R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Be my voice of reason

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 07:31 AM
SSr56
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be my voice of reason

Hey guys, I have an 08 HC Clubman S, the car is fully load it and i love it to death. However i've had a number of problems that have taken away that warm and fuzzy feeling. Just last week i had a seal go and oil was leaking everywhere, mind you i only have 17,000 miles. Here is my dilemma, i've been offered a 07 328xi coupe, with 45k loaded with the exception of nav, for 20k with warranty up to 70k.. Should i pull the trigger on the BMW, will it be the better car in the long term? OR should i stick it out with the MINI? The only thing pushing me towards the bimmer is the all wheel drive, not thrilled about 45k miles though...HELP

Old 04-17-2010, 08:05 AM
hwy74
3rd Gear
completely different cars. that's a hard question to help with cause it's just a preference issue. The BMW has just as much chance at bustin' a seal and it may be past the warranty. I would not take a regular 328 over a CooperS (an M3 is a different story), but I also would not pick a Clubman. Please dont take that as an insult on the Clubman. Like I said, preference.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Both are BMWs. Why would the 328 be more reliable than the Clubman? If you want trouble-free, get a Honda rather than a BMW.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:57 PM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Both are BMWs. Why would the 328 be more reliable than the Clubman? If you want trouble-free, get a Honda rather than a BMW.
A mini is just an even cheaper BMW. What Robin said. Honda for trouble free.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:01 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbrowland
Honda for trouble free.
Ah, I remember those days of yesteryear when that is what was said about Toyota. How things change.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:23 PM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Ah, I remember those days of yesteryear when that is what was said about Toyota. How things change.
Yep. That's true. But Toyota will still likely be ranked above MINI in reliability even after this year, over all. I would also bet that if you took a MINI and a Toyota, the Toyota is more likely to reach 300k+ miles 7 out of 10 times. All that said, I do actually consider the MINI to be pretty reliable for a cheap BMW. We all know certain cars just don't cut it regardless of brand and that people come to the internet far more often with trouble than with praise.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:39 PM
GreenR53
3rd Gear
Between the accelerator recall, the brake recall, and the countless rust/corrosion recalls. I would not use the words "reliable" and "toyota" in the same sentence.

But that is a hard choice between the 328 and your current Mini. Id say pull the trigger sell your Clubman, if you regret the decision sell the bimmer and buy another Mini. You'd get that warm fuzzy feeling back again.

It doesnt matter what you buy it all sucks. Its all going to break sooner or later.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
At least Honda didn't try to rapidly take over the world. Toyota's problems stem from rapid growth to being too big to manage with care.

Originally Posted by britgreenindy
I would not use the words "reliable" and "toyota" in the same sentence.
You just did.

Mercedes, BMW, and MINI seem to have suffered from recent attempts at lowering costs. After the Japanese invasion that made everyone improve reliability, it seems that time passed and they forgot the lesson. Perhaps they saw Toyota quality go to hell and thought it would help them expand like Toyota. Oops.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:26 PM
jmnegrin
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me, this is the old "devil you know for the devil you don't' situation. I have said many times that a used car's reliability is based more on maintenance than on original build quality. (Unless, of course, the original was a lemon in the worst sense of the word.)

I had a lemon Yamaha once upon a time. I know feeling, waiting for it to fail again. However, I never paid a dime to have it fixed, including the new motor, etc. Lousy position to be in, guaran'damn'teed. Speaking of which, if you have had repeated problems of the same nature, and the dealer(s) can't seem to fix it/them, then you may have recourse under the lemon law (assuming you have one where you live).

I disagree with those who say the MINI is just a cheaper BMW. Owned by the same company doesn't make it the same. Is Jag, Aston Martin or Volvo the same as a Ford? (Yes, I know ownerships have changed, but you get my meaning?)

A MINI is a MINI, and the BMW will not be the same. What BMW has given to MINI is the ability to be its best, which is something most on this forum think is something pretty special. You have a tough decision to make, and I hope that after it is made, you get your MINI fixed and back on the road. Enjoy many more miles of 'motoring'

my tuppence, and remember, "Free advice is worth every thing you paid for it."

