R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Rattling noise from sun shade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 01:40 PM
karizma23
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattling noise from sun shade?

Hi all -

My 2009 Clubman produces this very annoying rattling noise when driving on anything other than perfectly smooth roads and I've located the source - the sun shade/sun roof area. If you're looking up at the roof, the sound has been located in the right front corner. If I put my finger up there and press downward, the sound goes away.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is it a known issue? If you have this problem, have you found any way to permanently stop it?

And, no, turning up the radio isn't the solution

Thanks.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:58 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by karizma23

And, no, turning up the radio isn't the solution

Thanks.
Oh that is what i was going to say and you beet me to it.

It is very possibly that the trim ring around the opening has broken tab or is just not seated correctly.

Other than that i would need to see a picture of exactly where you are placing the pressure to assist you any further.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:33 PM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Oh that is what i was going to say and you beet me to it.

It is very possibly that the trim ring around the opening has broken tab or is just not seated correctly.

Other than that I would need to see a picture of exactly where you are placing the pressure to assist you any further.

Hey schatzty! I would just like to take the time to thank you for all your useful posts here on NAM. You always answer questions that many folks don't even begin to address and you do it with a great deal of patience. I always read your responses and and have learned much from doing so. SO, THANKS! People ask bizarre questions (the one above not so much) and you try to resolve the issue without attitude every time. And you aren't the only person who does this. You are just the one I see the most I think who usually has a possible answer in almost every category.

I am not a "car" person and the MINI is the first "cool" car I have ever owned. Heck, before the MINI I never even looked at cars as more than a tool to get me from A to Z. I am learning...

Hijack over.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:27 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrowland
Hey schatzty! I would just like to take the time to thank you for all your useful posts here on NAM. You always answer questions that many folks don't even begin to address and you do it with a great deal of patience. I always read your responses and and have learned much from doing so. SO, THANKS! People ask bizarre questions (the one above not so much) and you try to resolve the issue without attitude every time. And you aren't the only person who does this. You are just the one I see the most I think who usually has a possible answer in almost every category.

I am not a "car" person and the MINI is the first "cool" car I have ever owned. Heck, before the MINI I never even looked at cars as more than a tool to get me from A to Z. I am learning...

Hijack over.
Thanks for all the good words but I will be the first to admit that sometimes I do get a attitude with some of the other member here but then we work it out.

Hopefully you will learn a lot more about your car and cars in general from contributing here and become the person that people can go to to get advice.

AKA Eric

Old 03-04-2010, 07:35 AM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
...but I will be the first to admit that sometimes I do get a attitude with some of the other member here but then we work it out.

AKA Eric
That's what the internet is for.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:57 PM
karizma23
1st Gear
schatzy62 - I'll try to get a pic tomorrow in the daylight to show where I think the sound is coming from as well as where I'm applying the pressure.

The sound is super-annoying, especially given the great number of crappy concrete roads here in the PNW.

Thanks.