R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Thinking of getting a 2010 or 2011 Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 02:40 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agreed, djdraddy. Test drives trump all opinions offered by us talking heads!

A few other relevant thoughts that popped into my head about tires, which may or may not be apparent:

The rougher rides associated with the run-flat tires would mainly be associated with the stiffer sidewalls, which are designed to carry the vehicle weight with no air in the tires. Given that run-flats are mainly performance tires, too, probably doesn't help ride quality any...

In considering 15" vs. 16" wheels, one should keep in mind that, all other things being equal, 15" tires will wear out sooner than 16" tires. I could bore everyone with the math behind that, but won't...

Old 05-15-2010, 10:52 PM
j1huynh
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone,
So here's my mini report of test driving this morning.
I went to test drive with my gf. We got to the dealer around 11:15am. We walked around and looked a different Minis on the lot. We were surprised of the size of the mini clubman . It's pretty big up close.
Anyhow, after walking around, we entered into the dealer and it was pretty empty (probably too early). Talked to a sale associate the clubman(s) and that we want to test drive. He was really cool. He said there are only 4 of them for today and Saturday is usually very crowded. He said we can test drive by ourselves if it was okay w/ us. We said sure. He asked for my ID and insurance.
I told him we want to test drive a clubman with premium package and auto. It was parked right infront of the dealer. He gave us the key and said that there's about 50miles of gas left on the car and he just drive around until almost empty then come back. Super cool guy!!

First car:
Cooper Clubman
Premium Package with sun roof and sound
Auto Trans.
Convenience Package
=== This car is very similar to the one that I want to buy (the fact that I want to drive non-S with the sunroof). So I've got into the car and didn't know how to control the AC or roll down the windows. It took us a few minutes to figure out.. lol and then we played around with the sun roof. My gf loves the sun roof. Anyhow, I started driving slowly out of the dealer and then hop onto the highway. I feel the car has sufficient power as a commute car and drives on the highway. At some points, I guess the car makes a little rawr while trying to accelerate from 60 to 80mph. Besides that, I feel that the clubman is good. I drove for about 10min and then exited to a local street. I switched with my gf and it was her turn to drive. I went to sit in the back. It is pretty comfortable (a little rougher than my honda prelude I guess). My gf, on the other hand, was like 'OMG OMG I love this car so much '. She said she wish it has a little more HP. lol.. but we both agree that it's more than enough for commuting and not spirited driving. After 10 min with the car, we switched and then I drove back to the dealer.

I went in to meet the associate and he then asked us if we wanted to drive the clubmanS. I looked at my gf and she was like . The guy went to get a S but he said they only have the manual. He then offered us to drive a cooper-S (not clubman).

Second mini:
Cooper S (not clubman)
premium package
sport package (17" tire)
auto trans
convenience package
interior chrom trim
oak wood trim

=== This time, the car has full gas tank. The associate told us to drive as long as we want. Anyhow, we took the same route.
Our thought: the cooper with 17" is extremely rough!! Also the fact that with shorter wheelbase also contributes to the rough ride. We hated so much. We both feel there's plenty more power with this cooperS. But, maybe we will come back at a later time to test drive the clubmanS.

So for now, we are set on the clubman (non S). I asked about the 2011 and the guy said we can come back in july and order it.
I also asked about the flat run tires and he said it's also possible to get the non-run flat on the 16".

Old 05-15-2010, 11:46 PM
djdraddy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good job J1huynh...At least now you know from your own personal experience how the non-turbo Clubman drives. The Clubman S has plenty of power so its not as big of an issue. If the Non-turbo car suites you then you can save a tidy piece of change. Pricing out a well equiped car under $25K should be no problem, especially with a free premium package.

BTW, it's actually good that you got to drive the Hardtop model, it does have a harsher ride. The Clubman's longer wheelbase and extra weight give it a mellower ride.
Good Luck

Old 05-16-2010, 01:52 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Oh oh! Maybe it wasn't so wise to allow your girlfriend to drive...? Now she'll be bugging you to drive yours!

