R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Secret compartment removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010 | 06:20 PM
slimjimtell
|
5th Gear
Secret compartment removal

Does anyone have written instructions for removing the pocket in the "secret" compartment?

Old 09-09-2010 | 06:27 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Hey, slimjim, check this thread out. I think it'll get you where you want to go!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...oard-dash.html

Old 09-09-2010 | 06:47 PM
slimjimtell
|
5th Gear
Nope that's not it, I'm trying to remove the POCKET, not the trim piece on the secret door.

Old 09-09-2010 | 06:54 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Ooops--didn't read closely enough. Good luck!

Old 09-09-2010 | 08:02 PM
blitzcat
2nd Gear
It is fiercely difficult. I used pliers and it was slightly tweaked after. But I wasn't replacing the pocket since I was installing the ipod adapter.

Old 09-11-2010 | 02:58 PM
slimjimtell
|
5th Gear
Ok,
I got it!

Not hard,

Open secret door
Pop of two small covers on outside of hinges
Take out 3 screws on right air vent. This will loosen it up
Remove 3 screws in glove box holding knee panel on
Remove 2 screws in top of knee panel
Carefully remove knee panel
Remove 3 screws holding the secret door and secret box
Carefully remove box and door.

Old 01-24-2011 | 03:26 PM
peporter
2nd Gear
..and then?

Followed your directions, and Presto, out the secret comes. Now, what is the trick to getting the liner out? Since I'm going back in with the interface kit, do I just rip and mangle all the tabs, or am I missing something here? Been wrestling with it for about 15 minutes, and nary a wiggle.
Phil

Originally Posted by slimjimtell
Ok,
I got it!

Not hard,

Open secret door
Pop of two small covers on outside of hinges
Take out 3 screws on right air vent. This will loosen it up
Remove 3 screws in glove box holding knee panel on
Remove 2 screws in top of knee panel
Carefully remove knee panel
Remove 3 screws holding the secret door and secret box
Carefully remove box and door.

Old 01-24-2011 | 03:29 PM
blitzcat
2nd Gear
get some strong needle nose pliers, a flat screw driver to get the corner started.

removed the incorrect part

Last edited by blitzcat; 01-24-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: I gave bad info
Old 01-24-2011 | 03:35 PM
blitzcat
2nd Gear
scratch that. I'm uploading pictures of the tabs you need to release now to free it easily now. Just a minute.

Old 01-24-2011 | 03:37 PM
blitzcat
2nd Gear
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blitzcat/5386047802/http://www.flickr.com/photos/blitzcat/5386047802/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/blitzcat/http://www.flickr.com/photos/blitzcat/5385446913/http://www.flickr.com/photos/blitzcat/5385446913/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/blitzcat/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blitzcat/5385447981/http://www.flickr.com/photos/blitzcat/5385447981/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/blitzcat/

Old 01-24-2011 | 03:39 PM
blitzcat
2nd Gear
there is a tab on each side, hard to get too. Use a flat screwdriver on each side of the liner to press them down. You will have to deform the lip around the edge of the compartment liner to do this. Then use the pliers to get some purchase on the lip somewhere, and yank on the lip once you think both tabs are compressed.

You might need an assistant to pry the screwdrivers in while you do the pulling.

I think there is a special too to assist doing this, like a car stereo install tool, but since the liner isn't reused...

Old 01-24-2011 | 04:19 PM
peporter
2nd Gear
AAARRRRRGH!!! I just put the interface in upside down from the instructions. Do you think I ought to try to get it out and reverse it? It looks good, and there shouldn't be a problem with drilling the holes. Once again, am I missing something here?(I think the wire from the interface should come in from the top anyhow...)

Originally Posted by blitzcat
there is a tab on each side, hard to get too. Use a flat screwdriver on each side of the liner to press them down. You will have to deform the lip around the edge of the compartment liner to do this. Then use the pliers to get some purchase on the lip somewhere, and yank on the lip once you think both tabs are compressed.

You might need an assistant to pry the screwdrivers in while you do the pulling.

I think there is a special too to assist doing this, like a car stereo install tool, but since the liner isn't reused...

