R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Engine Light ????

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010 | 07:52 PM
dkamp
|
3rd Gear
Engine Light ????

Help!!

I just drove my 08 Clubman 7 Hrs from Home and a few miles after getting gas a light that looks like the Engine came on (not Blinking). I checked the Gas Cap, let it cool while eating Dinner and It is still ON.
I will be here for a few Days then need to drive 7 hrs back Home
What Should I do?
What Can I do?

Then manual says its OK to drive until I can get service if I take it easy.
What is easy? Like 55mph or ??? is a 7 Hr "Plus" drive at 55 ok?
The engine sounds and acts OK, seems to be only the Light on that is an issue.

Old 04-02-2010 | 09:17 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Stop by AutoZone or the like and ask them to read the code. You then will have good information to make your decision. There a a lot of codes that are pretty benign and it will be quite safe to drive. And call your dealer.

Old 04-02-2010 | 09:49 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
What color is the light? It might just be the gas cap and after you drive it for a while the light will go away.

Old 04-03-2010 | 05:46 AM
dkamp
|
3rd Gear
Thanks

MINIxB, The Color if the Little Engine Light is Yellow.
I'm hoping that it might be that this is the First time I added MORE gas after the pump kicked off. Only about 75 Cents so I assumed this little bit wasn't part of the issue. I did RE-Check the Gas cap 3 times Hoping that was the fault.

I will search for an Auto-Zone as Ron-s Mini suggested and see if the Expert On duty (Ya know been there 2 Mo. or More )
Thanks for the Info.....
If other have had this Please Chime In and express your thoughts.
I hate it when my Little Red Wagon is sick.

Old 04-06-2010 | 06:51 PM
dkamp
|
3rd Gear
Advanced Auto did a scan and said the Error was "Cam shaft position sensor error" I drove back home at 55mph, seemed like 25 . I have an appointment with the Mini Doctor for Friday. which is an hour drive to Indy.

Old 04-19-2010 | 04:53 PM
dkamp
|
3rd Gear
Got My Little Red Wagon Back today!

The dealer finally got the part in and delivered it to me today!
I had a 09 Cooper automatic loaner to use for the week and am Glad I added all my Options. You sure get spoiled on the options. The difference between Regular and Xeon Headlights is Exstream!
I was really glad they let me have a Loaner for the whole week while I waited on the Crankshaft Sensor. They reset the error and all is Great.
They also changed the oil, filter, and Wiper Blades, and did a Great Job shining it up too!
My Dealer is so Good they delivered my Little Red Wagon to me and I'm a little over 100 miles away. All under Warranty!
Very Happy Clubman Owner
Dreyer & Reinbold Mini in Indy is awesome.

Old 11-22-2011 | 08:22 PM
2RIDICÜLÜS
Neutral
Well tonight in my new 2012 with 450 miles on it, I get in it and start it...and guess what showed up...the yellow engine light!!!! I have to agree things happen but I am wondering now if this is a bigger problem and I should've stuck with my scion with a perfect track record. With that said my big issue will be that the closest dealer is 2.5 hours away and will NOT be going there every day to fix it, and top it off it is a holiday week.

Does anyone know how to reset the light without service?

Old 11-23-2011 | 04:38 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by 2RIDICÜLÜS
Well tonight in my new 2012 with 450 miles on it, I get in it and start it...and guess what showed up...the yellow engine light!!!! I have to agree things happen but I am wondering now if this is a bigger problem and I should've stuck with my scion with a perfect track record. With that said my big issue will be that the closest dealer is 2.5 hours away and will NOT be going there every day to fix it, and top it off it is a holiday week.

Does anyone know how to reset the light without service?
There are so many different things that can cause this light to come on including a loose gas cap so check the gas cap and if it does not go out in about 10 miles head to an auto zone or other parts store and ask to have the code checked. That is THE ONLY WAY to really know what the problem is and if it really needs to be checked on.

And resetting of the light without service is not a good idea unless you know EXACTLY what the problem is.

As for the reliability of the car. Mine has 85K+ on it and has been more reliable than both of my Nissan's, any of my VW's and even my Dodge Pickup.

Old 11-23-2011 | 12:09 PM
ggonzale
3rd Gear
2RIDICULUS, did you fill out your tank that day or the day before? Sometimes the light will come on on my clubman and I found is the premium gas I was using (mine doesn't like Phillips 66 for some reason). Once I switch to another brand, the light is gone after 1-2 days.

I visited my dealer the first time and they couldn't find anything wrong so I just switch brands as need it

Old 11-23-2011 | 07:05 PM
2RIDICÜLÜS
Neutral
Well today I went to auto zone and they checked the computer it showed a P0456 Evaporative emission system leak detected.. small leak. It also said it was a permanent code...not sure what that means...talked to the dealer and they said they would take care of it no problem. Tonight when i got into the mc it was gone..not sure what that is all about cause they couldn't clear the code. I got gas on Thursday of last week. Is premium bad for the car? What does everyone else use?

Old 11-23-2011 | 07:44 PM
ggonzale
3rd Gear
I use only premium but I stay away from Phillips 66 and Shell;I had problems with both in Chicago and a friend told me is because the amount and type of cleaners they use (not sure if is true, but the light tend to light when I use those two)