R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Contemplating hard!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 04:34 PM
b13mini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Contemplating hard!

Hello all!

New to the board and need advice. Currently driving an 04 Honda Element AWD. Live in the snowbelt of Worcester Co in Massachusetts. Live on a steep hill and do winter driving to/from Providence at night a few times a week. I LOVE the Clubman. Looking to get a Clubman (justaclubman?), but worried about all the space I will lose and the winter driving. I work at an animal hospital (open in the snow) and am often driving on unplowed deep snow covered roads. I can always make it home with AWD.

The space is the other issue, I have dogs (lab, shepherd and a beagle) so not sure how they would travel in the car, for sure not all together. Any big dog owners out there? And if so what interior would you suggest? I know I would sacrifice all the space from the Element, but starting not to care.

Have started to consider the Honda CR-V with leather due to AWD and space, an upgrade from the Element. But the gas mileage about the same @ 21-22 combined. Looked at Honda Insight (hybrid) but 6-ft hubby head was hitting ceiling in back seat, so that was out. And in driving around I notice 5 million CR-Vs and they just don't make my heart skip that beat.

Thought of the Crossman that may be coming out, but may not be the MINI feel and gas mileage. And no idea when it's coming.

And finally, do I wait for the 2010's and order what I want if I go MINI or get a deal on an 09 (great financing)? Love the Pepper white with Pepper white roof and mirrors, all in stock was black roof and black mirrors. Then reading on tires... all season or run flats? With a winter change?

Any and all help/advice would be appreciated!

Old 09-24-2009, 04:50 PM
b13mini
4th Gear
Oh yeah, one more Q ... manual or automatic?

Old 09-24-2009, 05:26 PM
dkamp
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Snow ?

On my 08 Justaclubman I only drove on snow two times.
Anything over about 5 inches and your Pushing Snow (ouch was really scarred to break the air dam below the front end).
It did go thru good but I don't think it would go thru "Wet" unplowed snow more than 8 inches. Or at least very long. With Factory tires it seems to stay on top of the snow and not bite in real good. An example for me was when I stopped in the middle of the road to wait on a neighbor to cross to get his his mail, I had a dificult time getting moving again. (This was unplowed no tracks, flat area with about 8 inches and the temp was about 35 degrees so the snow was wet and slick).
Not recomending just letting you know my experience.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:37 PM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well with the seat down I can fit a 98 pound Bouvier, a 60 pound Aussie, and a 28 pound Mini Aussie plus 2 day packs and a small ice chest

Old 09-24-2009, 06:04 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Living in Atlanta, I can't help at all with the MINI snow questions. I have a 6 speed manual S convertible. I sold my BMW 3 series convertible to buy the MCS convertible and the MINI is more fun than any car that I have ever owned.

The 6 speed manual is so well matched to the S engine's torque this car simply "squirts" when you hit the accelerator no matter what gear you are in. BMW did such a great job making this engine so lively and responsive even at low engine speeds.

The handling is just amazing and this thing is like a big go cart. I have had mine for almost 4 months and I still look for excuses to drive the MINI.

Good luck with your decision!!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:02 PM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
oh yeah snow....the Clubman did better on the road out of our place this winter 3"-6" snow over ice than my F350 4x4 with agressive snow tires did.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:10 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 09 Subaru WRX is a really nice ride and a steal at $25k. A huge improvement over the 08. 265hp, a real rear seat and a lot more rear storage than a Clubman. Check it out. You will like.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:53 AM
b13mini
4th Gear
BuzzCut1,

Thanks for the visual, i laughed when I saw it! That solves the dog issue. May I ask what you have for interior and is it dog durable? And did you put on snows or drive with factory in the snow?

Thanks to everyone for your input so far!

Old 09-25-2009, 06:12 AM
geoffv
3rd Gear
b13mini, I live in Whitinsville, so also on the snowbelt and commute on 146 to work. With snow tires on this car it is awesome in the snow. There is an older thread on this same topic. With all the snow we had last season I did a lot of snowoarding up north. I was in about 8 serious snow storms and the clubman did just fine. It is proably the best 2WD car I've driven in snow.
I'd get a stick espcially for snow driving. There are a lot of people that like the auto, but I just couldn't bring myself to getting a fun car like this in an auto. Shifting through the gears is just to much fun .

Old 09-25-2009, 06:40 AM
malteseracer
4th Gear
I love my MINI to death, but I think I'm gonna say look at the WRX. Similar price to a clubman, but 4wd with more room. It has a 5 speed though not a 6. I like the 6 speeds a lot.
Just something to think about

Old 09-25-2009, 07:18 AM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At least test drive the WRX.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:59 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
If you are in snow here and there, it may not be a problem. If you will be driving in snow regularly, I would wait for a Countryman. I bet you will be able to order one this time next year. I've had 4 CR-V's and I only got rid of each one for varying reasons, none of which were because of their reliability or performance. I was driving in snow last year with my Clubbie and the stock air dam, being relatively low, scrapes the slightest amount of snow. (I just uploaded an image of my Clubbie in the snow in my gallery.)

Last edited by ftttuhzbmcs; 09-25-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:33 AM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
If you are in snow here and there, it may not be a problem. If you will be driving in snow regularly, I would wait for a Countryman. I bet you will be able to order one this time next year. I've had 4 CR-V's and I only got rid of each one for varying reasons, none of which were because of their reliability or performance. I was driving in snow last year with my Clubbie and the stock air dam, being relatively low, scrapes the slightest amount of snow. (I just uploaded an image of my Clubbie in the snow in my gallery.)
It's a Crossman, not a Countryman And it should be available next summer as an '11 model year.

