R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Picked up my Clubman yesterday...a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 06:21 AM
macct
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Picked up my Clubman yesterday...a few questions

Yesterday was a good day. I took the train with my son and picked up my Clubman. Delivery went smoothly, albeit I am sure I won't remember everything MA recommended. I do, however, have a few questions.

1) I have 17" all season runflats and I was surprised the recommended air pressure was 41 (door jam is 41/44). I have to say the ride was a little more jarring than I remembered from my test drives. Maybe the 25 degree weather was a partial factor. Anyway, I noticed in the manual that a non-S clubman with the same tire/wheel size shows psi of 38. Any idea why the difference for the same tire/wheel combo? What pressure do you have your runflats at?

2) Has anyone found a good way to conceal their iPod & wires? I was disappointed that the only option is at the bottom of the dash. I was hoping that I would have connections in either the concealed compartment or armrest.

3) I thought I read a post about a smaller roof antenna. Is one available?

Overall, I am really happy. I only wish the weather better today, so I could take it out.

I have also included a few photos of my new car.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:32 AM
Darryl_J
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I demand that you guys stop with the "just picked up my new Mini" threads!

Mine isn't due for another couple of weeks, and quite frankly, it's damned hard waiting. Posts about other people getting theirs (no pun intended), don't help.

Because I just know that everyone is going to abide by this request, I'll thank you all in advance.

Oh yeah, just remembered: I have some swampland in Florida that I can let you have for a good price...

--
Darryl

Old 12-20-2009, 07:49 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
41 is the highest I've heard of. The 17" tires on my 2007 MCS wanted 38 psi. The 16" runflats on my 2009 MCC want 32 psi. I'm sure that's no help....

But you have a very pretty ride

Old 12-20-2009, 08:40 AM
proximal
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by macct
3) I thought I read a post about a smaller roof antenna. Is one available?
There are many.

Alta: http://www.altaperformance.com/produ...Shorty-R56-R55 (coupon code 'holiday29' will get you 20% off)
Craven: http://www.cravenspeed.com/index.php?productID=90

Old 12-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Figfuggo
2nd Gear
Old 12-20-2009, 09:13 AM
JRide6
1st Gear
Nice MINI! What dealer did you get it from?

Old 12-20-2009, 11:06 AM
ATCQL
5th Gear
Same comments as old bear,your choice of R/Blk are great,of course i am partial,my 07 had the same look.I have since moved on to a red on red Clubman as pictured below.Q

Old 12-20-2009, 12:47 PM
amusingdream
2nd Gear
2) i stopped using the Ipod and its wires and switched to an 8GB thumbdrive. It takes up almost no room at all and dosent require any cords. It holds a nice amount of music and it is simple to switch up the contents. Finally, i dont have to worry about a stranger bothering to break in and "borrow" it.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:38 PM
macct
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by proximal
There are many.

Alta: http://www.altaperformance.com/produ...Shorty-R56-R55 (coupon code 'holiday29' will get you 20% off)
Craven: http://www.cravenspeed.com/index.php?productID=90
Thank you for the information. I ordered one today.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:38 PM
macct
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JRide6
Nice MINI! What dealer did you get it from?
Mini of Fairfield County

Old 12-20-2009, 01:44 PM
macct
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by amusingdream
2) i stopped using the Ipod and its wires and switched to an 8GB thumbdrive. It takes up almost no room at all and dosent require any cords. It holds a nice amount of music and it is simple to switch up the contents. Finally, i dont have to worry about a stranger bothering to break in and "borrow" it.
Thank you. I really didn't give that a thought, never finding a need for a thumbdrive in the past. I think I'll try it, though. I like the idea of it being inconspicuous.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:38 PM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by amusingdream
The thumb drive option is WAY cheaper, smaller at times (some thumb drives are down right tiny tiny), and less likely to be stolen than an iPod. I have been using a thumb drive for some time now and have found it to be an ideal solution. I will do the same when my MINI comes in!

