R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Tire Warranty Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:41 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Warranty Experience

I am one of those that decided to buy the tire warranty (tires and rims hazard insurance $799 for 5 years). I decided to buy it because my Prelude also had narrow profile tires and thru it's lifetime at least 2 tires were taken out by potholes (on 14th St Bridge going into Wash,DC). In those two instances, tire held pressure but was pinched between pothole and rim.

So, my Clubman now is about 17 mos old and with 19000 miles on the tires. I wound up hitting a concrete/curb type block with my front driver's side wheel. My rim suffered a big gouge in the outside edge. I was bringing my MINI in for the maintenance mileage indicator going to zero free service and the wind-up was the dealer (MINI of Sterling) replaced the rim and 17" Continental Run Flat tire with new and also pointed out to me that the other front tire must have suffered a past pothole injury because it had a slight bulge in it's sidewall and the rim had a bit of black tire mark on it indicating that the tire was pinched. So they wound up replacing the right front tire as well. When they talked to the tire warranty company, they wanted the old rim/tire saved to have an inspector take a look at it which they did and approved the costs. (I was able to leave the dealership with my MINI just that the billing was awaiting finalizing until the tire inspector gave his blessing.)

Just to give you an idea of what the dealer would charge for this without the warranty, the billing indicates the left front tire and rim a whopping $554 and the cost of the right front tire $300 for a combined total pushing over $850. (This includes the balancing, valve stem, install costs. I still have 3 1/2 yrs left on my tire warranty.

The thing is that at the above costs, one would normally get the tires and rim replaced at a tire store and save a bunch. Without a tire warranty that would be definitely the way to go !
But just thought I would share how this worked out for me. Going to the dealer was basically a one stop shot with bringing my MINI in for it's free maintenance and they have the tires and rim in stock and so this was a big timesaver for me, no hassles and the other tire was replaced as well for a deficiency I missed spotting but dealer followed thru with the warranty company and had that replaced as well.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:55 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I passed on this because I thought that the price was outrageous but it seems it worked out well for you!!

Old 09-18-2010, 07:24 AM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
I too passed on the tire warranty because when I left the dealership, I drove 70 miles, jacked the car up and slapped on a new set of 17" wheels and non runflat tires that I have 850.00 in. I sold my 16" wheels and run flats for 450.00, now I have 400 bucks in a set of 17"ers. Replacement cost for 2 would be around 400 bucks, so that puts me back to 800 bucks or so, same as warranty and I don't ever have to replace hard, non performing run flats.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:22 PM
kevnallen
1st Gear
After replacing one set of run-flats at 21K, I kinda wish I would have gotten the warranty. I'm now at 38K and can see that another set of tires will be needed in the low to mid 40s.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:18 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Understand your feelings.

At the cost of the dealer's tire warranty, it is understandable to seek other solutions especially for those that have decided to replace tires right from the beginning with non-run flats. But many are going to drive the MINI just as they received it with all stock equipment as delivered. So, it's really a question of the roads you drive on regularly and assessing your chances of frequently experiencing road hazards. The warranty does not work on tires that are just mileage worn but if the tires have been pinched by a pothole or the rim damaged by a road hazard, then the warranty does kick in. I know the tire warranty is not for everyone but thought I would share my unusual expereince where it was a benefit and in the first 17 mos of the 60 month warranty ! The thing is that this was basically a one stop shot when I brought my MINI in for it's second scheduled maintenance visit. So, while there other solutions, they all involve addl visits to square away tire issues separately. With the warranty, I had no addl hours to deal with my MINI.....except the dreaded engine indicator light went on last week with 19500 miles on the MINI. Dealer was great ! We discussed the tire story again since it was unusual and then they kept my MINI and gave me a loaner. They reset the engine computer and did a carbon treatment. All is well again. No addl tire issues yet ! But winter is coming

Old 10-15-2010, 08:19 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
This is unbelievable...!

Okay...So, I had the 2 front tires and 1 rim replaced under the tire warranty. This all happened in the last 30 days.
Yesterday, I had to park in a gravel parking lot and when I exited, it seemed that I picked up a big stone in one of my tires. When I got home, I checked and one of my old tires, the driver's side rear had a bolt head screw in it. I couldn't believe it...at least it was not one of the new tires ! Geesh...how many tire issues can one have in such a short period of time ! Well, my thought was that I would start to unscrew it and see if any leaks. If none, well then I was considering leaving it as is. I took a box wrench to the bolt head and started unscrewing it - air started hissing out, so I screwed it back in. It was fairly late...after 5pm...I called Mini Of Sterling and I was told that the mechanics had left but I could come in the morning or drop it off at night. I decided to go down and drop it off last night for them to fix the "flat"...well not flat if the screw is left in...but who knows for how long it will stay in ? So, my wife followed in our other car. No surprises...got to the dealership....after 6pm.

