R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Final pre-order questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009 | 07:32 AM
b13mini
|
4th Gear
Final pre-order questions

Hello all!

First off, I would like to thank everyone here for being so helpful! I am horrible at making decisions and you have all made it much easier!

I plan on ordering Saturday (Halloween Trick or TREAT! ) and here is my build so far:

MCC Dark Silver/Silver/Silver with Punch Carbon black, white turn signals, premium/sports/cold packages, bluetooth, anthracite headliner, brushed alloy interior, 16" Bridge spoke, roof rack (so I can take it off) black rubber mats, bumper protection and chrome driving lamps with the Black Jack side scuttle.

My final questions are the following:

1 Reg headlights vs Xenons? (I will have fog lights.)

2 Rear fog light? Is there a safety advantage or more just to fill the toggle switch. (I currently use my front fog lights all the time and would think of turning it on when i do highway driving at night, esp in adverse New England weather conditions) Plus not really sure what it looks like lit up. Any pictures out there?

3 Exterior chrome line? Getting just a clubman and like the chrome grill, but not sure if like the look of chrome mirrors or if it is worth it. Are they harder to keep up or scratch easier?

4 Driving lamps? I LOVE the look of em and currently in my build but worth it? Don't use high beams a lot esp. since have/will have fogs.

5 Interior, thinking of brushed alloy vs. fluid silver vs. std silver. I hear the wear on the silver of the door trim on the brushed alloy is not as durable.

Thanks!!
b

Old 10-28-2009 | 08:23 AM
b13mini
|
4th Gear
Also if get the driving lamps, they are dealer installed, can I have them wired separate from the high beams? So can turn on whenever?

Old 10-28-2009 | 12:47 PM
RockyRoad
1st Gear
IMO, I would get the Xenon headlamps and forget about the driving lights. The Xenon should be bright enough unless you planned to take your MINI off-road, or you lived in a very rural area with very limited street lights.

If you really like the look of the driving lights and additional bling on your MINI, this should not stop you. You should get it.

As for the rear fog light, I find it useful and for safety purposes especially on foggy days.

Just my 0.02
RR

Old 10-28-2009 | 12:51 PM
Project Mangler
3rd Gear
I would get rails instead of the roof rack, looks cleaner and no worries about slippage, or the hassle of removing and installing. Nothing against the rack, it sounds like it's a good design, but if you're planning to use a rack anyway why not get the rails? Just my opinion, but since you asked for it....

Old 10-28-2009 | 01:41 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Project Mangler
I would get rails instead of the roof rack, looks cleaner and no worries about slippage, or the hassle of removing and installing. Nothing against the rack, it sounds like it's a good design, but if you're planning to use a rack anyway why not get the rails? Just my opinion, but since you asked for it....
But i would go the other way on this subject as i think the car look ugly with the roof rails. With out the rails it has a much cleaner look IMHO and the roof racks are very easy to go on and off if wet up properly. See my sticky thread at the top of this section.

As for the lights i would recommend going with the Xenons as they are much brighter and light up the road much better. I was just down in the back woods of North Carolina driving The Tail of the Dragon and what a difference between my Xenon's and the Halogens on a friends car in the total pitch black of the night. In fact she is even thinking of trading her car in just to get the Xenon's

As for the fog lights they really do not help much for straight ahead view only really help for the close side view.

As for the extra driving light I don't like the look but you stated you do so if you are willing to spend the money on the LOOK then go for it otherwise save the money for something else. But if you do get them they will help when your really need to see what is in front of you.

Old 10-28-2009 | 03:39 PM
b13mini
|
4th Gear
As far as the roof rack, I am staying. I won't take enough with me or pack things often enough to justify the rails. I would like the rack for an "in case", that way I can take them off! I don't mind the look of the rails, but not the look I want.

The xenon high beams are not brighter than xenon low beams just further distance, is that correct? I have trouble at night sometimes, especially if rainy. I am aware the fog lights light up peripherally, and love them for that, esp on the highway at night when the deer are about. Already hit one, trying to avoid another.

YEah I'm thinking the driving lamps may be useless, and I'm not a huge high beam user, so they would never really be on. A lot of $$ for a little bang. Better off spending that on the rear fog and xenons.

So still whether or not to chrome line exterior, how do peeps like the chrome mirrors?

And what interior surface, brushed alloy, fluid silver or reg silver?

Hmmmmm

b

Old 10-28-2009 | 04:35 PM
hooknew
2nd Gear
you forgot something

be sure to get the arm rest!

Old 10-28-2009 | 05:27 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
b13mini, "So still whether or not to chrome line exterior, how do peeps like the chrome mirrors?"

You did not mention how you liked the look of the two rear bumper Chrome trim parts that come in the Chrome line package. Some folk do not like the rear look with Chrome line.

Old 10-28-2009 | 05:47 PM
bahollings
3rd Gear
When I had my driving lamps installed. I was told Arizona state law says they have to be wired to the high beams. I don't care I never turn them on, I just think they look cool.

Old 10-28-2009 | 08:35 PM
b13mini
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by moe-jiller
b13mini, "So still whether or not to chrome line exterior, how do peeps like the chrome mirrors?"

