R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 A 2009 vs 2010 dilemma!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 04:55 AM
isthar
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 2009 vs 2010 dilemma!

Oh oh...

I have an opportunity here (clubman s). Narrowed down to what is making the decision difficult:

2009 from showroom, or 2010 custom order
Leatherette, or Leather
No traction control, or with traction control
Default sound system, or H/K sound system
Chili Red w/ Red Roof, or CR with Black Roof

Here are my thoughts so far:

the 09 vs 10 difference, no big deal. This car is for keeps, the model year changes don't matter, and of course, this is part of where the big savings take place!

the TC vs no TC -- I think I can forgive it fairly easily: i've had TC in my car for the last five years, and it's a pretty simple one -- just cuts throttle when wheel spin occurs. Only happens when I floor it (and usually I meant to turn it off!). Is the mini 2009 TC also "basic like this", or am I really giving up something big? I don't think so. I don't worry about how people will think of this in the future, again, this is a keeper not a reseller.

Sound system: at first when I found out (it happened because premium pkg in 09 vs 10 includes the sound system) I thought this was a deal killer!
Now, some reading and I find out that "hey, the mini hifi option isnt obviously worth the cost" + "just upgrade speakers".
Finally, a reality check. I used to love listening to my tunes loud and crisp (I have a bose system right now in my car, and I added a 12" sub for a while). Nowadays, with a toddler in the car half the time and a short commute, loud music is no more. OTOH I don't want /complete/ garbage sound that I can never replace. If speaker upgrades really do affect it enough to say "oh wow this sounds nice" (no need for thump or anything so much) then I can accept this.

Finally, the biggie, leather/leatherette. I've had leather for the last five years. The 'cushy' part of it helps (even in a car that isn't exactly the best for long drives)... a 07 mini cooper we once had, I felt the leatherette was "thin". Leather, I believe, might help that. OTOH, I have to admit, the COST of leather isn't negligible on a custom order either!

Oh, and the roof color. :-( at the loss of black roof (I loved how it looked) but I could accept it as it's not like it looks horrible w/ a red roof either, and today I drive a completely red car, and never mind it. Bonus I suppose that it won't heat as much, hard to keep clean, etc.

Any thoughts from people here?

edit: I should mention the other two "shortcomings" of the 09, but they are repairable:
no auto dim mirror (accessory)
no rooster red line (I found out you can order them as 'parts')

And, goes without saying, there's a PRETTY BIG $$ difference between the two.

Last edited by isthar; 12-01-2009 at 05:02 AM. Reason: two other things
Old 12-01-2009, 05:34 AM
C H I C K L E T
6th Gear
Ordering a car just like you want it is always a plus. BUT...if you can save thousands on a year-end close out (and be happy with it)...then its worth it.

The TC on the 09 is fine. I have a sport EDLC on my 2010 and haven't used it (don't know how it performs yet).

For the sound system, I'm in the same boat as you...I have a toddler and too much bass is not an option. My first Clubbie had the regular sound. Not bad and not the best...did what I needed it to do. For my 2010...I had to add the Harmon Kardon. Never listen to it before but it is well WORTH it.

Leather/leatherette, I've driven Minis with both. A loaner with leatherette was uncomfortable and made my back sweat a little. My 09 Clubbie has leather and it was very nice. I like the quality. For my 2010, I ordered cloth seats with the cold weather package. The cloth seats are more comfortable than the leather and leatherette. I love the fact that the seats don't freeze me when I get in on a cold day plus they are heated!

I love the black roof contrast. But it will show scratches easier than a white/silver/red color match roof.

You have several things that you would change about the 09 on the lot. I don't know how much they are giving you off the 09 so I can't say if settling for the 09 is worth it. Ordering a 2010 will be the exact car you want but no break on the price.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:29 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Heres my opinion. I could have done an 08 off the lot or an 09. I went 09

IF id have gone 08 id have a much lower mileage (well about correct) 08, vs my high mileage 09 (30K)... You drive alot?

Leatherette is awesome. Durable and looks great IMO. THere are a few reports of the leather (punch leather) seats flaking after some time, but thatll be a warranty issue if anything

Does it have a sunroof??...Black roof is a MUST if so... blends right in.
If it doesnt have one...then the CR roof is going to look sweeeet and also the black is prone to bird crap and bug etching towards the windshield....NO i didnt let the stuff sit on there long. I carry quick detailer in the trunk lol. These have some incredibly soft paint.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:34 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About the sound system ... MINI have just released a new sound system, which is supposedly MUCH better than the "HiFi" system in '07-'09 cars

Old 12-01-2009, 06:58 AM
taysan
2nd Gear
Fundamentally doesn't it come down to how much you want to spend?

If the money isn't an issue, go nuts and order the 2010. If you plan on selling it in a few years, in my opinion, the 2010 will be worth more than the 2009, even with the same mileage (or at least it will be an easier sell).

