R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Cargo area

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010 | 11:01 AM
Murph
|
2nd Gear
Cargo area

I'm already a Mini owner (09 JCW Convertible), which is my wife's car. But I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a JCW Clubman. I need to haul 2 or 3 guitars, a couple of amps (say 24" tall x 30" long x 12" deep) and a 24 channel mixing board (32" x 18" x 6") on a regular basis. Any idea if the Clubman can handle this? Do the rear seats fold completely flat or are they raised above the rear cargo area when folded?

Thanks!
Murph

Old 02-11-2010 | 11:13 AM
Headlands
4th Gear
They fold completely flat. I haul my drum set, which is a 4 piece with a large hardware bag. Don't know if that helps...the best thing to do would be to try it out at the dealer -- that's what I did with my drumset.

Old 02-11-2010 | 11:31 AM
Murph
|
2nd Gear
Thanks Headlands! That's good information. I'm glad to hear they fold flat. I'm pretty sure I'll have enough room back there and, hey....it'll get me out of hauling any PA gear!

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2010 | 11:41 AM
hardingsan
4th Gear
i just measured the back in order to transport a new tv i bought. the opening into the back is 25" tall and 32" across. I'd guess as long as the bulky items are smaller than that you'll be golden.

Old 02-11-2010 | 11:42 AM
Mabbottusmc
2nd Gear
The rear seats fold flat. There is a piece that comes with the car to make the cargo area the same level as the folded seats. Teh corgo has kind of a 3 layer thing, the bottom has the area where the spare or tools would be, the second would be a cover above that and the third would be a cover above that area. I think the clubman should fit all of that.

Old 02-11-2010 | 02:31 PM
Darryl_J
2nd Gear
Whoa! My seats do NOT fold flat. At least, not flat as in a contiguous flat space from the back doors. The folded down seats are a couple of inches higher than the rear cargo floor. So your "raised above the rear cargo area when folded" applies. 2010 Clubman.

You can see this in the thread asking about Clubman cargo floor covers. (Can't think of the thread title right now) where there is a cover for the cargo area and another cover that goes over the folder down rear seats. There's photos in that thread.

Side view of the floor at the back of the car would look something like this:
--------|
<seats> -------------<doors>

But, without measuring, I'd guess that the Clubman could handle your amps, guitars and mixing board. You might have to put the board or the guitars in the front -- more for safety than anything else.

But take a tape measure to the dealership and make your own measurements.

HTH,
--
Darryl

Old 02-11-2010 | 02:52 PM
needcaffeine
1st Gear
they folder flatter than every other car I've had & I can have the seat all the way back when the rear seats are down.(big plus for 6'4" of me)

I figured I could put 8+ cases of wine/beer in the back. I've carried all 4 wheels w/ tires in the back with plenty of space left over.

Old 02-11-2010 | 03:01 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Easy

Just go to your dealer with all of your items and load them into the dealers demo. I'm sure that they won't mind at all.
Ronnie948

Old 02-11-2010 | 04:24 PM
Mabbottusmc
2nd Gear
I got a cargo floor cover to make it flat with my car. You didn't get one? Its great to hide things under!

Originally Posted by Darryl_J
Whoa! My seats do NOT fold flat. At least, not flat as in a contiguous flat space from the back doors. The folded down seats are a couple of inches higher than the rear cargo floor. So your "raised above the rear cargo area when folded" applies. 2010 Clubman.

You can see this in the thread asking about Clubman cargo floor covers. (Can't think of the thread title right now) where there is a cover for the cargo area and another cover that goes over the folder down rear seats. There's photos in that thread.

Side view of the floor at the back of the car would look something like this:
--------|
<seats> -------------<doors>

But, without measuring, I'd guess that the Clubman could handle your amps, guitars and mixing board. You might have to put the board or the guitars in the front -- more for safety than anything else.

But take a tape measure to the dealership and make your own measurements.

HTH,
--
Darryl

Old 02-11-2010 | 04:35 PM
bentyyc
5th Gear
My understanding is the fold-flat floor option is not an option, but standard, on US spec cars. It is a true option in other markets (like Canada). I had that box checked on the first car I ordered, but when I changed my order, I forgot about it. The car I have now, does not have that option, and has the height drop as you've described...