Old 04-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jmnegrin
I disagree with those who say the MINI is just a cheaper BMW. Owned by the same company doesn't make it the same. Is Jag, Aston Martin or Volvo the same as a Ford? (Yes, I know ownerships have changed, but you get my meaning?)
My understanding is that the MINI was designed by BMW engineers. Jag, AM, and Volvo were separate companies with their own cultures before being owned by Ford. A better analogy would be Honda/Acura, or Toyota/Lexus, and yes they have the same relaibility levels that their mother company has.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:18 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
My understanding is that the MINI was designed by BMW engineers. Jag, AM, and Volvo were separate companies with their own cultures before being owned by Ford. A better analogy would be Honda/Acura, or Toyota/Lexus, and yes they have the same relaibility levels that their mother company has.
Hijack - But if you look at the latest Jag, AM, and Volvo the dash switches all look like what you find in a Ford, not the original styling of the cars.

Back to the OP's Question. The cars are really no comparison IMHO. Both are good driving cars but the MINI is a blast and the 328 is well just not as fun again IMHO.

Now you could go with the "this mini is horrible" scenario or just take it is stride that ALL cars have problems because they are mechanical and WILL have problems. But if you jump to the 328 and find the same thing you will probably be mad at yourself for making the jump.

MY Opinion. Get the car fixed as needed and then just drive it and have fun with it. But if you want a more reliable car by something else.

Hijack - Little know facts

VW/Audi - Combined sales for years 2000 to 2008 were 3% of the total cars sales in the US but they had 15% of the unexpected acceleration complaints for that period of time.

Toyota - Sales for the years 2000 to 2008 were 34% of total car sales yet they had less that 4% of the unexpected acceleration complaints for that same period of time.

So if VW/Audi had 15% and Toyota 4% then what about the other 81% what make and models are they? Answer every make and model out there.

Now figure out where the money is and you will see why Toyota is being singled out.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:43 AM
mastawyrm
4th Gear
I'm gonna have to disagree here. IMO every time I hit the throttle in a Honda it would be very troubling.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:55 AM
SSr56
2nd Gear
Thanks for the feedback. I test drove the 328, power and handling didn't feel up to par. The MINI is the better drivers car if you ask me. I will roll with the punches and keep the mini.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:47 AM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SSr56
Thanks for the feedback. I test drove the 328, power and handling didn't feel up to par. The MINI is the better drivers car if you ask me. I will roll with the punches and keep the mini.
Very sorry to hear about your trouble and I wish much better luck on other members here on NAM as well as to you in the future! You are correct, the MINI is a fun car if not annoying at times.

Originally Posted by schatzy62

VW/Audi - Combined sales for years 2000 to 2008 were 3% of the total cars sales in the US but they had 15% of the unexpected acceleration complaints for that period of time.

Toyota - Sales for the years 2000 to 2008 were 34% of total car sales yet they had less that 4% of the unexpected acceleration complaints for that same period of time.

So if VW/Audi had 15% and Toyota 4% then what about the other 81% what make and models are they? Answer every make and model out there.

Now figure out where the money is and you will see why Toyota is being singled out.
Excellent perspective. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:42 PM
BMW13
2nd Gear
So much for the BMW bashers on this board, I'm on my 13th BMW (14 counting my Clubman). My neighbor just got rid of his 530 with 280,000 miles, I believe it was a 2001 and bought another used 2003 530. I have never had engine problems with 13 BMW's and the 328 (3.0 liter) is an extremely reliable engine. I have a 335i convertible but had essentually the same engine as the 328 in my 530, X3's and X5. The only issue I am aware of in those cars are some transmission shifting issues (it's a GM transmission in some of the X3's and 328's). The only issue I would have if I was buying it would be make sure the transmission shifts smooth(if it's an automatic). There was a problem and service bulletin for X3's and I assume they had the same issue on some 328's. Starting out from a light it would hesitate, I beleive they actually start in second gear if it's not in sport mode. If you drive it and can't detect any issues with the transmission the only other concern might be Xi all wheel drive. If my Clubman had your problem I would go for the 328. Good luck.