R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Prospective Clubman buyer needs advice, please :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010 | 09:47 PM
HelloRaquel
|
Neutral
Prospective Clubman buyer needs advice, please :)

Hello all.

I'm looking at buying a 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman (automatic trans) and I was hoping I could get some words of wisdom from some Mini owners. I've been doing a little research and I'm starting to get scared off a little by all the horrible things I've read about Mini's transmission problems. If I do get this car, I desperately need it to be reliable as it will be a commuter car. I've had transmission problems with another car and I don't want to go through that again.

Can anyone tell me what their experience has been with the 2008 Clubman?

Thanks

Old 10-23-2010 | 11:18 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Well I've got a 2010 Clubman S auto tranny and have 7000+ miles on it so far since I picked it up in July. This is my 3rd MINI since 2003 and I absolutely love it!

Originally Posted by HelloRaquel
Hello all.

I'm looking at buying a 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman (automatic trans) and I was hoping I could get some words of wisdom from some Mini owners. I've been doing a little research and I'm starting to get scared off a little by all the horrible things I've read about Mini's transmission problems. If I do get this car, I desperately need it to be reliable as it will be a commuter car. I've had transmission problems with another car and I don't want to go through that again.

Thanks

Old 10-24-2010 | 04:27 AM
joey4420
2nd Gear
I can't say anything about the Auto trans, except that it is a BMW sourced transmission and should last.

I have the 6 speed manual, and have 11,xxx miles since June..

Old 10-24-2010 | 04:58 AM
kami_sn
2nd Gear
I tought the problematic transmission was the CVT not the regular auto...

Old 10-24-2010 | 05:00 AM
MINILLA
4th Gear
The transmission problems were mainly with the CVT automatics .....I don't believe that the present automatic transmission in the Clubman is a problem...I'm on my second automatic MINI having traded a Coupe for the Clubman.
Philip

Old 10-24-2010 | 06:15 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Bear in mind that, as you read through these types of vehicle forums, you'll start to wonder if any car is reliable because you seemingly read nothing but complaints. On the whole, I think the MINI is a relatively reliable vehicle, but you do need to be aware of a few of the more common issues when going to make your purchase.

I can't recall reading anything about mechanical problems with the current transmissions themselves (either automatic or manual). There have been a rash of reports associated with the 2010 automatics where the vehicle dies upon restart; this appears to be the result of a software glitch that is easily corrected with an update. The manual transmissions do seem to experience clutch failures from time to time (I guess it's a fuzzy line whether you lump clutches in as part of the transmission). Personally, I've got the manual, and for the JCW Clubman, it's a different (beefier) unit than the basic 6-speed used in the Clubman/Clubman S. About 12,000 miles on it, and it seems to be performing just fine (clutch too).

The other, more common problems areas seem confined to the panorama roof (functional issues when outside temperatures are hot); window "dippers;" and high-pressure fuel pumps (HPFP)/carbon build-up in the turbocharged versions. The roof and "dipper" problems seem to be easily correctable by the dealer; and in the case of the HPFP, MINI recently extended the warranty on that part to 10 years/120,000 miles, so that should weigh into your decision as well. Carbon build-up is an ongoing battle with MINI, but the group wisdom on the forum seems to believe this is primarily a byproduct of the basic engine design (direct-injection) rather than a design-flaw per se on the part of MINI/BMW; direct-injection engines produced by other manufacturers seem to be experiencing the same issue. Corrective/preventative measures seem to range from use of a product called "Seafoam" to direct cleaning (which can be expensive; and whether it's covered under the Maintenance Plan/Warranty seems to vary from dealer to dealer).

Last edited by timfitz63; 10-24-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-24-2010 | 07:56 AM
Tata Steva
5th Gear
My ride is a 2008 Clubman S, manual...

One thing is so true: don't read car forums to make your self "make a decision" about any car!
Decide first, and than read the posts about CVT problems, cold start problems, sun roof problems, etc...
Yes, those are some of the "issues", but it's not a "standard" for this MINI...
Main issue is are you willing to have an "expensive" small European car when for the same amount of $$ you can have so many bigger, faster, "more manly" American Cars???
If you can, than get a MINI and have fun...

Old 10-24-2010 | 11:34 AM
jonabad
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by HelloRaquel
Hello all.

Thanks
Hi! I have a 2008 Clubman S with a manual and over 42,000 miles, its our commuter and everything car!
I have never had any transmission or clutch issues. In fact, all of my issues have been minor and quickly addressed by the dealers in my area.

The other folks that have replied are right on the money, its quite rare to see "hey guys, everything's fine!" posts, so it definitely clouds your view to look around here and you might even get paranoid about the various noises and things people are reporting.

Good luck and welcome to the family!

Old 10-24-2010 | 12:45 PM
HelloRaquel
|
Neutral
thank you :)

Hey thanks everyone for all the input!

I think you all are right about not reading these forums in order to help me make a decision. I just figured the people here would know best, being Mini owners and all. I am totally the paranoid type and I think I've been traumatized by my previous transmission troubles.

I will definitely remember all the words of wisdom I've gotten here and I appreciate everyone's help!