R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman S Order Details - Critique

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 04:37 PM
macct
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Clubman S Order Details - Critique

Pepper White ultimately won out, but I agreed to add stripes or decals that will have some red in them. In terms of the car details:

6 Speed AT
Premium Package (I like all 3 items)
Sport Package (5-Star Wheels)
Cold Weather Package
Sirius
Bluetooth-UBS/Ipod adapter

Punch Carbon Leather
Cream Color Line
Piano Black Trim

Some lingering thoughts or doubts....

*Oak Trim - the piano black looks good in the showroom, but I never had a chance to see the wood. I wonder if it would be a nice compliment with the cream & black.

*PDC - I had it for years and like it. I just wonder if I really need it on such a small car that won't be the daily commuter.

*Navigation - I don't need it, but I am tempted by the comments about the ease of the other features (phone, radio, ipod). Is the standard interface adequate? Is it relatively easy to find phone numbers or get to other car settings?

*I plan on getting the JCW wheels (R112). I can actually do it cheaper than the selling dealer who really marked them up. As such, I included the base 17" wheels that come with the sport package, and will changeover to the R112, keeping the existing RF tires and sensors? Would you go this route or just put non-RFs on?

Finally, I told my son that I would add some red detail to the exterior. It will probably be a combination racing strip (black & red) and sunroof decal. Do you think a red stripe with a black pinstripe would be a little much?

Old 10-18-2009, 04:47 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you considered adding the factory roof spoiler ($250)? By adding the spoiler and Sport stripe on the back, it will give the car a more sporty look on the rear. Otherwise, the car looks like a station wagon. Search for pictures on gallery for sport strip and roof spoiler and then decide. Good luck with your purchase.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:55 PM
proximal
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by macct
*Oak Trim - the piano black looks good in the showroom, but I never had a chance to see the wood. I wonder if it would be a nice compliment with the cream & black.

*Navigation - I don't need it, but I am tempted by the comments about the ease of the other features (phone, radio, ipod). Is the standard interface adequate? Is it relatively easy to find phone numbers or get to other car settings?

*I plan on getting the JCW wheels (R112). I can actually do it cheaper than the selling dealer who really marked them up. As such, I included the base 17" wheels that come with the sport package, and will changeover to the R112, keeping the existing RF tires and sensors? Would you go this route or just put non-RFs on?
Trim: keep in mind that the piano black shows dust and fingerprints much more readily. Scratches are also much more visible. I still like the piano black and am glad that I got it, but maintenance wise I think the wood would be a bit easier.

Navigation: You'll figure it out after a few days. The interface for the radio/phone/computer is much nicer than the standard setup. Once you sync your phone the phonebook is quite easy to access. I have been using the voice commands more and more and they are cake.

Wheels/tires: Getting rid of the runflats will give a significant improvement in ride and handling.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
macct,

Not sure if you want to get the roof rails or not. On the 2009 it has to be factory installed...not sure if the 2010 is the same...

We have the piano black interior and really like it. We have not noticed any problems with it as far as scratching or collecting fingerprints. With that being said, we do keep a microfiber towel in the car just in case.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:59 AM
bahollings
3rd Gear
No No No , what are you thinking an A.T. in a Mini????
Save that for the Cadillac.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:11 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a fan of the oak. Check out my gallery for pics. I think it would look great with your interior.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:56 AM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
if you are ever going to carry bikes, skis, cargo box on the roof get the factory installed roof rails for a more secure mount for your gear

Old 10-19-2009, 02:11 PM
jointheclubman
2nd Gear
Re: the Nav system for ease of use of the other features.

Consider this: do you want to spend $2000 for a couple features to be marginally easier? IMO, the Mini should be more about the driving experience than the extra gadgets, so I wouldn't spend the money for it. However, it is your car and if you feel it is worth it, then you should do it.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:35 PM
macct
2nd Gear
I would prefer not to

Originally Posted by jointheclubman

Consider this: do you want to spend $2000 for a couple features to be marginally easier? IMO, the Mini should be more about the driving experience than the extra gadgets, so I wouldn't spend the money for it. However, it is your car and if you feel it is worth it, then you should do it.
I also agree with you in principal. Are the features in question still relatively easy or at least intuitive to use? I would prefer to keep the price where it is. Thanks for the input.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:37 PM
macct
2nd Gear
I may reconsider this

Originally Posted by BuzzCut1
if you are ever going to carry bikes, skis, cargo box on the roof get the factory installed roof rails for a more secure mount for your gear
While I don't anticipate a need now, it seems like these need to be done upfront or go without. Thanks for the input.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:28 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Any interior choices you opt for will stay looking new longer with a good coat of wax!!

