R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Thinking of getting a 2010 or 2011 Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:03 AM
j1huynh
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of getting a 2010 or 2011 Clubman

Hi All,
I am thinking of getting either a 2010 or 2011 Clubman (non-s). I think the 2011 Clubman is not so different from 2010 (plus with the 2011, will the newer engine have newer problems??). Therefore, to me, 2010 or 2011 won't be much different. I think price will be the most important factor.
Anyhow, I am going to do a test drive this weekend, but I have a few questions first.
1) Between 15" and 16" wheels, is there a big sacrifice in ride comfort?
2) Is there a difference between the stock audio and the HK (from the premium package)? Is it much better?
3) For the bluetooth/ipod, there are 3 versions. I still don't understand the difference. If I plug my ipod in, I will be able to control from the car audio right? I don't need to touch the ipod to change songs and stuff.
4) How is the acceleration for the clubman? I have a honda prelude right now and it's pretty good (plenty of power to change lane and stuff). I am not planning to drive aggressively with this clubman (just for commute). Waiting for next 3 series gt to come out.
5) What kind of prices is everyone getting? $500 above invoice for 2010?

Thanks All.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Roseknight
Neutral
my wife just got her Clubman... and she ordered it just the way she wanted it and paid MSRP

not sure one the wheels she got the 16" and its a comfy ride for a sporty car
The HK sound system sounds great!!
she has the iphone in the armrest set up and controls it from the radio controls including phone via functions bluetooth.
acceleration is great in the S...
after test driving both I felt that every once in a while she would feel the non-S would be a bit wimpy for Dallas traffic on-ramps..
(I would have had the feeling much more often)

Old 05-10-2010, 01:04 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Hi All,
I am thinking of getting either a 2010 or 2011 Clubman (non-s). I think the 2011 Clubman is not so different from 2010 (plus with the 2011, will the newer engine have newer problems??). Therefore, to me, 2010 or 2011 won't be much different. I think price will be the most important factor.
Anyhow, I am going to do a test drive this weekend, but I have a few questions first.[/quote] go for teh 2010 in august or september so that you can get a discount.

Originally Posted by j1huynh
Very slight difference. the biggest difference will be with the Runflat - Non-Runflat issue. Going to 17" or 18" will definitely make the ride harsher.

2) Is there a difference between the stock audio and the HK (from the premium package)? Is it much better?
There is a big difference. the best thing to do is to test drive a car with both systems and bring you own CD's to listen to. Spend some time actually listening to both of them. Most people really dislike the HiFi system and would rather have spent the extra $500 on aftermarket amps and speakers. The HK system sounds much better IMHO than the base or HiFi systems but I am not sure it is worth the $750 cost. But then again it would take at least that much cash to have someone replace the bad speakers and add an amp. Read up here on what people have to say, there are a lot of threads in the NAV and Audio section

3) For the bluetooth/ipod, there are 3 versions. I still don't understand the difference. If I plug my ipod in, I will be able to control from the car audio right? I don't need to touch the ipod to change songs and stuff.
Here is a short look at how these work and there really are only two versions.
1. iPod adapter - Puts an iPod connection in the secret compartment and although it will control the iPod it probably is not how you think. It makes the iPod resemble a CD changer and thus you can only have up to 6 play lists, it is hard to select music form a specific artist or song.

2. USB/iPod connection - iPod plugs into a USB port and allows full control of the iPod close to how it is controlled from of the iPod. With this you can also ditch the iPod and use a USB Stick for music, Much smaller device. This also adds Bluetooth and that gives you a hands free connection to the phone and your address book on the main screen of the radio head unit. With this option the USB port is in the center console stack, just below the window/fog light/door lock switches.

3. Smart Phone Option The sort of third option works the same as the above for iPods but adds a USB port in the arm rest so that the iPhone's can be put in the armrest and play music thru the USB iPod connection.