Old 05-16-2010, 04:41 PM
j1huynh
1st Gear
It's too late timfitz63. We are getting married in Dec and she already planned to drive the clubman later .
Anyhow, after test drive and reconfigure the clubman again. It comes out to $27.4k What happened? So expensive..
One question for you guys, why do we require to insert the key to start the car. It's annoying.. =/ I like the remote start / keyless start (you can keep the key in your pocket and just press the start/stop button to turn on/off the car). I found it was annoying to insert and then wait to get the key out.

========

2010 MINI Cooper Clubman
Blank Line
Base MSRP* $20,450
Destination & Handling $700
Blank Line
PAINT
Pepper White Body Color $0
Black Roof/Mirrors $0
Black Rear C-Pillar Trim INC
Blank Line
PACKAGE
Convenience Package $1,500
Universal Garage Door Opener
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror
Rain Sensor and Auto Headlamps
Comfort Access System
Comfort Bluetooth w/USB/iPod Adapter
Premium Package $1,750
Automatic AC
harman/kardon Sound System
Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof
Sport Package $1,250
Front Fog Lamps
Dynamic Traction Control
Sport Seats
16" Bridge Spoke (Performance)
Black Bonnet Stripes
Blank Line
PERFORMANCE
Dynamic Stability Control STD
6-Speed Automatic $1,250
Blank Line
COCKPIT
Leatherette: Black/Grey STD
Chrome Line Interior $250
Interior Surface English Oak $250
On-Board Computer STD
Leather Sport Wheel w/Multifunction STD
Interior Color: Carbon Black STD
Blank Line
TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $27,400
Blank Line
JCWACCESSORIES**
No selections in this category
Blank Line
ACCESSORIES**
Blank Line
TOTAL ACCESSORIES ** $0
Blank Line
TOTAL COMBINED $27,400

Old 05-16-2010, 05:39 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
A Clubman can get expensive after you start adding multiple options.

By the way, we share the same last name.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:43 PM
MiniTron
3rd Gear
I just gave my New-to-me 2009 Cooper Clubman a thorough test drive through the mountains of New Hampshire and some back roads in Western Maine.

I have to say the Clubman is still a very fun car. MINI of Peabody (my closest dealer) had several certified pre-owned MINIs. They were mostly BMW executive cars with a couple thousand miles and the warranty extended out to 6 years/100,000 miles. Definitely the best deal for my money. I got leather seats, sport package, premium package, convenience package, heated seats, GPS, extended service, and a tire warranty for under 26,000. The same car is 29,900 for a 2010 on the configurator.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:58 PM
djdraddy
Banned
J1huynh I would drop the convience pkg. and get the BT/ipod and save $1000. Keep in mind that right now you would get the Premium pkg. free so that saves you $1,750…that gets you under $25k. Then you can finance at .9% which is basically free money. Also, I see everyone getting between $1,000-$1,500 off the MSRP so you should have no problem getting that car for $24k! But you need to move soon. Car sales are picking up and I don't know long MINI will continue making these "Deals" Don't trust me...Ask around up until bout a year ago MINI gave you nothing off and no free anything, FULL MSRP.

You should be able to find a car locally that fits your needs. BTW, your dealer can search the entire MINI dealer network to find a car that works for you… he’s not limited to what he has on his lot.