CONGRATS on the new car! Looking goooood!!!!!

Old 12-20-2009, 08:56 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Congratulations on your new MINI, have fun and hope the snow doesn't hang around too long.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:07 AM
jmusic
2nd Gear
Old 12-21-2009, 05:10 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
On my MCS it says 38 on the door and I ran them at like 34... felt a little better. they are wearing perfectly...though theyre on my summer wheels and now I get the pleasure of Non-RF's all winter at about the same 34

Old 12-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Shoof
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

2) Has anyone found a good way to conceal their iPod & wires? I was disappointed that the only option is at the bottom of the dash. I was hoping that I would have connections in either the concealed compartment or armrest.
Congrats on the new ride!

To answer the above question, I have my iPod in the mesh pocket where the passenger's footwell is. I do have my iPod wrapped in a black cloth so it can't be seen from outside and through the mesh holes. I also have my windows lightly tinted (35%), so you really can't see the wires at all if you were to peer into my window when parked.

Good luck!

Old 12-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Xeraux
4th Gear
What's the config for the USB thumb drive option? Does it recognise folders or do you have to just dump all the music files into the root directory?

Old 12-23-2009, 10:27 AM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Xeraux
What's the config for the USB thumb drive option? Does it recognise folders or do you have to just dump all the music files into the root directory?
I don't have my MINI yet but on my current car's Sony radio it recognizes folders with names etc...just like an mp3 player would. Very easy to use and deal with. I usually have several folders with varying types of music (classical, rock, jazz, pop, hip hop, top 100 etc...) and then I also have a folder with nothing but album folders in it (Enya, Barbara Streisand, Kenny G) LOLOLOL. But seriously, I would imagine the MINI radio works the same way...ANYONE?

Old 12-23-2009, 10:42 AM
LiLReD1
4th Gear
Congrats! I like yer stripes much better than mine!

Old 12-23-2009, 11:14 AM
isthar
5th Gear
Yesterday was a good day. I took the train with my son and picked up my Clubman. Delivery went smoothly, albeit I am sure I won't remember everything MA recommended. I do, however, have a few questions.
First, congrats! I picked up mine Dec 5 and I'm loving it. Close to yours -- Red/Red, you got the black roof. I love the decals on the roof!!!

I use an ipod mini, tuck it into an ipod sleeve (buy one anywhere) and then put it in the passenger foot area, side mesh thats right near the connector. The wires can run "from behind" too.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Xeraux
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jbrowland
I don't have my MINI yet but on my current car's Sony radio it recognizes folders with names etc...just like an mp3 player would. Very easy to use and deal with. I usually have several folders with varying types of music (classical, rock, jazz, pop, hip hop, top 100 etc...) and then I also have a folder with nothing but album folders in it (Enya, Barbara Streisand, Kenny G) LOLOLOL. But seriously, I would imagine the MINI radio works the same way...ANYONE?
I suspect you're correct about that.

I'll probably be switching from an 8GB iPod Nano to a 16GB USB thumb drive I've just got laying around. I don't really care about the iPod, it's just much less risk of getting broken into.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:59 PM
LiLReD1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Xeraux
I'll probably be switching from an 8GB iPod Nano to a 16GB USB thumb drive I've just got laying around. I don't really care about the iPod, it's just much less risk of getting broken into.
Agreed. I haven't used a thumb drive yet (hasn't worked for me yet), but if you use the head unit to find your music, and not the iPod itself, I don't see the reason for even using an iPod for the application.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:01 AM
bad venge
4th Gear
My dealer offered me an ipod adapter that resides in the "hidden" compartment above the glovebox (where the CD changer goes

Old 12-24-2009, 03:11 PM
isthar
5th Gear
BTW, that Mini decal for the sunroof -- did that come from the mini catalog? I've seen the full-roof ones, but not others.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:21 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
noce ride

Quick Reply: R55 Picked up my Clubman yesterday...a few questions