R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Advice About Sunroof And The HiFi Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Cubist
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice About Sunroof And The HiFi Upgrade

I live in Chapel Hill, NC, and I do lot's of one to three day road trips all over the state. I've all but made up my mind to buy a Clubman Cooper S, and, speaking as someone whose never owned a car with a sunroof, I'm wondering if it's worth it to have one on the Clubman. I see from other threads that there are more than a few of you experiencing problems, at least those of you who live in hotter climates it seems. Other than the alleged issues in other threads, what are the drawbacks/positives of having a sunroof in the Clubman?

Also, can I hear from anyone who has the HiFi stereo? It's five hundred dollars more, but is it five hundred dollars better? Of all people, the salesman I test drove with was very lukewarm about the HiFi upgrade(take that one with a grain of salt though). One thread I found seemed mixed at best with the HiFi upgrade. I'm willing to spend more to get better sound, but it has to be worth it. From a lot of the commentary on the other HiFi thread I found, it seemed that seeking aftermarket upgrades would have led to a better result for the same money(better speakers).

I'm currently splitting my time between a motorcycle and a toyota truck, and the Clubman seems to me to be the best of both. The Clubman S I test drove had plenty of power, no matter what gear I was in, and I REALLY liked that, it's just like my motorcycle. The backseats could also be laid flat, which at the least, makes for a reasonable amount of cargo volume. Other cars I test drove were:

The Honda Fit(lacking in power but an AMAZING amount of interior room)
Mazda3(good power, tough ergonomically, and kind of cheap interior)
VW Jetta TDI(interesting, but not very powerful)

I liked the Clubman from the minute I sat in it. Even though I'm a big guy(280lbs and 6ft), I fit well and it wasn't too much trouble getting in and out. None of the other cars I drove had the same effect on me. The Clubman said "buy me", the others felt more like "PLEASE buy me".

I'm grateful to any who take the time to offer their opinions.

Last edited by Cubist; 09-08-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:49 PM
geoffv
3rd Gear
for the 2010 I guess there was some improvements in the HiFi sytem, but not $500 worth. Lots of us have added new speakers, amps and subs to replace the terrible system. I'd spend you money on upgrading the system after.

The sun roof is great, you sit low in the car and it really opens the interior cabin up more. Yes, my sun roof does lock up when it's hot, but it's been minor to me. I just need to push on the glass and it will open open.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Cubist
Neutral
It's hard not to like the sunroof as a feature, I mean it's not exactly a technical upgrade, like the LSD, either you get it or you don't, but a lot of you here on this forum are into not your first but your second Mini's and therefore in a good position to answer the question of whether or not a $1000 sunroof is $1000 better than a Clubman without one. Thanks again to all taking the time to reply. You don't have to sell me the car, I love it as it is, I'm just trying to sort out the details now. The sunroof being the most important perhaps.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:30 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my sunroof, and I really don't have a major issue with the HiFi stereo, either.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:54 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
geoff was right about the HiFi system. Just go over to the NAV and Auido section and you will find out how amny people do not like the HiFi system

My suggestion takethe base radio and replace the speakers and if you need more volume add an amp.

As for the sunroof. One note is that it doen not come wiht a solid cover so itwill never block all the sunlight. The shadesa re like screens, check one out. I thought i was going to have a problem with that as i also do a lot of driving inthe sun and did not wnat to burn my bald head. I have nctaully come to like the sunroof. The one thing I did was buy Zippy Shades this year, and those have kept some of the heat down in the car this summer. Also my dog likes it in the car better as she is not inthe sunlight now. She is 13 years old and would rather be in the shade.

Of course the sunroof is a personal thing but as I stated I thought I would hate it but it came with one of the packages I had to have, and i hve gotten used to it.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Cubist
Neutral
Thanks so much. This was the kind of info I was after. The HiFi is $500 more but not $500 dollars better.

The sunroof just might be worth it....

