R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Left my sunroof open...totaled my Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:08 PM
sian421
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left my sunroof open...totaled my Clubman

So I am officially an idiot. Had a HB 09 Clubman that I just got in April. It was a beautiful day last Monday, and had the sunroof open. I totally forgot to close it, and it rained ALL NIGHT - I am talking downpour!! It completely SOAKED the inside, messed up the electrical system, and the insurance company decided to total it.

Of course I will buy another one, but I am now contemplating switching to a regular Cooper. I don't know if I will regret it since I am used to the room in the Clubman. The Clubman was my first MINI. Any advice to lend from maybe someone who has owned both? My hubby is convinced I will regret getting the regular Cooper, but I just like the look of it a little better (although I love both)! I am thinking Chili Red this time...Help!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:44 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Haven't owned a Clubman to compare to, but there's nothing like a Chili Red Hot Hatch to spice things up! BTW, no sunroof...

Old 11-02-2009, 09:22 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well done!

Old 11-02-2009, 09:35 PM
taysan
2nd Gear
hmmm... maybe I need to test my rain-sensor. I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that if you have the rain-sensing option, the sunroof will actually close itself.

Do you ever put anyone in the backseat? If so, I'd buy the Clubman. I also happen to prefer it Smoother ride too.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:41 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by taysan
hmmm... maybe I need to test my rain-sensor. I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that if you have the rain-sensing option, the sunroof will actually close itself.
Really?? I have the rain sensing wipers.

I don't see how that would work if the car is turned off, though.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:52 PM
spoon
1st Gear
I've owned both

I've owned 1st generation hatch and now 2nd generation clubman. You can't go wrong, but I also agree if you want to regularly haul back seat passengers... choose the clubman. I've been surprised with the usefulness of the clubman door.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:57 PM
taysan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva

I honestly thought one of the guys trying to sell me a new MINI told me that - seems I was mistaken.

Would be easy as pie to have engineered it. The rain sensor wouldn't draw any real power and with all the battery management, the MINI could easily close up the windows/sunroof and still maintain enough of a reserve charge to start car (which they also told me the MINI does if you leave the lights on etc.).

Old 11-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Nor_Cal_Mini
2nd Gear
3 MINI's. 02 S, 04 S and 08 Clubman S. Would never buy anything but a Clubman moving forward. Who doesn't want a bit more space. The doors work well, it's more unique, holds more...Barn Doors FTW!

Old 11-02-2009, 11:40 PM
jointheclubman
2nd Gear
Sorry to hear about your first Clubman.
Glad to hear you're getting a second one!
Definitely go for the Clubman. More room is better!

Old 11-03-2009, 05:32 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, a Cabrio might get more attention if left open.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:50 AM
sian421
1st Gear
Thanks for the help! I too wondered why they don't at least have a notification before you get out of the car that the sunroof is open! I would imagine it would be easy to do! Anyway, I am waiting for the insurance company to appraise the the Clubman, and I know they retain their value so we are hoping not to end up upside down on the loan...we didn't get gap insurance! We put a 5K down on it and have been paying more than we owe each month so we are thinking we will be OK. Crossing my fingers though! I am still torn between the two and think I am going to take the reg Cooper out for a test drive to see how it feels since I am so used to the Clubman! Maybe that will help with the decision!

Old 11-03-2009, 06:10 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
Whatever you get, maybe you shouldn't go with the sunroof option this time.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats odd. As MINI took an R57 through a car wash with the top down to show that they are safe in the rain. Even though the car was soaked inside and out, they had no problem driving it away.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:01 AM
taysan
2nd Gear
They should put drain holes in the bottom of the car. Considering the interior bits are likely identical to the convertible, with perhaps the exception of upholstery, you'd think the electrical would be fine with getting wet.

That must have been SOME rain storm.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:12 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
That's a sad story. You should have taken some pix lol. You should get like 90% of your purchase price or close to it IMO so you won't be upside down. I vote for another Clubbie. There was a reason you got one in April

Old 11-03-2009, 09:38 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
so the insurance company is basically getting you another one!? awesome.

