R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clear Bra?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:31 AM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clear Bra?

I have some questions for those of you that have a clear bra installed on your Mini...

If the film is applied to the mirrors does it cover the entire back or is it just on the leading edge? What about the bumper and valance, Is it applied to all the surfaces or does it miss some of them?

The reason I want to know is that I am going to have it done and I just wanted to make sure my installer does it correctly.

Thanks, and I sure appreciate any information and advice you can give me!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:07 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the dealer I bought the car from do it prior to delivery (Sept 5, 2009). They did the leading edges of the mirrors, full front bumper, and the bonnet (no grill) about halfway up, a little bit above the scoop. They DID NOT do the headlights and foglamps as they said something about new MINIs come with some kind of coating so they don't need clear bra (first I've heard of this in 7 years of MINI ownership).

Also, I will probably be doing the windshield pillars (A-pillars) and leading edge of the roof myself for more protection.

If you have the option and means $$$, I highly recommend asking the installer to do those plus maybe the entire bonnet instead of partial bonnet.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:20 AM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
minicoopermike,

On the mirrors...Did they apply the film from the top edge down past the front or was it a strip on the leading edge? If possible would you mind posting a picture of the material on your mirrors?

The reason I'm asking is that it's hard for me to grasp how a 2-dimensional material can be put on a 3-dimensional object without stretching or contracting the material. The manufacturer of this film says it should not be stretched very much and it will not contract. Like you, I'd like to do some of this work for myself.

Thanks...

Old 10-07-2009, 11:55 AM
STLMINI
6th Gear
You can have the installer do whatever you want. It's just going to cost more for material and probably a little more labor.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:01 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having the Dealer do it prior to Delivery will save you piece of mind, at least it did me. Molly's Clear Bra was $750 (I think) Door Edges were also done.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:47 PM
geoffv
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mbu
minicoopermike,

The reason I'm asking is that it's hard for me to grasp how a 2-dimensional material can be put on a 3-dimensional object without stretching or contracting the material. The manufacturer of this film says it should not be stretched very much and it will not contract. Like you, I'd like to do some of this work for myself.

Thanks...
I've installed this stuff in my motorcycle over some pretty difficult corners and rounded areas. Once you heat the material up and with a little patience it will form just about any contours.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:05 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
I had the clear full bra 3M matl installed by ProForm in MD which was recommended by the local MINI Club. It covered the whole bonnet, front body/bumper, headlights, about 60% of the mirrors and the door edges. Looks great...well...actually it's the lack of seeing it that looks great. Full bonnet has no noticeable edge - It's one piece. You only notice the matl edge on the mirrors if you are looking for it.