R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Maybe a Canada-specific question - flat cargo floor option

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:25 PM
taysan
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe a Canada-specific question - flat cargo floor option

In Canada at least, the flat cargo floor (the raised section to make the entire cargo area flat when rear seats are folded) is an option. It's called the Travel Package and costs a whopping $450. In the US this doesn't seem to exist as an option.

My 2008 Clubman (bought it used) did not come with this option, and I'm wondering if it's just a drop-in unit, or if it's more complicated than that? I'm going to call MINI to confirm, but thought I'd ask the smarter folks here first.

It's something I'd be interested in getting, if it's not a huge effort to install.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:07 AM
Surfink
4th Gear
Yes, mine is removable. I would think you could order the carpet covered plywood with the dealer.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:23 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
In the USA it is a standard feature. I believe in all other countries it is an optional package.

as i have never seen a car without the flat floor option I am not sure hwat parts are in the car and what parts are not in the car.

The picture below shows the flat floor holding rail. It is a piece of plastic that mounts to a metal rail and holds the flat floor in place. There is a notch in it to hold a stud that is mounted to the bottom of the flat floor and holds it in place.

If you do not have this plastic rail on each side of the rear of the car then there are 5 pieces you need to make the flat floor. they are

1. Metal brackets (x2, 1 left and 1 right) - these mount behind the side panels and stick thru the side panels to make the ledge that the plastic piece mounts to.

2. Plastic covers (x2, 1 left and 1 right) - these cover the metal bracket noted above.

3. Flat Floor - (x1) - this is the foldable flat floor that is carpeted to match the car.

If you need any more info just let me know and I can get it for you including part numbers.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Otra
6th Gear
I'm amazed that 1. it's an option anywhere and 2. that it could cost that much!

Once again, Schatzy you are right there with the details and more. I am very pleased that it came as standard for us down here in the USA and even so, I'm sure I wouldn't have paid an extra $450 for it...but, instead, would have gotten my husband the carpenter to make one for a great deal less.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:29 PM
crashmtb
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To retrofit it costs ~$1300 in parts and takes 4-5 hours labour.

The side panels for the flat floor-equipped cars are shaped slightly different than the ones without. They are also $226..

My car was supposed to have the flat floor, but didn't. Someone somewhere screwed up. so it had to be retrofitted. Took 9 months to get parts(backorder). I have the breakdown of the parts cost at home..

Old 09-09-2009, 02:30 PM
crashmtb
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, and that little folding bit of carpet covered wood? well over $600.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:59 PM
SirSweeney
1st Gear
Flat back floor, no back seat, rubber mat; perfect!

But pay $650 more for it? Fagetaboutit!

Should be cheaper like any other panel truck option.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:27 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Taysan,
My comment is that the US flat floor components do not carry weight as will as I expected. A flat surface for the dog - yes, A load floor for a small portable air compressor or loaded ice chest - no. The folding floor sections start to bow down with a moderate load. As an example - on motoring trips I have to be careful not to load a loaded Ice chest in the back - center (where it is easy to get to). That kind of item must be slid forward to the front panel over the frame cross member. ajm

Old 09-10-2009, 05:08 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by moe-jiller
Taysan,
My comment is that the US flat floor components do not carry weight as will as I expected. A flat surface for the dog - yes, A load floor for a small portable air compressor or loaded ice chest - no. The folding floor sections start to bow down with a moderate load. As an example - on motoring trips I have to be careful not to load a loaded Ice chest in the back - center (where it is easy to get to). That kind of item must be slid forward to the front panel over the frame cross member. ajm
I have no problem putting a 100+ pound cooler with beer and ice in the back of mine. And there is NO bowing of the flat floor in my 08 even with that kind of weight on it. Also my dog lies on it all the time and she is 80+ pounds with NO bowing.

I also sit there faily often with the doors open while in the parking lot at concerts, sporting events, etc and at 173 pounds I also do NOT bow the flat floor. And my butt is only about 24" wide so it has a more concentrated area of weight than that of a large cooler

Now mine is an April 2008 build and they may have change the material or made ohter changes to it that I am not aware of but I have no problem with mine.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:52 AM
taysan
2nd Gear
Thanks for all the responses on this issue - clearly I won't be adding this to my Clubman, at least not the MINI OEM version of the flat floor.

Just one more example of how BMW really does screw over Canadian customers vs. US. Not only do I pay $450 for what is a $0 option to US customers, the base price on the Clubman's is vastly different and does not reflect in any way current monetary exchange rates, import duty differences etc.

A base Clubman here starts at CAD$26,500, or about US$24,400. The same base Clubman goes for US$20,850 in the USA. Oh, and the MINI dealers here charge a whopping $2,000 for delivery and dealer prep, and then we're into 13% taxes on a new car. A $27,000 base Clubman in metallic paint turns into a $32,000 car once you get out the door with it.

So I'm paying US$4,000 more for the same car, once I add the $400 flat floor option. A 20% difference in price is nuts and BMW should be taken to task on it. They also make it impossible to import these cars into Canada from the US, unlike most other manufacturers.

It's the same on motorcycle parts. My friend and I regularly drive to Rochester to buy parts for our old 1975 R75/6 and R90/6 bikes. The parts are 1/2 the price in the US.

But I do love the Clubman!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:55 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Where the flat floor meets the rear of the seats there are two fabric flaps covered with thin strips of shiny black plastic. On my Clubman one of the strips came loose, probably just a poor adhesive. Did my dealer glue it back on? Of course not, they replaced the complete assembly with a new one! Glad that was covered under warranty!
As for retrofitting a floor cover, I would try a local aftermarket car audio installer to see if they could build you a suitable cover for a lot less. They're used to building custom speaker enclosures using MDF and fabric, which is really all you would need. They could also probably fabricate side supports as well. It might be worth a try. I would even try a DIY, for about $20 worth of particle board and $10 worth of mouse-fur fabric.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:01 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by schatzy62
I have no problem putting a 100+ pound cooler with beer and ice in the back of mine. And there is NO bowing of the flat floor in my 08 even with that kind of weight on it. Also my dog lies on it all the time and she is 80+ pounds with NO bowing.

I also sit there faily often with the doors open while in the parking lot at concerts, sporting events, etc and at 173 pounds I also do NOT bow the flat floor. And my butt is only about 24" wide so it has a more concentrated area of weight than that of a large cooler

Now mine is an April 2008 build and they may have change the material or made ohter changes to it that I am not aware of but I have no problem with mine.
+1... I've never had an issue with the load-capacity of the rear floor, and I've had lots of heavy loads back there on numerous Home Depot runs.