You did not mention how you liked the look of the two rear bumper Chrome trim parts that come in the Chrome line package. Some folk do not like the rear look with Chrome line.
Hmmm not aware there was rear chrome ...... will have to see! The chrome I saw was on a convertible so only have the website to view. Will go looking for pictures.

b

Old 10-28-2009 | 08:38 PM
b13mini
|
4th Gear
Where is the chrome you speak of? I can't find pictures of it anywhere! Two rear bumper Chrome trim parts? Where?

Last edited by b13mini; 10-28-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-28-2009 | 10:04 PM
jointheclubman
2nd Gear
I love the aesthetics of driving lamps, but I would be concerned about ordering them because they would probably go unused most of the time. I asked a friend of mine and he said he could help me wire it so I could turn it on whenever, but I'm not sure if that's legal or not in CA. I'll figure it out, and if it isn't illegal to have the DL on, then I'll definitely be taking the plunge on that option.

If you do take the option with driving lights, I would go for regular headlights over the xenons and re-wire the driving lights. Plus, with the fogs, you'd have plenty of light coming from the front end! And I would for sure go with the rear fog for both safety reasons and to fill up the toggle switch.

I wouldn't go for the exterior chrome lining though.

Good luck! Congratulations on your Clubman

Old 10-29-2009 | 04:15 AM
b13mini
|
4th Gear
So Far

Everyone's comments are helping greatly!

The only one not to be addresses is the interior. I will choose a silver of some sort and was leaning toward Brushed alloy. Any comments/reviews of brushed alloy, fluid silver or the regular silver?

Old 10-29-2009 | 04:28 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by b13mini
Everyone's comments are helping greatly!

The only one not to be addresses is the interior. I will choose a silver of some sort and was leaning toward Brushed alloy. Any comments/reviews of brushed alloy, fluid silver or the regular silver?
Okay on the interior, my only comment can be IMHO I don't like either one and that is why i have not commented on that until now.

As for the Xenon's high beams are not really any brighter but the way they work is on low beam they have a cut off so you can see a very defined edge in the beam, when on high beam there is no cut off of the beam extends farther down the road.

As for the fog lights - compaired to the Xenon's they are so dim they actually nothing for the forward view they only do a little for the view to the side about 8 feet and forward about 3-4 feet. Changing the bulbs to a brighter/whiter type may have more effect. There are a number of threads on the fog light bulbs around so you may want to check them out.

Old 10-29-2009 | 04:40 AM
b13mini
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Okay on the interior, my only comment can be IMHO I don't like either one and that is why i have not commented on that until now.
Do you have the piano black? Just not a fan of how glossy it is, it will show everything! But I like the look of it in the car.

Old 10-29-2009 | 04:50 AM
C H I C K L E T
6th Gear
Interior, I would go with the regular silver if its not an "S" checkered finish.
The Xenons should suffice for the normal driver unless you drive down very dark roads. Xenons come with the sport package. Rear fogs, I don't have them on my current Clubman but I ordered them on my 2010. I had them on a previous vehicle and used them very a few different purposes. For the mirror covers, I would leave them silver paint (if thats what you're ordering). Chrome caps tend to chip a little easier because they are "softer".

Welcome to NAM!

Old 10-29-2009 | 05:09 AM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Where is the chrome you speak of? I can't find pictures of it anywhere! Two rear bumper Chrome trim parts? Where?
Using the MINI USA configuration tool there are two minis top center in the Config. window, one front left quarter view and one rear left quarter view. As you configure your car, click the rear quarter mini symbol to see what the rear of the car will look like with each option.

Old 10-29-2009 | 05:12 AM
b13mini
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by C H I C K L E T
Xenons come with the sport package.

Welcome to NAM!
Only included on the Clubman S, ordering a Justa.

And as far as the rear view, could not discern any rear chrome at first due to my color choice. Took me forever to realize it was on either side of the lic plate.

Old 10-29-2009 | 05:17 AM
C H I C K L E T
6th Gear
Only included on the Clubman S, ordering a Justa.

And as far as the rear view, could not discern any rear chrome at first due to my color choice. Took me forever to realize it was on either side of the lic plate.
Gotcha!

Old 10-29-2009 | 05:26 AM
b13mini
|
4th Gear
Chicklet

What are you ordering for your new Clubman? What did you not like about your first DS?

Old 10-29-2009 | 05:39 AM
C H I C K L E T
6th Gear
Its going to be almost the same car. NO premium pack. Just convenience, sport and cold weather. Changing the R99 wheels to webspokes. Added the Harmon Kardon, anthracite, alarm and rear fogs. No black jack mirrors. Swapping the JCW front strut bar over. Don't like the sunroof.

Last edited by C H I C K L E T; 10-29-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-29-2009 | 08:07 AM
MINI Diva
1st Gear
I think the interior is entirely up to you since the 3 choices are pretty close - all silver coloured. You can only see the pattern of it up close. I personally like the glossy finish of the fluid silver. My MA was telling me to get the piano black, but since I have a dog, I thought he would scratch up the piano black too noticeably and the fluid silver seemed to not show as much (I actually tried scratching the sample at the dealership with my nail =P).

Old 10-29-2009 | 09:22 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Do you have the piano black? Just not a fan of how glossy it is, it will show everything! But I like the look of it in the car.
No i have English Oak I am not a fan of the Piano Black either. I like to go more old school with wood grains and leather or leather/cloth.