R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Bike rack: Roof or Hitch? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:43 PM
gbooks
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bike rack: Roof or Hitch? Why?

I've decided to start riding again (after many years off the bike). What is everyone's pros and cons for roof rack vs. hitch rack?

Thanks!

Old 12-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Project Mangler
3rd Gear
Hitch, because that's what I bought for my Element because it's too tall to easily put bikes on top of. If I had only the Mini, I'd probably go roof. Easier to install than a hitch, Mini is nice and low so no access problem, no blocking the barn doors, and you can carry skis/snowboards.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Alto Clef
2nd Gear
When we bought our recumbent tandem (10 ft long) six years ago, we had to build a shed, 'cuz it wouldn't fit in the one-car garage, and buy a SportsRig trailer (collapsible so it fits in said garage), 'cuz we didn't want to kill ourselves lifting it onto a car roof. It is a bit of an inconvenience installing a hitch when you get a new car, but worth it for us. And we may decide to tow one of those tiny camper trailers someday...

And we'd never ride together without this tandem; best purchase we've made, except the Clubman, of course.

Attached Thumbnails Bike rack:  Roof or Hitch?  Why?-img_0172.jpg  
Old 12-14-2009, 10:55 PM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
I prefer the roof, keeps the bike away for other cars bumpers and the tires away from the hot exhaust. I also don't like having the frame in a holder where the paint can get messed or the frame itself dented.

the Drawback to the roof is that you need to be aware that they are up there and not dork out and drive into a garage or carport

Old 12-15-2009, 04:31 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
i would go with a hitch mount as you can get some bike racks that swing away and still allow access to the barn doors and that then leave the roof for things like a box for camping equip or kayaks etc.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:34 PM
taysan
2nd Gear
Hitch is cheaper too IMHO, especially if you're carrying multiple bikes. Each bike carrier can cost as much as a hitch-mounted carrier that can haul 3 bikes.

A hitch is more versatile too, is hidden when not in use, doesn't risk your paint, etc. etc. etc. If you ski however, then a roof rack is probably better with a box.

I decided on a hitch as I didn't like the idea of my 5' 2" wife lifting her bike over her head to get onto the roof while at the same time keeping an eye on our 8 year old daughter. That, and I might at some point put my motorcycles on a trailer and haul them somewhere like Deals Gap. It's a 2 day ride for me to get there on the bike, vs. a 1 day drive hauling them

Old 12-15-2009, 12:40 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by taysan
That, and I might at some point put my motorcycles on a trailer and haul them somewhere like Deals Gap. It's a 2 day ride for me to get there on the bike, vs. a 1 day drive hauling them
Not to get to far off subject here but then you can have the best of both drives on the gap

Old 12-15-2009, 01:05 PM
tdiguy
1st Gear
I agonized (well, not really, but sure gave it a lot of thought) and read and researched and decided and changed my mind.

My bike shop guy told me that I will eventually drop a bike on the roof and scratch or damage the sunroof. It will happen, and I will be very sad. My wife was powerfully influenced by this arguement. And ther eis the question of those pesky front wheels; this is not a large car. Do I want to pack two wheels inside with our stuff?

About a week after this conversation my sons were driving to Chicago with a friend and 3 bikes on the roof. The driver pulled in to get gas and cruuunch, tore the seat off his bike. As he is 6'3" and my sons both under 5'10", only his bike was damaged, but this sure took the fun out of lake shore cycling.

Enough for me. We bought the Minifini rack, which is very (!) expensive. But wow, is it solid. Easy to use, well-designed, and I could drive the bikes to Alaska without worrying about them. The rack is secure, the bikes are secure, and with a little care are nowhere near the paint.

On my old car the rack was attached with straps, and the bikes to the rack with bungee cords. I was always a bit nervous going down the highway, especially as I have seen millions of bungee cords on the road while cycling. And a quick slice to 4 straps and someone could be off (not very conveniently, but rapidly) with our bikes. So whenever we stopped at a restaurant we always sat so we could look out the window and watch. No such worries here. No one is taking anything off this rack.

So far at least, no regrets on this decision.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:12 PM
tdiguy
1st Gear
Sorry--it seemed to hang, so I canceled and resubmitted, and went twice......

Last edited by tdiguy; 12-15-2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Duplicate entry
Old 12-15-2009, 01:37 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say rack over hitch, but my main reason is that I find hitches to be quite unattractive. No real world experience to speak of (I don't ride), but from an aesthetic perspective...rack.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:32 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Originally Posted by tdiguy
We bought the Minifini rack, which is very (!) expensive. But wow, is it solid. Easy to use, well-designed, and I could drive the bikes to Alaska without worrying about them. The rack is secure, the bikes are secure, and with a little care are nowhere near the paint.
You can also get a Curt Hitch or MINI Do More Hitch system for your Clubman and then any of dozens of rack systems for bikes, ski's and baskets for your hitch. When not in use the hitch can't been seen. Win-Win and you save cash too.

Last edited by MLPearson79; 01-04-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:07 PM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tdiguy
I agonized (well, not really, but sure gave it a lot of thought) and read and researched and decided and changed my mind.

My bike shop guy told me that I will eventually drop a bike on the roof and scratch or damage the sunroof. It will happen, and I will be very sad. My wife was powerfully influenced by this arguement. And ther eis the question of those pesky front wheels; this is not a large car. Do I want to pack two wheels inside with our stuff?