My service advisor happened to still be there and he indicated they could look at it right away...that was last night. It appears they still had a skeleton service staff working for a bit longer. I told him that I was told over the phone by someone that they would not be able to look at it last night, so I was prepared to drop it off but if they could square it away, that would be great. He said for a favorite customer...They could do it now ! (Wow ! He was pressing the right buttons !)

About a half hour later, he came over and handed me the keys - It was all done !

So, I was telling the guys at work this story about the 2 front tires and rim replaced under the tire warranty and now they fixed a flat and not even any paperwork..just handed me the keys !

I get home today and I see there is an EMail from the dealership, it's a copy of my invoice ? It's for approxiately $300 !!!!!!!!!!!!
They replaced the tire !!!!!! I thought they had only fixed the flat. My service advisor had just handed me the keys and that was it ! I just went into our garage and with a spotlight, took a good look at the tire and...sure enough it is a new tire !!
But here's the kicker ----There was no cost for me !! This now was the third new tire (and a rim) that I have received off the tire warranty and I am only 1 1/2 yrs into the 5 year warranty !

Now...If only I can find some more Bolt screws in that parking lot and run over it with my passenger side rear tire !!!

Unbelievable !

Last edited by OLarryR; 10-15-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:04 PM
since041309
1st Gear
can I purchase this tire/wheel warrenty after i ran 2000 miles?

Hi guy,

I am having very hard time with tire & rim because of potholes and i didnt know anything about this warrenty on tire&wheel.
can i still purchase this warrenty after 2 month after i got my 2011 clubman S?
thanks,

Jay

Old 02-06-2011, 02:56 PM
razorfish228
1st Gear
Originally Posted by since041309
Hi guy,

I am having very hard time with tire & rim because of potholes and i didnt know anything about this warrenty on tire&wheel.
can i still purchase this warrenty after 2 month after i got my 2011 clubman S?
thanks,

Jay
You can't do it. I have a 2011 with less than 600 miles and they said once you left the dealership and did not buy the warranty, than thats it!

Buy aftermarket from tire rack or discount tire direct and purchase the road hazzard.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:02 PM
ART ED
4th Gear
My warranty on the tires paid for itself the first six months of ownership. Definitely worth the cash!

Old 02-10-2011, 02:18 PM
since041309
1st Gear
I understand condition of roads in LA but also very suprised that OEM wheels are so weak and fragile.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:34 PM
gothmdoc
4th Gear
I just got my Driver side rear tire replaced after a nail got wedged in it... total was $422 with labor and all. Tire itself was $280 (conti 17 RF's), but I'll be getting back around $360+ in 1-2 weeks with the tire warranty coverage.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:57 PM
iloveminis
2nd Gear
tire warranty

I recently had two run flats replaced... 600$.

I called the dealer to inquire about getting the warranty after the fact.
He said he'd talk to the boss. He called me back excited. He can work me a deal...

5yrs/unlimited tires/rims for 1100$$$

It was only 800$ when I was buying the car. I started to tell him about the dings on my rims. He said don't mention it right now, just make a claim on it after 45 days to get it fixed.

Is this a good deal? Should I try to get it at 800$?

Thanks.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:26 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by iloveminis
I recently had two run flats replaced... 600$.

I called the dealer to inquire about getting the warranty after the fact.
He said he'd talk to the boss. He called me back excited. He can work me a deal...

5yrs/unlimited tires/rims for 1100$$$

It was only 800$ when I was buying the car. I started to tell him about the dings on my rims. He said don't mention it right now, just make a claim on it after 45 days to get it fixed.

Is this a good deal? Should I try to get it at 800$?

Thanks.

Only hazards from the road will be covered. So basically side dings from anything and curb rash are not covered.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:38 PM
mgs9500
1st Gear
Ok, thought I would put in my two cents.

I realize that there will be many postings about how the warranty paid for itself because of an unusual set of circumstances..

However, all consumer agencies note that the extended warranties on cars/ tires and other automobile services are rarely needed and rarely pay for themselves.

Also, regardless of the invoice, tire rack sells the OEM tires for the mini cooper for $190.00 each. Four tires are $760.00, less than the cost of the insurance.

