R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 W Post reviewer doesn't like the Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009 | 07:28 AM
hooknew
|
2nd Gear
W Post reviewer doesn't like the Clubman

He owns a Mini Cooper but is disappointed with the Clubman. Instead, he recommends Hyundai Elantra as an alternative. He also says that premium fuel is required in base Clubman (wrong!):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...102303326.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2009102303360

Old 10-30-2009 | 07:48 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Well with all the error's in his article he really did not do his homework.

This is unfortunate but just about every review I have ever read on the Clubman has been rittled with errors.

All i can say is that i love mine.

Old 10-30-2009 | 08:06 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Well, We all should know this !!!!!

The review was done by a person that works for a business that sells advertisments to either Hyundai or the Hyundai Dealer. If BMW/Mini would pay for costly advertising in more places they would get better reviews in more places. It is just the way it has always been.
I have yet to find a person that does not like their Mini. I see a lot of Mini owners have replaced their older Mini's with another Mini. That ought to tell people something.
I love my JCW and do not even think of another brand car.
Motor trend has put over 18,000 miles on their long term Clubman JCW test and the only complaint so far has been a lady did not have any place to put her arm because of no arm rest. I wonder why she just don't keep both hands on the steering wheel like she is supposed to do for proper safe driving. Over 18,000 miles with no out of pocket expenses other then putting new tires on a car is pretty good if you ask me.

Old 10-30-2009 | 08:29 AM
taysan
2nd Gear
Question about 'premium' fuel - my base Clubman specifies 91 octane fuel, which at least in Canada, boils down to the best fuel you can buy from any gas station. Most companies here sell 3 octane levels of fuel, maxing out at 91 (94 at Sunoco).

So at least here, I'm stuck paying a good 15% extra for 'premium' gas. I don't mind, and would put it in regardless, but it is required based on the specs from MINI.

Aside from that I agree with everyone - the reviewer is a goof. He sums it up himself when he says he had unrealistic expectations. No kidding. This is NOT a competitor to 4 door urban wagons. It is a slightly larger MINI, capable of carrying 4 adults.

Try putting 4 adults into a MINI Cooper. I'm so happy the Clubman came out when it did, as we were just in the market for a new car in the last year or so, but our daughter kept us from considering the MINI. The Clubman is PERFECT for our Toronto needs. Nice and small in my compact garage, great to park downtown, good on gas, fun to drive, and can carry a few things when needed. I've hauled lumber home from Home Depot in it.

No match for my previous Honda Civic hatch for hauling stuff, but a heck of a better car. They are not competitors. MINI has no competition - it's a unique car

Old 10-30-2009 | 09:13 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Except that if you read the manual (unless it has changed for 2010 models) it states "MINI recommends 91 octane" it does not say it is required. This is inthe 2008 and 2009 USA version of the manual.

So I run 87 or the cheapest i can get and get great performance out of it. In fact i have run higher octane for 9 full (13 gallon plus) tanks to make sure lower octane fuel was out of the system and when i did i got worse gas milage and the car did not run well at all. I used Shell Premium form two different stations with not so good results, so i went back to the cheap stuff from the corner station, don't eve know what the brand is and the car runs great.

So the MINI does not require premium gasoline.

Old 10-30-2009 | 11:09 AM
spoon
1st Gear
Hyundai vs Mini?

Needless to say, no comparison

Old 10-31-2009 | 06:36 AM
vereinmann
2nd Gear
meh, not going to sway my decision... Clubman S will be coming to my driveway in less than 5 months

Old 10-31-2009 | 06:57 AM
richs10
5th Gear
What a silly review. A Hyundai Elantra? Really? No, Really?

What really gets me is that the Post is my local paper of choice and I see that the comments section on this article has been closed even though it was just published last Sunday.

Old 10-31-2009 | 08:47 AM
dewarner
1st Gear
Washington Post Review Misses the Point

I managed to get my comment printed before it closed. This is my response:
This review missed the point of the MINI Cooper Clubman. Sure the Clubman was designed to carry more stuff than a standard MINI Cooper, but it was not made to compete in terms of space with any of the vehicles mentioned. The Clubman, like any MINI is incredibly fun to drive and inspires a fierce loyalty among owners that would not even be understood among the people who would purchase those other cars. I have owned the "S" version for about 2 1/2 months, and have found it to be the most fun to drive of any vehicle I have owned since the two Triumphs I owned in the 70's. The point of this vehicle is that both the handling and the acceleration are incredible while still getting good mileage, and now being able to transport larger cargo such as my 90 lb. Lab.

Old 10-31-2009 | 09:38 AM
vereinmann
2nd Gear
well said dewarner!

Old 10-31-2009 | 10:05 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Print media is dead. It was the Washington Post...have they done anything since WaterGate?

