R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Contemplating hard!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 02:49 PM
geoffv
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by b13mini
Geoffv, I too live in Whitinsville so if I get the MCC, you'll have to give me the winter tire scoop . What tires did you get on the car from dealer, and any opinions on the dealer you went to, there are only two options for MA and RI. And you know what it's like driving around here, so thanks for posting! I will need to get up Prospect Street in the winter!!.
Now hold on there, I'm not so sure about having another clubman in Whitinsville, I want to be the only cool Clubby in town

I've been up prospect street several times this past winter, it made it up fine. I have to turn up Benson from a dead stop out of my neighborhood and I get enough traction on the snow.
I have Toyo winters I got at Town Fair, they will match on line prices. They are non run flats. I'm replacing my all season run flats this spring. Looks like I can only get 20k out of them

I got mine at the RI Inskip dealer, their service is spectacular. They will pick your car up at home or work, bring it back or leave you a loaner.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:52 PM
b13mini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
geoffv

Now hold on there, I'm not so sure about having another clubman in Whitinsville, I want to be the only cool Clubby in town
You can have the cool guy one, I'll have the cool girl one. Sounds good to me, and thanks for the advice! I know I have seen your car once, over by WCC at the light, but that was over a year ago. I remember being excited to see the chocolate one since I never do. I see a blue Clubman at work, a client has one, so I ran outside and she showed me her car. I do see one other PW Clubman parked in Providence when I take night classes. Only other MINI's I see around are the Coopers.

INSKIP is where I sat in one but had to test drive the regular MC because they had no available manual MCC's to drive, only automatics, and I told them not interested. But they seemed very nice. Looking forward to going back!

Last edited by b13mini; 09-27-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:50 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gokaht
That said, I work for MINI/BMW, and I've seriously considered a WRX wagon to get an extra set of doors, a little (lot) more storage room over my MINI, and the beauty of all wheel drive. But, the build quality is far inferior to any MINI out there - the sound insulating/deadening is non-existent, every body panel feels flimsy and thin, the interior quality is terrible. Aside from the styling (albeit boy racer a bit) the rest of the car is just poor.!
Have you checked out the 2009? No true wagon available anymore, but the hatch is still pretty functional space-wise, definitely compared to the Clubman. I have driven a 2003 extensively and test drove a 2009 and they are really different cars, with the 2009 beeing clearly better on all fronts, including fit and finish. There was a major step-change in Subaru "build quality" around 2005-6 with the new models of the Legacy and Impreza. We have a 2006 Outback and I would say it is a notch above the R55-56 on the build quality front.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:23 PM
rmse46
1st Gear
Central MA

Hi to you Central MA people,
I am in Westborough and look forward to seeing your Clubman's.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:34 AM
b13mini
4th Gear
rmse46

Hello to you as well! I too am looking forward to seeing my Clubman motoring around. Guess I need to order it lol.

b

Old 09-30-2009, 04:39 AM
b13mini
4th Gear
geoffv

I think you need to give me a head's up that you're driving once in a while so I can have the satisfaction of seeing a Clubman.
Though did see two on 146 yesterday, I was headed south to Prov and they were going north in lincoln. A Silver with black and a PW/PW/B. Craned my head so fast to see em then they were gone

b

Old 09-30-2009, 05:26 AM
geoffv
3rd Gear
I commute on my motorcyle when it's nice out for now (Red Triumph sport bike). I'm ususally on the 146S around 8:10 or and get off on RT104.

I'd planned on leaving today in the Clubman but my wife stole it from me today

Old 09-30-2009, 05:29 AM
b13mini
4th Gear
Geoffv

Smart girl!

Old 09-30-2009, 05:50 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
I had DSC on my 2007 MCSm, and have DTC on my 2009 MCCm. I believe DSC is incorporated into DTC. Personally, I find the DTC works so great I have turned it off only a couple of times, when stuck, so I could rock the car out of the rut.

I don't have experience with deep snow, but I know that 4WD and AWD vehicles are fishtailing on slick roads when my MINI is straight-ahead and steady.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Project Mangler
3rd Gear
We have a Clubman and an Element, and if I could only keep one, it would be the Element You just can't beat it for carrying lots of stuff, and it's not afraid of snow. But we've only had the clubbie for two weeks, so we'll see how it does this winter. With the seats down it does carry some cargo, but nothing like the Element.

If I were you I'd hold out for the Crossman and see how you like it. You can always get a WRX next summer, but if you get one now you might be kicking yourself when you see the Crossman.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Kimbo80
4th Gear
To the original poster, I would axe the 2011 Crossman from consideration. You will be looking at $29,000 starting for a heavier, fwd car. Add up options such as AWD, auto trans, cold weather, premium package,etc and that will head into the mid to upper 30k territory.

Also, if you can find a 2009 Clubman on the lot, the dealers are more willing to discount. If you order a 2010, you will most likely have to pay sticker. Also, 2009's have 1.9% APR Financing for up to 60 months, which is a great rate.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:32 PM
b13mini
4th Gear
Thank you all for the advice...decided on MCC! Went with gut feeling (and much comaprison/contrast) and the car that makes my heart grow two sizes

Old 10-23-2009, 06:06 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
gokaht, if you are out there, I'm going to bring this up because it seemed you were so sure of the name of the new MINI crossover being name "Crossman" when I referred to it as the "Countryman" as per motoringfile.com's information. Here is the link from this morning.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2009/10/...revised-debut/

Old 10-23-2009, 05:16 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you drive the 09 WRX?