Last edited by djdraddy; 05-16-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:08 PM
j1huynh
1st Gear
Originally Posted by j1huynh

2010 MINI Cooper Clubman
Blank Line
Base MSRP* $20,450
Destination & Handling $700
Blank Line
PAINT
Pepper White Body Color $0
Black Roof/Mirrors $0
Black Rear C-Pillar Trim INC
Blank Line
PACKAGE
Convenience Package $1,500
Universal Garage Door Opener
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror
Rain Sensor and Auto Headlamps
Comfort Access System
Comfort Bluetooth w/USB/iPod Adapter
Premium Package $1,750
Automatic AC
harman/kardon Sound System
Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof
Sport Package $1,250
Front Fog Lamps
Dynamic Traction Control
Sport Seats
16" Bridge Spoke (Performance)
Black Bonnet Stripes
Blank Line
PERFORMANCE
Dynamic Stability Control STD
6-Speed Automatic $1,250
Blank Line
COCKPIT
Leatherette: Black/Grey STD
Chrome Line Interior $250
Interior Surface English Oak $250
On-Board Computer STD
Leather Sport Wheel w/Multifunction STD
Interior Color: Carbon Black STD
Blank Line
TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $27,400
Blank Line
JCWACCESSORIES**
Blank Line
ACCESSORIES**
Blank Line
TOTAL ACCESSORIES ** $0
Blank Line
TOTAL COMBINED $27,400
How much do you guys think I can get this configuration for with the 2011 model? Thanks.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:09 PM
djdraddy
Banned
MiniTron I actually just went through the exact process you're describing( See my earlier response to "timfitz63" and my original response to "j1huynh").

The big problem with the leftover or Pre-Owned car route is that the financing is at 6% or higher which adds $50-$75 per month to the payment. If you add the effect of the FREE OPTION Program right now ... You have to get a car that is almost $7,000 less to breakeven. Right now MINI is significantly subsidizing the sale of a new MINI Clubman. This is amazing...Just a year ago you couldn't get any deals from MINI...NOTHING, NADA, ZIP. You would be lucky to get floor mats. Just ask around.

Last edited by djdraddy; 05-16-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:17 PM
djdraddy
Banned
J1huyhn I would say that you may end up having to spend $3,000 more for the same car as a 2011. You guys need to realize that its not the price of the car that's important...It's what you end up paying for it when all is said and done!

Last edited by djdraddy; 05-16-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:25 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
"djdraddy" is correct: MINI wasn't giving any deals as recently as a year ago. At least they weren't in San Antonio. MSRP -- no discounts, no "gimmes" -- nothing. That was part of the reason I went hunting online for a clean Clubman S. As it turned out, I wound up with a JCW Clubman for what I would have paid for a new Clubman S -- and not too much more than what a used Clubman S was going for at the time... Yes, it was about a year old when I purchased it, but it was well-equipped (at least it had everything I couldn't live without), very clean, mechanically-sound, and had fewer-than-average miles on it -- and I just couldn't pass up the extra 35 horsepower once I drove it...

But we each have our own motivating reasons behind our respective purchases: personally, I love a stiff-riding sports car, and subscribe to the same notion as "djdraddy:" there's no such thing as too much horsepower (insert your best "Tim the Tool Man" imitation here). You, on the other hand, need a good, economical commuter for your wife-to-be. Nice thing about the MINI is we can both get what we want in a fun-to-drive vehicle!

I also agree with "djdraddy" in that the incentives currently being offered would likely have altered my decision-making process; as luck would have it, they hadn't been announced when I found my JCW Clubman. Had they been available, I may not have ended up with a JCW Clubman, but would have made a good deal on a new Clubman S -- and probably been just as happy.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:14 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Originally Posted by j1huynh
4) How is the acceleration for the clubman? I have a honda prelude right now and it's pretty good (plenty of power to change lane and stuff). I am not planning to drive aggressively with this clubman (just for commute).
I have driven my 2009 MCCm about 20,000 miles. We are just back from a 1400-mile trip through Iowa, Missouri, and Arkansas, with about 600 pounds of people and luggage on-board. My observations on the power of the 118 hp engine:
1. Interstate highway -- excellent.
2. In town -- good.
3. Freeway -- good.
4. Steep, hilly back roads -- acceptable.

MPG for the trip: 36.5
SPEED AVG for the trip: 55.3