R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 DoMore vs MiniFini for bikes only

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 06:39 AM
tdiguy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DoMore vs MiniFini for bikes only

I had posted on this a while ago and have read all the many posts (and not so many replies) that I can find. I had thought the Minifini was the solution I wanted, but now that I'm ready to buy, I see that this will cost me over $800 before installation. That's a lot of dough to take 2 bikes with me on vacation.

I only want the rear solution; no roof racks. And I want something mounted. I plan to take these on some long trips and want them securely attached to the rack and the rack securely attached to the car.

So, can someone tell me why I want one rather than the other? I understand the versatility the Minifini provides, but I don't see myself hauling or towing anything else.

If I missed another thorough discussion of the various pluses and minuses, I apologize.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:10 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The choice was easy for me, as MiniFini doesn't make a hitch for the Clubman

And other than that, the thing I like about MidiDoMore hitches is that they are standard square receiver. So any additionnal equipement you want to buy elsewhere will fit. With MiniFini, you are pretty much set in stone with their own accessories

Old 11-04-2009, 11:47 AM
markmaxwell
2nd Gear
I ordered the MiniDoMore hitch for my Clubman. They're on sale now for $190(I think) shipped. You can buy a nice Yakima or Thule hitch rack for $200 or less and your set for less than half the cost of the Minifini system.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:53 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MyroMini
The choice was easy for me, as MiniFini doesn't make a hitch for the Clubman
Well actually MiniFini does sell a hitch for the clubman. See these links here.

http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=29

http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=51

http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=52

http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=53

http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=54

http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=55

http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=58

Originally Posted by MyroMini
And other than that, the thing I like about MidiDoMore hitches is that they are standard square receiver. So any additionnal equipement you want to buy elsewhere will fit. With MiniFini, you are pretty much set in stone with their own accessories
Not true at all as they provide a 1/-1/4" and a 2" receiver style hitch mount.

I will admit that the prices are A LOT higher for the MiniFini stuff but it is also very well designed and engineered.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:05 PM
taysan
2nd Gear
Wow - VERY expensive. I ordered the MiniDoMore. $175 shipped with their $50 off promotion. And when it hit the Canadian border I didn't end up paying any taxes So my total cost was $175 landed, and now I just have to install it.

I don't know how much better the MiniFini stuff could be to justify a $700+ cost for the same thing.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:10 PM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Well actually MiniFini does sell a hitch for the clubman. See these links here.
My bad. But when I purchased my hitch, back in April, they did not have a product for the Clubman

Not true at all as they provide a 1/-1/4" and a 2" receiver style hitch mount.
Well, again, this was not originally offered

I will admit that the prices are A LOT higher for the MiniFini stuff but it is also very well designed and engineered.
You could say that again. To get to the same level of the MiniDoMore 190$ hitch, I would need the U (395$) + U1 (238$) + U4 (82$). That's a lot of $$$

Also, I like that my hitch is completely hidden when not using it.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Alto Clef
2nd Gear
There is an alternative you may want to consider: my Clubman was the "test fit" for a new Clubman-specific hitch made by Curt Mfg. They installed in early October, and it should be available any time now in the general market. NAM vendor Dustin (AutoX Cooper) offers the Curt hitch for all other MINI's at $114.99 + $35 shipping, and he might be able to generate a price for you. Email Dustin at info@autoxcooper.com.

The Curt hitch is the same "hidden" style as the MiniDoMore, but has safety chain loops built onto the hitch frame itself, rather than putting them on the drawbar (MiniDoMore's are on the drawbar). I think it may only be offered in 1.25" receiver size, but I might be wrong. Mine is 1.25". If you're looking at a bike rack with that size receiver mount, you should be good.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:51 PM
zsqure
3rd Gear
Mini do more for me, install was a snap and it is covered by your license plate when not in use. Besides, you should see the looks at the boat ramp when I pull up with my clubby pulling the seadoo speedster.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:47 AM
zsqure
3rd Gear
This kind of bike?

Attached Thumbnails DoMore vs MiniFini for bikes only-minibreeze.jpg  
Old 11-14-2009, 11:07 AM
playtowin
2nd Gear
I have the minidomore with a Saris Thelma rack and it's great. I've taken it on a 1500 mile road trip with no problems.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:35 PM
tdiguy
1st Gear
Well, as my mentor had the MiniFini, I was leaning that way. Expensive, yes indeed. But there is always the fantasy that I might do other things with it. And I actually like the way it looks! Both with bikes and without. If the sun ever comes out I might post a photo.

So I got it, and it is awesome. A solid, incredibly well-designed piece of hardware, that is easy on and very sturdy. (Well packaged and shipped fast as well--good service all around.) I am grateful for all the feedback here, but I think i will be very happy with this addition.