R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman, Clubman S or Volvo C30 as a fun second family car

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009 | 01:15 PM
macct
|
2nd Gear
Clubman, Clubman S or Volvo C30 as a fun second family car

I am considering a Clubman, or Clubman S, as well as the Volvo C30, as a fun compliment to the family vehicle. The intent is to have something small, fun and a bit out of the ordinary. The vehicle has to comfortably fit a growing 10 year old in back and be an automatic (to accommodate more than 1 driver). At this point, I have driven the non-turbo Clubman and the Volvo C30. An automatic S was not available for a test drive.

At this point, the Clubman has more emotional appeal, albeit I think the Volvo C30 is probably an easier car to live with.

Clubman AT (non-Turbo)
*great styling
*peppy around town, but not great for highway passing.
*loud interior, you really hear the engine, more so than other sport/sportier car I owned. I assume it's part of the charm. Do you get use to it?
*Fun, nice handling and ride dynamics. It never really seems harsh
*I think it leaves me wanting more (especially after driving the Volvo), albeit the posts regarding the reliability of the S are scary (cold clatter, carbon buildup, etc). The Mini seem to lag my experience with BMW.

Volvo C30
*looks great, especially with the soon to be released updates (more aggressive looking front-end)
*nice motor/power, seems more refined than the non-turbo mini
*while power is abundant, the handling & driving experience is just okay. Handling is good, but not fun. Similarly, it doesn't seem to have the same driving dynamics as the Mini and the ride is not as well sorted.
*IMO, more of a cruiser than a fun car

As I read through my own post, I really find the Clubman more appealing even if it is a bit loud and less reliable than the Volvo. I just not sure about the less power aspect. Did you have concerns with the reliability of the S, and still go with that model? Did you opt for the non-turbo even though your preference was for more power?

Old 10-03-2009 | 01:35 PM
Stig One
Banned
I saw a new c30 for 19650 after rebate.

Old 10-03-2009 | 02:03 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
This is an "apples or oranges" choice to me. The mini is hip - cool & quirky while the volvo is more refined - solid - conventional.

As far as Mini problems, forums like this attract people with problems. I would bet the vast majority of Mini owners have never heard of NAM.

Old 10-03-2009 | 03:07 PM
proximal
4th Gear
I considered (and test drove like 5 times) the C30 when I was car shopping. It looks very cool, but from a driving dynamics standpoint it's really nothing special. Even though it has more power, it is also heavier. That extra ~400 pounds means it doesn't feel any faster than a Clubman S in a straight line, and it is definitely behind in handling. You're right though in that the C30 is a cool cruiser and the more comfortable car. It really depends on what you are looking for in your car.

Old 10-03-2009 | 03:50 PM
Figfuggo
2nd Gear
Clubman for sure! Fun, practical, fun, economical, and most importantly, it's fun!

Old 10-03-2009 | 06:52 PM
jtc
2nd Gear
The big problem I have with C30s is that, when I see them, I immediately think of Robert Pattinson in Twilight. Totally kills the car for me.

Twilight aside, it's kind of tough to compare the two cars. They're fairly different from each other. You just have to decide whether you want a really fun car or a sturdy, comfortable car. That's not to say that the Mini is uncomfortable or less reliable, but the Volvo definitely has it beat.

Old 10-03-2009 | 08:51 PM
tazio
6th Gear
There is an R version of the C30 coming out this year with tuned suspension and quicker steering ratio. If they do it right, it could be great driver's car.

Old 10-03-2009 | 09:08 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Consumer Reports now recommends MINI as the later models have posted big gains in reliability. I do not fear the S at all and it is a blast to drive. Engine mods were made to the '09 models to address the cold start clatter and older cars can have the mod made under warranty.

The S engine has amazing power from just above idle all the way to redline and it pulls like a freight train. I look forward to driving my MINI everyday. It is true that message boards are generally heavily weighted to those that have problems when only a tiny percentage of the cars may have that problem. t is impossible to know if the incident rate is 1 in 10 or 1 in 100,000 vehicles. Check out message boards of even Honda and you can get spooked.

Old 10-03-2009 | 09:55 PM
Gordo5
Neutral
I drove the C30 before buying my '09 Clubman S and here are my thoughts:

1) C30 very heavy car and MPG was horrible for such a small car.
2) C30 had useless rear/cargo room even with seats down due to the small odd shaped opening for the trunk.

