R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Opinions on color combinations

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 02:42 PM
macct
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Opinions on color combinations

If it was solely up to me my, I would select Pepper White with a black roof with the Punch Carbon leather and Ivory trim. Unfortunately, I need to make accommodations and they feel I should have a more fun color since this is meant as a second car. As a result, PW is out. The combinations under consideration are as follows:

(1) Laser Blue with a Black roof, PC black leather with blue & standard silver interior trim. This is my son's favorite, but it's a little loud for me. (I need to see this combination again) Can you see yourself driving this color combination?

(2) Chili Red with a Black roof (no stripes) with PC leather & red interior accents. Everyone likes this color, but I this viewed more as a MC color (iconic red & white)? With red paint, do you also see all the micro swirls in the paint? This was my experience years ago and it always bothered me.

(3) Horizon Blue with matching roof (& black end cap). Similarly, it would have PC black leather with ivory & std trim (blue not available w/ this combination). This seems to be acceptable to everyone, but it wouldn't be anyone's first choice. I also not sure about the matching roof part. It seems a mini trademark to have an offsetting color.

(4) Pure Silver with Black roof. PC leather with std trim. Like the Horizon Blue everyone likes this choice, albeit it's no ones' first choice. I also don't see how this is less conservative than Pepper White.

Any thoughts or concerns about any of these combinations? Did you have to go through a similar selection process? Did you err on the side of bold or conservative?

Old 10-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Stig One
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 and 4 for best resale value

Old 10-10-2009, 03:38 PM
macct
2nd Gear
Thank you, good to know...

Originally Posted by Stig One
2 and 4 for best resale value
I thought that might be the case. I can see the Laser Blue as being a bit polarizing.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Stig One
Banned
blue,green and yellow are the worst in resale value. when i bookout a trade in i always deduct 2000 for a bad colour.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:59 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
If you want a true fun color MINI I would choose the white roof over a black one. The color options such as matching the white of UJ mirror caps, stripes match better with a white roof. Looks more like Challenge Cup Cars.

I have seen the Lazer Blue and Black roof....not appealing at all. White with white rally or sport stripes looks best....

Red and Black roof indeed looks more elegent, but if you are really looking for "fun colors", white is better option as it is more versatile with other mods.

I know a BMW/MINI mechanic with a used MC 40, in excellent shape and one of kind because he put a factory replacement JCW engine in it !....very cool, and he has it up for sale now has completed the work in his off time.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:04 PM
macct
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
If you want a true fun color MINI I would choose the white roof over a black one. The color options such as matching the white of UJ mirror caps, stripes match better with a white roof. Looks more like Challenge Cup Cars.

I have seen the Lazer Blue and Black roof....not appealing at all. White with white rally or sport stripes looks best....
Unfortunately, we don't have white as an option for the clubman. It's either silver or black. Of the two, I prefer the black.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:16 PM
OldLoad
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by macct
Unfortunately, we don't have white as an option for the clubman. It's either silver or black. Of the two, I prefer the black.
So true I would have gone BRG/White if that choice was there but BRG/Silver might make some believe I was a Philadelphia Eagles fan...

Last edited by OldLoad; 10-10-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:41 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
If it was solely up to me my, I would select Pepper White with a black roof with the Punch Carbon leather and Ivory trim. Unfortunately, I need to make accommodations and they feel I should have a more fun color since this is meant as a second car. As a result, PW is out. The combinations under consideration are as follows:

(
Any thoughts or concerns about any of these combinations? Did you have to go through a similar selection process? Did you err on the side of bold or conservative?
Roof color same as the body won't work for you? I have a PW/PW with black smile, but have seen several other color Monochrome R55's that looked sharp, and different. Don't know about the resale factor of Monochrome.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:19 PM
jointheclubman
2nd Gear
I think body-colored roof is the way to go in any color. The black roof does look nice, but IMO it looks a lot cleaner with body color.

Of the given choices, I'd take #3. Matching roof aside, I can't get myself to enjoy the other colors as much as I do Horizon Blue. Pure Silver is a bit boring for me, Laser Blue is a bit too bright, and Chili Red is a little too flashy for me.

If you can, go for Dark Silver. It only comes in S, but it looks awesome with a body-colored roof!

Old 10-10-2009, 11:36 PM
djmcgill
3rd Gear
Take a look at my combination. Sparkling Silver/Silver. It is a nice clean looking combo. The SS body doesn't show dirt and the Silver roof/rear accents blend well with the body color.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
If you are going with #3 I would suggest getting the matching roof color. We thought about the black roof but A) it will show dirt/spots more and B) to us it seemed "too black". Here are a couple of shots of ours:

Name:  IMG_2221.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  75.8 KB

We love our Clubbie and I am sure you will as well!!!!

