someone provides me a quote over the phone I will get them to fax or email it to me asap. I will never do that again. I'm pretty disappointed and pissed at the dealership, but since it wasn't in writing they don't have to do anything. But I heard what I heard and they said that I was told it but they couldn't do it at that price.

Again, sorry for complaining but I am just tired of crap like this.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:59 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Dealerships are frustrating places - I get different prices from different parts people ??? I have learned to get the good prices in writing.

It also can help to mention the Morristown Mini Price:(http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214217) prices avaiable (the mark-up on this stuff is substantial).

Old 09-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An estimate is just that. It is not a contract to do the work and unfortunately they are under no legal obligation to perfrom the work based on a faulty estimate.

While I can sympathize with the situation, be glad they didn't already do the work and then tell you it cost much more.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Joep
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bigshot
An estimate is just that. It is not a contract to do the work and unfortunately they are under no legal obligation to perfrom the work based on a faulty estimate.

While I can sympathize with the situation, be glad they didn't already do the work and then tell you it cost much more.
I don't know if it's a Florida thing or what but I believe that with an estimate the total cost of a repair can not be more then 10% of the estimate. So if I had received a written estimate they couldn't go over $635. Not the $849.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
It would have been nice if they had stuck to their estimate but it was ONLY an estimate.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:58 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm with Joep on this one, I don't understand how they could be this far off, and while you can't force them to do the work at a loss without a signed agreement, it just seems weird they could make this much of a mistake.

Also, $850 for a roof rack and bike holder?

There's a MINI dealer on Ebay selling a new roofrack in the box with full 2 year warranty delivered for $200

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MINI-...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by MINIdave; 09-05-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:30 AM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
I can see the rack with two bike trays running 400-500 for parts. then you add in the labor..ouch

glad we ordered the factory roof rails. no hassle to put on or take off the rack system

Old 09-05-2009, 09:35 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Why not get a BMW shop that knows Mini's well do it and pay a TON less? The dealer is almost always the best way to get ripped off. There's a reason some people call it "the stealer".

Originally Posted by Joep
Let me start out by saying I don't like to complain, but this just bugs the crap out of me.

I recently started riding a bike again and I usually take my bike in the back of my clubman. Because it's a pain in the **** to break down my bike, I decided that I would look into the roof rack and bike holder found on the MINIUSA site.

This week I called the dealership to schedule an appointment to get some work done and I ask about the roof rack and bike holder. At first the person in parts department tells me they don't exist. Then after pointing them to the website (I show them the accessories on the MINIUSA site) they agreed that the parts existed and, to their surprise, they had four roof racks and one bike holder on-site. I asked for a quote on the parts (knowing that the roof rack online was $230 and the bike holder was $141) and they say $577. I ask if that the total cost, and the say yes "parts and labor".

So I bring my Clubman into the dealership and tell them to do the work. A few hours later I get a call and they say that it would be $849 to install the roof rack and bike holder. $849! What happened to the $577?? They say they can't pay for the parts at $577. I tell them that I was quoted $577. They apologize but they say it can't be done at that price. So I decline the work.

When I go to pick up my Clubman, the service advisor comes over and apologizes for any inconvenience. I accept his apology and tell him I am not mad at him but at his management and that they needed to grow a set and accept the responsibility of the quote given to me. I told him that because of their actions my wife will not look at the new MINI coming out (she has been very interested in the Crossman/Countryman) at least not at this dealership.

My lesson - when someone provides me a quote over the phone I will get them to fax or email it to me asap. I will never do that again. I'm pretty disappointed and pissed at the dealership, but since it wasn't in writing they don't have to do anything. But I heard what I heard and they said that I was told it but they couldn't do it at that price.

Again, sorry for complaining but I am just tired of crap like this.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:15 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
What labor?

If there ever was a DIY it seems like this roof rack system is, isn't it made to be installed and removed by the owner, not left on all the time?

I don't think it's the same system as used on the 03-06 cars where they had to drill holes in specific places in the roof, I think this one just clamps on like most cars. And the bike kit part simply clamps to the base kit.

I see $200 for the base kit and another $150 for the bike attachments, $350 bux total if he DIY's it............at that rate $500 installed by the dealer makes some sense, which is why I don't understand the $850 quote........do you need two bike kits at $150 each to carry two bikes? Most of the bike kits I've seen (Like a Thule) are for two bikes.

