R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman secrets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 05:31 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clubman secrets?

This is probably spelled out in BIG BOLD WORDS in the manual but I missed it!

About an hour ago I went out to my Clubman to get some of my papers I was going to work on this evening. I grabbed the key fob and got my papers but when I tried to lock the doors they would click down and then immediately pop up. I tried about four times with the same result. Sheesh, now what? My first thought was that the fob battery was going out so I went back to the house for the spare. Hey, the "extra" fob was nowhere to be found. Hmmmm... could it be in the ignition? Yep!

So I just learned that the door can't be locked with a key in the ignition! Pretty clever!! Too bad the engineer that designed that feature could have also designed the light in the "boot"!

Are there any other surprises I should know about?

Old 07-06-2010, 05:53 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
If you press the unlock button, on the fob, and hold it a few seconds, the sunroof will open and the windows will roll down. Kinda neat on a hot day!

Dave

Old 07-06-2010, 08:08 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
If you press the unlock button, on the fob, and hold it a few seconds, the sunroof will open and the windows will roll down. Kinda neat on a hot day!

Dave

Wow, I didn't know that one! I tried it and sure enough it works. Okay, logic tells me that if I hold my "lock" button on the fob down for a few seconds it would close the window and close the sunroof - right? Wrong! Anyway, I took the key out of the fob and turned it clockwise and it locked the doors, closed the windows, and closed the sunroof.

Thanks Dave!

Anymore secrets?

Last edited by mbu; 07-06-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:21 AM
MINILLA
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave
Does the sunroof just tilt open (which mine does) or does it slide back also (which mine does not)....on my 03 Cooper the sunroof slides back also......
Philip

Old 07-07-2010, 05:31 AM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
HUH, when I unlock and then hold the unlock button down for 4 seconds only the windows go down, the sunroof is unaffected.
Additionally, I think that another unique feature (just my observation - real or imagined), is that when the sunroof is open the AC will only blow on your legs and not out of the upper vents...at least I have that happen to me..

Old 07-07-2010, 06:37 AM
MINILLA
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mrmagoo
HUH, when I unlock and then hold the unlock button down for 4 seconds only the windows go down, the sunroof is unaffected.
Additionally, I think that another unique feature (just my observation - real or imagined), is that when the sunroof is open the AC will only blow on your legs and not out of the upper vents...at least I have that happen to me..
Keep the button depressed longer after the windows have gone down...se if it works then.
Philip

Old 07-07-2010, 07:08 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINILLA
Does the sunroof just tilt open (which mine does) or does it slide back also (which mine does not)....on my 03 Cooper the sunroof slides back also......
Philip
Sunroof on my '09 Clubman only vents; it doesn't open all the way using this "fob feature."

Keep the button depressed longer after the windows have gone down...se [sic] if it works then.
Philip
Agree. Gotta hold the fob button down until after the windows go down all the way in order to get the sunroof to vent. If you let go of the button or inadvertently ease up on it, it will interrupt the process.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:40 AM
donmiller714
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mbu
Wow, I didn't know that one! I tried it and sure enough it works. Okay, logic tells me that if I hold my "lock" button on the fob down for a few seconds it would close the window and close the sunroof - right? Wrong! Anyway, I took the key out of the fob and turned it clockwise and it locked the doors, closed the windows, and closed the sunroof.

Thanks Dave!

Anymore secrets?

...didn't know that one! Thanks!

Old 07-08-2010, 10:21 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Yeah, hold down the unlock button. After the doors unlock the windows roll down almost immediately and then a couple of seconds later both sunroofs vent, front does not slide back.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Scooter09
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have the comfort access buttons on the door handles; if the windows are open and you hold the button down, they close. Also, if you leave your keys in the boot, the door will keep reopening when you close it.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:45 AM
Prost
4th Gear
Originally Posted by njeltema
If you have the comfort access buttons on the door handles; if the windows are open and you hold the button down, they close. Also, if you leave your keys in the boot, the door will keep reopening when you close it.
Something new to me...I will try tonight.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:27 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mbu

Thanks Dave!

Anymore secrets?
One note: another person on this board warned people to not do this all the time: it's very hard on the key fob battery.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:18 AM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by beasleyboy
One note: another person on this board warned people to not do this all the time: it's very hard on the key fob battery.
Well, I wouldn't need it for 3 seasons out of 4...

Old 09-03-2010, 05:41 AM
HWY129
2nd Gear
And also keep in mind that this is part of the convenience package - if you don't have it on your car, these cute little tricks don't work....

Old 09-03-2010, 06:02 AM
MINILLA
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dragon129
And also keep in mind that this is part of the convenience package - if you don't have it on your car, these cute little tricks don't work....
I don't have the convenience package, and it wasn't on my 2003 Cooper either but.....they work for me. As regards draining the battery...I used the key fob to open the windows/roof several times a week for the 7 years we had our Cooper.....no problems ever!
Philip

Old 09-03-2010, 08:26 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
I don't have the convenience package, and it wasn't on my 2003 Cooper either but.....they work for me.
Mine doesn't have the Convenience Package either, and these features work on mine as well. I'm pretty certain they are part of the basic package of features that come with the vehicle.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:02 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Who cares if holding the unlock button were hard on the battery? (it's not) The fob battery recharges everytime you drive the car!

I don't have the convenience package either, and it works for me. It's standard on series 2 MINIs with a sunroof

Old 09-03-2010, 10:09 AM
HWY129
2nd Gear
I stand corrected then - it doesn't seem to work on my Clubby and when I asked about it, I was told it was a convenience package option. Guess I'll do some more checking....

Old 09-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Baron Ken
2nd Gear
It may be obvious, but I'll point it out anyway. Holding down the unlock button for a non-sunroof model works as well. It will roll down your windows.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:23 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Who cares if holding the unlock button were hard on the battery? (it's not) The fob battery recharges everytime you drive the car!
Unless, of course, you have Convenience Access; those fobs are not rechargeable.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Prost
4th Gear
Originally Posted by timfitz63
Unless, of course, you have Convenience Access; those fobs are not rechargeable.
Yup

Old 09-04-2010, 12:15 AM
smoke05S
4th Gear
All of the above works on my 2004 Nissan Armada too. I think this is pretty standard stuff on all cars with keyless entry.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:56 AM
Speedwing
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mbu
.... Okay, logic tells me that if I hold my "lock" button on the fob down for a few seconds it would close the window and close the sunroof - right? Wrong! ...Thanks Dave!

Anymore secrets?
Put key in driver's door outside lock and hold in lock position. Car will lock and all windows and roof will close!!

Old 09-04-2010, 05:54 AM
MINILLA
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Speedwing
Put key in driver's door outside lock and hold in lock position. Car will lock and all windows and roof will close!!
Yup! See above.
Philip

Old 09-04-2010, 05:55 AM
MINILLA
4th Gear
Originally Posted by smoke05S
All of the above works on my 2004 Nissan Armada too. I think this is pretty standard stuff on all cars with keyless entry.
Ah....nope!
Philip

Quick Reply: R55 Clubman secrets?