R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman, Clubman S or Volvo C30 as a fun second family car

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:40 PM
ggonzale
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried the C30 before I bought my clubman, nice car but not as fun as the mini. The one I tried was automatic and not as responsive as the copper S automatic I tested back in November (I did not tested the non-S, I made up my mind a long time ago about paying the extra for the turbo).

I haven't had a problem with my clubman S, except not having enough time to drive it!

Old 03-03-2010, 11:42 PM
jointheclubman
2nd Gear
Can't go wrong with the T5 engine for the Volvo!!

Old 05-08-2010, 03:34 PM
OldLoad
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How tall are you and any other drivers? Am 6'4" and test-drove the Volvo (RHD in the UK); it had a center console panel that killed my inboard leg, even on a short drive. The Clubman has all kinds of legroom

Old 05-09-2010, 02:04 AM
Sportspack Mark
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im 6ft something :p drove the 1.6 diesel drive model that was launched a while ago, apart from the fact it seemed quite nippy i did find that i rested my leg on the centre console. It was only a short drive so it didnt really bother me.

I find with the clubby I rest me right knee on the upper speaker on the door! haha

Old 05-09-2010, 02:21 AM
mellanor
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple of thoughts, only one of which is truly unique amongst the responses in this thread.

1. You really need to test the S version of the Clubbie. With an S version, and with the sport button depressed, I think two of your concerns will vaporize.

2. You can make the interior of the Clubbie much quieter just by removing the factory-installed noisemaker. Yes, noisemaker. Of course, it won't sound much like a sports car anymore, but it won't affect power or handling at all. The noisemaker delete is a really simple modification.

In the end, get the car you feel most connected with - but make sure you take them all for real test drives. Around the dealerships block just won't do, unless they live on a hilly, twisty block that is part highway...

Old 05-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Will in Milwaukee
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mellanor
2. You can make the interior of the Clubbie much quieter just by removing the factory-installed noisemaker. Yes, noisemaker. Of course, it won't sound much like a sports car anymore, but it won't affect power or handling at all. The noisemaker delete is a really simple modification.
I have no clue to what you are referring. Care to explain?

Old 05-09-2010, 01:24 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Noisemaker Delete...

This is what he is referring to...

http://defendersofspeed.com/store/pr...p?id_product=7

Old 05-10-2010, 09:24 AM
mellanor
2nd Gear
Here is a little more information on the noisemaker:

1. Blow up showing the noisemaker and associated tubing: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...& hg=13&fg=20. The Noisemaker is #13 on this diagram (referred to as "sound generator"). If you remove it, you should take #10 - #17 off and plug the hole in #8. Really quite easy - but you may skin your knuckles a bit getting in there. Defenders of speed sells an inexpensive delete kit, so do other vendors.

2. What is the noisemaker? Try this thread to learn what it looks like inside and out, and why BMW/MINI installed it in the first place:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-revealed.html

Take-home message: The noisemaker is not an essential part of the drivetrain, exhaust system, or any other component of the car and can be deleted without any adverse effects (it MIGHT give you a tiny bit more boost response for the turbo).

Old 05-11-2010, 11:46 PM
j1huynh
1st Gear
Is this loud noise only on the clubman S or on the clubman also?

Also, for noisemaker delete, someone suggested to use a $1 PVC cap. Does it work or do you have to buy a $310 kit?

Old 05-12-2010, 10:15 AM
mellanor
2nd Gear
Having researched RealOEM diagrams on this, it appears to only be part of the Cooper S/JCW engine architecture.

I suppose the Home Depot PVC fix would work fine - others have done this for sure. The noisemaker delete from DoS is only $30, not $300. http://defendersofspeed.com/store/pr...?id_product=13.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Headlands
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ron-s mini
As far as Mini problems, forums like this attract people with problems. I would bet the vast majority of Mini owners have never heard of NAM.
Reliability-wise, MINI is average at best in all of the major publications (Consumer Reports, J.D. Power, etc.).

That is a simple fact -- no need to argue it.

I'm not sure how reliable Volvos are, but it IS something to be concerned with as a possibility if you buy a MINI. Just know that it'll be about 50/50 whether or not you will have problems. Again, no reason for anyone to argue this.

I've never driven the C30, but my MINI Clubman S is a blast to drive, gets amazing mileage, is quite fast, and has a decent amount of room. Reliability-wise and quality-wise I am NOT happy with it so far (have had a lot of problems and the quality of some things is not high), but we'll see how it fares as time marches on.

