R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman Bonnet Stripes - Good Price

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 05:16 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Clubman Bonnet Stripes - Good Price

I just installed bonnet stripes on my Clubman S and I feel compelled to tell everyone how happy I am with the company I purchased them from.

I got them from Rocky Mountain Graphics https://www.rockymountaingraphics.co...sp?category=10

I paid 34.99 for the set and a couple of bucks to ship them. They're a high quality vinyl and perfectly cut to size. I used a wet application to apply them and it literally took less than 45 minutes to install.

When I purchased my Clubman, the dealer wanted 250.00 installed. I just thought it was a LITTLE high!!

I chose to order from Rocky Mountain Graphics, not knowing them, the quality and service. As said, the quality is VERY good and the shipping took like 3 days from start to finish.

So, if you need bonnet stripes and you don't want to break the bank, try them, i have to say, you will not be unhappy.

I will post some pictures of the completed job when I get a sunny day.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Mabbottusmc
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a great deal! Good find and thanks for sharing!

Old 01-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Headlands
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent! I've been looking for this. Thanks for posting it.

The dealer told me $300 and I actually laughed right there. No, thanks!

Old 01-24-2010, 04:45 PM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
$400 installed in NYC at the stealer.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 AM
taysan
2nd Gear
Did your Clubman bonnet stripes come pre-cut for your hood scoop?

I have a non-S Clubman and would order their stripe package in a heartbeat if the bonnet stripes came un-cut so I could use them. I've emailed them but figured I'd ask someone who actually ordered a set.

Did you have factory stripes on already? I do, and am not sure about removing them safely.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:07 AM
shadyyu
2nd Gear
It was a super deal! Post some pic!

Old 01-25-2010, 05:48 PM
jgohlke
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by taysan
Did you have factory stripes on already? I do, and am not sure about removing them safely.
If you want to remove vinyl from your car, the easiest way is to let it sit in the sun and get good and warm. (wait until summer!) You can use a heat gun and a heated garage, but it will take longer. Mostly likely the existing stripes will peel right off. In cold weather, they are more apt to tear. This won't hurt anything, just makes it more tedious to get them off. The stripes themselves shouldn't have harmed your paint. Damage from vinyl removal is usually done by the impatient remover.....

Old 01-25-2010, 06:28 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Here are some pics of the Installed Rocky Mountain Graphics

I added the 1/8" Silver Pinstripe on top of the outside edge of the Vinyl stripe, came out really good.

I'm just not a big fan of the stripes without some sort of border, they look unfinished.

I removed the Bonnet Scoop and upper grill trim when installing and let the vinyl finish under these parts. There is JUST enough vinyl to put it underneath. Around the belt line I trimmed with a sharp razor and pushed it under a little. It finished well also.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:44 AM
bimmermeup
1st Gear
Border is a touch touch. Lookin' good.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:06 AM
bentyyc
5th Gear
Looks good! I like the boarder too!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:13 AM
Xeraux
4th Gear
Originally Posted by slimjimtell

I added the 1/8" Silver Pinstripe on top of the outside edge of the Vinyl stripe, came out really good.

I'm just not a big fan of the stripes without some sort of border, they look unfinished.

I removed the Bonnet Scoop and upper grill trim when installing and let the vinyl finish under these parts. There is JUST enough vinyl to put it underneath. Around the belt line I trimmed with a sharp razor and pushed it under a little. It finished well also.

That looks really good!

Old 01-26-2010, 02:30 PM
dewarner
1st Gear
Clubman S Sport Stripes

Unfortunately I already purchased the Sport Stripes kit from the dealer before seeing your post. I am debating whether to try to install them myself. The dealer wants $250 to install, and local installers want at least $175. Can you post installation instructions or a link on how to do a wet installation?

Thanks -

Old 01-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Kimbo80
4th Gear
Originally Posted by slimjimtell

Did you install the boot stripes as well, and are they also from Rocky Mountain? If you did was there any cutting involved or did they come pre-cut?

Old 01-26-2010, 07:09 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Kimbo80
Did you install the boot stripes as well, and are they also from Rocky Mountain? If you did was there any cutting involved or did they come pre-cut?
Everything is PRE-CUT. I did Trim with a razor knife on the top of the bonnet near the belt line. and on the boot stripes along the belt line. Other than that, everything is pretty easy.