I went with the mini last week. I am waiting for the call to pick her up!! Plus have you ever met a Volvo owner? Wow they are boring.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-03-2009 | 10:08 PM
RadioFlyer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Gordo5
I drove the C30 before buying my '09 Clubman S and here are my thoughts:

1) C30 very heavy car and MPG was horrible for such a small car.
2) C30 had useless rear/cargo room even with seats down due to the small odd shaped opening for the trunk.

I went with the mini last week. I am waiting for the call to pick her up!! Plus have you ever met a Volvo owner? Wow they are boring.

Hope this helps.
Wow, as someone who has owned a Volvo i take offense to that statement.

Old 10-03-2009 | 10:34 PM
Nor_Cal_Mini
2nd Gear
C30 is a cool car. I have owned a couple of Volvo's and driven a C30 on several occasions. I love the looks of the 2.0 C30 but they are harder to find then a 1.0. Hard to find in manual as well. No true iPod connectivity whch is a big deal for me...lastly...the C30 us SUPER quiet. Too quiet for me. Did not give me a sports car feel at all. As mentioned, I drove one as a loaner (2.0, 6 speed) while our V50 was in for some service...could barely hear the engine. The lack of feedback was dissapointing. I still love the looks of them when I see them on the road...

Old 10-04-2009 | 05:20 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
I purchased my Clubman S early Spring '09. I had narrowed my search down to the Volvo C30 and the Clubman S, both auto w/shifting. I test drove each twice. It came down to many of the things you already listed as pro/con. I have a Honda Odyssey for moving loads and people. I was going to retire my '98 Prelude which I drove alone 90% of the time, mostly commuting 25 miles to work usually mostly highway driving. So, I wanted a similar small, zippy car that can get accelerate getting onto the highway.

The C30 has the most comfortable seats for driving long distances. The stats indicate it will get you from point A to B quicker than a Clubman S but not by much. The '09 C30 Model front end looked just like any other Volvo, it's the back end that was mostly modified in t's looks. My thought is that while Volvo's have not necessarily had a stellar repair record, their engines seem to hold up and my thought is the C30 engine probably would outlast the rather small Mini engine.

Given the above, here are the things that weigh in the MINI Clubman S favor:
It has sporty seats and while they are not as comfortable as the C30s seat, they are fine and more like what one expects in a car that is bought for it's zippiness and handling ability. The C30 does not drive like a zippy car. While it can go quickly, it likes to drive slow. The whole front inside and out is sedate looking - Just the opposite of the Clubman. The C30 whle it has better rear-view visibility, I do not like the very wide open rear, it's like the car driver behind you can see everything in your car as though he were in the rear seat - Too open for me. security, etc. I believe Consumer reports reliability reports indicate a better reapir histoy for the MINIs vs the Volvos.

In the end, it was the fact that I was replacing a Prelude and the MINI Clubman came closer to the handling and responsiveness of that car. However, if you desire the benefits of those ultra comfortable C30 seats and you like it's handling, and the openness of the rear is of no concern.....then decision becomes much tougher. You probably can get a better price on a 30 vs Clubman S. So...maybe the cost difference may play a factor in this as well.

Old 10-04-2009 | 07:04 AM
wanta23
1st Gear
I say mini of course. I bet if you posted this on the volvo site, they'd say volvo. You cant ask MINI people this question.

Old 10-04-2009 | 09:06 AM
tazio
6th Gear
Patience. You should really check out both of these cars before you buy:

2010 C30 R

2010 Golf R

Old 10-04-2009 | 10:20 AM
RadioFlyer
4th Gear
there are days when i wish my clubbie had my S60's seats. other than that, no regrets at all.

Old 10-04-2009 | 11:07 AM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
I think the C 30 is a great looking car. Volvo's design has improved quite a bit in the last few years. The interior design leaves something to be desired still, but it's improved as well. However the thing is, at least for me and I'm sure some of you keep seeing this theme from me in my posts, the design changes after a few years. I plan on keeping my car for quite some time so I wanted a car whose design wouldn't change much and wouldn't looked dated in 4 years. Take the Jetta for example. The model from 4-5 years ago looked good. I really liked it at the time. Then they came out with the model that they've had for a few years now it was so much better from a design standpoint. The instant that design came out, were I a Jetta owner I'd want a new car. With the Clubman I don't think that will happen, though I must say I'm really looking forward to seeing the Countryman.

One more thing about the C 30, I just priced it out online recently and it was pricier than my Clubman S. Of course a trip to the dealer might mean otherwise, but tough to say.