Last edited by Headlands; 05-12-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:12 PM
mellanor
2nd Gear
I find it interesting that JD Power bases their dependability score largely on the past three years of ownership, and when you look at which year they begin with it's 2004/2005. Sorry, but that's a Gen1 Cooper - and we all know that Gen1 had a huge range of issues (many more than Gen2). I'm not saying a Gen2 will jump to the top of the ratings, but you need to do a bit more than simply look at the numbers.

And, yes, I'm arguing it. Besides, you are the one posting that you are NOT happy with yours (so you are hardly unbiased). I, on the other hand, have had ZERO problems with mine and my truly unbiased () opinion would give it a 10.

Here is what CR said in it's report:"To determine the best car values, we looked at our overall road-test scores, five-year owner-cost estimates, and predicted reliability ratings for each of the more than 300 vehicles we've recently tested. We divided each vehicle's five-year owner cost by its overall road-test score to get the cost of each test-score point, or what we call "bucks per bang." The lower the cost, the better.
A little math heavy for our non-math skilled tastes, but very nice. Let's look at the results. The MINI Cooper finished second on this list (with a bucks per bang score of $330) behind the Prius Touring model (bucks per bang score of $325)."

I'm not blind to some of the problems that have cropped up with MINI's, but it's hardly as bad as you paint it out to be. And yes, I've read many of your previous posts as well.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Headlands
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mellanor
I find it interesting that JD Power bases their dependability score largely on the past three years of ownership, and when you look at which year they begin with it's 2004/2005. Sorry, but that's a Gen1 Cooper - and we all know that Gen1 had a huge range of issues (many more than Gen2). I'm not saying a Gen2 will jump to the top of the ratings, but you need to do a bit more than simply look at the numbers.

And, yes, I'm arguing it. Besides, you are the one posting that you are NOT happy with yours (so you are hardly unbiased). I, on the other hand, have had ZERO problems with mine and my truly unbiased () opinion would give it a 10.

Here is what CR said in it's report:"To determine the best car values, we looked at our overall road-test scores, five-year owner-cost estimates, and predicted reliability ratings for each of the more than 300 vehicles we've recently tested. We divided each vehicle's five-year owner cost by its overall road-test score to get the cost of each test-score point, or what we call "bucks per bang." The lower the cost, the better.
A little math heavy for our non-math skilled tastes, but very nice. Let's look at the results. The MINI Cooper finished second on this list (with a bucks per bang score of $330) behind the Prius Touring model (bucks per bang score of $325)."

I'm not blind to some of the problems that have cropped up with MINI's, but it's hardly as bad as you paint it out to be. And yes, I've read many of your previous posts as well.

EDIT: I maintain my position based on my and the people I've known/met who have MINIs (Gen 1 & 2) experience, but I know that these discussions go nowhere here, understandably. Like I've said many time: some have no problems, which is great, and I'm not telling anyone otherwise. Gen 1 might have been worse (though ironically everyone I personally know who has one has zero problems - ha!), but Gen 2s are still average. JD Power specifically lists the 2008 model as the most recent model for which ratings are available.

I paint MINIs to have average reliability along with some basic quality problems (which would explain MINI being last in initial quality ratings from JD Power, 2009). There are plenty of other sources that I culled this info from. I would never be as stupid as to say that they're horrific machines that will 100% not be reliable; average is average. I looked at many reliability reports from the past 5 years or so when I researched buying this car. I took a chance and in the first 5 months haven't fared as well as some others have. The head mechanic at my dealer admitted point blank when I asked him after my 5th or 6th visit that these are not the most reliable cars in some ways (yes, he's refreshingly honest about it, though that's not what I wanted to hear!).

As far as CR, I'm ONLY referring to reliability, not the overall rating. As we all know, the other parts of the car are mostly fantastic!

I like my car. I can still be honest about its problems as a car and as a company. And, as you noted, bias goes both ways!

Last edited by Headlands; 05-12-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:34 AM
zsqure
3rd Gear
I used to subscribe to consumer reports and now think they are not worth reading. C30 vs Mini. If you are set on an auto, you need to drive an s auto, period. It doesn't come close to the 2.0t found in vw audi products (many european engine design awards) for zippy-ness but it was pretty good. I opted for a manual trans to limit the number of drivers. Myself, my wife and my son (who will be 16 next Feb.) can all drive sitick. I am on my second mini and will have a third in a few years. It can be optioned out to be a comfortable riding car for commuting, while still being zippy for daily stealth stuff. Yes I AM BIASED.