R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Advice About Sunroof And The HiFi Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 04:55 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jgohlke
I put sunroof shades in the car, consequently, I don't open the sunroofs. I may get some use out of them during the cooler months (it's only about 2 months old), we'll see. I bought the car "off the lot", and the sunroof was the only option it had, I didn't really want. It's isn't terrible to live with, I may get some use out of it, but given the choice, I would have picked a car without one.
Here is an answer to sun shades and being able to have the sunroof open as well WITH the sunshades in place.

http://www.zippeegear.com/documents/products.html

I have these and yes I do drive with the sunroof in lifted vent mode and full open with out removing these shades and have not lost one yet. In fact Zippee warranties them to stay in place while driving. Click on the "Gone With The Wind Guarantee" and read about it.

And for only $45.00 I think they are definately worth it. And during the winter I can take them out and they will fit in the glove box. They are very small when folded up.

I have also found that they keep the interior a lot cooler on sunny hot days.

The only problem I have with them is that when I close the sunroof I have to adjust the drivers side corner extension as it gets messed up with the movement. but that only takes a second to adjust and it is only a small (less than 1/2") opening for the sun to get thru.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:03 AM
mostyn
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One option for the sun roof is to put tint like previously mentioned. There is another, put a vinyl cover over it. Ther are solid vinyl flags or just the color of the top. I live in So Cal and a friend did solid white and it looks like the metal roof. But can be opened fully to allow all the sun in. Do not get the see thru type with little holes as they will go bad.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:29 AM
jcoop36
2nd Gear
I'm on my second MINI, this one a Clubman, both with sunroof - love it and wouldn't do without it. No sun/heat issues, I didn't have them tinted. I have bought the Zippee shades and they're great for when I park in the sun - they could be used for driving as well if you wanted.
I bought the upgrade HiFi in both, and in the Clubman, I got the HiDef HiFi - it sounds great. Well worth it IMO, and you don't have to hassle with after-purchase alterations....but, as has been said before, for MINI owners, it is to each his own. Good luck, by driving any version of MINI you become a member of an obsessed cult!

Old 09-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Alphawave
Originally Posted by bimmermeup
I live in Durham, NC and have had my car since early June...

My original build idea didn't have the sunroof but did have the HiFi. Here's how I came to that decision:

One of my friends has no HiFi the other has HiFi. Both have iPod interfaces. One with navigation one without. One has a sunroof the other does not. So was able to get informed comments about both options (and Navigation as well) and they let me plug my iPod in and check out some stuff from my library. To me, the HiFi was better than stock. Was it as good as the Bose system in my SLK? No. But still better than the stock Mini system. After reading all the comments about both versions here with upgrade options, I decided to get the HiFi so I had some decent sounds for the short term. And as time goes on, keep an eye out for some speaker upgrades later and plug them in should I need it. My philosophy is this: Anyone who has ever spent any time in studio recording and listening to playback on studio monitors is never gonna be happy with any system in an automotive environment. Listening tastes: I listen to music at moderate levels and prefer clarity with some emphasis on the mids.

Additional Note: During this same process, I decided on the nav system for an easier to use system for the bluetooth and ipod integration. My eyes aren't the best and the joystick just makes thing too convenient to operate.; Hell I only used the map twice this summer and I'm still happy with the choice. Pricewise, going for the Nav meant giving up the Leather, but the cloth has worked out nicely even without lumbar support.

I originally decided on no sunroof because my friend with the sunroof complained about the heat effects and convinced me I didn't need it.

How I ended up with a sunroof:
When I built the car, I found out that Nav requires automatic A/C. This along with some other options meant I could get the sunroof at a discount. I was still not convinced. What ended up convicing me was my two and a half years olds joy at looking out the sunroof..

How I live with it in the Durham, NC heat:
At first I thought I really blew it. The car gets pretty hot when parked in the sunlight.

One step to make things nicer was to pop the sunroof into vent mode when parking. Car is definitely cooler when sitting for a while in the sun when the sunroofs are on vent.