Basically if i ever want out i can just pop my roof open lol

sometimes i wish i had a clubman because I occasionally haul stuff. Im the type who likes to only put stuff in the trunk, but I have carried 4 wheels w/ tires no prob and a lot of other things in my MCS

Old 11-04-2009, 11:28 AM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva

You could probably test the theory by leaving your sunroof open and pouring water on the rain sensor... just a suggestion..

Old 11-04-2009, 12:37 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MINIxB
You could probably test the theory by leaving your sunroof open and pouring water on the rain sensor... just a suggestion..

Maybe later...

Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't do it !!!!!!!!!!

When I say don't do it I mean """DON"T GET THE SUN ROOF""""
I think if you dont carry four people a lot getting the hatchback would be OK. I have not driven a clubmen so I don't know if there is much difference in the way they handle. I like my JCW without a sunroof. I just think the body of the car is a lot stiffer without the open roof. It is much cooler in the hot Florida sun without one. My car gets so cold on a hot day that my GF has to wear her jacket.
Ronnie948

Old 11-05-2009, 05:10 PM
37hotrod
1st Gear
Wait...you're seriously going to tell me that a BRITISH car, particularly the ELECTRICAL system doesn't like to get wet??!!?? Must be all the German engineering, coupled with the removal of all the Lucas componentry. Go figure.

Seriously, if you have the option, drive both vehicles before you make a decision. I think you'll stick with the clubman, since you originally chose one to begin with. But, I might be a little biased towards the clubman.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:25 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 37hotrod
Wait...you're seriously going to tell me that a BRITISH car, particularly the ELECTRICAL system doesn't like to get wet??!!??
Funny, a friend of mine had a Land Rover Defender 90 a while back and he had the engine steam cleaned when he was trying to sell it... Turns out that wasn't a good idea as he had to get the ecu replaced as it got fried somehow and the replacement had to be imported from England. Turned out to be a $2k+ lesson for him.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
I have a 2007 MCS Coupe. The Clubman wasn't around then. There have been times when I wanted more room for hauling things. I'd heard that the Clubman handled about as well as the Coupe. So, I was having Clubman envy.

When my car was in the shop for a week (cold start rattle) they gave me a Clubman as a loaner. I was really interested to see how it felt, compared to the Coupe. I was very surprised how different the handling felt. Seemed like they'd given me a normal car. The go-cart aspect was gone. I was happy to get my Coupe back.

You will have to decide which is more important, the space or the feel. I'd have a very hard time going with a Clubman. YMMV.

Originally Posted by 37hotrod
Wait...you're seriously going to tell me that a BRITISH car, particularly the ELECTRICAL system doesn't like to get wet??!!?? Must be all the German engineering, coupled with the removal of all the Lucas componentry. Go figure.
My brother had an Austin America (sort of an oversized Mini) that had the distributor (remember when cars had distributors?) on the radiator side of the engine. The distributor was not well sealed from water. So, whenever it rained, the car died. I think the Brits are in denial about rain.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:52 PM
itsminibtch
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
dang this sucks. lesson learned for everyone...never forget sunroof or windows.

as for your decision, i think you'll be happy with either, but i'd definitely try to test drive both again and weigh the personal pros and cons of both.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:43 PM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
When getting my MINI, i did not expect passengers since i'm just 20 without a family and my friends drive too. But it comes to find out i have people in the backseat almost EVERY OTHER DAY, but they never complain; they're usually about 5'8" to 5'11" in height (im shortest among my friends 5'5" ). They always beg to carpool with me instead of all of us slipping into their 4 door sedans, it's a mystery to me.
So if your family consists of 4 or less, without car seats, i'd GO FOR the regular hatchback!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I have both...

and I'm surpised how much 3" of wheel base changes the way the car handles. A bit less crisp in turn in, a lot less chop on slab freeways! Really, you'll do fine with whichever you choose. Drive a coupe to see what you think and think back to how you've used the space in the car. I've done home depot runs with my 02 MCS and hauled tons of stuff home. That said, we drove the Clubbie back to CA from Long Island with both the kids and all the luggage we needed. It was a tight fit, but we made it. I don't know how that would have worked with the 02 coupe.

We have two small kid with carseats. Funny thing is the older one (almost 5) prefers the coupe even though she has less leg room! It's easier to put the kids into the Clubman, but only one of them needs help with the belts now.

Matt

Quick Reply: R55 Left my sunroof open...totaled my Clubman