I'd be happy to hear from other Clubman owners. Thanks

Old 09-08-2009, 06:04 PM
KdF
2nd Gear
I really didn't want the sunroof, and without it tinted in texas it kinda suxors. But I have adapted with tint / zippie shades and learnin that if I crack it when I park at work, the heat inside the car is bearable when I get off and it's over 100 deg. The other day, we drove thru downtown after eating out and happened to look up, never had seen something like that before, kinda kewl. The other thought on your question is I would have only wanted the HD radio, as Great sound quality in Auto's means nothing to a old Hippie type with hearing loss. The new HD stations are great , but not for $1300 from MINI or even the purchase of one from Mini. Rather i got the $50 JVC adapter and plugged that into the aux port. Ta-da...HD radio.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:19 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My preferences are sunroof (no), but HiFi upgrade (yes). Not surprisiingly, my MCS is equipped that way. The sunroof heats up the interior, and provides a vertical view that's not too exciting. As for the HiFi upgrade, I recently had a MCS loaner without it, and the sound difference was noticable. Check the aftermarket and see what $500 buys: nothing.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Cubist
Neutral
Could you comment more on what you particularly thought was lacking in the standard stereo vs. the HiFi?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Kimbo80
4th Gear
I have the sunroof and the HiFi upgrade. The only thing that stinks about the sunroof is I have a black interior, and it gets really hot when parked in the sun. A sunshade is a must, if the car sits out in the sun.

In regards to the standard vs. HiFi, a lot of people dislike the HiFi. However, compared to the standard stereo that was on my loaner when I took my car in for service, there was a night and day difference (HiFi sounded better). By no means am I an audio snob, but my ears could notice a difference. Whether it's worth the extra $500 is debatable, and that's another story.

By the way there is a rumor that MINI will be switching to Harmon Kardon for the upgraded system, and it will be a $750 option. This is based on the link below.

Finally, not sure if you considering the Bluetooth, but I am happy with mine. Just make sure the mic is on the right side (which is on the left side in the US). There are threads on this as well.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...k-depends.html

Old 09-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Kimbo80
4th Gear
Originally Posted by KdF
I really didn't want the sunroof, and without it tinted in texas it kinda suxors. But I have adapted with tint / zippie shades and learnin that if I crack it when I park at work, the heat inside the car is bearable when I get off and it's over 100 deg. The other day, we drove thru downtown after eating out and happened to look up, never had seen something like that before, kinda kewl. The other thought on your question is I would have only wanted the HD radio, as Great sound quality in Auto's means nothing to a old Hippie type with hearing loss. The new HD stations are great , but not for $1300 from MINI or even the purchase of one from Mini. Rather i got the $50 JVC adapter and plugged that into the aux port. Ta-da...HD radio.
I would be very interested in this JVC adapter, because I loved the HD Radio on my old Accord. Can you tell us where you bought it, and which model?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:17 PM
mostyn
Neutral
I was talking to a rep from MINI USA and he said that they knew that the HI FI upgrade was not up to par and that they are looking at going back to the H&K system for 2010..I wish they would upgrade the one I bought for an extra $500. OK at best. My wife has an Element that sounds way better and the radio was stock.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:49 PM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
we have the upgraded stereo/nav package and the sunroof

Stereo is ok, we tinted the windows and the sunroof. it's in the 100's here all summer and before the tinting the AC just did not cut it. post tinting [Polarized ceramic film(baked on)] hot days just are not an issue

The S rocks

Old 09-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Alphawave
Do the 'roof...opens up the interior bigtime, no cluastrophobia here! I did the HiFi, and it's great for me (I consider myself an audiophile, but not a golden-ear by any means). As you listen to live performance, you begin to appreciate a moderate bass, which is what this system delivers (not the H/K in the 2010, I cannot speak about it never having heard it). If you prefer heavy bass music, loud music, or want to rattle windows, you aren't really 'listening' to music, and you'll find the HiFi wanting. If you enjoy moderate but present bass that complements the vocal mids without also overwhelming the sibilant and bright highs, the HiFi system performs just fine, and is worth the upgrade. IOW, Rammstein WILL sound like crap, while The Eagles will be right beside you, taking you to the limit one more time. When i want a true 'HiFi' experience in Pelle, I break the law, and use my Ety 4RP's with my Archos Jukebox (preset-insane mp3's), fed through a Xin SuperMini headphone amp with crossover...will always beat an installed audio system.