In times I can't leave the top popped to vent, I use the remote to roll down all the windows and vent the car as I am walking up. For most of the summer, this was a workable solution.

So in short: I gave up leather seating and snazzy rims to get Nav, HiFi and a Sunroof. I can always recover the seats down the road an ask for some nice rims and tires from Santa.

Would I order sunroofs again? Yes
Would I order HiFi again? Yes
Would I order Nav again? Heck Yes

Are all of our tastes different? Absolutely! That is why we drive MINIs!

Hopefully, you are happy with your final choice as I am mine. Happy Motoring...
Excellent synopsis! I *could* spend money upgrading the stereo further, but it would be bad money chasing after good. The MINI is just too small of an environment to get any real spatial effect, and even the huge sedans barely pull it off, and I'd rather upgrade a set of cans! Speaking of spatial effect...visually, the sunroof is IT! bottom line. I have to avoid accidents on the GG Bridge, and downtown EssEff as I gaze at all that is above me...incredible.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:24 PM
HTClubman
5th Gear
rasputinj and I live in Southern California and got the sunroof on our 2009 Clubman S. Wouldn't consider it any other way. We've had ZERO problems with it and have driven it in very hot weather a number of times (> 100 degrees). We also have the Zippy shade and use it occasionally. We also got it tinted darker to help with blocking the sun. It feels really good to fly through a canyon on the way to the beach with the roof open and the windows down . We also chose not to get the HiFi but rather installed new speakers, amp and sub-woofer, and dynamat for sound. Added all that for less than $500. Sound is AWESOME. rasputinj is a certified audio person, so it was easy for him, but may be more challenging to do for someone who doesn't know how. If you do a lot of driving and enjoy the fresh air, I'd go with the sunroof. Good luck!

Old 09-11-2009, 05:05 AM
jgohlke
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting posts about the auto A/C. It was an attractive option for me as well. It is my first car with automatic air conditioning. Unfortunately, it doesn't work very well. For hot climates with lots of sun, the A/C is very underpowered. Riding around in the car in the summer, even with window tinting and sunroof shades, the car never gets cool when I use the auto setting. It isn't a big deal when I'm running errands or just goofing around, but I don't like getting all sweaty in my work clothes.

I've taken to running the A/C on max and manually adjusting the fan speed. That is the only way I can keep the car cool.

My other car is a 2003 Ford F-150. The A/C in that car, even after 6 years is freezing cold and the fan really puts on some air. Cabin is small, windows are tinted and it's a V8. Of course, it only gets 14 MPG....

My wife drives a 2006 BMW Z4 and the A/C is the same. Underpowered.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Alphawave
Originally Posted by jgohlke
Interesting posts about the auto A/C. It was an attractive option for me as well. It is my first car with automatic air conditioning. Unfortunately, it doesn't work very well. For hot climates with lots of sun, the A/C is very underpowered. Riding around in the car in the summer, even with window tinting and sunroof shades, the car never gets cool when I use the auto setting. It isn't a big deal when I'm running errands or just goofing around, but I don't like getting all sweaty in my work clothes.

I've taken to running the A/C on max and manually adjusting the fan speed. That is the only way I can keep the car cool.

My other car is a 2003 Ford F-150. The A/C in that car, even after 6 years is freezing cold and the fan really puts on some air. Cabin is small, windows are tinted and it's a V8. Of course, it only gets 14 MPG....

My wife drives a 2006 BMW Z4 and the A/C is the same. Underpowered.
This was my first experience with Automatic Climate Control (ACC) too! However, I love it, and it will now always be a feature I seek. I have noticed that for short trips in town, it seems to struggle to keep the car cool on hot 100+ days, but once out on the open road (rpm's) really kicks it into gear. I think the compressor requires around 2K rpm steadily applied, to get it's best performance. Fortunately, when I fire up Pelle, I'm on a freeway in no time, and never have to futz with the A/C-ACC at all.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:53 PM
jgohlke
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, that makes sense. My commute is about 20 miles, but it's mostly through town, stop and go, max speed 35 mph or so. It's a taxing situation for the car's A/C.

