R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Anthracite headliners

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 03:37 PM
b13mini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anthracite headliners

To all those who have ordered the anthracite headliners, do you still love your decision, was it worth it? Do they stay clean? I was thinking they would stay cleaner than the reg grey.

Thanks,

b13mini

Old 10-24-2009, 03:49 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just thinking the other day how much better the AH is than the gray in my first MINI. It is one 'luxury' I would put in the 'A' group on my list.

No issue at all with cleanliness.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:59 PM
IcedogSVL
1st Gear
Yes!

Waited about 6 months for it to get installed...then another month when they didn't have all the parts...finally done a few months ago and I am totally satisfied. It completes the car..no question about it.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Dookiepower
2nd Gear
My question about the anthracite is, since I bought my car off the lot she didn't have the anthracite, and I want it. Can you pay the dealer to install it? If so is it really worth it? And approx how much would it run?

Old 10-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Frisco
2nd Gear
Das headliner.

Any body shop can do your headliner.
They often repair wrecks requiring a new
head line.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:22 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Would be pretty expensive after the fact, no? Need new plastic at the pillars as well.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I had the light gray in my 07 and liked the contrast with the darker lower portion of the interior. I have AH on my 08 and like it too, it makes the inside very dark.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:50 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Like IcedogSVL said it would be very expensive. Some of us received cars with the wrong headliner and MINI replaced them. The Anthracite retrofit that was installed by MINI was to solve a production line problem - week 36 - 44 or so in 2008. I believe the Kit had over 130+ parts, including the front upper console, hand grips, side sun visor, A/B/ & C pillar trim, rear door trim, seat belt trim, and all fasteners/trim plugs. The work took the dealer two business days and one return trip for a few out of stock trim plugs. A wrecked MINI may be a source for some parts but many of the plugs and fasteners are one time use.

If you do take the project, and you have the Bluetooth options - remember to keep the BT mike in the gray upper console when you swap for the black. The stock console does not come with the Mike. It took two service calls for the dealer to figure out why my BT quit working after the headliner exchange and they sent my gray console away with the mike still in.

To answer the OPs question I like mine.

Last edited by moe-jiller; 10-24-2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: edit
Old 10-24-2009, 06:07 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Benibiker
...it makes the inside very dark.
Very, very dark.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:15 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by b13mini
To all those who have ordered the anthracite headliners, do you still love your decision, was it worth it? Do they stay clean? I was thinking they would stay cleaner than the reg grey.

Thanks,

b13mini
For your question - When I was initially shopping I saw several cars, in different dealers, that had dirty hand prints on the gray trim and headliner. The Anthracite does not show anything except lint, and light colored hair (human or otherwise). The down side for some is that with even a medium window tint the interior is dark. The only time this bothers me is when trying to find small dark colored objects in the boot area. The single 2 watt boot light is less than helpful. My car is PW/PW, Anthracite top and bottom with English Wood trim. I would do the interior the same again, I like it.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:02 PM
bimmermeup
1st Gear
I have it. Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY!

Old 10-25-2009, 01:33 AM
TheMadDane
3rd Gear
When I was trying to decide/configure my car there was an PW Clubman at the SF dealer, it had the gray headliner. It had already aquired several smudges from showroom exposure. I decided there and then that I needed to order my car with anthracite headliner.

I was so happy I did and did not buy the showroom car!

Old 10-25-2009, 06:56 AM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Dark. Hmmm. I suppose that is one description, but I think it is elegant and cozy. I never get in and think, "Dark".

Old 10-25-2009, 08:50 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm surprised at "headliner smudges" on showroom cars with the light grey headliners, I mean....how?

I prefer the lighter headliner myself, but I'm still perplexed as to how they'd get dirty......

Cleanup is simple enough tho, a spritz and a wipe with a clean cloth should take care of it.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:46 AM
wanta23
1st Gear
I personally dont think I've ever seen one of the "darker" headliners. That being said, why are you putting your hands, or anything else on the headliner? Even my young children know better than that. The darker ones may look nicer though, cant say.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
My 06 was light gray and it was ok...my 09 is anthracite and I love it, it gives the whole interior a dark, cozy feel. It's weird how much difference the dark HL can make, and I almost didn't order it on this car but I'm glad I did, especially with everything else being black (piano finish trim, black cloth seats and carbon interior). Will definitely get anthracite again....

Old 10-25-2009, 10:30 AM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Anthracite in my R56, and it's one of the best things I ordered. Would not want it any other way.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 AM
markusw
3rd Gear
I didn't get the Anthracite headliner. I do really like it, but it won't get on my if-I-order-another-mini list until it is a cheaper option.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:39 AM
MINI Diva
1st Gear
Does anyone have any pics comparing the anthracite to the regular option? I don't have a production number for my Clubbie yet so I'm assuming I can still add it in if I think it's worth it. Is the anthracite a dark grey colour or a black? From the pics on the dealer site, it looks grey... which is why I didn't really understand the difference from that and the regular option. Thanks!

Old 10-26-2009, 12:06 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anthracite = black

Old 10-26-2009, 12:27 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINI Diva
Does anyone have any pics comparing the anthracite to the regular option? I don't have a production number for my Clubbie yet so I'm assuming I can still add it in if I think it's worth it. Is the anthracite a dark grey colour or a black? From the pics on the dealer site, it looks grey... which is why I didn't really understand the difference from that and the regular option. Thanks!
You can check my Mac gallery at http://gallery.me.com/a.j.miller for photos of Tex. There are a few photos early on with the gray headliner (A and B pillar trim only shown), and a few later with the Anthracite headliner (Headliner included).

Last edited by moe-jiller; 10-26-2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Add detail.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:51 PM
MINI Diva
1st Gear
^^ Thanks for the pics! Do you find that it gets really hot in the summer or no difference? I'm planning on tinting the windows and I have the black leatherette.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:33 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
^^ Thanks for the pics! Do you find that it gets really hot in the summer or no difference? I'm planning on tinting the windows and I have the black leatherette.
I find that the Head liner makes no difference (to me, in my car) relative to interior heat. I always use the MINI accessory, silver, front windshield shade, and park in covered parking when possible. My Anthracite Punch leather does not seem any hotter than the Tan leather in our other car. The only option that does get Hot is the English Wood steering wheel, - when left exposed to full day sun. My experience is that the optional Moon Roof is by far the biggest source of Summer sun heat. The lack of a solid shade panel allows tremendous sun penetration into the cockpit.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
I didn't notice a difference either with the light gray or dark gray. Actually I didn't notice a difference between a black roof and white either... Previous 07 had the light gray liner and white top.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Originally Posted by moe-jiller
You can check my Mac gallery at http://gallery.me.com/a.j.miller for photos of Tex. There are a few photos early on with the gray headliner (A and B pillar trim only shown), and a few later with the Anthracite headliner (Headliner included).
I love your Texas scuttles and Texas sunroof!

Quick Reply: R55 Anthracite headliners