4) How is the acceleration for the clubman? I have a honda prelude right now and it's pretty good (plenty of power to change lane and stuff). I am not planning to drive aggressively with this clubman (just for commute). Waiting for next 3 series gt to come out.
IMHO Pick up is okay but the S just makes it that much better. Some of it will depend on where you live. I live near Boston and with out the S I think I would be doomed to life in the slow lane forever.

Very little is given as a discount due to the high "want" for these cars. Back when i got mine you could not even buy off the lot as there were none, you had to order and wait 4-5 months. Now there are some on the lot but still not large quantities and you may have trouble finding one with your requested set of options. Higher volume dealers may be willing to do some negotiating but usually very little., They know that someone will pay full price.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:12 PM
j1huynh
1st Gear
Thanks so much for your replies Roseknight and schatzy62.
Thanks schatzy62 for your detailed answers.
1) For the run-flat tires, does it come with run-flat by default and I can only change outside once they are worn out or can i configure to get non-run-flat?
2) For the audio, if it sounds better, then I'll just get the premium package since I want to get the sun/moon-roof.
3) For the ipod, I think option is the best option based from your explanation.
4) Yeah. I want to get the S too but in addition to the problems (tension, etc..), it pushes the car price too close to a bmw 1 coupe. With S and the packages (premium, sport, convenience, auto), the clubman comes up close to 30k.. eekkk.. too much for a mini I want to keep around 25 to 26k after tax (ca tax = 9.25%). I have to trim some packages down.. =(
Like you've said, I am thinking to wait for 2011 to come out and find a good deal on a 2010.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:55 PM
djdraddy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just went through the purchase process and I can share a few things with you that may be of value. Call it my 2 cents.

First, I think you need to decide whether to go for the S version on not... To me it wasn't really a question... The Clubman without the turbo is just plain sluggish. It weighs several hundred pounds more than the Hardtop and without the added ponies there is just no zip. Best $3500 you can spend. Besides the extra 50 hp the S comes with the run-flats, 16" wheels, Sport seats, fog lites, plus a bunch of other upgrades standard that make the added money worth it.

If you like the HK sound system and the sun roof your in luck, right now MINI is giving you the Premium Package for FREE. (or the Sport Pak or the Auto Trans)

If you go for the S get the Sport Pak that gives you the 17" wheels, the Xenon lights, Stripes if you want'em and Dynamic traction control w/locking diff. Non S is the same except no Xenons included, $500 more.

Next, unless you like the keyless and the garage remote and can live with non auto wipers and lights...save the money on the convenience pak. I got the ipod/BT adptr and saved $750. I passed on the Cold Pak and saved another $500. I added the arm rest and a couple of other goodies and the list totaled to just under $30,000. I spec'd out one with a few less goodies and it was like $28,750. BTW, I'm including an Auto Trans for $1,250.

Now the dealer gave me $1500 off the sticker then subtract the $1750 credit from MINI for the Premium Pak and then you're getting very close to $26,500 Auto or about $25,000 Stick. Now the next big gift also comes from MINI FS, .9% Financing. They're basically giving you the money to buy the car from them for free. Monthly you will be looking at like $400-$425 w/$5000 down, or $450-475 w/$3000 up front.

Now I was looking at 2009 leftovers and at a 6% note you have to give up between $4-5000 purchase price to make the same monthly payment not including the free Premium pak. So thats like $7,000 difference. That's alot' a car.

Total finance costs over the life of the loan is like $600 for the new car vs $3-4,000 for a 2009 leftover. So, buy the new car now and have MINI pay for the equivalent of $5-6,000 of the total cost.

Plus, You'll be driving your mini by the end of the month.

Like I said, my 2 cents.

