R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman secrets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 07:54 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Hre's another one I just found out about.
When you pop the right side back door open with the fob button and then open the left side back door, the right side door will open up all the way too!

Dave

Old 09-08-2010, 05:29 PM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DneprDave
Hre's another one I just found out about.
When you pop the right side back door open with the fob button and then open the left side back door, the right side door will open up all the way too!

Dave
My Clubman doors kinda do that but not consistently. Using the FOB button, or just using the door pull latch, opens the right door about 6". Then if I pull the left door open, .....just right..., the right door opens all the way. Only because a piece of the rubber seal at the top of the left door protrude out and bumps the right door a bit as left door is moved. I don't think this was an intentional design?

Old 09-08-2010, 06:08 PM
oh mini me
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sunroof

Hi All..........
If you install the auto open n close sunroof kit by KP tech, it will open all the way
johnny

Originally Posted by timfitz63
Sunroof on my '09 Clubman only vents; it doesn't open all the way using this "fob feature."

Agree. Gotta hold the fob button down until after the windows go down all the way in order to get the sunroof to vent. If you let go of the button or inadvertently ease up on it, it will interrupt the process.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:57 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Okay... found one more.

It's not a secret, but for some reason I didn't pay attention to it on the standard list: - Hill Start Assist for vehicles equipped with standard transmissions.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:45 AM
BWclubman
Neutral
That made teaching my wife how to drive stick in her mini so much easier. I think Subaru is also using hill assist in their sticks. Great feature for new drivers...and old alike.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:34 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Studebaker had hill assist first first. I'm surprised all car companies don't offer it.

Dave

Old 09-10-2010, 06:27 PM
lakersguy
2nd Gear
convenience package here too .... windows up ^ ....windows down v

Old 09-11-2010, 05:55 PM
amusingdream
2nd Gear
in reverse, the boot window wipers go faster.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:06 AM
vereinmann
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mbu
Okay... found one more.

It's not a secret, but for some reason I didn't pay attention to it on the standard list: - Hill Start Assist for vehicles equipped with standard transmissions.
cars with auto trans have hill start assist as well

Old 09-12-2010, 02:04 PM
mbu
4th Gear
It sure is neat what can be done with this "fly-by-wire" technology. I wonder how long it will take them to use an "engageable/dis-engageable" crankshaft that will allow cylinders to be used/ not-used when power requirements dictate. It would be a variable horsepower engine.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:16 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Cadillac did that in the '80s, only they just left selected valves open and closed on the unused cylinders, so that the engine wasn't affected by the compression, or draw fuel into the unused cylinders. Remember the Cadillac 4-6-8 engine?

Dave

Old 09-23-2010, 07:45 AM
mastawyrm
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mbu
Wow, I didn't know that one! I tried it and sure enough it works. Okay, logic tells me that if I hold my "lock" button on the fob down for a few seconds it would close the window and close the sunroof - right? Wrong! Anyway, I took the key out of the fob and turned it clockwise and it locked the doors, closed the windows, and closed the sunroof.

Thanks Dave!

Anymore secrets?
This part irks me, on a rental bmw I had the lock button DOES roll everything up. Why don't our cars do that?

Old 09-23-2010, 07:48 PM
ATL Clubman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mbu
Okay... found one more.

It has a time limit though. After a few seconds (not sure how many) the brake system cuts loose and you WILL roll (backward).

I like the hill assist, which I think is actually part of the ABS system, but I get too used to it and it can cause problems when I drive my wife's R53. I have thought I had hill assist when I didn't. It is also a challenge to go from my 6-speed with R toward the front to the left of 1st to her 5-speed with R toward the rear near 4th. I almost launched her car through the front garage wall "backing out" one time!

TH

Old 09-24-2010, 08:58 AM
User 12822
Neutral
Originally Posted by ATL Clubman
...It is also a challenge to go from my 6-speed with R toward the front to the left of 1st to her 5-speed with R toward the rear near 4th. I almost launched her car through the front garage wall "backing out" one time!
TH
I've actually had the opposite problem, being a new MINI owner (3 weeks in). In my last vehicle (Audi A4, 6 spd. standard) you had to push down on the gear shift to go into reverse, so I got used to jamming it all the way left and sliding up to get into first. Of course, that position is reverse on my Clubman.

I've freaked out drivers behind me on more than one occasion already when I've started to fly backward after the light turns green. That'll teach people to keep creeping up behind me, impatiently waiting for a light!

Old 09-29-2010, 05:42 AM
chrisinbaltimore
1st Gear
Radio Presets are different for each key!

The radio presets seem to be memorized on the key fob - when I took my wife's key the other day there were no presets. This was just after an accessory installation so I assumed the battery had been disconnected and they were lost. When I got home I switched back to my key and they were all there. I find this very cool! Now she can have her own presets when she drives (if I ever let her drive!).