Last edited by Alphawave; 09-09-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:44 AM
KdF
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Kimbo80
I would be very interested in this JVC adapter, because I loved the HD Radio on my old Accord. Can you tell us where you bought it, and which model?
JVC KT-HDP1
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_5ohthpw1hj_b

Thats what I got. The first one was $250, now they are dirt cheap, go figure.

Last edited by KdF; 09-09-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:28 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
I have had no issues with my sunroof. I normally use it in the ventilate open position (not fully open) but have not had any issues opening it fully. Right now, I have about 6600 miles.

I have black interior and since the sunroof is not that tinted and no cover to fully hide the sun, it can get hot in the car when parked or while driving during the daytime. However, there are some that have installed their own tint on just the sunroof and so I went same route. The local auto store sells various sunroof tint products. I picked up a tint that allows only 5% light through it for $20. There was enough material to apply it to both sunroofs and I was able to install it without too much trouble. It came out great and cuts down quite a bit on the heat. Also, you can see out of the 5% tint more than you would think.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:28 AM
Cubist
Neutral
I'm so glad to have had so many responses. Thanks to everyone who replied and to those who are going to.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:45 AM
shadyyu
2nd Gear
I have both in my Clubby S. I also like the sunroof, and that's why I add the option in my S. But one thing I dislike is the sunroof doesn't have a real sunshade to block out the sun completely. Then again, I think that's why our Clubby stand out from the rest. Over all, I still like it!

As for the HiFi, it all depends on how you like your the music sound when you are driving. Before I got my S, I have done some research on the after market units and speakers. This is my 2 cents. If you really picky on the quality of the sound, $500 is just never enough to get an good unit, amp, sub, and speakers (not counting the labor and other accessaries you might add to it). If this is the case, I will suggest you save the $500 on HiFi and go directly to after market system.

So far I can live with the quality of the HiFi system and can't afford the after market part YET. To me, the HiFi system is not one of the best system in the all the cars I have driven. It doesn't have a good bass or trble. The only good thing is it has 10 speakers.

But my plan is to wait for a couple of years before I change the sound system in my car. After all, it's all about personal preference and taste!

Old 09-09-2009, 11:44 AM
37hotrod
1st Gear
Just remember, stereos can be added/upgraded later. The sunroof is a one time decision. Rather difficult to add/delete later. I chose to go without the sunroof, because previous cars with sunroofs showed me that I don't ever really open them anyway.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:37 PM
jgohlke
3rd Gear
I have a 2009 Clubman with a sunroof, regular stereo. I live near Orlando, FL.

The stock sunroof is pretty unbearable for mid-day driving during the summer. The first couple of days I drove the car, I would break out in a sweat at stoplights (I'm 6' 1", about 210), even with the A/C on full blast. On the 3rd day, I had the windows tinted. That helped a lot. The window tinter has had some bad experiences tinting sunroofs and suggested that I put a shade in it instead. A few of his customers have had their tinted sunroof crack/shatter after sitting in the sun all day and then being hit by a sudden rain shower.

I put sunroof shades in the car, consequently, I don't open the sunroofs. I may get some use out of them during the cooler months (it's only about 2 months old), we'll see. I bought the car "off the lot", and the sunroof was the only option it had, I didn't really want. It's isn't terrible to live with, I may get some use out of it, but given the choice, I would have picked a car without one.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Cubist
Neutral
As much as I like the idea of having a sunroof, there just seems to be an awful lot of trade-offs, at least with the Clubman. I'm all for letting all that light into the car, but having the car be so hot on an sunny day that even the air conditioning can't keep up with it. There's lot's of sunny days in North Carolina.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:16 PM
brightwhite
3rd Gear
I don't have a Clubman, but on my hardtop S, I got the sunroof option and it is *amazing*. I've had a sunroof in every car I've ever owned and this is the BEST UPGRADE EVER. It opens the car up so much it feels like a convertible, there is so much sun and light in the car. We don't get super hot here, so the sunshade is more than enough protection.

plus, my kids love the fact that they get a sunroof too, but they're bummed that it doesn't open.

my dealer told me the hi-fi option wasn't worth it, so I skipped it, but may upgrade the speakers and add a line-level amp later.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:18 PM
ddminikc
2nd Gear
The sunroof is worth the money. We have two MINI's, both with the sunroof, and feel that it makes them more fun.