Old 02-11-2010 | 06:06 PM
ran-o-matic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bentyyc
My understanding is the fold-flat floor option is not an option, but standard, on US spec cars. It is a true option in other markets (like Canada). I had that box checked on the first car I ordered, but when I changed my order, I forgot about it. The car I have now, does not have that option, and has the height drop as you've described...
You are exactly right. Standard in the US.

Old 02-11-2010 | 06:12 PM
clsharrard
Neutral
"I figured I could put 8+ cases of wine/beer in the back. "

We returned from vacation last fall with 5 cases of wine, a case of sweet potatoes, a country ham, a laptop case, a camera bag, a cooler, and luggage for two for a three week trip.

Old 02-11-2010 | 06:13 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear

Darryl

Darryl

Take your headrests off of the rear seats and the seats will be FLAT. If you leave the headrests ON, you cannot get the seats to lay flat.

I have a 2010 and they are completely flat withOUT the headrests.

Old 02-12-2010 | 06:26 AM
ran-o-matic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by slimjimtell
Darryl

Take your headrests off of the rear seats and the seats will be FLAT. If you leave the headrests ON, you cannot get the seats to lay flat.

I have a 2010 and they are completely flat withOUT the headrests.
Darryl_J is in Canada. The desciption they gave matches exactly a Clubman without the flat load floor, which is optional there.

Old 02-12-2010 | 07:55 AM
Darryl_J
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bentyyc
Damn, I would have ordered that flat-floor option -- if I had known about it. Do the seats actually go lower with the fold-flat option, or do they just raise the cargo area floor to match the height of the folder seats? Or some sort of compromise -- lower seats plus higher cargo floor?

I must ask the Parts dept. when I go in to inquire about the roofrack if there's any possibility of a retro fit if it's just different rear seats that do the trick.

--
Darryl

Old 02-12-2010 | 08:21 AM
Surfink
4th Gear
Darryl, on OEM parts site the pieces are shown on the "Vehicle Trim", "Luggage compartment" diagram for R55Clubman.Prices of pieces on their site are about $520.00..Dealer is usually higher.

Old 02-13-2010 | 12:16 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Yes, your stuff will fit, with room to spare!

Old 02-13-2010 | 03:10 PM
jgohlke
3rd Gear
Damn, I would have ordered that flat-floor option -- if I had known about it. Do the seats actually go lower with the fold-flat option, or do they just raise the cargo area floor to match the height of the folder seats? Or some sort of compromise -- lower seats plus higher cargo floor?

I must ask the Parts dept. when I go in to inquire about the roofrack if there's any possibility of a retro fit if it's just different rear seats that do the trick.

--
Darryl
The seats are the same, the cargo area has a fake floor across it which is level with the seats when they are folded down.

Old 02-13-2010 | 03:36 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Murph
I'm already a Mini owner (09 JCW Convertible), which is my wife's car. But I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a JCW Clubman. I need to haul 2 or 3 guitars, a couple of amps (say 24" tall x 30" long x 12" deep) and a 24 channel mixing board (32" x 18" x 6") on a regular basis. Any idea if the Clubman can handle this? Do the rear seats fold completely flat or are they raised above the rear cargo area when folded?

Thanks!
Murph
Check out this pic, it might help.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...3-post138.html

The entire thread is pretty entertaining. I especially love the gigantic pizza.

Old 02-14-2010 | 07:27 AM
ggonzale
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by needcaffeine
.... I've carried all 4 wheels w/ tires in the back with plenty of space left over.
I think your stuff will fit, just like needcaffeine, I carried my 4 17summer wheels in the back and vacuum cleaner I bought for my garage (16 gallons) last December and still have space (look at my signature picture, you can see the tires in the back)

Old 11-25-2012 | 07:07 AM
alanwrench
1st Gear
Freakin four hunnie for flat floor?

Originally Posted by ran-o-matic
You are exactly right. Standard in the US.
I bought my 09 Clubman this October, used.
It came without the "Floor leveling option".
I checked the price at MINI dealer online.
It was over four hundred dollars.
In the process of making one with some 1/8" veneer and some aluminum angle braces bolted thru for reinforcement. Then Ill coat the thing with 3M spray adhesive and lay some upholstery material I bought from wally-world.
Without it, folding the seats down make a poor surface for hauling.

Last edited by alanwrench; 11-26-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-14-2012 | 11:12 AM
DrivingMyMini
2nd Gear
Hi All,

Boot Comments Needed! Please make a quick comment about cargo space in your MINI: http://goo.gl/IR26H

THANK YOU!

John