Last edited by djdraddy; 05-11-2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:44 AM
hooknew
2nd Gear
Avoid the runflats. Make sure to order the armrest. Non-S is not slow if you get the 6 speed manual. Be sure to get the cold weather package.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:09 AM
dberezin
Neutral
I just purchased mine a couple of weeks back. I got a Pepper White from dealer stock (Princeton MINI) and it came with pretty much what I wanted:
  • Premium Package - Sunroof, Automatic A/C and HK sound system. The HK sounds GREAT in the car. Has nice highs and good low end. Especially sounds great with my iPod Touch connected.
  • Cold Weather Package - wife loves the heated seats. Heated mirrors and washer jets come in handy in the Philly suburbs.
  • Bluetooth & USB iPod Adapter ("base" option $500) - The BT works great with my Droid - reads the phone book and makes all my numbers available and selectable through the radio in addition to creating a voice-controlled phonebook (for people I call often). The iPod Adapter plugs into the accessory/line-out port on the bottom of the iPod (wide connector) and then splits to a USB and 3.5mm connectors that plug in right above the forward cup holders. For me this was definitely worth the money. Music sounds great, it's controlled through the stereo and calls come through the stereo and I can keep my hands on the wheel (and the stick shift).
  • Standard 15" wheels - Definitely a quieter and less harsh ride than the run flats (I'm driving about 65 miles a day back and forth to work).
  • Other Items - Piano Black interior surface, Fog lights, black bonnet stripes, black roof and mirrors.
Probably will get the armrest in the next couple of months.

Acceleration is great with the non-turbo. Because the car is so light, the base engine can move the car fine. I have no issues merging on the PA Turnpike and getting right up to speed. Lane changes become more fun now with a manual - drop gears and go...

My car listed out at $24,500. They knocked off about $1,300 because I was in there about 3 times over a 9 month period trying to get out of a lease for an over-mileage 2008 Honda Accord.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:15 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
"Very little is given as a discount due to the high "want" for these cars."

Times have changed. See edmunds.com for average prices being paid by region.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:27 PM
j1huynh
1st Gear
Thanks all for your replies.
djdraddy, it seems like you've got a good price for your car.
When I configure, the difference with the S and non-S is about $2700 for me and with everything else comparable.

===============
2010 MINI Cooper S Clubman
Blank Line
Base MSRP* $24,050
Destination & Handling $700
Blank Line
PAINT
Pepper White Body Color $0
Black Roof/Mirrors $0
Black Rear C-Pillar Trim INC
Black Bonnet Stripes $100
Blank Line
PACKAGE
Convenience Package $1,250
Universal Garage Door Opener
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror
Rain Sensor and Auto Headlamps
Comfort Access System
Basic Bluetooth with USB/iPod adapater
Premium Package $1,750
harman/kardon Sound System
Automatic AC
Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof
Blank Line
PERFORMANCE
Dynamic Traction Control $250
Dynamic Stability Control STD
6-Speed Auto w/Agitronic Mode $1,250
16" Bridge Spoke (Perf. Run Flats) $0
Front Fog Lamps STD
Blank Line
COCKPIT
Sport Seats STD
Center Arm Rest $250
Cloth: Checkered Carbon Black/Black $0
Interior Surface Checkered Silver STD
On-Board Computer STD
Leather Sport Wheel w/Multifunction STD
Interior Color: Carbon Black STD
Blank Line
TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $29,600
Blank Line
JCWACCESSORIES**
No selections in this category
Blank Line
ACCESSORIES**
Blank Line
TOTAL ACCESSORIES ** $0
Blank Line
TOTAL COMBINED $29,600

=================

2010 MINI Cooper Clubman
Blank Line
Base MSRP* $20,450
Destination & Handling $700
Blank Line
PAINT
Pepper White Body Color $0
Black Roof/Mirrors $0
Black Rear C-Pillar Trim INC
Blank Line
PACKAGE
Convenience Package $1,250
Universal Garage Door Opener
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror
Rain Sensor and Auto Headlamps
Comfort Access System
Basic Bluetooth with USB/iPod adapater
Premium Package $1,750
Automatic AC
harman/kardon Sound System
Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof
Sport Package $1,250
Front Fog Lamps
Dynamic Traction Control
Sport Seats
16" 5-Star Blaster (Performance)
Black Bonnet Stripes
Blank Line
PERFORMANCE
Dynamic Stability Control STD
6-Speed Automatic $1,250
Blank Line
COCKPIT
Center Arm Rest $250
Cloth: Checkered Carbon Black/Black $0
Interior Surface Fine White Silver STD
On-Board Computer STD
Leather Sport Wheel w/Multifunction STD
Interior Color: Carbon Black STD
Blank Line
TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $26,900
Blank Line
JCWACCESSORIES**
Blank Line
ACCESSORIES**
Blank Line
TOTAL ACCESSORIES ** $0
Blank Line
TOTAL COMBINED $26,900
=======================