We are just starting to get a hint of cool-down here in Central Florida. I'm hoping to start using the ACC and sunroof more in a couple of weeks.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:06 PM
JohnJohn
4th Gear
Sunroof: Yes

HiFi: No, take the $500+ the interest you save(good way of selling $500+ in stereo mods to the spouse) and buy after market speakers.

but...order the front a pillar tweeters with your Boost/Stock radio. I just ordered them and am installing them after the fact. I "hear" they help throw the sound better, even on a stock Boost system.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:20 PM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I had a new Nissan Maxima from '90 to '94 with a sunroof. I REALLY enjoyed it. I had an Isuzu Trooper from '94 until a couple of weeks ago. It took me a long time to get over not having a sunroof. My new JCW Clubman does have a sunroof and I would not trade it. It really makes a difference in the riding experience.

I have the regular sound system, so no comment there...

Old 09-13-2009, 09:20 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
HIFI is a waste of money, you still get the same crappy speakers as the non hifi. I would suggest at least upgrading the speakers and put in a real amplifier and subwoofer. That is what I did.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:31 PM
HTClubman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rasputinj
HIFI is a waste of money, you still get the same crappy speakers as the non hifi. I would suggest at least upgrading the speakers and put in a real amplifier and subwoofer. That is what I did.
You mean that's what "we" did!

Old 09-13-2009, 09:33 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by HTClubman
You mean that's what "we" did!
Yes dear we, but I did the work......

Old 09-23-2009, 07:16 AM
hoonu
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Okay, my 0.02: Never had a sunroof until the Passat (before the Clubman); I've got it open at every opportunity. I find that cracking it helps the AC get caught up after the car's been closed up in the heat. Leaving it cracked keeps it from getting as hot. The sunroof was a "no doubt about it" decision for me.

Auto AC (I know this wasn't part of the original question): I really like it. On 90+ days, it works to catch up on short trips, but I can't imagine that the manual system would be any better. For a small car, the Clubman has a lot of glass, AND a lot of roof surface area. If you've got a dark roof, it's not the AC's fault that the car gets hot. I find the auto temp setting is very convenient in all seasons. This is the first car that I don't have to "ride herd" on the temperature level.

HiFi: As the other poster said, if you've spent time listening to very high quality speakers, either in the studio or at home, you're going to find auto systems somewhat lacking. Also, IMO, you're asking a lot for a system in a MINI to rival the quality you might hear in a CLK, Lexus, or for that matter any larger sedan. This is a small car. You're going to have a significant intrusion of road noise into your listening pleasure. So, for me, the question was whether the HiFi system was better than stock for general listening. My MA loaned me some CDs, and I went for a ride in cars with and without the HiFi upgrade. Question answered. If what you want is great sound sitting still, the upgrade money might be better spent in the aftermarket. The other thing about it being a small car is that there's not that much room to put addtional components. I've upgraded a lot of cars in the past, and just didn't feel like putting the effort into swapping speakers, nor did I trust the local shops not to bugger things up. But, as always, YMMV.

As for the HD Radio, I did some research and decided against it. Discussion on this is HERE and HERE, although there may be newer threads.

HTH.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:52 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
Old 09-23-2009, 11:16 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have an '03 MCS JCW with the sunroof and the Harmon Karden stereo, when it came time to order my '09 Clubman I did not buy either and I'm happy with the decision.

The sunroof not only adds heat and glare when driving, it's loud and annoying when open, and in fact the only time I felt it could be used was in town, and even then I found myself closing it again after a few minutes due to traffic noise and wind noise. So even tho I rarely open the one on my '03, but I have to deal with the heat and glare every time I drive it. It also adds some weight up high in the car for those who track their car (I do)

As to the stereo, the radio stations in my area suck completely, I turn on the radio, scan thru the channels and wind up turning it right back off again - its a waste on me. I prefer listening to the silence, or when I have the windows down on a warm day, the sound of the exhaust - it's much nicer!