Last edited by MINIdave; 09-05-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Joep
6th Gear
MINIDave and countryboyshane... I don't know this for a fact but I thought that the roof rack was something drilled into roof. So for me that was one of those things that made me decide (if i was going to have this done) that it would be done by the dealership. If something get's screwed up they were going to fix it.

And countryboyshane in Central Florida the MINI dealership is owned by the local BMW dealership. If I leave the area I can get it done at a different MINI dealership. I've been thinking about contacting the three MINI dealerships in the area (within 2.5 hours) to see the total cost. I'll probably do that tomorrow when the dealerships open up after the holiday.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:26 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
MINIDave and countryboyshane... I don't know this for a fact but I thought that the roof rack was something drilled into roof. So for me that was one of those things that made me decide (if i was going to have this done) that it would be done by the dealership. If something get's screwed up they were going to fix it.
Bolt on 'Roof Rails' and the removable 'Roof Rack' are different items. Roof Rails are a factory installed option and I do not recall anyone completing a retro-fit, dealer or otherwise. The roof rack is an over the counter accessory and is removable by the owner,at his or her discretion.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:28 AM
dbclub
1st Gear
On the subject of price "estimates" and accuracy: in my business (and most businesses), a price quote is a price quote. If you can't quote accurately, you shouldn't be providing pricing info. A reason many car dealers get a bad rap for service is that this being 2X off the estimate doesn't seem to be a rare occurence.

I know cost estimating ain't easy--that's why you should be very careful when you do it.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:56 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by moe-jiller
Bolt on 'Roof Rails' and the removable 'Roof Rack' are different items. Roof Rails are a factory installed option and I do not recall anyone completing a retro-fit, dealer or otherwise. The roof rack is an over the counter accessory and is removable by the owner,at his or her discretion.
Yes - true

all you ever wanted to know about removable OEM roof rack:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...an-issues.html

(FYI - mine is for sale, only a few months used, if you are interested)

Old 09-08-2009, 04:55 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
I did not understand this about the roof racks when I got my MINI about 3 weeks ago. I bought my car from the dealer's inventory. I really wanted the roof rails, but was told me that the roof rails had to be factory installed. I ordered the roof racks, not really understanding that they were removable. It wasn't the dealer's fault, they told that the rack was removable. I just somehow thought that the base was permanently attached so other kinds of carriers could attach to to it, or something. Honestly, I don't know what I thought as I was so giddy over suddenly buying a new car. I did feel rather foolish when I realized that I did not need to pay the extra money for the installation.
The only thing now is that I don't want to take them off for fear that I won't get them back on correctly.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Joep
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LittleWing
I did not understand this about the roof racks when I got my MINI about 3 weeks ago. I bought my car from the dealer's inventory. I really wanted the roof rails, but was told me that the roof rails had to be factory installed. I ordered the roof racks, not really understanding that they were removable. It wasn't the dealer's fault, they told that the rack was removable. I just somehow thought that the base was permanently attached so other kinds of carriers could attach to to it, or something. Honestly, I don't know what I thought as I was so giddy over suddenly buying a new car. I did feel rather foolish when I realized that I did not need to pay the extra money for the installation.
The only thing now is that I don't want to take them off for fear that I won't get them back on correctly.
So the rack is removable. I thought (stupid me) that they would be permanently installed. I mean for $849, of which approximately $512 of it is the parts - at retail price and $337 for labor, permanently installed was what I was thinking. I guess I learned my lesson.

Now that I understand this it is time to figure out what I want to do.

Thanks everyone!

Old 09-08-2009, 09:49 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Yeah, they are totally removable.

In fact, I have seen it recommended by some here on this forum that the racks should be removed when not in use. Some have posted that the points of contact can damage the paint job as dirt, etc works its way underneath them.
Hmmm, maybe I will take them off tomorrow afternoon and store them until I know I am going to use them.
To think, I passed on the Sirius radio installation at 1K as too expensive, then ordered these silly racks installed.

No one at MINI urged this on me.
I don't regret having the racks themselves, but I do regret ordering them from the dealer and having them installed there.
In fact, my MA looked a bit disconcerted when I ordered the racks, but I was absolutely certain that I wanted them!