Old 10-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Project Mangler
3rd Gear
Mike, I've never been a Horizon Blue fan until I saw your pics. Very nice, I think the roof rails help tie it all together somehow.

I went with the OP's original--and panned--choice of PW with black roof. Put some stripes on it and I think it's plenty fun. I've seen a very nice Lazer Blue/Silver clubbie, I can't see LB/Black working, but that's just me.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:13 AM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
Thanks Mangler!

The roof rails really do set it off. If we had a black roof with the roof rails I think it would look silly to us.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:14 PM
BMW13
2nd Gear
Go with Pure Silver, doesn't show dirt, good resale and classic looks.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:43 PM
RadioFlyer
4th Gear
you CAN get dark silver now on a Justa. I love my nightfire and haven't seen one other in town yet. hopefully, that's a good thing...

Old 10-12-2009, 04:29 PM
RainierHooker
1st Gear
I say option 2. If it is supposed to be a 'fun' car it might as well have a 'fun' color combo. I am usually biased to blue (my MCS is Lightning Blue), but the Laser is maybe too loud forme, while the horizon is too sedate. Red 'n black is fun, but still classic, and classy...

Old 10-12-2009, 07:04 PM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
I agree with you on the Pepper White. If I had to choose one of the options you've got I'd go with 2.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think black roofs are a bad idea for thermal and dust reasons. So, my preference would be for a silver roof. I think that dark silver body with silver roof and trim would be an interesting and elegant look, especially with Redwood Lounge Leather and English Oak. Not sure that would be fun enough for your family, but it wouldn't be boring, IMO. You might be able to appease them with an aftermarket racing stripe.

Otherwise, I'd go for Chilli Red, red roof, black trim, and aftermarket black racing stripe. None of the blues appeal to me.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:19 PM
tattedXB
4th Gear
Dude, PW is the BEST! How can you say it's not fun?

AND LOOK, I'M HAVING FUN WITH IT!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:40 AM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer
you CAN get dark silver now on a Justa. I love my nightfire and haven't seen one other in town yet. hopefully, that's a good thing...
I came close to getting a Dark Silver/Silver roof.
It was gorgeous.

I do love my PW though.

I did see a Nightfire Red/Black roof here last week.
It was beautiful!!!

However, like the OP, I had a very limited selection from what the dealer had in stock. I did have the option of paying $$$ to have a different color shipped from another dealer. I decided that I wouldn't get too hung up on color, as long as I could get the options that I wanted.

Y'know - I truly think they all look good.
Some just take a little more getting used to than others.
DH was very relieved that I could not get a Chili Red!
The PW works for me.

ETA: I didn't answer the question!
IMHO:
1st Choice - #2
2nd Choice - #1
3rd Choice - #4
4th Choice - #3

Last edited by LittleWing; 10-16-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:37 AM
95010bro
1st Gear
Hot Chocolate dude

Old 10-17-2009, 06:20 AM
accordselux
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did Chili Red with a black roof and tinted my windows. It helps divide the car up nicely IMO.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:07 AM
KdF
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 95010bro
Hot Chocolate dude

Did those lights come with it, or did you add them?

Old 10-18-2009, 07:29 AM
mattsenpai
4th Gear

I have no idea if Pure silver is available, but it's a nice color. If it's a MINI ..especially a 3 door mini, you're already going loud so go for that laser blue! I'm not sure why horizon blue was ever invented for the mini, it's boringness lacks personality, and that sparkling silver should stay on chryslers and camrys. That black is nice too.. with the rooster red interior or something.
But like yeah if you get the blue, go for that blue interior trimmy stuff you mentioned

If you get off-white, that PC leather will greatly match with your grill (if its a mcs), plastic wheel arches, tires, Anthracite headliner if you chose it, steering wheel, rearview mirror, your antenna, floor mats, sunroof shade AND THE shifter/e-brake.

So in the end, any color your choose will be GREAT; just don't get silver, gold, black white yellow brown red green, or blue.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Otra
6th Gear
(4) Pure Silver with Black roof. PC leather with std trim. Like the Horizon Blue everyone likes this choice, albeit it's no ones' first choice. I also don't see how this is less conservative than Pepper White.
Well, I beg to differ on that #4! There aren't too many of us out there but that's what makes us so special.

P.S. And I absolutely love the Horizon Blue and would have ordered it if it had been available. Though CR is very lively and a happy color, and then Pepper White is such a classic...

Quick Reply: R55 Opinions on color combinations