Old 09-29-2010, 06:36 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisinbaltimore
The radio presets seem to be memorized on the key fob - when I took my wife's key the other day there were no presets. This was just after an accessory installation so I assumed the battery had been disconnected and they were lost. When I got home I switched back to my key and they were all there. I find this very cool! Now she can have her own presets when she drives (if I ever let her drive!).
Not just the radio presets. The key FOB will remember if the CD player OR radio was on/ off and resume on the track or station.
Many of the programmed functions in Tach menu are saved as well. (Auto locking, 3 vs 1 turn signal etc).

One thing I have to remember is to push the lock/unlock on the FOB I want to use or the settings do not change over. (We have a bad habit of not locking our cars in our own driveway) .... If my wife drove the car last and I get in without using the FOB or CA unlock button, then the settings will still be hers even if I start the car and drive away (using my CA FOB).
In that case if I want my settings I have to stop..... turn off the engine.... press a FOB button..... start back up and go....... kind of annoying. Have done that A time or 2 at a stoplight.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:58 AM
gregc
2nd Gear
Interesting stuff. It's amazing how they've 'networked' the entire car.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:45 AM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
Originally Posted by klricks
Not just the radio presets. The key FOB will remember if the CD player OR radio was on/ off and resume on the track or station.
Many of the programmed functions in Tach menu are saved as well. (Auto locking, 3 vs 1 turn signal etc).

One thing I have to remember is to push the lock/unlock on the FOB I want to use or the settings do not change over. (We have a bad habit of not locking our cars in our own driveway) .... If my wife drove the car last and I get in without using the FOB or CA unlock button, then the settings will still be hers even if I start the car and drive away (using my CA FOB).
In that case if I want my settings I have to stop..... turn off the engine.... press a FOB button..... start back up and go....... kind of annoying. Have done that A time or 2 at a stoplight.
It will also remember interior lighting settings, DRL settings, 1 or 3 clicks on the turn signal, and many more things.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:52 AM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
It is amazing how some people have NO idea what they have in the Clubman! Last week I was in Jacksonville, Fl, where I was playing golf (Sawgrass!), and my mom wanted me to meet her friends. Of course I agreed. During the conversation the MINI comment came up, and to my amazement they had a Clubman! I have never met another MINI owner before through family, and this was a treat! This couple in their 70's had a racing green auto non-S clubman. I went out into the garage to take a look - and there it was (parked next to a pristine 1971 yellow Corvette!). As we talked about his MINI I reached over and said "Do you know about this?" and popped open the "Hidden" glove Box - his mouth immediately dropped and he was amazed - he didn't know about it! He immediately told his wife and stated that he owned the car for almost two years - and never knew it!
The next night we went to dinner with them, and he discovered the joys of auto windows and sunroof venting when you hold the unlock button down!
BTW - they absolutely love the MINI Clubman - and drive it everywhere - even to the Corvette Club drive/meet (when the Yellow Corvette was on the fritz!).

Old 09-29-2010, 03:21 PM
hollyross
2nd Gear
The only place on the car where it say's Clubman in on the right sill under the third door....other than manufacturer's stickers of course.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:31 PM
zminicooper
1st Gear
[quote=mbu;3085216]Wow, I didn't know that one! I tried it and sure enough it works. Okay, logic tells me that if I hold my "lock" button on the fob down for a few seconds it would close the window and close the sunroof - right? Wrong! Anyway, I took the key out of the fob and turned it clockwise and it locked the doors, closed the windows, and closed the sunroof.]

Actually you can close up the windows and the sunroof. Take the metal key out of the fob and put it in the handle lock. Turn it so the doors lock and hold it there. A few seconds later the windows and sunroof will close

Old 03-13-2011, 06:50 AM
jcwrocket
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hollyross
The only place on the car where it say's Clubman in on the right sill under the third door....other than manufacturer's stickers of course.
Not always true. If you have a JCW your door sills will say "John Cooper Works" and not Clubman.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Foxy Mini Girl
Neutral
I just bought my Clubman and didn't know the unlock button could open the windows and vent the sunroof. I do not have the convenience package so I was thrilled to see that it worked. I just wish if I pressed the lock button everything would close up again!

Old 05-11-2011, 05:49 PM
AtHomeDaddy
Neutral
Same here!

I don not have the sunroof, but I really was missing the remote window roll-down capabilities from my old VW Beetle. It is a super useful feature down here where it is already nearing 100 degrees in the afternoons.

Originally Posted by Foxy Mini Girl
I just bought my Clubman and didn't know the unlock button could open the windows and vent the sunroof. I do not have the convenience package so I was thrilled to see that it worked. I just wish if I pressed the lock button everything would close up again!

Old 05-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Dreaming
1st Gear
Did you know if you hold the switch for the mood lights until they blink then they will rotate through the different colors automatically. Pretty cool.

Quick Reply: R55 Clubman secrets?