R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Low Electrical Problem - No Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:40 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Low Electrical Problem - No Start

Background: 2009 Clubman has stranded me twice on seperate locations due to low power.
Car will not crank over; although it is obvious that the start solenoid is trying to engage.
Checked for any "on" accessories, open doors, and lights left on. Nothing has been found.

I seem to recall a TSB on MINI's concerning electrical drain issues, is that correct?

Car: 2009 Clubman JCW - Nav - Cold Weather Package - Premium Package - Park Radar

- Erik

Old 08-23-2010, 08:24 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I remember some sort of issue with drain but you may want to have teh battery checked as i know they had a problem with some of the batties going bad as well.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:34 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Is your dealer inconvenient to you? Your car is a 2009, why not take it to them and let them sort it out? Most all MINI dealers provide a loaner while they're working on your car, why not leave it there till it's fixed?????

Old 08-23-2010, 10:01 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
...may want to have teh battery checked as i know they had a problem with some of the batteries going bad as well.
Is there any official documentation on this?

Originally Posted by MINIdave
Is your dealer inconvenient to you?
A hour one way; not too bad.

- Erik

Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by bluefox280
Is there any official documentation on this?
Not sure just that when they replaced mine under warranty my SA was saying they had replace 5-6 that week all under warranty.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Calz
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theres no bulletin on heavy electrical drain... The batteries are a little small in capacity for all the electronics on board... there are problems with IBS if its installed on your car

Old 08-26-2010, 03:34 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Not sure just that when they replaced mine under warranty...
Lucky you; mine was replace for cost due to not enough miles driven per month on the car.
MINI recommended putting minimum of 800 miles a month to keep the battery at good charge.

- Erik

Old 08-26-2010, 03:55 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Calz
Theres no bulletin on heavy electrical drain... The batteries are a little small in capacity for all the electronics on board... there are problems with IBS if its installed on your car
I'm interpreting "IBS" as BMW's Intelligent Battery Sensor; and from your statement, I get the impression that it's optional equipment. If so, how do you check (other than electrical problems/drains) to determine if one is installed on your vehicle? I don't have the original window sticker, so no ability to reference that...

Old 12-22-2010, 11:57 AM
wingerr
Neutral
This key off battery drain issue is what's brought me here to this forum- hi all

On a 2010 Cooper S, I measured the current through the negative battery terminal, which should account for all electrical use.
Immediately after locking the doors, I saw about 2.7A draw, which dropped down in stages as the systems went to sleep and shut down.
Roughly 450mA after about a half minute to 40 seconds post lock.
At about 1 min 12 seconds, it dropped to 260mA and remained there for a long as I cared to stand out in the cold, about 10 minutes.

Not the 1A mentioned here, but even at 250mA, it would be considered a problem by most, as OEM standby current draw should be normally be below 20mA. 250mA is in the range of having a relay or two remaining turned on, which would cause problems unless the car is regularly driven or kept topped with a maintenance charger. I'd find it surprising if this is normal and they simply expect the car to be driven enough to recharge and copensate for this drain.

It may be that it eventually drops to a normal level after some extended period, but I didn't have time to do it, as the car had to be used.

I'll run a test on it if no one's already got the scoop on this, either from official word or their own testing-

Old 12-23-2010, 05:39 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by wingerr
This key off battery drain issue is what's brought me here to this forum- hi all

On a 2010 Cooper S, I measured the current through the negative battery terminal, which should account for all electrical use.
Immediately after locking the doors, I saw about 2.7A draw, which dropped down in stages as the systems went to sleep and shut down.
Roughly 450mA after about a half minute to 40 seconds post lock.
At about 1 min 12 seconds, it dropped to 260mA and remained there for a long as I cared to stand out in the cold, about 10 minutes.

Not the 1A mentioned here, but even at 250mA, it would be considered a problem by most, as OEM standby current draw should be normally be below 20mA. 250mA is in the range of having a relay or two remaining turned on, which would cause problems unless the car is regularly driven or kept topped with a maintenance charger. I'd find it surprising if this is normal and they simply expect the car to be driven enough to recharge and copensate for this drain.

It may be that it eventually drops to a normal level after some extended period, but I didn't have time to do it, as the car had to be used.

I'll run a test on it if no one's already got the scoop on this, either from official word or their own testing-
Well you did not stand there long enough. The car has a 15-30 minute delay on completely shutting down. This is documented in the WDS (schematics) for the 2nd Gen MINI's. The time is dependent on a number of factors or options on the car. I can tell you the bluetooh option kicks the time frame for shut down to over 20 minutes at least on an 08 model that is.

On my 08 if I am on a call via bluetooth in the car I can get out of the car shut the door and lock it, the call will remain on the radio in the car and the radio will not shut down. I.E. I can not hear them now because the door is closed and windows shut but the radio system will remain on until the call is disconnected or 30 minutes has passed which ever comes first. I know this because I have tested it.

Now as most of the systems in the 2010 are the same as the 2008 i suspect you would find the same thing. But at any rate the car does not go to full sleep for approximately 15 minutes.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:48 PM
wingerr
Neutral
Thanks, good info; I figured it might have just needed more time. I'll give it a try when I can give it more time.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Martinld123
Neutral
Originally Posted by bluefox280
Lucky you; mine was replace for cost due to not enough miles driven per month on the car.
MINI recommended putting minimum of 800 miles a month to keep the battery at good charge.

- Erik
If you leave your car keys too close to the car it will drain the battery. I made this mistake when car was in our garage by leaving my keys on the seat when I went on vacation. Our Lexus has same problem if keys are left by it. Ten feet maybe too close but not sure of distance.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:32 PM
turbotraveller
1st Gear
The battery on my 2009 MCS Clubman was replaced under warranty a couple of weeks ago. What started out as an occasional problem turned into a regular process of jumping the car (I'll admit I drive it very little in the winter). With my 2 year service coming up, I was going to have mini address the battery issue, but before I got it there the high pressure fuel pump died. Although not originally offered, I did get four days in a 2011 MCS loaner. Its neat to check out the differences.
For various reasons I keep my key in the garage near the car (not in it). I do not have bluetooth or the comfort access system, but I wonder if I need to find a new storage place for the key that is further away from the car?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:46 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Martinld123
If you leave your car keys too close to the car it will drain the battery. I made this mistake when car was in our garage by leaving my keys on the seat when I went on vacation. Our Lexus has same problem if keys are left by it. Ten feet maybe too close but not sure of distance.
My key hangs on the wall in the garage with in 3 feet of the car and I have NEVER had an issue with the battery going dead from the key fob being to close to the car. I have Comfort Access (CA).

I have had issues of a bad battery (very common issue on the 2nd gen MINI) and there is NO reason that this should cause any problem. I have even left the car for more than a week with the key fob hanging in its normal spot and been able to get in the car after coming back and start it with no problem.

It is also very well known that the alternator on this car can barely keep up if you are running headlights and some other electronics in the car. So short drives and many starts are going to be a problem.

The car does go thru a polling of all the computers occasionally but should not see the key unless you press on one of the CA buttons. That is how it is designed.