R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 W Post reviewer doesn't like the Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009 | 08:00 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
But he is having it both ways...

Originally Posted by KdF
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...102303274.html

And here he defends his review. Gotta repect anyone who holds his ground. Agree or not.
He puts the clubman in a market it's not just because it'd different than the coupe. Then he hits the Huyndai for poor performance, ignores the SIGNIFICANT difference in gas mileage and handling and pronounced the Huyndai the better car. Well, it is if you want a 4 door wagon, that's for sure! but if you value gas mileage or handling or power, it's not. At least he should have the ***** to admit it.

Matt

Old 11-03-2009 | 10:41 AM
tdiguy
1st Gear
I was the happy owner of a 1990 Hyundai Excel; lasted 10 years, 106K and I bought 1 transmission seal in that time. Cheap, reliable, and never let me down.

So, before buying my Clubman, I drove (among many others) that Elantra Touring. And thought it duller than my old Excel (at 3 times the cost.) Just felt sloppy and cheap through and through. No pep, no spark. I would have had to special order the manual tran, so i didn't experience that, but with an automatic it was a wobbly and boring el-cheapo box.

And then we went on vacation and our rental was an Elantra, and it made us quite glad we bought the Clubman. Not a single regret so far....

Old 11-03-2009 | 12:17 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
He has no choice at all. !!!!!

That guy is writing just what he is told to write because the advertising dollars are all that count.
It is not even his opinion. He is not going to lose his job saying the cars are both different and unique. They are both very good cars but if anyone actually drove each one I'll bet they would pick the Clubman every time. That is if they are not being paid to pick the Hyundai.
Those advertising morons are always comparing cars to a Mini Cooper.
Cadilac, Suzuki, and now I have seen a comercial comparing a GMC suv to a Mini.
If the Mini Coopers are not any good ,why do they always use one to compare their cars.
Mini is not even a very large issue when it comes to the number of cars produced.
A Mini is just a very solid good driving small car that gets fantastic fuel economy and is more actual fun to own and drive then just about anything out there that it is affordable to own and affordable to insure is a great feature.
The clubman is very comfortable for four people to ride in. Try a Saturn where you sit on the floor.
Advertising pays his weekly paycheck so don't pay much attention to his so called expertise. He does have to pay for his personal "MINI"
Ronnie948