Currently, my gf drives a nissan rogue withe 170hp and it has the same acceleration (0-60mph) in about 8.6s. It feels sluggish but it's enough to commute I think. If I can save $2600 for my bmw3series later, it would be great.
One more question, for the seat, between the leatherette and the cloth? any suggestion? TIA!!

Old 05-11-2010, 11:50 PM
j1huynh
1st Gear
Also, one more question, how do you order the non-run-flat tires with the car or can you?

Old 05-12-2010, 12:11 AM
djdraddy
Banned
I have to say that when I said that the non-turbo is "sluggish" it was really a statement of my opinion that 0-60 in 10+ seconds is less than I consider requisite for spirited driving...or really any driving for that matter. I also didn't realize that people would take issue with that. I guess that what is acceptable to one may be completely unacceptable to another. With all due respect, 0-60 in 10+ is completely unacceptable to me in a "sporty" car.

The non-turbo Clubman has less than 120 hp in a car that weighs over 3100lbs with Auto… I’m sorry that car is sluggish and I think I’m being polite. BTW, how is 3100+ “so light”. I think you could get away with the non S in the Hardtop with stick… that weighs in at about 2600lbs.

Interesting point… I was at the NY Auto Show and one of the MINI reps was explaining why most of the sporty limited editions of the car do not have the dual sunroof…it weights almost 200lbs. Wow the Clubman is not a light car.

J1huynh, you say that “gf drives a nissan rogue withe 170hp and it has the same acceleration (0-60mph) in about 8.6s. It feels sluggish but it's enough to commute I think” I don’t understand what you mean by “it has the same acceleration” It’s not the same, not even close.

You think 0-60 in 8.6 is sluggish… As I said, in the non-turbo Clubman you’re looking at 10.2+. Look for yourself on the MINIUSA web site.

I don’t know where you live or if you have any challenging roads or conditions. But I would go back to your local dealer and test drive the non S car. Find a hill or a busy highway on-ramp then make your decision.

In my book there's no such thing as too much HP.

2 more cents!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:15 AM
j1huynh
1st Gear
hi djdraddy. You are right. The 8.9 is for manual. With auto and sunroof, it'll be slower.. =( 10+ is too slow.. Anyhow, I'll test drive this weekend.. Gotta think about the options again..

Old 05-12-2010, 06:26 PM
j1huynh
1st Gear
Is it possible to order a 16" with non-run flat? or non-run flat only come with 15"?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:49 PM
djdraddy
Banned
J1huynh, I must be missing something here…Why do you want to avoid the run-flats?

BTW, I ordered my Clubman with the leatherette. I live at the beach and wet and sand don’t go well with cloth interiors. Also I can fool dumb people into believing its real leather, It’s real hard to do that with cloth.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Headlands
4th Gear
1. There's surely a bit of a sacrifice, but I have 17" wheels so I'm not the best person to answer this one.

2. The HK package is much better, without a doubt.

3. Not sure.

4.My Clubman S is quite fast. I personally recommend it highly, but if you're not going to drive it aggressively I'm sure the regular engine would be fine.

5. I don't remember how high above invoice I got mine for, but I got $1000 off from the sticker price, plus they added floor mats.

And by the way, the Clubman is only a little over 200 pounds heavier than the coupe if you get manual. EDIT: The sunroof does NOT add 200 pounds, either: the entire sunroof assembly is apparently between 55 and 61 lbs. Some say that the net gain is in the low 20s, but I've contacted MINI to find out for sure.