Old 10-23-2009, 06:41 PM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
gokaht, if you are out there, I'm going to bring this up because it seemed you were so sure of the name of the new MINI crossover being name "Crossman" when I referred to it as the "Countryman" as per motoringfile.com's information. Here is the link from this morning.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2009/10/...revised-debut/

My bad - I work for MINI and I know less about them lol. I just hope we do a test drive event when they come out!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:15 PM
jointheclubman
2nd Gear
Go for PW/PW/S! It's a rare combo, but looks great!

Old 10-24-2009, 11:11 AM
b13mini
4th Gear
Decision made

Decision has finally been made and all specs in dealer hands just waiting for the go to order. Thinking I will go for a Halloween order date

Ordering MCC Dark Silver/Silver/Silver with Punch Carbon black, white turn signals, premium/sports/cold packages, bluetooth, anthracite headliner, brushed alloy interior, 16" Bridge spoke, roof rack (so I can take it off) black rubber mats, bumper protection and chrome driving lamps with the Black Jack side scuttle

There finally! Now just have to wait it out

Thank you one and all for all your input and help!!

Old 10-24-2009, 01:18 PM
jointheclubman
2nd Gear
Congrats on your choice of Dark Silver! I would highly recommend a matching roof, but it's completely your choice.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:15 PM
CallmeD
1st Gear
Well, I did it!

I put a deposit on a new 2010 MCCSa, Pepper white with black roof, premium package, cold weather package, bluetooth/ipod adapter, piano black interior. I am also having Blizzaks set on a set of rims to be installed on the car before I pick it up (thanks, Alex from Tirerack), so I should be all set for the winter.

I am so excited about this car ... it's insane. Every time I see a MINI on the highway or streets, I get this warm little rush of happiness run through me. What is it about this car???

This morning while walking through a cut through between buildings on the way to work, there sat directly in front of me a Chili Red MINI Cooper w/black top, shiny as can be ... ahhhhhhhhh - what a nice way to start the day!

I should be picking it up in about 10 days, and I cannot wait!!!

Old 10-24-2009, 03:30 PM
b13mini
4th Gear
jointheclubman,

You just made me panic, good thing I have time to mull over since a pending order. I like the look of the body colored roof, but something about the "pop" of silver that I like. I have always liked the two tone minis, and since currently own an all black car, i am shying away from any black. Plus since a reg ole clubman there will be more chrome on the grill which I think will tie it together nicely! But ya made me go look up a bunch of pictures with anxiety! lol

Old 10-24-2009, 03:54 PM
CallmeD
1st Gear
I did the same thing. Every time I'd read a new post about color combos, options or saw pictures of others, I'd rethink things all over again. Let's face it - they're all awesome! At some point you just have to say - yeah, I like this and I'm getting it. Any way you look at it, you'll love your new baby.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Dookiepower
2nd Gear
Decision has finally been made and all specs in dealer hands just waiting for the go to order. Thinking I will go for a Halloween order date

Ordering MCC Dark Silver/Silver/Silver with Punch Carbon black, white turn signals, premium/sports/cold packages, bluetooth, anthracite headliner, brushed alloy interior, 16" Bridge spoke, roof rack (so I can take it off) black rubber mats, bumper protection and chrome driving lamps with the Black Jack side scuttle

There finally! Now just have to wait it out

Thank you one and all for all your input and help!!
congrats on your order man! I noticed you got the brushed alloy, I have that on my BRG and love it, haven't seen it on too many clubbies! Now time for the wait!
Happy motoring!
-Jon

Old 10-24-2009, 11:31 PM
jointheclubman
2nd Gear
jointheclubman,

You just made me panic, good thing I have time to mull over since a pending order. I like the look of the body colored roof, but something about the "pop" of silver that I like. I have always liked the two tone minis, and since currently own an all black car, i am shying away from any black. Plus since a reg ole clubman there will be more chrome on the grill which I think will tie it together nicely! But ya made me go look up a bunch of pictures with anxiety! lol
I apologize for making you panic! :( But yes, no worries because the choice is completely yours Glad to hear that it works for you!

I could have posted some pictures that I have saved from other users to help you. I won't now, since you've made the decision, but if would like, I could...

Old 10-25-2009, 05:58 AM
b13mini
4th Gear
Pictures

Originally Posted by jointheclubman
I apologize for making you panic! :( But yes, no worries because the choice is completely yours Glad to hear that it works for you!

I could have posted some pictures that I have saved from other users to help you. I won't now, since you've made the decision, but if would like, I could...
Oooooo now you're really getting me, I will always take some pics to look at if you have them! I'm a visual/tactile person, why I've been to the dealer three times to look at options and colors, trawling the lot to find them.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:42 PM
jointheclubman
2nd Gear
Oooooo now you're really getting me, I will always take some pics to look at if you have them! I'm a visual/tactile person, why I've been to the dealer three times to look at options and colors, trawling the lot to find them.
Alright, I've sent you a PM. Enjoy!