YES, they do come with pre cut boot stripes

Old 01-26-2010, 07:15 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dewarner
Unfortunately I already purchased the Sport Stripes kit from the dealer before seeing your post. I am debating whether to try to install them myself. The dealer wants $250 to install, and local installers want at least $175. Can you post installation instructions or a link on how to do a wet installation?

Thanks -
I will post COMPLETE instructions tomorrow on how to apply. It truly is VERY easy, by taking your time and being extremely patient!! The WET application gives you plenty of room to move and position the stripes before locking them down.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:50 PM
taysan
2nd Gear
It's a shame the bonnet stripes are pre-cut for the scoop. Would probably be cheaper for them to make them as two full length stripes and let the installer trim around the scoop, and it would make them compatible with non-scoop hoods like on my Clubman.

Ah well - will be looking for a different supplier.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:02 PM
spoon
1st Gear
Looks Great!

Looks wonderful, the color combination is sharp!

Did you order the silver pinstripe option from Rocky Mountain, or did you add manually yourself?

Also, I am considering the Mini Cooper bonnet stripes (or checkered) from Rocky Mountain, any reason why that wouldn't fit on my Clubman S hood? Or do I need to order the Clubman Dual Stripes?

Thanks slimjimtell. This is a very cost effective option to simply add stripes to my new Clubman!

Old 01-27-2010, 03:34 AM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Originally Posted by taysan
It's a shame the bonnet stripes are pre-cut for the scoop. Would probably be cheaper for them to make them as two full length stripes and let the installer trim around the scoop, and it would make them compatible with non-scoop hoods like on my Clubman.

Ah well - will be looking for a different supplier.
Email RMG and I am sure he would make you a set of stripes for a Justa clubman. All he would need is the bonnet length.

Trust me for those with an S model, you want it pre cut. The less trimming, the better.

And YES, the Mini Cooper stripes WILL work on clubman, it's the same bonnet on both cars. Boot stripes could work with some cutting and fitting.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:20 AM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Bonnet Stripes (SPORT STRIPES FOR CLUBMAN) Install Instructions

Bonnet Stripes (SPORT STRIPES FOR CLUBMAN) Install Instructions

Things you will need:
1. Spray Bottle full of water with a few drops of Baby Shampoo, not too much, just enough to make it soapy and slick.
2. Application Squeegee (I used a RUBBER Squeegee from LOWES with a plastic handle) do not use a hard plastic squeegee as it could scratch the vinyl
3. Ruler
4. Rubbing Alcohol
5. Clean Rag
6. Hobby Knife or razor blade
7. Phillips Head Screw Driver
8. Plenty of time and patience
9. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RUSH, you have plenty of time to work with the vinyl while it is wet.

Instructions

WASH YOUR CAR and dry well
NOTE: TAKE EXTRA TIME TO CLEAN UNDER THE BELT LINE AND UNDER AND AROUND THE WIPERS ON THE BOOT AS THIS AREA TENDS TO COLLECT A LOT OF DIRT, SAND AND GRIME. IF YOU DON'T CLEAN REALLY WELL, YOU CAN GET GRIT UNDER THE VINYL
Remove the Bonnet Scoop being careful not to break any tabs. (remove 1 phillips head screw, squeeze the gray tab that is behind the screw you just removed with a set of needle nose pliers. While squeezing…push up with needle nose pliers just enough to dislodge the gray tab. You should be able to pull gently on the bonnet scoop starting in the middle and working your way to the right and around until it is free from the bonnet. DON’T JERK, pull gently.

Remove the upper grill trim that is attached to the Bonnet (remove the 4 screws, start at one end from the underside and slide and push each tab, you will see the trim raising up off of the Bonnet. Work your way across the bonnet and it will come off.

Place parts in an area where you will NOT damage them.

Starting with the Bonnet it is in 4 pieces (2 stripes, 2 pieces die cut around MINI LOGO)

You will be applying the 2 die cut pieces around the LOGO first
Clean the area around the logo with Rubbing Alcohol and a soft cloth. Allow to dry
DO NOT USE PAPER TOWELS, they leave lint!!
Remove the first die cut piece from the backing
Lay it on a flat CLEAN, DRY counter with the Adhesive side UP
Spray it well with the Soapy Water Solution.
Spray the area on the bonnet in which you are going to apply this piece
Position the die-cut vinyl on the applied area, now you can move and slide it around until you get it where you want it. (they should fit snuggly around the logo)
I suggest getting both pieces around the logo on at the same time so you can get it centered and exactly the way you want it.
Once it is in place you can GENTLY use the squeegee to push out the water from under the decal. Once you hit it once with the squeegee, you will see it adhere itself to the bonnet. YES you can still lift it off if needed. Just re wet it and re apply.