Last edited by Headlands; 05-13-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:41 PM
j1huynh
1st Gear
Originally Posted by djdraddy
J1huynh, I must be missing something here…Why do you want to avoid the run-flats?

BTW, I ordered my Clubman with the leatherette. I live at the beach and wet and sand don’t go well with cloth interiors. Also I can fool dumb people into believing its real leather, It’s real hard to do that with cloth.
Hi djdraddy,
I read somewhere on NAM that run-flat is the main cause of rough ride?(https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/clubman-talk-2008/188814-ditched-the-dunlop-run-flats.html) My gf/fiance (soon to be wife) will be driving the clubman later.. she has a concern about ride comfort since my prelude right now is pretty rough (w/ sport shock) =/ Plus, is the run-flat replacement pretty expensive?

Originally Posted by Headlands
1. There's surely a bit of a sacrifice, but I have 17" wheels so I'm not the best person to answer this one.

2. The HK package is much better, without a doubt.

3. Not sure.

4.My Clubman S is quite fast. I personally recommend it highly, but if you're not going to drive it aggressively I'm sure the regular engine would be fine.

5. I don't remember how high above invoice I got mine for, but I got $1000 off from the sticker price, plus they added floor mats.

And by the way, the Clubman is only a little over 200 pounds heavier than the coupe if you get manual. The sunroof does NOT add 200 pounds, either: the entire sunroof assembly might be that heavy, but it's replacing entire roof sections, so the net weight gain is only about 61 pounds.
Thanks headlands for your inputs. I will test price both versions.

Last edited by j1huynh; 05-12-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:27 PM
djdraddy
Banned
Headlands, I don't know where you are getting your "net 61 pounds" number, but I believe the actual net is much closer to the 200 pounds I was told. As I said, the information I added came from a MINI "Factory Rep" at the NY auto show who was very knowledgeable about the cars. He was actually talking about why the sunroof is not included in the high-perf special editions that MINI comes out with from time to time. Like.. Why would he lie? And I did go and check a bunch of those high perf special editions...not one had a sunroof. BTW, He also talked about that 200 lbs being so high in the car that it hurts the handling because it raises the center of gravity and roll center of the car. This part was a bit beyond my full understanding but it sounded good. One more thing he said is... you loose a little over 1.5" of headroom in the car with the sunroof.

This all made sense to me because back in my early years I once worked is a custom shop and we use to install sunroofs and T tops in cars and vans. The amount of sheet steel that is removed for that dual pane sunroof is about 8-10 square ft that would be about 20 pounds. So as I was told by the MINI "Factory Rep" the Clubman S with Auto and sunroof is about 3100. If you look at the MINIUSA website you will see the weight listed as 2900+ but that doesn't include that sunroof or any other options for that matter.

BTW I have the sunroof in my clubman S.

2 more cents

Old 05-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Headlands
4th Gear
Originally Posted by djdraddy
Headlands, I don't know where you are getting your "net 61 pounds" number, but I believe the actual net is much closer to the 200 pounds I was told. As I said, the information I added came from a MINI "Factory Rep" at the NY auto show who was very knowledgeable about the cars. He was actually talking about why the sunroof is not included in the high-perf special editions that MINI comes out with from time to time. Like.. Why would he lie? And I did go and check a bunch of those high perf special editions...not one had a sunroof. BTW, He also talked about that 200 lbs being so high in the car that it hurts the handling because it raises the center of gravity and roll center of the car. This part was a bit beyond my full understanding but it sounded good. One more thing he said is... you loose a little over 1.5" of headroom in the car with the sunroof.

This all made sense to me because back in my early years I once worked is a custom shop and we use to install sunroofs and T tops in cars and vans. The amount of sheet steel that is removed for that dual pane sunroof is about 8-10 square ft that would be about 20 pounds. So as I was told by the MINI "Factory Rep" the Clubman S with Auto and sunroof is about 3100. If you look at the MINIUSA website you will see the weight listed as 2900+ but that doesn't include that sunroof or any other options for that matter.

