R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman Rear Wiper Delete?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010 | 06:30 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Well you are wrong there. There are a lot of modded clubman out there.

This may not be very scientific but here goes. At the MOTD 2010 car show there were 4 clubman, and by my count from some pictures at least 16 coops. Lets forget about stripes and graphics as this would make the clubman number of modified cars at 100%, and not realistic. So of the 4 clubman 2 had major modifications, or 50%. And of the coops there were 5-6 that had some major modifications, or about 30%...

...And BTW I know of at least 3 other clubmans at MOTD there were "highly" modified that were not in the car show. One of those was yours....
What do you consider major modifications? I can only think of 2 heavily modified clubmans at MOTD 2010 and even they are barely "heavily". I don't consider things like vinyl stripes, or dealer added spoilers to be enough to qualify a car as "modified". Maybe I missed some other ones, but I'm pretty sure I got a glimpse at most of the clubmans.

Just take a stroll through the "show us your clubman" thread. Beyond the simple mods like vinyl (roof, stripes, beltline), dealer add-ons/options (spoilers, scuttles, etc), or quick little accessories (quirky badges, shorty antenna,etc), they're few and far between.

I'm not trying to say that being stock is a bad thing. I'm sorry if it comes off that way. I think all MINI's are great as long as the owner loves the car. I'm just making an observation.

Wrong again. As I stated before it is not negativity but REALITY.
It's negative and un-helpful when asked "Does anyone have pictures of ___" to respond with "You don't want to do that".

And as I pointed out, although it may be YOUR personal opinion that the rear wipers are needed...others may feel differently. Your opinion is just that...an opinion. Not reality. I've had both mine turned off (I'm using their fuses for something different) and I've been doing long road trips to events like MOTD through the harsh rain storms that keep hitting the midwest and not once did I have a problem navigating without using the rear wipers. It's a personal opinion and the OP has the right to see pictures even if other members view the wipers as necessary. The OP question was not "Do you think this is a good idea?" Or "Would you do this?".

see line above about even needing them on clear sunny days. Where I live they are really needed.
Maybe it really is just where we live...but I just can't imagine not being able to see out the back windows on a sunny day even if you only were to wash the car once every three months. I know hatchbacks are notorious for kicking up some dust but it's not like they're covering the whole hatch with thick mud and blocking the windows.

Again, I've driven for a year without rear wipers and have had zero issues. I don't even wash my car weekly and I'm in a state that gets plenty or rain, snow, salt, pollen.

Either way, it's not a reality that the wipers are needed. It's a personal preference....as is shown by the shear number of coupe owners that drive around with deleted wipers and no problems. I'm not convince that the subtle angle change on the clubman hatch is enough to make it any dirtier than a coupe. That certainly hasn't been my personal experience. My r55 boot gets just as dirty as my r50 always did.

Surely not my idea of a safety car if they have trouble seeing out the back windows.
Safety car as in pace car for the MINI race series. I highly doubt it has any problems doing that safely.

Old 05-25-2010 | 06:34 AM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Where can you get the plugs? I want to do mine.

Old 05-25-2010 | 06:37 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ron-s mini
Where can you get the plugs? I want to do mine.
The ones posted on the scions, and used on the MINI coupes are found at your local Home Depot or Lowe's. They're plastic plugs (often black) and are found in the hardware isle where they have all those pull out drawers filled with nuts and bolts. Towards one end of the isle there is generally a few drawers with misc hardware items. One of them should have a picture of a plug on there and it will have a whole bunch of different diameters inside. They're usually quite cheap.

I haven't taken my wipers off the clubman so I'm not sure what diameter the hole is.

If you want to color match them, you'll want to get some plastic primer and a color-matched can of paint/clearcoat.

Old 05-25-2010 | 06:46 AM
Xeraux
4th Gear
Oooh... We're really splitting hairs, now. Do tinted windows count as a "mod"? I just want to make sure.

Old 05-25-2010 | 06:56 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Xeraux
Oooh... We're really splitting hairs, now. Do tinted windows count as a "mod"? I just want to make sure.
Sure they count as a "modification" in that they're changed. Would I consider a stock car with just tinted windows a modified car? No. Personal opinion/semantics.

But instead of continuing further off topic with subjective opinions, we could return to helping the OP learn more about the wiper delete and help him visualize it

Old 05-25-2010 | 04:20 PM
3one3
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
On topic again. Here's how it looks truly shaved with welded and repainted holes (you'll notice the antenna was shaved as well)

Now this is what I'm talking about! This looks great!

Found some pictures of a car with unpainted plugs installed. Clubmans get modded more often over in Japan

After seeing this one, however, I'm not so sure about the plug idea. Although it would probably be a lot less distracting in body color.

Old 06-04-2010 | 02:56 PM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
Interesting on rear wiper usage. Other than in rain, mine only get used when I accidentially turn them on. Dirt has never been an issue in Boston. I would be interested in a mod that removes the barn doors and adds a lift gate. Just not a fan of the 2 doors from a usability point of view.

Old 06-04-2010 | 03:10 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 3one3

After seeing this one, however, I'm not so sure about the plug idea. Although it would probably be a lot less distracting in body color.
We'll see in a little while. My wipers are off and the motors are removed. I'm just waiting on some plugs I ordered. Gonna try something a little different from the lowe's plug I used on my R50. Should be a bit flusher with the body and easier to install

For those interested, the hole under the wiper is 1" in diameter with a little tab hole on the perimeter of the circle.