NOTE: be VERY careful around the LOGO area with your squeegee, ALWAYS squeegee towards the LOGO, if you go the other way it can fold up the little pieces.

NOTE: The top of the vinyl will extend under the SCOOP area and the bottom will extend UNDER the molding area.

NOTE: I actually used a clean dry rag to get all the water out of the tight areas. Just keep rubbing and pushing down GENTLY with the rag on the edges and they will start to adhere. This is where PATIENCE COMES IN!!

At the is point you should have both small pieces on the bonnet adhered…I can tell, there is a smile of accomplishment and WOW that looks pretty damn good!!

NEXT, the stripes
Measure the INSIDE dimensions between the two pieces you just adhered. This is how wide to set the stripes apart.
There is a hole where the Bonnet scoop gray tab goes into, use this as your center point. It was center on my clubman.
Find the center at the belt line as well. I use a piece of string to get the center.
Clean the area with Rubbing Alcohol and a soft cloth. Allow to dry
DO NOT USE PAPER TOWELS, they leave lint!!
Remove the first stripe from the backing
Lay it on a flat CLEAN, DRY counter with the Adhesive side UP
Spray it well with the Soapy Water Solution.
Spray the area on the bonnet in which you are going to apply this piece
Position the die-cut vinyl on the applied area, now you can move and slide it around until you get it where you want it.
I suggest getting both stripes on at the same time so you can get it centered and exactly the way you want it. Stand back and check how straight it is.
Once it is in place you can GENTLY use the squeegee to push out the water from under the decal. Once you hit it once with the squeegee, you will see it adhere itself to the bonnet. YES you can still lift it off if needed. Just re wet it and re apply.
The toughest part is around the belt line, keep using your rag to get rub the water out.
You will have to trim with the razor flush up against the rubber seal on the belt line.
Once trimmed, push more water out and try to get it to lay flat and adhere, again…PATIENCE HERE.

BOOT
The boot is applied the same way,
Start around the wipers

Last edited by slimjimtell; 03-06-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:13 AM
dewarner
1st Gear
Clubman Bonnet Stripes

You provided great, detailed instructions re: how to install the stripes. You made it sound do-able.

Questions - what is the lowest temperature it is safe to do this procedure in since my garage is not heated? Also, how long should the stripes dry before driving?

Thanks -

Old 01-27-2010, 08:56 AM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dewarner
You provided great, detailed instructions re: how to install the stripes. You made it sound do-able.

Questions - what is the lowest temperature it is safe to do this procedure in since my garage is not heated? Also, how long should the stripes dry before driving?

Thanks -
If your garage is less than 40 degrees, I would get a space heater. Anything above 40 you should have NO issues the Hotter it is, the harder it is to apply due to the quick drying times.

You will need to go easy on them for one day, if the temp is cooler than 75, you may need a little more time for them to dry.

Wait 2-3 days before washing.

Last edited by slimjimtell; 01-27-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:19 AM
dewarner
1st Gear
Clubman Bonnet Stripes

Thanks, I am definitely going to try the installation.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:35 AM
MauriceW
1st Gear
slimjim,
thanks for your detailed instructions and review! I think I have found the next accessory to have waiting for when my clubman gets in.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:52 AM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
NOTE:
If you are installing a KIT other than from RMG, there may be several differences.

#1 There may be a PRE-MASK over the graphic. This is to protect the vinyl when Squeegeeing. This is for DRY application. If you are using wet application, remove the premask and discard before wetting. again USE A RUBBER SQUEEGEE WITHOUT A METAL HANDLE.

#2 The fitment around the LOGO on the Bonnet may be a little different. THE RMG stripes fit snuggly under the LOGO. I have seen some that have a little Gap around the logo. It will be your decision as to how it fits.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:03 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
My dealership only charges 100 bucks for bonnet stripes install... I think sport stripes are a little bit more...

Quick Reply: R55 Clubman Bonnet Stripes - Good Price