BTW I have the sunroof in my clubman S.

2 more cents
You could very well be right, but I did research this when buying my Clubman originally. There were a number of sources on the web where I found info to corroborate this. Here's one from the top of a Google search: http://www.mini2.com/forum/general-d...-revealed.html

And more recent ones from here -- make sure you read the entire threads (these say the weight is around 55 lbs and that the net gain is in the low 20s, actually): https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ss-weight.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-savings.html

I'm curious and just sent an email to MINI USA, will let you know what they reply.

Last edited by Headlands; 05-13-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Surfink
4th Gear
Go CooperS Clubman
Re:Runflats
I seem to have gotten used to them, they are noisy though
Re: Sunroof
A nice feature with some detracting qualities.
It does allow a nice airflow and open air quality to the vehicle.
It does add weight (55 or 60 Lbs. I believe) over head. Try lifting this amount of weight...
It does take up headroom space.
It does remove a large area of metal sheer Panel(roof of vehicle)
For me, driving on twisty roads with varying conditions and camber tends to put the emphasis on body strength and rigidity high on my list of wants..
These are my opinions, and I respect others' opinions and conclusions.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:13 PM
djdraddy
Banned
Headlands, I checked all the references you mentioned and save one, none of those guys has any clue what they are talking about.

The one guy who provided truly useful information was the guy from Waymotorworks who actually weighed a "complete assembly” from what appears to be a Gen 1 hardtop and that little unit weighed 55lbs. All the other “Guessers” where talking about a little Hardtop sunroof and saying 20 or so lbs. They were just wasting time. I have found that more than half of what I read on most “forums” is just wrong.

Considering that the little Gen 1 hardtop unit is 55, I’ll stick with my number of close to 200 complete for the much larger dual pane Clubman unit. I even think the glass in the Clubman is thicker then the Hardtop version. BTW I believe that the 55lbs determined by Waymotorworks appears to be for the bare assembly not including the assorted mounting brackets and hardware etc as it would be installed in the car.

Since this has become an issue I would like to provide a little clarification. The Mini Factory Rep I spoke with said the sunroof “adds like 200 lbs to the car” not exactly 200 and this was during a casual conversation about a different topic. So all I will say for sure is that I believe your 61 pounds number is way off, like by a factor of 2 at least. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Clubman sunroof unit itself came in at 140-150lbs. That would still put the weight of the Clubman with automatic at about 3100lbs. which is what I originally said and was my original point.
Cheers

Old 05-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Headlands
4th Gear
Good points, djdraddy. I'm fairly sure that it's the same assembly for the Clubman and hardtop, from what I've seen in the hardtops. The R53 was a dual pane panoramic sunroof as well, FYI, though it might be smaller.

I've emailed both MINI USA and my dealer to get their answer, since I simply really want to know. I'm not doubting you, but I just would like to hear it from a couple other reputable sources. I would still get a sunroof regardless, but now I'm just massively curious! Both have not emailed me back yet, but maybe one day they will.

Last edited by Headlands; 05-13-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Headlands
4th Gear
OK, we have an answer from two dealers: Nick Alexander and South Bay. I emailed South Bay and just called Nick Alexander. They both say that the sunroof adds a total of 55 lbs to the Clubman. The Nick Alexander guy said that it's the same assembly for the hardtop and the Clubman. I'm still waiting to hear back from MINI USA, but this is what I've got so far.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:24 PM
zsqure
3rd Gear
16" run flats are not rough riding. I have an 09 s w/ the 16" std rubber and it is so smooth compared to my '05 with 17" run flats. I know how difficult it is to keep the price down. No haggle from my dealer at all $500 returning customer discount is all they would do on an ordered car. They even had a hot chocolate jcw that had been on their lot for a good 8 months and wouldn't budge off sticker. Now, about this time last year there was a dealer in tennesee giving awesome deals on in stock minis. I would rather listen to the motor than the radio, save your money listen to the turbo spool up instead.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:40 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I may be going out on a limb here, but it seems to me that the best solution to your dilemma might be to consider a "gently-used" '08 or '09 Clubman S. Plenty of pep, prices down into the low $20k range, still under warranty and the MINI maintenance plan (at least for a little while longer) -- and someone else has already taken the "big hit" on depreciation. Yeah, it might take a bit of time and effort to find a really low-mileage vehicle, but unless you've just gotta have a brand-spankin' new car, I've personally found this is the most economical way to buy a well-optioned vehicle... And if you can't find a used Clubman with every option that you wanted, keep in mind that quite a number of MINI's "a la carte" options can be retrofitted...