I lucked out personally, and got a 2008 Clubman with 5000 miles on it with every option (non-S) including the tuscan leather (which I wouldn't recommend as it is already discoloring from my dark jeans). Paid $25800 (Canadian) for a car that would have run $33000 + $2000 of dealer prep. Plus in Canada we have 2 taxes - Provincial and Federal, and the Fed tax is only payable on new cars, so I saved another $1600 there.

So my cost was $27,800 after tax on the 1 year used car that cost the original owner $40,000. Too much savings to pass up, as even a base model with no options is $26K + $2K prep + 13% taxes = $32,000.

Again, I got lucky as the car had a lot of the options that I would have never paid for, and I got them for free. Wasn't exactly what I would have ordered color-wise (BRG with silver roof, Tuscan leather, piano black trim), but it's a great looking car and we love it.

I have the auto-dimming mirror and frankly it gets pretty darn dark. Almost too much so.

Not sure what the price difference is, but if it's big enough:

- Buy new speakers for the car
- Have the roof painted black (they're all painted one color at the factory and then taped off/painted again for the roof)

Old 12-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by isthar
2009 from showroom, or 2010 custom order
MINI now has three sound system: standard, HIFI, and H/K. The standard is very poor, HIFI is poor, and H/K is supposed to be good (I haven't heard it). I got the HIFI. I first tried replacing the HIFI speakers, wasn't satisfied and put in $1,500 worth of amp and speakers. Moral, go for the H/K system. I don't listen to it loud, I just like it to sound better than mud.

Leatherette, or Leather
Like the look of Redwood and Tuscan leather, but ended up with cloth. So, don't know how well the MINI leather holds up. I Don't like the look of the MINI leatherette. Some say it is sticky in hot weather. Besides, I hate to see the poor naugas killed just for their hide.

No traction control, or with traction control
Get the DTC option. This offers a traction control system that is more intelligent (and efficient) than the old ASC that just cuts engine power. DTC also gives you control over turning off various electronic systems, if you want to AutoX, or something.

Default sound system, or H/K sound system
H/K. Otherwise, expect to pay $3,000 for a professional install, or don't listen to audio in the car.

Chili Red w/ Red Roof, or CR with Black Roof
I prefer the look of red roof. Put some big black aftermarket stripes on it if you want a more aggressive look. Black roof will be hotter, and harder to clean. If you are getting the sunroof, I still think red would look better.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Figfuggo
2nd Gear
Deal breaker for me would be the leather vs leatherette. Leather is cool, but leatherette is like sitting in a condom. Well, the entire time you're driving your car, the only part you come in contact with (hopefully) is the seat. To me, its the only option worth spending the extra money on. You won't regret it.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:19 PM
isthar
5th Gear
Just to close the loop -- I got the '09, and am very happy:

leather/leatherette -- I went to a dealer with a friend, and we sat on leather, cloth/leather, leatherette and lounge leather.

IMHO only cloth is the one you say "ahh, comfy". All others are "hmm, a bit hard". The leather is very nice looking, but felt the same except that the headrest felt nicer. Lounge leather wasn't enough of an upgrade.

Audio, I'm fine given my life situation; I had my loud music a few years back, now just being able to plug in my ipod is good enough. It's actually not even that terrible, I mean it has 'some' bass.

Red roof I actually love it with the roofs! and stripes, looks like a great red/black combo all around.

No homelink -- I just bought a tiny $20 remote on amazon.

No auto-dim, that I think I'll miss the most.

No red interior line. I'm buying the parts little by little, or will swap with someone, so nothing that bad.

What matters is that I finally have a mini of my dreams!

Old 12-09-2009, 06:33 PM
sarafil
4th Gear

leather/leatherette -- I went to a dealer with a friend, and we sat on leather, cloth/leather, leatherette and lounge leather.

IMHO only cloth is the one you say "ahh, comfy". All others are "hmm, a bit hard". The leather is very nice looking, but felt the same except that the headrest felt nicer. Lounge leather wasn't enough of an upgrade.

Audio, I'm fine given my life situation; I had my loud music a few years back, now just being able to plug in my ipod is good enough. It's actually not even that terrible, I mean it has 'some' bass.

Red roof I actually love it with the roofs! and stripes, looks like a great red/black combo all around.

No homelink -- I just bought a tiny $20 remote on amazon.

No auto-dim, that I think I'll miss the most.

No red interior line. I'm buying the parts little by little, or will swap with someone, so nothing that bad.

What matters is that I finally have a mini of my dreams!
Congrats!

Any pics of the all-red?

Old 12-10-2009, 05:05 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
The little amazon remote? Just for a garage door right?... I ask because i've got a crappy garage, but they gave me this gigantic (5"X3"X1") remote and i HATE it...

Old 12-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Figfuggo
2nd Gear
Aha! Looks like congratulations is in order, then!