Old 06-04-2010 | 03:13 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Sure want to see some pics when it's done -- Thanks

Old 06-04-2010 | 04:45 PM
Price
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Xeraux

Similar question: as a non-smoker, I removed the ash tray and the cig. lighter. Does this count as a mod? If so, one or two?

Old 06-05-2010 | 11:20 AM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
We've had our clubman for a little over a month now and we haven't had to use our rear wipers yet, and we have had a good amount of rainy days.
Don't even know how to turn those bad boys on

I'll try and talk the wifey into this mod. Looks killer. I love the look of the shaved handles as well.

We're working on shaving the reflectors as well.
Mods are growing, will post pics soon.

Old 06-07-2010 | 08:07 AM
hardingsan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Copywrites
I I would be interested in a mod that removes the barn doors and adds a lift gate. Just not a fan of the 2 doors from a usability point of view.

now that would be a mod!

Old 06-07-2010 | 08:44 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
I haven't had my MINI very long, but I use the rear wipers alot! I was driving from Portland to Seattle yesterday and it was pouring rain the whole time. Without the rear wipers I wouldn't have been able to see out the back at all.
Removing the rear wipers looks cool, but it would be counterproductive here in the Pacific Northwest.

A single piece rear hatch would be interesting, just as a fabricating exercise, but then it would be like every other hatchback on the road. The twin doors are unusual which was a big plus for me when I bought my Clubman.
Yesterday, when loading up the back for my trip, I liked that I could open just one of the doors and cram soft luggage into the other side much tighter than I could have done with a single opening.

Dave

Old 06-07-2010 | 10:14 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I haven't had my MINI very long, but I use the rear wipers alot! I was driving from Portland to Seattle yesterday and it was pouring rain the whole time. Without the rear wipers I wouldn't have been able to see out the back at all.
Removing the rear wipers looks cool, but it would be counterproductive here in the Pacific Northwest.

A single piece rear hatch would be interesting, just as a fabricating exercise, but then it would be like every other hatchback on the road. The twin doors are unusual which was a big plus for me when I bought my Clubman.
Yesterday, when loading up the back for my trip, I liked that I could open just one of the doors and cram soft luggage into the other side much tighter than I could have done with a single opening.

Dave
This thread is not about should this mod be done, but instead about how it can best be done. How about you guys quit crapping in the OP's thread with your opinions on what he's doing?

Last edited by Mini Fireman; 06-07-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-07-2010 | 10:20 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Being a little picky there aren't you, Fireman?
I just gave my opinion, I said it would be cool but that it wouldn't work for me, in my part of the country.

Take a pill and calm down!

Dave

Old 06-07-2010 | 11:17 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Terry F.
No prob. I'm here to help. Sorry that I have a counter-opinion to yours.
Forgive me if I don't give your insult much value.

I find it hard to take an insult regarding reduced automotive visibility from someone with 33% tint on all windows seriously. You've effectively reduced the amount of light allowed into your vehicle by 77%. In low light situations such as, let's say a rainstorm, you're really limiting the visibility...probably more so than someone who has a little water and a bit of road grime on their rear window.

33% tint on windows- Limits your visibility by 77% every day, rain or shine, out both side and rear windows.

Rear wiper delete- Limits your visibility through just the rear window only on the rare days that it's raining.

Hmmmmm....

Old 06-07-2010 | 11:18 AM
hardingsan
4th Gear
besides, if you really want to know what's behind you, you still have the side views...

Old 06-07-2010 | 11:25 AM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
Call me a moron and keep posted for pics!

Old 06-07-2010 | 11:28 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Lagston@VinylStyles
Call me a moron and keep posted for pics!

Hey Moron, the plugs just arrived in the mail and I got around to test fitting them. They work wonderfully. I got some extras if you're interested. I'm sure you could work your wonders with the vinyl to color match them to your clubby

Old 06-07-2010 | 12:00 PM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
Hey Moron, the plugs just arrived in the mail and I got around to test fitting them. They work wonderfully. I got some extras if you're interested. I'm sure you could work your wonders with the vinyl to color match them to your clubby
Yeah!! That would be awesome.
Would love to get them filled eventually, but may need to re-install them at some point.
Maybe I'll pick up a clubby myself and shave everything

Old 06-07-2010 | 12:05 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Yeah!! That would be awesome.
Would love to get them filled eventually, but may need to re-install them at some point.
Maybe I'll pick up a clubby myself and shave everything
Yah I'm in the same boat. These new plugs I've got should make it easier to un-install and revert back to stock or shaved when the time comes. No sticky sealant or anything, and no difficult to reach clips. Email me your address

Old 06-07-2010 | 12:07 PM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
Sweet man! Will do.
I'm assuming the hoses need to be clamped/plugged like the previous gen MINI's?

Old 06-07-2010 | 12:11 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Sweet man! Will do.
I'm assuming the hoses need to be clamped/plugged like the previous gen MINI's?

No, on clubmans you don't have any hoses to clamp. The hoses/sprayers aren't located in the wiper like they are on the hatchbacks. On the clubman they're up under the 3rd brake light.

Old 06-07-2010 | 12:12 PM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
Oh that's right! NICE!

Old 06-07-2010 | 12:32 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Oh that's right! NICE!
Yah, it's a pretty straight forward and quick mod.

PS I didn't realize it was your b-day. Happy birthday! The plugs can be my present to you

Quick Reply: R55 Clubman Rear Wiper Delete?