Old 01-24-2011 | 04:24 PM
blitzcat
2nd Gear
Assuming you are past making the connection to the head unit, I think you should plug in the ipod, insert your key and see if it charges/says MINI on the ipod screen. It will do that (I think) without programming the actual head unit. If it works, then your wiring loom is OK. As long as you can put the secret cover and the dash back in with it flipped, go ahead.

If it doesn't power up and charge, you know the wiring loom isn't quite right, so you need to get it out.

Old 01-24-2011 | 04:36 PM
blitzcat
2nd Gear
It should connect on the screen something like this. It might not charge if you have not bought a charging adapter like the Scosche yet.

Mini boost screen with schrothe charger by blitzcat

I just read over the install directions again, didn't see any reason you cannot leave it up-side down.

Old 01-24-2011 | 04:48 PM
peporter
2nd Gear
Mine is a Classic, so I'm hoping no adapters are necessary. Plugs right up to the connector. I'm out of daylight, so I'm shutting down for the night. Thanks ever so much to you and all the others who have commented, tomorrow will tell the tale!
Phil

Originally Posted by blitzcat
It should connect on the screen something like this. It might not charge if you have not bought a charging adapter like the Scosche yet.

Mini boost screen with schrothe charger by blitzcat

I just read over the install directions again, didn't see any reason you cannot leave it up-side down.

Old 01-25-2011 | 06:44 PM
peporter
2nd Gear
Andthis is what I discovered...

!. It doesn't matter if you install the interface upside down or not. The wiring from the car only fits one way, and you can't install it backwards. The connector from the car is " T " shaped, and you can't make a mistake.

2. The wiring to the interface is a bear to get out of the tape. Once it is free of the tape, it stretches out plenty long enough to easily make the connection. You definitely have to pull the whole compartment out to do the work.

3. I hooked the Ipod Classic up to the interface and turned the ignition on, and nothing appeared on the screen, even when I turned it on. May just be one of those "Classic" things.

4. Putting the compartment back into it's hole, be careful of the extra length of the wire going to the interface from the Ipod. I got it all back together, and I guess I didn't get the trim piece on the left side in exactly right because the door now binds a little. Will let the tech wrestle with it when I take it in to have it programed.

5. Following the directions earlier in this thread made getting the compartment out real easy. Getting the tray out of the compartment was something else though. As was said, go ahead and tear it up, you won't be using it again anyhow.

6. Many thanks to al who contributed to this thread, and, just my opinion, it ought to be made a sticky. Once again, thanks all!!
Phil

Old 01-28-2011 | 08:46 PM
peporter
2nd Gear
..and some more....

A number of things just bugged me about this install. The first was that the compartment door wouldn't close all the way like it should. Since I already had the routine down, it only took me about 5 minutes to get the dash taken apart again and the compartment removed. Somehow, during all of the wrestling around with the liner this spring mechanism got out of align.
DSCN0349.jpg

After I got it all aligned, the door closed and opened properly. The next thing that bugged me was a reference to a shorting plug that had to be removed, and while I found a plug on the end of the wiring and removed it, plugged it in and figured that was all, it wasn't No one references the fiber optic cable bundle clipped to the fire wall that has to be freed, and the cables released from their connector.

DSCN0350.jpg
The bundle is at the rear of the compartment here.
DSCN0355.jpg

I finally got the fiber optic bundle unplugged from its connector, snapped into the wire connector, and plugged into the interface. From there it was just a matter of putting it all back together, and the compartment door closed with no binding or problems. I turned the Ipod on and then plugged it in, but still no action indicating the Mini sees it. Have an appointment Monday to take it in and get the programing done, hope that cures all. I will post a thread on my equipment and installation later on. IT SOUNDS INCREDIBLE!!! Took it down to Advantage Audio in Norman, OK to get it tuned on their Real Time Analyzer, best money I have spent! They took about 5 hours, fixed some of my mistakes, and just did a first class job!!They are tops in my book!!

Attached Thumbnails Secret compartment removal-dscn0350.jpg   Secret compartment removal-dscn0349.jpg   Secret compartment removal-dscn0355.jpg