R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Proper tire rotation on a Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010 | 10:19 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
rlw,

From what I've read, even though the front tires on an AWD handle the majority of the load as you note, putting the best tires on the back is still recommended for the general population in emergency braking/maneuvering situations, especially in a corner/change in direction. It is in that situation when you want your best tires in the rear in order to prevent an oversteer (and probably more likely a snap oversteer) from developing. The vast majority of drivers don't understand what will induce oversteer or how to handle it should it occur and in most panic situations, the average driver is going to take actions that induce oversteer. So for the same reason cars are built with understeer, the "industry" recommends keeping your best tires on the rear in order to try to maintain that understeer.

Old 02-04-2010 | 10:41 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rlw
But your recommnedation does not pass the "sniff" test. Please educate me...
When traction is compromised (eg, wet pavement), the tires with less tread lose traction first. If you happen to be turning and the rear tires lose traction first, the car will oversteer. A highly skilled driver could probably cope with most oversteer situations. But the rest of us would instinctively react the wrong way by trying to slow down, which would aggravate the oversteer, and ultimately lead to loss of control. Especially in a panic situation like trying to avoid something on the road.

Conversely, if the front tires lose traction first, the car will understeer. The instinctive reaction to slow down would be beneficial in this case and it would be much easier to regain control.

Old 02-04-2010 | 06:25 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
I've rotated my tires twice already (front to back) with no problems. I'm getting a strut replaced today and they're going to check the alignment too, it'll be interesting to see if it needs to be aligned at 11,200 miles...
Well they checked my alignment and it was off after 11,200 miles. They adjusted it and I have to say the car feels great now, more balanced and like it did when it was new. It wasn't pulling left or right but it just didn't feel like it did when it was new. They recommend you align it every 8000 miles; well worth it I'd say...

Old 02-05-2010 | 05:20 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
Several responded to my post with variations on this theme:

>> If you happen to be turning and the rear tires lose traction first, the car will oversteer. A highly skilled driver could probably cope with most oversteer situations. But the rest of us would instinctively react the wrong way by trying to slow down, which would aggravate the oversteer, and ultimately lead to loss of control. <<

Woo-hoo! Count me among the "highly skilled" drivers!! [smile] I still remember as a kid practicing the "bootlegger turn" with my parents' vehicles - shhhh, please don't tell them that I pulled these shenanigans!

For those of you not familiar with this manuever, here's what you do:

1) Find a nice, flat 2-lane road
2) Get the car up to a "reasonable" speed, say 60 mph
3) Jerk the wheel hard left while at the same time engaging the parking brake. (Keep in mind, my parents' cars had foot operated parking brakes)
4) The back end of the car will snap around quite smartly 180 degrees.
5) About 1/2 way thru the 180 deg. turn, you begin to counter-steer and then release the parking brake.
6) If you've done it properly, you should now be facing in the opposite direction your were previously and going backwards.
7) Gun the motor and get the hell out of there.

I *certainly* do NOT recommend that anyone try to do this on public roads. But, it *does* work and is mighty impressive to any and all passengers you might have with you.

The Mini, with its hand-controlled parking brake, is a *much* easier car in which to do this. I actually had a legitimate reason to partially use this procedure about 2 weeks ago. We had VERY slick roads around here (Washington, DC) and as I made a left turn the car began plowing (understeering) like mad. I feared I was going to tag the curb, so I quickly gave a yank on the parking brake and then released it. The Mini's back end snapped around and I was now heading straight and was able to avoid a disastrous curb crash.

I would recommend that those of you who have not practiced manuevers such as this should do so. Wait for a decent snowstorm (or heavy rain) and then find a nice, big, empty parking lot and go at it. If you are any kind of driver at all, you should be able to master it with 7 or 8 tries. Once you do, you'll find that it is BIG-TIME FUN, and you'll want to do it again and again. As long as no one else is in the parking lot, go for it!!

Old 02-05-2010 | 01:00 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Thanks, but I think I'll take a pass on rotating my Clubman 180 degrees at 60 mph!

Old 02-05-2010 | 03:29 PM
isthar
5th Gear
FYI to add to the manual quotes, my 2009 (so far this thread quoted a 2010 and a 2008) says not to rotate, just like the 2008 manual reads.

Those with 2010 manuals, can you quote EXACTLY what is written? photo?

Old 02-06-2010 | 04:43 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
I think these quotes from the manual have to be more specific. It is possible that there is a contradiction within same manual because I have a 2009 Clubman and the manual indicates that you can rotate the tires. So....which is it ? Are we both reading different sections of the manual ?

Here is what I am reading: Owner's Manual Mini Clubman; Issued 2009 (Check and make sure when your manual was issued); Pg 101 - End of 1st column: Section - "Swapping wheels among the axles", 2nd para: "In order to maintain an even wear and tear, the wheels may be rotated between the axles. Your MINI Dealer will be glad to advise you." The 3rd para then states: "Always check the inflation pressure after the tire rotation. If necessary change the pressure."

Old 02-06-2010 | 06:42 AM
Surfink
4th Gear
My online manual for my 2009 from MINI USA has a date of 08/08. On page 104 it states the manufacturer of vehicle does not recommend swapping tires from axle to axle.
Goodyear, the tire manufacturer recommends front to back every 5000 miles for even wear and tire life...

