R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Where Does Nineteen Equal Negative Four?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009 | 10:38 AM
markusw
3rd Gear
Here's a picture.

Old 10-15-2009 | 10:59 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
I saw this post a few minutes after it was put up and there weren't any replies. I actually started typing a reply before I had to stop myself thinking there's no way this guy could be serious. I was certain that this had to be a troll. Having been one of the "men behind the badge" but now reformed and deprogrammed, I have to say that you are all correct. In general, the speed limit stops/starts at the sign, not before, not after. Before the current nationwide financial crisis, "MOST" LEO's would give some leeway when you are coming into a lower speed limit but they wouldn't let you get away with ignoring it.

I just wish I lived in the same area as the OP 'cause he'd be the guy I want in front of me luring the blue lights out of the bushes! Thanks for the laughs with the comments and I hope the fight against this ticket goes well and doesn't result in any jail time or community service!

Last edited by cmcveay; 10-15-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-15-2009 | 11:02 AM
Wolfeee
6th Gear
Old 10-15-2009 | 11:17 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
LOL

Lots of luck,
Maybe the judge will let you plead no-contest so you won't get the 4 points. 4 points will probably double your insurance premium.

Old 10-15-2009 | 12:01 PM
MINI-charged
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jpp_zoso
once you can read the sign, you can and should obey the sign.
So as soon as I can see that stop sign 1/4 mile ahead, I should stop?

Old 10-15-2009 | 05:35 PM
jpp_zoso
|
2nd Gear
and another thing, which just occurred to me...this guy had to have been hauling some serious tail to catch up to me. i mean, he pulled me over a good half mile up the road from where the incident occurred, and he was at a flat stop, so he had to have been moving to catch up to me. what's with that? where's the cops for the cops, huh? i mean that guy had to have been speeding to catch me, no? i'd be willing to bet he was doing way over 55mph in a 30mph zone just to catch me. now if only i could find a way to prove this...

Old 10-15-2009 | 05:47 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Old 10-15-2009 | 06:20 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
This is a great argument to use in your statement to the judge. All you have to do is say that you were going 45 or 50 in the 35, and so the pursuing officer had to be going faster than that to catch you. He should be the one getting the ticket, since he was going faster. Judges know that police officers can't go faster than the posted speed limits, either. That's why they have those cool lights, so people will see them in their rear view mirrors and slow down so they can be caught. If, for some reason, they drive faster to get away, they'll probably run into another speed trap in the next town and get pulled over there. Congratulations on being the first to come up with this very logical argument. It sounds like you have an open and shut case...that is, they'll open up the cell door and shut it after you're inside after you're found guilty of felony cluelessness.

Old 10-16-2009 | 07:02 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Now from the last comments by the OP I know he/she got their license from a cereal box.

Please tell the judge that you think the cop should be the one getting ticketed for going over the speed limit so that we no longer have to worry about such a "clueless to the law" driver on the road.

Old 10-16-2009 | 07:21 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
I wish my Valentine 1 could detect trolls. Anybody else think this thread was bogus from the beginning??

Old 10-16-2009 | 07:32 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
I think you have a winning argument and in my 6yrs on the other side of the badge, I was never confronted with that argument.

Please keep everyone here posted on how this turns out 'cause I know I'm not the only one sitting on the edge of my seat hoping you win this one.

Old 10-16-2009 | 07:43 AM
Jeremy1026
I think the OP should wait outside of fire houses, and follow the engines on their way to calls. Once they stop, he should make a citizens arrest on the driver for speeding, running lights, and sometimes even failure to remain right of center.

Old 10-16-2009 | 09:16 AM
bahollings
3rd Gear
My two cents worth as a retired deputy sheriff, from Bernalillo County (Albuquerque) so don't know if that qualifies as "po-dunk" or not.
Our dept did not allow us to run radar within 100 yards of any change in the speed limit. That way we never got into this type of situation. Trust me in our jurisdiction we didn't have to try and hide to ticket someone, I just would drive on I-40 through Tijeras Canyon and I could write all the tickets I wanted at 15 and above. And no we didn't have quotas we were allowed to write as many tickets as you wanted.
And one last thing after you were dispatched to one wreck on the freeway when the vehicles were traveling 85+ believe me you are motivated to try and get people to slow down.

Old 10-16-2009 | 09:35 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
But how could you catch up to someone doing 85+ without speeding yourself? I am totally confused.

Old 10-16-2009 | 01:48 PM
accordselux
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jpp_zoso
and another thing, which just occurred to me...this guy had to have been hauling some serious tail to catch up to me. i mean, he pulled me over a good half mile up the road from where the incident occurred, and he was at a flat stop, so he had to have been moving to catch up to me. what's with that? where's the cops for the cops, huh? i mean that guy had to have been speeding to catch me, no? i'd be willing to bet he was doing way over 55mph in a 30mph zone just to catch me. now if only i could find a way to prove this...
Sometimes this place reminds me of Disney, in which I can't say some of my true thoughts like some other forums. Sometimes this is good, sometimes this is bad.