Our '05 has the Harman Kardan stereo and is fantastic. Our '09 Clubman has the HiFi and MINI should be ashamed to charge $500 for that piece of junk. As bad as the HiFi system is it is much better than the base unit. If you have the time to wait until the HK option is available again I would. If not skip the HiFi and spend the money on upgrading the stereo yourself.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:22 PM
dbhouston
4th Gear
I'm on my second Mini with a sunroof. It is not an option, but a requirement. And I live in Houston, which is a new definition of hot (no offense to the Carolinas). Love the light it lets in. I rarely drive with it open unless it is fall or winter and in the evening. However, the light it lets in is fantastic. True, I wish it had a solid shade, but that has been mentioned ad nauseum, but Mini keeps on doing it their way. As a bonus, when I park, I tilt up the roof so that heat vents out. My car is never scorching hot when I get in. As long as there is no rain in the forecast, it is a plan that has worked for me for years. Did the same thing with my other cars with a sunroof.

As to the upgraded stereo, I have it, and had it in my last one as well. Can't say that it is so great that I would insist on it. I understand you can do better with a speaker upgrade and save some money. It doesn't suck, but it's not as good as other cars I've driven.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:18 PM
bimmermeup
1st Gear
I live in Durham, NC and have had my car since early June...

My original build idea didn't have the sunroof but did have the HiFi. Here's how I came to that decision:

One of my friends has no HiFi the other has HiFi. Both have iPod interfaces. One with navigation one without. One has a sunroof the other does not. So was able to get informed comments about both options (and Navigation as well) and they let me plug my iPod in and check out some stuff from my library. To me, the HiFi was better than stock. Was it as good as the Bose system in my SLK? No. But still better than the stock Mini system. After reading all the comments about both versions here with upgrade options, I decided to get the HiFi so I had some decent sounds for the short term. And as time goes on, keep an eye out for some speaker upgrades later and plug them in should I need it. My philosophy is this: Anyone who has ever spent any time in studio recording and listening to playback on studio monitors is never gonna be happy with any system in an automotive environment. Listening tastes: I listen to music at moderate levels and prefer clarity with some emphasis on the mids.

Additional Note: During this same process, I decided on the nav system for an easier to use system for the bluetooth and ipod integration. My eyes aren't the best and the joystick just makes thing too convenient to operate.; Hell I only used the map twice this summer and I'm still happy with the choice. Pricewise, going for the Nav meant giving up the Leather, but the cloth has worked out nicely even without lumbar support.

I originally decided on no sunroof because my friend with the sunroof complained about the heat effects and convinced me I didn't need it.

How I ended up with a sunroof:
When I built the car, I found out that Nav requires automatic A/C. This along with some other options meant I could get the sunroof at a discount. I was still not convinced. What ended up convicing me was my two and a half years olds joy at looking out the sunroof..

How I live with it in the Durham, NC heat:
At first I thought I really blew it. The car gets pretty hot when parked in the sunlight.

One step to make things nicer was to pop the sunroof into vent mode when parking. Car is definitely cooler when sitting for a while in the sun when the sunroofs are on vent.

In times I can't leave the top popped to vent, I use the remote to roll down all the windows and vent the car as I am walking up. For most of the summer, this was a workable solution.

So in short: I gave up leather seating and snazzy rims to get Nav, HiFi and a Sunroof. I can always recover the seats down the road an ask for some nice rims and tires from Santa.

Would I order sunroofs again? Yes
Would I order HiFi again? Yes
Would I order Nav again? Heck Yes

Are all of our tastes different? Absolutely! That is why we drive MINIs!

Hopefully, you are happy with your final choice as I am mine. Happy Motoring...

Quick Reply: R55 Advice About Sunroof And The HiFi Upgrade