About a week after this conversation my sons were driving to Chicago with a friend and 3 bikes on the roof. The driver pulled in to get gas and cruuunch, tore the seat off his bike. As he is 6'3" and my sons both under 5'10", only his bike was damaged, but this sure took the fun out of lake shore cycling.

Enough for me. We bought the Minifini rack, which is very (!) expensive. But wow, is it solid. Easy to use, well-designed, and I could drive the bikes to Alaska without worrying about them. The rack is secure, the bikes are secure, and with a little care are nowhere near the paint.

On my old car the rack was attached with straps, and the bikes to the rack with bungee cords. I was always a bit nervous going down the highway, especially as I have seen millions of bungee cords on the road while cycling. And a quick slice to 4 straps and someone could be off (not very conveniently, but rapidly) with our bikes. So whenever we stopped at a restaurant we always sat so we could look out the window and watch. No such worries here. No one is taking anything off this rack.

I know you made your decision but I just have to reply.

In 10 years of century rides, triathlon, and hard core cycling I have never dropped a bike on my roof, how hard is it to hold a 20lb road bike or even a 30 pound mt bike? as for where to put the front wheel? you put it on the rack in a wheel holder that mounts to the crossbar

Old 12-17-2009, 04:08 AM
minimarine
2nd Gear
The MINI seems perfect for a roof rack, since the height of the car is far more reasonable than most. I'm a short guy ad I have no problems getting it on the roof rack. I could not say the same about many other vehicles.

I had a "hatch" mount on my GTI, which was very nice, but I still think the bike is far more secure on the roof.

I love my roof rack. Leave the hitch models for the SUVs.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:51 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BuzzCut1

In 10 years of century rides, triathlon, and hard core cycling I have never dropped a bike on my roof, how hard is it to hold a 20lb road bike or even a 30 pound mt bike? as for where to put the front wheel? you put it on the rack in a wheel holder that mounts to the crossbar

For those of us unlucky not to be able to spec roof rails I think the hitch is the way to go as the Mini rack is generally a pain, ugly, and not so solid. If I had the roof rails I'd just plonk my Yakima setup up there and be done with it but for now they're on my wife's X3...

Personally I'm going to go the Minidomore route I think so that I can pull a trailer with a lawn tractor also.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:04 AM
sgtjosh
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BuzzCut1

I agree.

Mounting your bike on the roof isn't difficult at all... And my Clubman certainly piggybacks more than its fair share of stuff.

But I suppose everyone should simply get what works for them, really.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:42 PM
6thGear
4th Gear
I know this is an old thread, but quite relavent regardless of age. Last year I used an OEM rack for the summer and at the end of the summer when I took the rack off, I found that the pads of the rack feet had rubbed off the paint where it was in contact. Luckily the dealership was nice enough to fix the paint issue because they had installed the rack.

This year I dont want to have to deal with the same issue so I am going to try a hitch solution.

So if I had to vote right now, I would go with the rear hitch solution based purely on not having paint scratching issues with a roof rack.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:11 PM
wodock
Neutral
I went with the roof racks and so far love them.

Attached Thumbnails Bike rack:  Roof or Hitch?  Why?-image-749633600.jpg  
Old 05-30-2014, 11:17 PM
dongood
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my R53 I use the Saris Bones RS trunk rack.

http://www.saris.com/product/bones-rs

The Bones RS rack is easy to take on and off the car. I ride 3-5 times a week and have used this rack for over 4 years.

Only downside is the rubber feet do mark up the finish. However a good detail takes care of that.

For my roadster I will be installing the Mini Fini hitch. It's significantly more expensive than the Mini Demore or Curt, but for me it looks better.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:40 AM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went with a curt hitch. I've used it for towing a trailer carrying a bicycle and attached a cargo carrier to carry suitcases after picking up relatives from the airport.

Who says a MINI is not a practical vehicle.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:35 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hitch

I too went both directions Pros verses Cons.

Roof - If you forget they are up there, and people do, and they drive into the garage and total the bikes. Also they will be bug covered on the roof. The Pros are the if rear ended the bikes are safe. Con - gas mileage.

Hitch - Can't forget like going through a drive through at McD's and taking them off the car. No bugs. Much better gas mileage. Depends on bikes and weight and convenience. Older people have more difficulty with roof racks.

I have several bikes one of which is a Brompton made in England. The smallest folding bike and worth researching. Mine is a 6 speed and great for those bike paths at the park and they work if you are over 6 ft tall. Check out www.brompton.com

Madone Project One
Six Series
Di2 electronic shifting
Dura-Ace
Mini Hich - Mini Fini
Car - S Coupe

Old 05-31-2014, 09:44 AM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Every time I see a similar thread here I always come up with the same decision as the OP - trailer hitch. I rarely desire to take a bike far away since there are so many nice places to ride near my house, but when I do it is with friends who can drag my bike along with them. I really miss my truck, and 4-5 times a year I want a small trailer to carry stuff across town so one day I will get one of these. I looked at the procedures for installing it, and definitely want to pay someone to do it for me, just have not found anyone local yet to do it. I don't want it to be their first crack at it and I won't pay dealer prices either.