I have an 03 S manual, and I swap to a dedicated set of snow tires/wheels as soon as it starts getting real cold out. With these, the car is a ball - I've never gotten stuck, even in "snow plow" height snow, and I've climbed some pretty steep hills. Just turn your DSC off and have at it.

That said, I work for MINI/BMW, and I've seriously considered a WRX wagon to get an extra set of doors, a little (lot) more storage room over my MINI, and the beauty of all wheel drive. But, the build quality is far inferior to any MINI out there - the sound insulating/deadening is non-existent, every body panel feels flimsy and thin, the interior quality is terrible. Aside from the styling (albeit boy racer a bit) the rest of the car is just poor. I love the drivetrain and mechanicals, but I wanted more quality when inside the vehicle - that is where I spend most of my time Germans have it, Japanese still haven't really nailed it.

Get a Clubman, get a dedicated set of snow tires, and have a blast. Get a manual too - these cars are way more fun with them. And forget the 09's - there aren't ANY left. We're 8 weeks out on orders for 10's right now - get in asap!

Old 09-25-2009, 09:45 AM
jvandewark
1st Gear
Originally Posted by b13mini
Looked at Honda Insight (hybrid) but 6-ft hubby head was hitting ceiling in back seat, so that was out.
Why do you make your hubby ride in the back seat???

Old 09-25-2009, 03:32 PM
b13mini
4th Gear
BAckseat

Geoffv, I too live in Whitinsville so if I get the MCC, you'll have to give me the winter tire scoop . What tires did you get on the car from dealer, and any opinions on the dealer you went to, there are only two options for MA and RI. And you know what it's like driving around here, so thanks for posting! I will need to get up Prospect Street in the winter!!.

Thanks for all the Subaru suggestions, I know they are fabulous NE cars, I just can't get into them, not sure why. I looked at the whole line a few weeks back. My friend has a Forrester that she loves and gets her everywhere and I enjoy, but then I would feel like I was driving her car.

Please keep the opinions/comments coming, they are very helpful and wil help me choose the right car, and if it is a MCC, the right accessories!

JVandewark, my hubby got in the back seat to check space and fit, especially since my son is 6'1". So when he didn't fit, we knew not the right car.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:34 PM
b13mini
4th Gear
Gokhat

Do you work in the Boston dealership that sells minis?

Old 09-25-2009, 04:31 PM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
packages : heated leather seats are a must, Nav system is great due to the smart phone and ipod interfaces that come with it. ****Factory installed roof rails with aftermarket cross bars and mounts(Thule)>>best most solid way to hold bikes, skis and cargo boxes<<***

better shot of the dogs

Old 09-26-2009, 04:47 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There is a thread about dogs in Clubmans, and the custom liners that allow a classy protection, in various patterns. I thought I could find it right away... maybe I'll post it after another cup of coffee :-)
As for winter, I do well here in Michigan's snow belt with 4 good snow tires. They are essential if you try to make the Clubman work. However, one day with about 12 powder inches, I was pushing it along, and would have been stopped had I not reached the plowed street.
If it's animal life&death, then perhaps wait for the Crossman to come out.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:35 AM
b13mini
4th Gear
few particulars

Ok,

I know I will live and the dogs will fit....

A few more particular Q's if no one minds..

The difference between dynamic stability control and dynamic traction control and is one better than the other if snow driving? I hear people say turn one, not sure which, off for hills in snow.

Bluetooth adapter vs comfort bluetooth adapter?

Tires 15" or 16" with which tire type? Does the 16" not come without runflats? . Would get snow tires as well..

I really appreciate everyone's help and input... the options oare mind numbing!

Old 09-26-2009, 07:33 AM
CallmeD
1st Gear
B13Mini -

I am in the same boat you are, so I am following your questions (and answers) with much interest.

The question of dynamic stability control vs. dynamic traction control was a question I had also. Could someone explain the difference and suggest the best for snow driving.

I am north of Boston, but also drive to NH frequently, so the snow driving is the determining factor in buying for me. Thanks!

D

Old 09-26-2009, 07:48 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Gokaht, sorry about calling it the Countryman. Motoringfile.com last posted that BMW was rumored to have picked the name over Crossman. Which ever one, they both fit the bill.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:04 AM
b13mini
4th Gear
CallmeD

Glad I could help, lol

Old 09-26-2009, 10:31 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Use 16" tires for summer, or 17, if you prefer, then get 15" wheels dedicated to snow tires for the best traction. More rubber = more traction. Bes ure to check threads on snow tires, some are better than others. I like the Hakkapaleettas. (Who can spell Finnish without going out to look at them...)
Run Flats don't like to come on-and-off rims, so if you have to get them, just wear them out and get your winter rims as a separate deal. It works well for me anyway. I bought 17" summer rims, and use my 16's for the snows, but I believe that 15's would be even better.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:36 AM
b13mini
4th Gear
Thanks

Thanks for the info on the dogs, I found the thread and the link to liners. And thanks to everyone for your help!

Old 09-27-2009, 02:23 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
b13mini, here is a video link of the new MINI (Countryman/Crossman) crossover. Also, another link for an artists rendering of what may be under that camo. I would love to have a 4 door MINI but finances probably won't allow it. Remember, one more year....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eWNOLS4KOw

http://www.motoringfile.com/2009/08/...he-real-thing/

http://www.motoringfile.com/2009/08/...ormance-model/

Quick Reply: R55 Contemplating hard!