This time, it is bad.

My silence does not accurately reflect my opinion.

Old 10-16-2009 | 02:09 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Originally Posted by veggivet
But how could you catch up to someone doing 85+ without speeding yourself? I am totally confused.
I am thinking it may be the Motorola and twins.

Old 10-16-2009 | 08:35 PM
jpp_zoso
|
2nd Gear
i never realized most of the users on this forum were lawyers or other legal types. who knew? and while i appreciate all the carefully crafted advice you all seem so willing to offer, and free of charge no less, i'm pretty sure i've already got my legal defense strategy all worked out. may change my mind between now and the court date, but i doubt it.

lucky for me, and i am not making this up, i was coincidentally listening to the album "voa" the day the incident occurred, and sammy just got in my head. he told me to do it, honest. i mean, there's already legal precedent for ozzy osbourne, judas priest, and slayer on the capital crimes side, i'm thinkin' sammy deserves his time in the sun as well, but in muni court (sammy doesn't have quite the reputation as those other artists). if any of you can come up with something better than that, lemme know.

oh, and special kudos to whomever drew that picture for me. sa-weeeet! i hadn't noticed that before. may wanna use that in court if you don't mind. that's not copywrighted or anything is it? but i was wondering if i could trouble you to reverse it...? i have no artistic skills at all, and you seem to know what you're doing, but the road you drew has the zones reversed from my situation, so it might confuse the judge and all. now if only all the roads in wisconsin had those nice blue and red lines along side them so i'd know what to do, all would be swell. those fancy schmancy brackets would kick too much a__ too, but the state's in a bit of an economic crisis, so i'm trying to keep my hopes realistic.

Old 10-17-2009 | 03:49 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
I've heard of the Twinkie defense, but not the Ozzy defense. I would unsubscribe from this thread but it providing many laughs at this point. FWIW, I thought the diagram was brilliant, especially considering the fact that you weren't getting the point with just words. Just print out the picture and hold it up to a mirror for the judge and it'll represent your situation accurately. If the judge refuses to look at your diagram, you can claim you're another victim of American blind justice. Be sure to let us know the outcome, as if there's any doubt.

Last edited by veggivet; 10-17-2009 at 04:46 AM.
Old 10-17-2009 | 06:56 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
DUH!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-17-2009 | 07:12 AM
Wolfeee
6th Gear
I would unsubscribe from this thread but it providing many laughs at this point.

Just print out the picture and hold it up to a mirror for the judge and it'll represent your situation accurately.

Old 10-17-2009 | 01:57 PM
accordselux
4th Gear
Just print out the picture and hold it up to a mirror for the judge and it'll represent your situation accurately.
He doesn't even need the mirror. If he holds the mirror up himself, he should be able to see the situation accurately.

Old 10-17-2009 | 02:55 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
I've read a lot of thread on this forum but this takes first prize. Jpp zoso you are going to win dude! Here's my defense: I was listening to Sammy at top volume and I knew that 55 sign was coming up soon. I was getting antsy to stomp the accelerator of my Mini Cooper. I usually stop and the conv. store and get a 24 oz can of malt liquor to stick between my legs and sip on but that day I just cruised by without it. I ask you this judge: Aren't you going to cut me any freaking slack for not drinking and driving that day? I quit drinking and you're gonna make me pay? Please tell me you're reasonable. I think it'll get you a sympathy vote at least cut the fine in half.

Old 10-18-2009 | 01:15 PM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bahollings
My two cents worth as a retired deputy sheriff, from Bernalillo County (Albuquerque) so don't know if that qualifies as "po-dunk" or not.
Our dept did not allow us to run radar within 100 yards of any change in the speed limit. That way we never got into this type of situation. Trust me in our jurisdiction we didn't have to try and hide to ticket someone, I just would drive on I-40 through Tijeras Canyon and I could write all the tickets I wanted at 15 and above. And no we didn't have quotas we were allowed to write as many tickets as you wanted.
And one last thing after you were dispatched to one wreck on the freeway when the vehicles were traveling 85+ believe me you are motivated to try and get people to slow down.
bahollings,

Albuquerque is by no means Po-Dunk....LOL.....I do agree with you about Tijeras Canyon....now if we could all get the 18 wheelers to slow down through there I would be happy! If you see a Horizon Blue Clubbie S around town be sure to wave!

Old 10-20-2009 | 01:17 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Me thinks the "picture" was probably a scan out of a drivers education book or some online drivers ed course.

OP = the ozzy/hagar excuse will probably work as well as any other you've come up with. File a lawsuit against Sammy while you're at it. It may pay for some mods that can make you go even faster!

Old 10-20-2009 | 01:31 PM
markusw
3rd Gear
jpp_zoso, you can use my picture if you think it will help. I'm unclear why it needs reversed as both directions of travel are shown, but if you explain what needs reversed I could change it.

MotorMouth, Thanks for the complement . I spent 10 minutes of my break to draw that picture in Microsoft Paint .

Quick Reply: R55 Where Does Nineteen Equal Negative Four?