Old 10-04-2009 | 11:35 AM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tazio

2010 C30 R

2010 Golf R
Good looking cars...

Old 10-04-2009 | 11:58 AM
macct
|
2nd Gear
Thank you for the responses

I appreciate the replies. I'm in no rush, and look forward to test diving the S automatic when my dealer has one.

Old 10-04-2009 | 12:06 PM
macct
|
2nd Gear
The Volvo C30R is very similar to the 2009

Originally Posted by tazio

2010 C30 R

2010 Golf R
I agree the Volvo is very sharp looking and I find the redesign front more attractive and sporty. The driving dynamics, however, are not likely to change noticeably. At this point, I like the looks more than the performance aspect. Hopefully, I will have a clear picture after driving the S version, and know what direction I want to go.

In terms of the GTI/Golf R, I think they are quite nice, but not for me. I rather have something a bit more unique as the second car.

Old 10-04-2009 | 12:13 PM
macct
|
2nd Gear
Good points

Originally Posted by BLAUGRANA
I think the C 30 is a great looking car. Volvo's design has improved quite a bit in the last few years. The interior design leaves something to be desired still, but it's improved as well. However the thing is, at least for me and I'm sure some of you keep seeing this theme from me in my posts, the design changes after a few years. I plan on keeping my car for quite some time so I wanted a car whose design wouldn't change much and wouldn't looked dated in 4 years. Take the Jetta for example. The model from 4-5 years ago looked good. I really liked it at the time. Then they came out with the model that they've had for a few years now it was so much better from a design standpoint. The instant that design came out, were I a Jetta owner I'd want a new car. With the Clubman I don't think that will happen, though I must say I'm really looking forward to seeing the Countryman.

One more thing about the C 30, I just priced it out online recently and it was pricier than my Clubman S. Of course a trip to the dealer might mean otherwise, but tough to say.
Good points. I do, however, think that both the Clubman and C30 will age well. Both are pretty distinctive looking with designs embellished from past models.

Old 10-04-2009 | 06:32 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by macct
I agree the Volvo is very sharp looking and I find the redesign front more attractive and sporty. The driving dynamics, however, are not likely to change noticeably.
Or they could change quite a bit. 30% stiffer springs, bigger swaybars, 10% quicker steering could all combine to make for a very different feeling car. We'll see...

Old 10-04-2009 | 10:23 PM
jointheclubman
2nd Gear
I will probably find myself in this dilemma when I purchase my car as I am debating the exact same three cars you are. The decision will only get tougher when Volvo releases the 2010 C30 because IMO the redesigned front end looks very nice and compliments the radical design of the C30 much better than the current front does.

As for helping you make your decision, you should consider what you want from the car. Comparing these two cars is like comparing apples and oranges. For example, I can say with certainty that the MINI will be a lot funner than the Volvo. On the flip side, the Volvo will have the MINI beat in terms of comfort, refinement, and especially, safety.

So consider what you want out of the car. If you want a car to drive mostly for fun, then the MINI is the way to go. If you are more concerned about comfort of your passengers or the safety of your family, then Volvo is obviously the way to go.

In either case, best of luck in your decision and whatever you come to, let us know! I could certainly use some pointers for when I am faced with this "problem"

Old 03-03-2010 | 12:29 AM
Sportspack Mark
3rd Gear
I hope you made the right choice

Last night I drove a C30 1.6 diesel drive model and although it was nippy enough, the handling was pathetic compared to my Clubman :(

Old 03-03-2010 | 11:19 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by macct
I rather have something a bit more unique as the second car.
Minis are hardly unique anymore -- they're everywhere!

A sportified C30 would be a lot more interesting and appealing, imo. It just might require a few judicious mods to get you there...

Old 03-03-2010 | 06:11 PM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
I really like the C30. It's a sharp car IMHO. But you said, "Fun" car and the Mini is way more "Fun" than the C30 but the C30 is pretty "Fun/Classy." The fun factor and the club door went a long way towards swaying my choice. I have a baby and need easy access to a back seat where I have a rear facing child. I didn't get a chance to sit on the back seat of the C30. How does it compare room wise with the Clubman? I have found the Clubman to be surprisingly comfy with plenty of leg room in the back for both kids and adults. You also said, "Family" car so bring your kids along and ask what they think. Kids will always be honest and kids know "Fun" as well. How old are your kids and how many? If they are talking, they will certainly give you their opinions, lol.

Quick Reply: R55 Clubman, Clubman S or Volvo C30 as a fun second family car