R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 DoS CAI Install for Beginners (or kinda anyway)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010 | 08:36 PM
donmiller714
|
1st Gear
DoS CAI Install for Beginners (or kinda anyway)

Just did an install of DoS's CAI and thought I'd put a few notes in to augment the instructions for those of us totally new to Mini mods. I will say this, the instructions provided were very easy to follow, just some of the pictures for we who don't know our way under the hood (not "mini" enough to use 'bonnet' yet) were a little hard to match up.

As you can see from the sig, I did this on a '10 Clubman. None of the pics were different from what I had under the hood so that was good. What follows are my experiences during the install. FTR, my skill level is low to moderate. I can do some stuff but I'm in no way a guy that is comfortable working on cars with the exception of some minor stuff. I was kinda nervous about dealing with trim pieces 'cause of this, but I got through it with only minor mishap (see below). Anyway, off we go, and in no particular order (sorry!):

1. When trimming the bulkhead to slip the hood release out, I had to cut a small notch, not just a single cut. I didn't like having to do this but it turned out ok (I did it with wire strippers!). It was hard to see in the pic, so when you're looking at it, you're gonna cut the notch from a 3 o'clock angle toward the release cable (assuming you're standing upright, facing the bulkhead from the front of the car).

2. DON'T BREAK THE CLIPS FROM THE TOP PIECE TO THE BULKHEAD! I did, and it makes me sick to think of it being broken. However in my first test run I didn't hear any abnormal rattling or anything so I think I'm ok.

3. DON'T CUT YOUR BULKHEAD BELOW THE BLUE LINE! Again, I did, just a little, then found out why. The wall thickness of the bulkhead increases there, making it harder to get the weather stripping pressed down onto that section. The stripping is definitely cut perfectly to size and I'm sure had I drilled the hole correctly I wouldn't have a problem. In any case I managed to get through it by prying the grove wider for that section.

4. Be sure to see how the bulkhead fits before you remove it. I didn't, and had to figure it out while putting it back in. It rests on top of the panel along the bulkhead's bottom edge and there are slot bushings (?) on either side near the strut towers that it rests in.

5. Not in the instructions was to remove the cable from the hood switch. I assume it was a hood switch anyway. The switch is on the right near the top and it's easy to spot. I unplugged the connector and that was it.

6. The release lever for the wiring pack on the right (when standing in front facing the car) is on the left side of the pack.

7,. Don't drop the plastic bulkhead fastner nuts!!! Again, I DID, but luckily (in my case anyway) I was able to open the door and fish it out.

8. Drilling the bulkhead was easy, but again, don't go below the blue line! Also, have a good knife to cut away the fins as instructed. Again, I had a crappy tool (single edge razor blade in a holder) to trim up. It all worked, but the right tools always make the job easier.

I think that's about it. What's that? You want to know how it it performs?

Awesome! I've only had it out a little bit as of this writing, but the first thing I noticed performance wise is that it seems like M2 winds up way faster, more like M1. And of course the sound! I like the blow-off valve sound, the massive air draw during acceleration is also cool, but the blow-off is better IMO. During cruise, it's just like stock so no worries.

Great product Clint! Highly recommend!!! Now I'm off to my rear sway bar!!!

Old 05-12-2010 | 08:51 PM
mellanor
2nd Gear
Nice post - certainly helpful for folks installing this fantastic CAI.

I STRONGLY recommend buying the pre-cut bulkhead from Clint at DoS. Why?
1. You will be certain that it is cut correctly
2. Installation will be faster
3. You can put back the original bulkhead and intake should you ever want to sell.

I only wish I had followed my own advice...

Old 05-12-2010 | 09:39 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Kudos to the OP for taking the time to do this write up. I know it will help others in the future when they do this install.

I got the pre-drilled bulkhead as well. It comes with the bulb weather stripping pre-installed.

Even though Clint shipped both parts to me at the same time I got the intake delivered on a Thursday and did not see the weather stripping in the box. So I panicked a bit as I was getting help to do the install in 2 days on a Saturday but luckily the pre-drilled bulkhead showed up the next day Friday with the weather stripping pre-installed.

I have posted lots of pics on NAM of the intake installed in my JCW and a few videos too. Clint is great to deal with. This is definitely a quality part well worth having on your car.

Moderators: This should be posted in the how-to section or in the 2nd Generation MINIs/Modifications/ Drivetrain (Cooper S) sub forum since it is not specific to the Clubman but to all 2nd gen Cooper S MINIs.

Old 05-12-2010 | 10:28 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Thank you!

I appreciate the highly descriptive install feedback, Don. I'm glad that the CAI install came together. (Some installs do go more smoothly than others .)

I do need to add some notes concerning the factory alarm (that hood switch you unplugged) so I appreciate the reminder.

Have a great night. Glad you're enjoying the CAI!

-Clint