Realizing that one must get the tires mounted, one would have to have four flat tires in the first 30,000 miles to make the warranty worth while. I realize that this may happen, and rim dings do occur. But the warranty sales are big money makers for the Mini cooper dealer and the company that sells the service.

I opted out of all the warranties, despite very strong dealer attempts to make me buy them.

I have yet to regret this decision on a car purchase.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:31 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
I have not been back in a long time since I first posted this thread...well, here's an update ! Guess what....The 4th tire was now replaced under the tire warrnaty !! Invoice indicated $295...My cost --$ 0

Let me respond to the last posting regarding what other consumer agencies say about not getting warranties, etc:

1) In general, I agree with your comments - Warranties rarely pay for themselves. But this is when you as an individual must take what you read in print and then consider if it applies to your situation. In my case and I am sure for some others, it makes sense to get the tire warranty which was I believe either $700 or $800 at time I bought my then new 2009 Clubman. This was based on the daily commute to work on roads that frequently had potholes....mostly over te 14 street bridge into Washington, DC (By the way, they are now overhauling the bridge structure and road surface). Also based on past experience with narrow profile tires on my Prelude whereby I had 3 tires taken out on that car as well. The Mini has even narrower profile tires than the Prelude.

Next thing, your thinking regarding buying 4 tires fro $760 is not reality. Reality is that you get a road hazard condition to one tire at a time or maybe two at the same time and the tire companies only have the special deals as you stated...when you buy 4 tires at once and that is not how tire hazards generally happen and so you have to go by the single tire price. Using the $190 tire rack price you mentioned...you then have to get the tire installed and balanced. My dealer charges $255 for the tire and $40 for the labor. So...figure a local shop will do the labor for maybe ..$20 which brings the tire rack/local install to a price of $190 + 20 plus tax = ~ $220. This is far cheaper than the dealer's price of with tax...just over $300. But at $220 per tire and adding that up for the 4 separate road hazard events I had and the rim....It would not have been any less than $880 plus rim...well over $1000...and I still have 3 years remaining on my warranty. So...the warranty works for those in urban areas where there are frequent potholes. Elsewhere....probably not worth buying the warranty. So, for many out there, I would agree with your assessment....but it worked for me.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:37 PM
MaybeMCSC
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems like there is a great deal of variability in what people are actually paying for the tire/wheel warranty. And I guess the time period you buy it for can vary, as well.

Curious if others can share the price they paid and for what time period?

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2011, 05:54 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
It seems that warranty has been sold anywhere's from $700-$1100. Maybe it has to do with when it was offered ? My cost was a cost 2 years ago. Maybe the cost these days is more ?

I also thought of another thing regarding the comparison of tire rack vs dealer or local bought tire. When a road hazard occurs, you aim to get the flat fixed right away...like when it happened or perhaps hours later. In the case of a road pinch to the sidewall, well then you probably can wait awhile and then ordering a tire thru tire rack is doable..for the single tire road hazard. But what about the convenience when you suffer the road hazard and can get the tire fixed right away ! Discount tire comparisons sound great but not when you have to have a tire replaed the same or next day.

Warranties - In all the cars we have owned in the past, there are only 2 or 3 that we bought warranties and they worked out mostly for me. But again, you have to cnsider your situation since many warranties are just moneymakers for the car dealers or third party insurers.

One case where many would probably agree it makes sense to get a warranty is for a car that you know has had less than steller reliability ratings: Many years ago, we bought a Dodge caravan. It was in those days when Chrysler had the corner of the market on minivan sales...but they had transmission, etc issues. We bought that car with a warranty. That car...we knew the Dodge mechanics on a first name basis we were there so often but money-wise...very little out of pocket expense because of recalls especially their unreliable anti-lock brake assembly which failed 3 times including 2 miles out of the dealership on first day and because we bought the extended warranty.
We have had many Hondas and never had a warranty except for one - The first year or so that the Honda Odyssey was produced with sliding doors. I was concerned with those doors...and they were fixed twice during the extended warranty which about equaled the warranty cost. So...that was sort of a break even deal, whereas, the Caravan...we made out big time !

So...here we are with the Mini-Cooper......I was concerned with the BMW costs of everything...and so I bought all the warranties except not for a lost key. I had the dough at the time of buying my Mini and so I decided to go with the warranties. The tire warranty has paid off already. I actually hope the extended warranty on the car does not pay off. The amount I have saved on the tire warranty has lowered mu cost on the other warranty is how I look at it. and...I would rather the car be reliable than have to cover expensive dealer visits with the extended warranty. But if need be...it's in place !