My preference would have been the roof rails, but I had to chose from the cars already in inventory at the dealer.
I really didn't understand the difference between the roof rails and the roof racks. Now I get it!

For my next MINI, I will custom order...

I do love my car though!

ETA: Ahem.... just look at the sticky at the top of this forum. Ooops!

Installation of OEM roofrack

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Last edited by LittleWing; 09-08-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:23 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Having transported my bikes in my minivan, outside on the minivan using a trailer hitch rack and for years using a rear rack on my Prelude, I realized when I ordered the Clubman that transporting a bike the way I had in the past was going to be one of trial and error to get it right. I was not so much interested in transporting the bike on top of roof rails but i ordered my Clubman with factory rails anyway.

My thought was that I most frequently transport my bike with my minivan, so transporting via the Clubman was not a necessity. I have not yet reached the point where I am giving the Clubman transporting serious thought yet but what i have been watching in the forum, etc are mfrs that offering trailer hitch hookups for the Clubman and so i may go that route. But the easiest way to solve this isue was always my thought to first try hooking up a rear rack to the Clubman. That is one reason I factory ordered the rails besides the fact that i like the look and they may come in handy for other transporting. The thing is that what prevents use of a rear rack is a good hookup for the top straps but the top straps or longer ones could be used to attach to the rear of the rails. In that way, a rear rack may be feasible. has anyone tried that yet ?

Old 09-11-2009, 05:16 PM
JohnJohn
4th Gear
I don't know if it's a Florida thing or what but I believe that with an estimate the total cost of a repair can not be more then 10% of the estimate. So if I had received a written estimate they couldn't go over $635. Not the $849.
The key word is repair. Your buying something new. It's like calling BestBuy, asking them how much a new 52" HDTV is...then going in a few days later to find out it's $500 more.

Don't get em wrong I understand your frustration.

Looking back...since it was more you didn't get your lid drilled. I'd be thanking the dealer at this point.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:50 AM
ART ED
4th Gear
I thought the installation costs were way out of line as well so I just searched this site for the do it yourself way to handle it and, not being to mechanically inclined, I was able to do it. Bit of a pain but no worries. Buy it yourself and install it yourself. Be sure and follow the instructions on putting some tape on the roof prior to securing the racks or you will nick your paint if they pop off during installation. It has a spring loaded piece that gets rather jumpy when installing.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:52 AM
ART ED
4th Gear
I ended up paying just under $300.00 for the rack and saved double that if it had been done at the dealer.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:23 AM
inimini2007
6th Gear
Can't you go to a bicycle shop to have them install the rack?

Old 09-20-2009, 09:58 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
I have the factory roof rails too, but haven't bought anything to use them with yet............

I'm also thinking about a MINIDoMore hitch, so I can tow my small trailer and mower, and if I did that I would buy a hitch mount bike rack, if for no other reason than it's a lot easier than hoisting them up on the roof of the car!

However, putting them on the roof means you can get stuff out of the back of the car when they're loaded, something you can't do with a hitch mount rack. Decisions, decisions...............

Old 09-20-2009, 11:29 AM
ATCQL
5th Gear
My Clubman was on display with a roof rack,and i didn't want it,so it was removed before i purchased the car.Q

Old 09-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Joep
6th Gear
Thanks everyone. Having a bike shop do it is rather concerning. I would be worried about making sure that they don't damage the paint. Yeah assuming I am using a reputable bike shop. I wanted to get the permanent roof rack. I goofed up there. Should have ordered them with the Clubman.

Originally Posted by MINIdave
I have the factory roof rails too, but haven't bought anything to use them with yet............

I'm also thinking about a MINIDoMore hitch, so I can tow my small trailer and mower, and if I did that I would buy a hitch mount bike rack, if for no other reason than it's a lot easier than hoisting them up on the roof of the car!

However, putting them on the roof means you can get stuff out of the back of the car when they're loaded, something you can't do with a hitch mount rack. Decisions, decisions...............
Dave, the hitch? I saw one out here (someone from the Atlanta area had one) that required the license plate being moved. Is there something different out here that goes below the body. I guess I need to do somemore searches.