Old 10-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Greg Davis
4th Gear
From what interior options you've indicated, I think the Piano Black will look much more integrated and thought out.

Also consider the anthracite headliner. I tried to add it to mine during my build, but it was too far along. With the black seats, interior, and Piano Black, the standard light gray doesn't match anything and to me, really stands out. I went so far as to replace all of my pillars with anthracite units, which has at least gotten the light gray our of the "line of sight" with the rest of the interior.

Just my opinons on living with similar interior colors (w/ exception of the color-line because of my exterior) as you have selected for almost 16 months now.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Greg Davis
4th Gear
Oh, and as far as the comment about ordering an auto goes - just ignore it. The auto is a blast to drive and is priceless if you drive alot arond town. To me, the edge it has over the manual is with the auto, you have the option of shifting or not. With the maual, you have zero options - you've ALWAYS gotta have a free hand.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:41 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jointheclubman

I'm sure you can find numerous threads debating the merits of the NAV system. I have it, and can assure you that I didn't "spend $2000 for a couple of features to be marginally easier." It's easy for those who chose against it to bash it; personally, I don't know of anyone who chose it and regrets it, but I do know people who didn't choose it and do regret it.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Project Mangler
3rd Gear
We don't have the NAV system, but have no problems using our bluetooth phone. The radio itself drives me nuts, but I haven't really taken the time to learn it. Intuitive it is not, but that's part of Mini's charm....or so I tell myself.

I've never seen the anthracite headliner, but I can say that the base headliner doesn't bother me in our basic black interior. I would like to see one just to know what I'm missing...or perhaps ignorance is bliss.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:21 PM
selkie
Neutral
+1 for factory roof rails, I have read a good many posts from people frustrated with, or scared of the aftermarket and oem racks.

Also, just a reminder to take wheel shipping cost into account with that whole transaction. It can cost more than $200 to ship the 5-star pace's to a buyer.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:42 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Have you seen the PW with a chocolate leather? Saw one the other day an it really looked rich.

I am curious - is the oak trim real oak wood or is it simulated/painted?

Old 10-20-2009, 11:44 AM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Pepper White ultimately won out, but I agreed to add stripes or decals that will have some red in them. In terms of the car details:

6 Speed AT
Premium Package (I like all 3 items)
Sport Package (5-Star Wheels)
Cold Weather Package
Sirius
Bluetooth-UBS/Ipod adapter

Punch Carbon Leather
Cream Color Line
Piano Black Trim

*PDC - I had it for years and like it. I just wonder if I really need it on such a small car that won't be the daily commuter.

Finally, I told my son that I would add some red detail to the exterior. It will probably be a combination racing strip (black & red) and sunroof decal. Do you think a red stripe with a black pinstripe would be a little much?
MACCT - Your configuration is very similar to my 2009 build, except the JCW wheels and I have the roof Rails. I also make do with a Garmin 760 instead of OEM Nav. Also I have the bluetooth/iPod integration which I use successfully with a Moto E-815 phone, and an iPod NANO. You are welcome to view what that car looks like on my NAM gallery, and on my MAC Me account - http://gallery.me.com/a.j.miller
If you do check the .me.com gallery note that there are pictures of the car with the original light gray headliner, and later there are pictures with the anthracite headliner. I like the Anthracite better. Also note that I do use the roof rails, but besides that I like the PW roof line much better with the Black rail accent. As your son likes, - I added some red to the car ajm

Old 10-20-2009, 12:08 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
MACCT
You might also consider the 'White Turn Signal' ($100) option. Some consider the standard 'bright orange' lens to be distracting from the overall exterior color 'look' of certain colors. My PW has the WTS option.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:36 PM
macct
2nd Gear
Thank you for the feedback

I'm going to revisit a few items. I appreciate the comments.