If your local MINI dealer doesn't have the used vehicle you're looking for, check on web sites like AutoTrader (http://www.autotrader.com/). Often you can turn up a real buy from private individuals or at a (gasp) non-MINI dealer (in the case of the latter, I know of what I speak here...). And as with any used vehicle, take the time to check it out thoroughly so you don't end up with someone else's "problem child."

Since you're planning to use your Clubman for commuting (versus competition driving), I'd suggest that the issues surrounding the panorama roof are minor; from your perspective, the added weight (even 200 lbs) will only affect acceleration, and the vehicle will be plenty stable and stiff for normal driving. That said, I admit that I've never driven the base Clubman -- because I personally wasn't considering it over the Clubman S -- so I can't speak to it's acceleration capabilities. But if you go with a Clubman S, the question about added weight from the panorama roof effectively becomes moot; believe me: you won't think a Clubman S is "lugging" at any point...

Just to chime in on one last topic: I've just got the standard (non-H/K) stereo and USB/Bluetooth set-up in my JCW Clubman, and am satisfied with that. That being said, I will also admit that I'm not particularly fussy about sound quality in my vehicles either. Home audio is a different story; but to my ears, there's too much other ambient noise (e.g., from the tires, open windows or panorama roof, etc.) inside any car to really justify spending the extra money to achieve audiophile sound quality that ends up largely masked by everything else that's going on... But that's just my take on the question. About my only complaint with the basic USB connection for the iPod is there didn't seem to be any obvious place to stow your iPod -- until you discover the small cargo net in the passenger's footwell...

Old 05-14-2010, 12:46 PM
djdraddy
Banned
timfitz63, I concur completely with your observations. What you suggest is almost exactly what I actually did in my purchase. I was originally looking at MININEXT approved cars throughout the MINI Dealership Network. I found a 2008 almost exactly as I wanted at Princeton Mini in NJ. I had finalized the pricing and everything but I wanted to think about it over night. I made my decision and called them back to close the deal and the car was gone, SOLD. Boy did I feel like a dumd-***. I spent the next month looking for another car from Maine to Virginia to Chicago, nothing came along that was exactly what I wanted. Most of what was available from a dealer were 2009 Clubmans. The cars I liked ran in the mid 24k-26k range. When you consider the factory subsidies; Option Credits and .9% Financing on a 2010, both cars end up costing about the same… So, I ordered a new 2010. I’m Happy that I have a new car for what the 2009’s are going for.

The question regarding the sunroof weight was tangential to the issue of acceleration of the non-turbo Clubman. I said that I drove a non-turbo Clubman and I believe that the non-turbo car is “sluggish”. Well you can read the thread… My point was that the Clubman with auto and sunroof weighs in at over 3100lbs and has a 0-60 of 10.2+, “That’s sluggish”. Now, I really wanted say "In my opinion the non-turbo Clubman is a Pig”, but that would be impolitic. Anyway, j1huynh, raised the original set of questions and the acceleration issue arose from there. So its all his fault.

Bottom line. I recommended an extensive test drive of the non-turbo Clubman for anyone considering its purchase. The turbo thing is not something you can simply “upgrade” once you own the car.

Cheers

Quick Reply: R55 Thinking of getting a 2010 or 2011 Clubman