Old 10-31-2009 | 10:35 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
I own a Justa Clubman, and we just bought an Elantra Touring back in March. Nice car, but they are not comparable cars. Silly review. The Clubman has way more urban acceleration, and in general, is a much peppier car. In the Elantra Touring, the steering is not sporty, the motor sounds ordinary, and power is not conveyed to the driver. I guess I prefer the doors on the Hyundai. Other than that- It's a big, pleasant, reliable box. Not sporty, not fun, just pleasant.

Old 10-31-2009 | 10:47 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I too read the review...

and what surprises me isn't that they said the Hyundai was a more practical car (let's face it, it is) but that the author is a Mini owner and really seemed to miss the whole intended market of the Mini Clubman vs the Hyundai.

Seems to me that he wanted the practicality of a small 4 door hatch but didn't buy one. Why he was surprised that what he got didn't act like a 4 door hatch is baffling.

Also, he totally glossed over the fact that the Clubbie got 23% better gas mileage than the Hyundai. That's about $1000 dollars a year in gas savings..

But with the hokey frequency output of the Mini head unit, I'm not surprised that he liked the stereo in any other car better!

Anyway, the review sucked, not because he didn't like the Clubman (not liking a car is OK by me, there are a lot I don't like that are totally fine to others). It's just his logic was so flawed. I'm surprised it got past the editor.

Matt

Old 10-31-2009 | 12:23 PM
spoon
1st Gear
Depreciation

Another plus for Mini not mentioned in the article... incredible resale value!

Old 10-31-2009 | 05:00 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
[quote=hooknew;2909162]W Post reviewer doesn't like the Clubman ; He owns a Mini Cooper but is disappointed with the Clubman. Instead, he recommends Hyundai Elantra as an alternative. He also says that premium fuel is required in base Clubman (wrong!):

That's ok. I don't really care for the WP anyways. Ignoring is recommended.

Old 10-31-2009 | 06:25 PM
ricbow
5th Gear
we all know what we got..let them eat hyundai--. my next car will be a mini or alfa rameo

Old 11-01-2009 | 02:57 PM
accordselux
4th Gear
It's like the R53's telling the R56's that theirs is not as good of a MINI. Now the R56's and the R53's can share a common bond of snobbery that the R55 is not a "real MINI". The post writer probably had their opinions on the car before they opened the damned door.

Oh noes, i'm crying myself to sleep at night that someone doesn't like my car. Sniff sniff.

Anyone got a tissue?

Old 11-01-2009 | 03:57 PM
nrc
2nd Gear
If my wife found out that someone called the Clubman an "urban wagon" she might just call and cancel her order. She has a strong aversion to the "w" word.

Old 11-01-2009 | 06:40 PM
accordselux
4th Gear
Originally Posted by nrc
If my wife found out that someone called the Clubman an "urban wagon" she might just call and cancel her order. She has a strong aversion to the "w" word.
I embrace it. I love wagons.

I'd drive myself off a cliff in a minivan or SUV.

Mazdaspeed3, Subaru forester XT, mazda6 V6 wagon, Audi S4 Avant, etc. Pure awesome.

Old 11-02-2009 | 09:02 AM
miniemee
3rd Gear
The review was a little off base in that the two vehicles are perceived to be in two different value classes, however this does not change the fact that a clubman looks way too slab sided and has zero cuteness or appeal when compared to an R56. The first time I saw the R55 body style turned me off.

Old 11-02-2009 | 10:00 AM
taysan
2nd Gear
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I behold a Clubman and think its beautiful.

Truth is I prefer the styling of the Clubman over the 'non-Clubman' MINI. I like the roofline, I like the extended windows, I like the vertical rear end

I am getting a bit tired of MINI simply changing everything from the A-pillars back though in their styling exercises. The Crossman or whatever they're calling the new little 4x4 model will be an interesting thing to see in terms of how the final front end treatment looks.

I think they should have done something more interesting with the front end of the little 2 seater concept.

Old 11-02-2009 | 10:42 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
But if they'd done that...

Originally Posted by taysan
I think they should have done something more interesting with the front end of the little 2 seater concept.
Then the tooling costs would have skyrocketed and we'd end up with a $50k car. At that price, we'd all just go buy Caymans and Boxters!

Matt

Old 11-02-2009 | 10:48 AM
mbu
4th Gear
Hmmmm....let's see his review of the 2009 Hyundai Elantra...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...073103313.html

Last edited by mbu; 11-10-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-02-2009 | 03:53 PM
KdF
2nd Gear
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...102303274.html

And here he defends his review. Gotta repect anyone who holds his ground. Agree or not.

Old 11-02-2009 | 05:23 PM
CJP
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by accordselux
I embrace it. I love wagons.

I'd drive myself off a cliff in a minivan or SUV.
You and me both accordselux!

Quick Reply: R55 W Post reviewer doesn't like the Clubman