R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman Rear Wiper Delete?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Differences of opinion are allowed, however name calling and attacking the intelligence of other members of the board is prohibited. Please keep this on topic.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:29 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rally - Lyle

Sure would like to see some pictures and details about the plugs.

Thanks

Old 06-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ron-s mini
Rally - Lyle

Sure would like to see some pictures and details about the plugs.

Thanks
I'll get some pics for you soon. Have one more part to collect before the plugs are ready

Old 06-08-2010, 08:22 PM
3one3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
I'll get some pics for you soon. Have one more part to collect before the plugs are ready
This is great news, bro! I'm very excited to see the result. Please let me know what I need to get this done

You rock!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 3one3
This is great news, bro! I'm very excited to see the result. Please let me know what I need to get this done

You rock!
If you're down, I've got another set of plugs for you as well. I bought 8 just for fun.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:01 PM
3one3
3rd Gear
If you're down, I've got another set of plugs for you as well. I bought 8 just for fun.
I'm definitely down! Just let me know how much it will run me! When will you have your pics up?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
I'm definitely down! Just let me know how much it will run me! When will you have your pics up?
Depends on when I can get some free time from work. Might not be till this weekend.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Here's some pictures of the plugs I'm using. I have to let the clear coat settle before installing them.

Hot chocolate is a hard color to spray because of all the gold flake in it, but I think i got it this time. Pretty happy with the outcome so far. Nice glossy clear coat and everything :D

And here's the basis of the wiper delete plugs that I've been working on. Threaded body and a nice low profile head. The center piece you see is a rubber sealing washer and it's all held on by a hand-twist nut. Offers a cool alternative to the usual Lowe's plug and RTV sealant technique. It's nice and easy to install, no messy sealant, and super easy to revert back to stock.

Last edited by Rally@StanceDesign; 06-11-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:42 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Looks great - there going to be really nice installed!

Where did you get the plugs?

Thanks for being a "pioneer" and sorry about all those arrows in your back.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:04 AM
SidSwiftsteel
3rd Gear
Nice solution! (well done, as usual)

Looks easily removed for lets say winter time when the rear wiper comes in handy once in a while here in Maryland.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:38 AM
3one3
3rd Gear
Oh my gosshhhh...now that is what I am talking about! That is going to look phenomenal considering how flush the appear to be! Can't wait to snag a set

Old 06-15-2010, 12:24 PM
3one3
3rd Gear
Any pics installed, Rally?

Old 07-05-2010, 09:44 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I put Rain-X on the front and rear windows of my Clubman.
Yesterday, I drove it in the rain for the fist time since I applied the Rain-X. I didn't need to use the wipers front or rear even once, and it was a fairly heavy rain!

If you delete the rear wiper, you should definitely Rain-X the windows!

Dave

Old 07-05-2010, 07:44 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Just completed mine and I like it.

Plugs are matte black -- but I have spares and plan to experiment with gloss black and body color (chili red) when I have more time.

Last edited by ron-s mini; 07-05-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:23 AM
hardingsan
4th Gear
do you have any more shots of the beltline trim in body color? that's an interesting idea...

Old 07-09-2010, 10:27 AM
SidSwiftsteel
3rd Gear
Awww... the black plugs give your Clubman a smiley face

Old 07-09-2010, 08:30 PM
caveman_dave
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Copywrites
I would be interested in a mod that removes the barn doors and adds a lift gate. Just not a fan of the 2 doors from a usability point of view.
No, dont do it, its been done here in UK, it now looks like a herse. Not a pretty scene, the two doors makes Clubman stand out.

Forgive me if I don't give your insult much value.

I find it hard to take an insult regarding reduced automotive visibility from someone with 33% tint on all windows seriously. You've effectively reduced the amount of light allowed into your vehicle by 77%. In low light situations such as, let's say a rainstorm, you're really limiting the visibility...probably more so than someone who has a little water and a bit of road grime on their rear window.