Old 02-06-2010 | 09:04 AM
klricks
4th Gear
This is from the 2009 Clubman manual which I downloaded from the Owners Lounge section of the MINIUSA web site:

Online Edition for Part no. 01 41 2 601 017 - © 08/08 BMW AG

This is the last page of the Wheels and Tires section on page 104.
------------
Swapping wheels among the axles
The manufacturer of your MINI recommends that you do not swap the front wheels with the rear wheels as this may impair the handling of you MINI.
-------------

I used the search tool and the word, rotate or rotated, is not found in the entire manual.
My 2010 Clubman has not been delivered yet so I don't have a hard copy to look at.
The online version of the 2010 manual is not available yet.

Old 02-06-2010 | 10:03 AM
kalililly
3rd Gear
Full quote from a 2010 manual:

"Swapping wheels among the axles

Depending on the individual use, front and rear tires may exhibit different wear and tear.

In order to maintain an even wear and tear, the wheels may be rotated between the axles. Your MINI dealer will be glad to advise you.

Always check the inflation pressure after the tire rotation, if necessary change the pressure."

Clint

Old 02-07-2010 | 01:57 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Regardless what Mini says, if you want your tires to last longer you'll rotate them. If have money to throw away on new tires don't. Nothing's going to happen because you rotate them but if you don't, you'll wear your front tires away rather quickly.

Old 02-08-2010 | 08:29 AM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
No one has mentioned this, so I'll add it to the mix. While it is counter intuitive about best tires on the rear, that rule is consistently applied. If you want to put snow tires on your Mini, you must buy four. They will not sell you just two for your front wheels. Conversely, on a rear wheel drive car, they will sell you just two snow tires for the rear axle. I'm sure there are ways to weasel around the two for a Mini, but a reputable dealer will not sell to you.

Old 02-22-2010 | 05:44 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
Well they checked my alignment and it was off after 11,200 miles. They adjusted it and I have to say the car feels great now, more balanced and like it did when it was new. It wasn't pulling left or right but it just didn't feel like it did when it was new. They recommend you align it every 8000 miles; well worth it I'd say...
I'm glad that this worked out so well for you.

Sorry to be so dense...,but,
was this done by the dealer under warranty?
I have 8K+ on my 09 Clubman S and have never had my run flat tires rotated.
I do keep them inflated properly, but threads like this lead me to believe it is time for rotation and alignment.
I hope that my dealer considers it routine maintenance and will cover it.

Old 05-08-2010 | 06:13 PM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Question for fellow Clubby owners out there: has anyone moved the front wheels and tires to the rear and moved the rears to the front, keeping them on the same side of the car and on the same rims rather than the normal criss-cross thing that you would do on a non-MINI?

I'm at 9K miles and am seeing a little bit of wear on the fronts. I have been 'fairly easy' on the car while still having some fun , but no burnouts or track time.

I probably should have done something around 5 or 6K, but now I think I should move the fronts to the rear and rears to the front.

Opinions?

Old 05-08-2010 | 06:22 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Depending on the tires you have onthe car you may not be aable to Criss-Cross the tires. If they are directional tires they can only go front to back on the same side.

But to you question I did not rotat my tires at all and they acataully wore pretty evenly front to back, an yes i did some track time and a fair amount of very spirited driving.

But if you are seeing some wear that you do not like rotat your tires. Some people do some don't.

Old 05-08-2010 | 06:31 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minicoopermike
Question for fellow Clubby owners out there: has anyone moved the front wheels and tires to the rear and moved the rears to the front, keeping them on the same side of the car and on the same rims rather than the normal criss-cross thing that you would do on a non-MINI?

I'm at 9K miles and am seeing a little bit of wear on the fronts. I have been 'fairly easy' on the car while still having some fun , but no burnouts or track time.

I probably should have done something around 5 or 6K, but now I think I should move the fronts to the rear and rears to the front.

Opinions?
I rotate my tires regularly front to back on my MCS every 5-6k miles. Just did it last night in fact.

Old 06-27-2020 | 07:18 PM
Craig Chapman
Neutral
Originally Posted by Parkerton
I posted this yesterday on the Clubman Wheel thread, but at the risk of hi-jacking the thread, I'll start a new thread here.

Okay, so my Clubbie has 18k miles and I’ve never rotated my tires. A couple weeks ago, I noticed the front tires beginning to get very low on tread…I looked at my back tires and noticed that there was still a good amount of tread on them, so I went to America’s Tire where I bought my aftermarket 17 inch MOMO wheels and Yokohama S Drive tires to have them rotated for the first time (I know, I know…they should be rotated about every 6K). Anyhow, upon getting on the freeway after the tire rotation, I started to hear a lot of road noise and noticed a lot of steering wheel vibration. Turns out my rear tires (now sitting in front) had began to “cup” from not having been rotated for such a long time…”cupping” is where your tires begin to form subtle peaks and valleys.

I’m just hopping that these peaks and valleys will gradually wear down now that my rear tires are in front, but I don’t know if this will happen or if my tires are ruined for good. My wife is complaining about the bumpy ride = ( Anyhow, hope someone learns something from my mistake….get your tires rotated.

************I've since been informed that the MINI manual says that you SHOULDN'T rotate your tires from the front to the back (and vice versa). I looked in my own manual and there it is on page 105. I'm very surprised...I thought front to back tire rotation was standard procedure. What was I supposed to do? The tires I previously had on front had about 20% tread left while the tires in back had about 70% tread left. So just rotating from side to side (and not front to back) wouldn't have done much good.
Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!
Mini Clubman 2010 R55 New Zealand
I tried to rotate my wheels front to back yesterday - The back wheels have a smaller centre hole than the front wheels so would not fit. Maybe aftermarket rims.
My Mini manual on page 104 says you can rotate the tyres ...