R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 CLubman S in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:03 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, 21,000 on my RFT's...happily replaced those with Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grids...hopefully will be seeing how they do in Snow this PM...predicted here in the Portland area!!

Old 12-30-2009, 03:48 AM
minilovr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwebber18
His tire job should give it more edges to bite into the snow with and the larger spaces will let it fling out more snow instead of letting it pack on smooth rubber. Granted I don't know how well it would really help though.
That is exactly the logic I used in undertaking this project. I also am not sure how much it helps. I do know however, that after placing the cut tires on the front, there was a significant improvement in hydroplaning resistance and there is quite a bit more tire noise from the front. Both those indicators tell me something good is happening here. What surprised me most though, is that I've not noticed any loss of traction in the dry during hard cornering. Considering it cost me $0.00, I would have to label this project a success.

Last edited by minilovr; 12-30-2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 12-30-2009, 07:12 AM
icedub
1st Gear
I picked up a set of 16" Mini Bridgespokes with Dunlop Wintersport SP tires from this forum for $450 over the summer. I was visiting family in Nothern VT for the holidays and had the first chance to drive my Clubman (The Toad) in the snow. She did a great job- I will echo the other posters here- With the proper tires and knowledge, any car will be good in the snow.

Here's a tip: If you have a stick shift, and are in really slippery conditions, it may be difficult to start out. You can start in second gear to reduce the torque to the front wheels for a smoother start in the snow.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:04 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THIS CAR IS AMAZING IN THE SNOW!!

Originally Posted by RJKimbell
Yep, 21,000 on my RFT's...happily replaced those with Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grids...hopefully will be seeing how they do in Snow this PM...predicted here in the Portland area!!
Well Molly and I got to play in the SNOW (2-4")...I got off work 15min. early 'cause of the Storm. It hit PDX Later Afternoon...while others were stuck in GridLock for up to 6hrs. Molly and I got home in 1hr.20min.!!
For a 16 mile commute that ain't to bad!! There was a 23 mile back up on the Freeways...over 1,000 cars were abandoned, Buses did not get chained up in the PM and were sideways blocking streets, Steep on/off Ramps were impassable...cars were strewn all over.

Here's a link to the Local News channel seems someone sent this in...
http://www.katu.com/home/video/80307832.html

Last edited by RJKimbell; 01-01-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:58 PM
mattmed03
2nd Gear
michelin primacy alpins worked

recently got a winter tire package from tirerack. had the dunlop OEM summer high performance tires (dsst?) that came on the 17 inch webspokes. These were awful in the snow as my winter wheels arrived after our first indiana winter storm. Could barely stay on the road or get up the curb on my slightly up hill drive way in and inch or 2 of snow/slush. ordered 16 inch enkei wheels with michelin primacy alpin runflats and installed them a couple weeks ago on ziggy. Let me tell you...the ride is dramatically better and quieter. The traction light rarely comes on even in snow. It takes me nearly flooring it to get it to come on. It obviously does do corners on dry pavement near as go karty as with the HP summers. I am actually amazed and fairly confident. It feels like it has more traction than our honda odyssey with AS tires and even better than our old honda pilot 4x4 goodyear SUV tires on it. anyway...just my 2 cents.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:53 AM
lambholm
Neutral
has anyone found a spare which fits in the rear compartment so that run-flats are not necessary?

Old 01-03-2010, 03:35 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by lambholm
has anyone found a spare which fits in the rear compartment so that run-flats are not necessary?
yes there are a few threads on this subject hear. the dealer make one and some of the toyota work.

search is your friend here.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:18 PM
bad venge
4th Gear
Easiest to find is the Honda Civic spare tire... Picked up one for $20 at the junkyard

Old 01-11-2010, 11:59 AM
MiniCarver
1st Gear
Originally Posted by runninbeer
LOL. Are you trying to sell one? Very capable? If you cant give honest feedback you are really doing a injustice to everyone on this form. Some people might believe you... You have never driven up a steep hill on a slippery surface with the traction control on..... My guess is it must be perfectly flat in New England. Why would you suggest driving in 10 inches of snow when the mini has only 5 inches of clearance, you make it sound like its camparable to a lifted jeep wrangler. LOL at 4WD vechiles stuck in the snow getting mad as you drive by.... You should put a plow on the front to clear the way for them.
I Mini Club S is really good in snow (with Toyo Garit KX snows on it), but as stated, anything over 5 inches in depth and she ploughs badly. 10" of snow, I don't think so.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
Boston with all-season tires - 16". No problems in snow with my Justa. My Madza Miata is a different story all together........

Old 03-13-2010, 09:59 AM
MiniCarver
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Shoof
Let's just say that it would make it for a very exciting driving experience. I think it might be a little too exciting for me to want to attempt. You will be able to drive it and move around a bit, but it will be very slippery. The two times I drove a car with summer tires on snow was one, trying to pull my S2000 (2 winters ago) out of the driveway to clean up the snow around it, that attempt took me about 45 minutes to pull it out, which was all of about 20 feet on an incline, and surrounded by 2 walls (scroll up to see the pic of my Clubman buried in the snow to see what my driveway looks like). The other time was driving my GS300 (like 7 years ago) to work, the car was sliding all over the place. I didn't realize that it was a summer tire on the car, because it wasnt anything special, it was a touring tire that the car happened to come with, and I didn't even think of anything when getting the car that it would have summer tires on it. I promptly changed them to an Ultra High Performance A/S Tire (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S at the time) and they were the world of a difference better than the other tires in all seasons. Mind you both cars were RWD, so that made it even more challenging.
Just noticed you have a rear wing on your Mini. does that help keep the back window clean of dust and grime? Mine get covered in the winter on wet roads in about 4 minutes.