33% tint on windows- Limits your visibility by 77% every day, rain or shine, out both side and rear windows.

Rear wiper delete- Limits your visibility through just the rear window only on the rare days that it's raining.

Hmmmmm....
Hmmmm how does 33% tint reduce your visibility be 77%, in my head 77% and 33% = 110% so I find it a little difficult to understand how someone can throw insults at someone when they cannot do basic mathematics.

I do however appreciate your logic, but on the days that the roads are damp the amount of much sucked up the back makes it impossible to see anything if you dont wipe the rear. I dont think deleting rear wipers is a good idea, but each to there own.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:33 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by caveman_dave
Hmmmm how does 33% tint reduce your visibility be 77%, in my head 77% and 33% = 110% so I find it a little difficult to understand how someone can throw insults at someone when they cannot do basic mathematics.
Really? We need to go here again? He made a math error in his post. Do you really think that discredits the points of his argument?

I do however appreciate your logic, but on the days that the roads are damp the amount of much sucked up the back makes it impossible to see anything if you dont wipe the rear. I dont think deleting rear wipers is a good idea, but each to there own.
I'll say it again...this thread is not meant as a debate of IF it should be done, but rather on how to do it. Why restart an argument now?

Old 07-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor

Oh you really got me good on that one . Pointing out a simple math error that I made in a quick post on the internet over a month ago. Bravo

It's raining today and I drove around town on very dirty roads (at the beach where the roads are covered in sand and muck) and obviously my wipers are gone. Not once did I have an issue with visibility. This has been the case for all the driving since I did this mod a month ago and the car has been on a long road trip and the usual daily trips around town. Zero issues. Just speaking from experience now that I've tested it through various conditions.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:55 PM
jgohlke
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some folks feel pretty strongly about their rear wipers. Kind of surprising to me. I've owned my clubbie for a little over a year and I think I turned them on once. They just made a smeary mess out of the rear windows. I never turned them on again. Apparently they even have squirters...I don't even know how to activate the rear squirt....

For the record, I don't keep my car that clean and it rains a lot here in Central Florida. Almost every day during the summer.

Earlier this week I replaced my front wipers. I thought about replacing the rears but figured since I never use them, I wouldn't bother.

For those that have taken them off, i think the car looks a lot better without them.

I did get a chuckle out of putting $10 wipers on my car and throwing the old ones away including the one with little spoiler on it. I can only imaging how much Mini charges for new wipers....

Old 07-16-2010, 07:50 AM
3one3
3rd Gear
Any updated pics, Rally??

Old 07-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Any updated pics, Rally??

Old 08-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Yeah.ThatsRice.
3rd Gear
Well, today I decided to give this a shot, and went to home depot to find a decent solution for a plug.

For 5 bucks, I picked up a pair of sink hole covers. They are in the plumbing aisle of home depot, and come in chrome, white, and copper. I'll post pictures tomorrow when it's light out (and if I remember)

It came out really well, I just sprayed on a few layers of plastidip, and I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Xeraux
You don't want to do that. You really do need the rear wipers on the Clubman.
Just as a little update/review since I've had them deleted for a few months now.

Despite driving through all sorts of weather, still haven't encountered any visibility issues.

As an example, here's a quick pic after about 2 straight hours of driving in all sorts of rain/muck/snow/salt/grime. While a tad hazy, you can see that visibility is barely effected and I had no issue seeing behind me at any time throughout the trip. This is mid-winter in northeastern Ohio so the roads are about as grimey and salty as they get.

Still quite happy with this mod and have zero complaints

Old 01-09-2011, 04:03 PM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ron-s mini
Where did you get the plugs?
He can correct me if I'm wrong, but they look like the button plugs you'd use for 'deleting' a button from an arcade machine's control panel...

http://www.happcontrols.com/pushbuttons/52621200.htm

Interested in the methodology behind the reflector delete... Are they just stuck on or is that a 'fill / sand / paint' proposition?

Quick Reply: R55 Clubman Rear Wiper Delete?